PDA

View Full Version : Vatican Council and Papal Statements on Islam

Cypress
01-01-2018, 12:50 PM
"The Vatican II council knew what it thought of Islamophobia or irrational hatred of Muslims. It called us all to something better, to an acknowledgement that Jesus and Mary unite people of faith, rather than dividing them and that discrimination against people on the basis of their religion or race is always wrong. The Qur’an also puts Jesus under the sign of peace." -- Dr. Juan Cole

Vatican Council and Papal Statements on Islam

Second Vatican Council

“But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place among whom are the Muslims: these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day.”

"The Church has also a high regard for the Muslims. They worship God, who is one, living and subsistent, merciful and almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth (Cf. St. Gregory VII, Letter III, 21 to Anazir [Al-Nasir], King of Mauretania PL, 148.451A.), who has spoken to men. They strive to submit themselves without reserve to the hidden decrees of God, just as Abraham submitted himself to God’s plan, to whose faith Muslims eagerly link their own. Although not acknowledging him as God, they venerate Jesus as a prophet, his Virgin Mother they also honor, and even at times devoutly invoke. Further, they await the day of judgment and the reward of God following the resurrection of the dead. For this reason they highly esteem an upright life and worship God, especially by way of prayer, alms-deeds and fasting.

“Over the centuries many quarrels and dissensions have arisen between Christians and Muslims. The sacred Council now pleads with all to forget the past, and urges that a sincere effort be made to achieve mutual understanding; for the benefit of all men, let them together preserve and promote peace, liberty, social justice and moral values.”

“Therefore, the Church reproves, as foreign to the mind of Christ, any discrimination against people or any harassment of them on the basis of their race, color, condition in life or religion. Accordingly, following the footsteps of the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, the sacred Council earnestly begs the Christian faithful to ‘conduct themselves well among the Gentiles’ (1P 2:12) and if possible, as far as depends on them, to be at peace with all men (cf. Rm 12:18), and in that way to be true sons of the Father who is in heaven (cf. Mt 5:45

http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/ecumenical-and-interreligious/interreligious/islam/vatican-council-and-papal-statements-on-islam.cfm

https://www.juancole.com/2017/12/muslim-scripture-about.html

evince
01-01-2018, 12:52 PM
now the right will hate the pope

Cypress
01-01-2018, 12:56 PM

Islamophobia is a cottage industry, that some industrious rightwingers have gotten rich on by duping and manipulating their intellectual inferiors in the broader wingnutosphere.

Vatican II, the Pope, and probably the vast majority of biblical scholars and theologians are capable of recognizing these two religious traditions have much in common, including veneration of Jesus, and worship of the same God.

evince
01-01-2018, 12:59 PM
organized religion needs to stop helping the evil ones create hate.

this pope is helping that cause

they will hate him for it

Hermes Thoth
03-08-2018, 09:47 AM

All moral people hate the pope And the Catholic molestation machine.

Hermes Thoth
03-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Islamophobia is a cottage industry, that some industrious rightwingers have gotten rich on by duping and manipulating their intellectual inferiors in the broader wingnutosphere.

Vatican II, the Pope, and probably the vast majority of biblical scholars and theologians are capable of recognizing these two religious traditions have much in common, including veneration of Jesus, and worship of the same God.

So you don't really believe in multiculturalism.

kudzu
03-08-2018, 10:20 AM
All moral people hate the pope And the Catholic molestation machine.

You are part of the problem.

Hermes Thoth
03-08-2018, 10:21 AM
You are part of the problem.

I am the solution, mofo.

kudzu
03-08-2018, 10:22 AM

Yep the insta-pundits popped out of the woodwork after 911... Fox has sponsored some real idiots.

kudzu
03-08-2018, 10:22 AM
I am the solution, mofo.

Nope.. You are very ignorant which is really appalling after 17 years.

Hermes Thoth
03-08-2018, 10:30 AM
Nope.. You are very ignorant which is really appalling after 17 years.

No. We all reject your one world religion hokum. Are you ready to enforce your retarded religious interpretations onto others with violence?

kudzu
03-08-2018, 10:39 AM
No. We all reject your one world religion hokum. Are you ready to enforce your retarded religious interpretations onto others with violence?

I don't believe in one world religion.

Hermes Thoth
03-08-2018, 10:42 AM
I don't believe in one world religion.

Why are you so divisive and hateful?

Frank Apisa
03-08-2018, 10:42 AM

So...you reject their blind guesses about the true nature of the REALITY of existence...and want to stick with your blind guess about the true nature of the REALITY of existence.

Okay...that works for me. It certainly is your right.

Hermes Thoth
03-08-2018, 10:47 AM
So...you reject their blind guesses about the true nature of the REALITY of existence...and want to stick with your blind guess about the true nature of the REALITY of existence.

Okay...that works for me. It certainly is your right.

Thanks for believing in religious freedom.

kudzu
03-08-2018, 10:47 AM
Why are you so divisive and hateful?

I think if you treat people with courtesy and respect that is usually what you get in return.

Frank Apisa
03-08-2018, 10:49 AM
Thanks for believing in religious freedom.

I do not do "believing."

If you are thanking me for indicating I respect your right to stick with your own blind guesses about the true nature of the REALITY of existence...rather than accepting someone else's blind guesses...you are welcome.

Hermes Thoth
03-09-2018, 11:28 AM
I do not do "believing."

If you are thanking me for indicating I respect your right to stick with your own blind guesses about the true nature of the REALITY of existence...rather than accepting someone else's blind guesses...you are welcome.

That's called freedom of thought and religion.

Cypress
03-12-2018, 08:59 PM
Good thing I am not inclined to waste time reading the undoubtedly boring ramblings of bigots.

Always worth reminding myself that away from the rightwing bigotry of social misfits and sociopaths on obscure message boards, there is a whole world of progressive Christians, free thinkers, and theological scholars who recognize the fellowship and fraternity of the two religious traditions of Islam and Christianity.

The Presbyterian Church (USA)

"Christians and Muslims"

The nature of the relationship between Christians and Muslims is significant to the whole human family. We have been in contact with one another for more than fourteen centuries. Today both together comprise nearly half the world’s population.

Christians respond to the challenges of our contemporary encounters with Islam through faith in the sovereignty of God over the world. Our search for faithful living must be motivated by a desire to love God, to be obedient to God’s will, and to love neighbors as ourselves—whether they be “neighbors” or “enemies.” Where this may lead and how it will bring new understanding between Christians and Muslims rest in the mercy and grace of God. Both Christians and Muslims are challenged to allow God to guide them into a future free from hatred, free from fear, and directed by hopeful love. The future holds the possibility that in our shared life, Christians and Muslims may faithfully respond to God and realize the peace and justice so desperately needed.

Support the search to promote understanding:

• Get to know and become friends with Muslim neighbors. Plan reciprocal visits, as appropriate.
• Identify and counteract prejudicial and abusive behavior toward Muslims in your community and our society.
• Be sensitive to stereotypical characterizations of Islam and Muslims.
• Consider questions arising from key dialogue issues facing Christians and Muslims.
• Study about Islam.

Support the search for cooperation:

• Promote relationships and dialogue with Muslims, giving attention to practical, theological, and historical dimensions.
• Identify common concerns with Muslims. Explore ways to address concerns cooperatively and to engage in joint efforts.

continued
http://www.pcusa.org/site_media/media/uploads/interfaithrelations/pdf/christiansmuslims.pdf