PDA

View Full Version : America was not founded on....

midcan5
11-21-2017, 02:45 PM
So many myths dominate American discourse today and religion is one of the big sticks.

“the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.”

"Speaking at a rally on the steps of the U.S. Capitol on May 16, 1920, Baptist theologian George Washington Truett proudly declared that the separation of church and state was “preeminently a Baptist achievement.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/roy-moore-is-a-fraud/2017/11/17/45c0edfe-caf9-11e7-8321-481fd63f174d_story.html

"The Real Origins of the Religious Right - They’ll tell you it was abortion. Sorry, the historical record’s clear: It was segregation.""

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/05/religious-right-real-origins-107133

"But the abortion myth quickly collapses under historical scrutiny. In fact, it wasn’t until 1979—a full six years after Roe—that evangelical leaders, at the behest of conservative activist Paul Weyrich, seized on abortion not for moral reasons, but as a rallying-cry to deny President Jimmy Carter a second term. Why? Because the anti-abortion crusade was more palatable than the religious right’s real motive: protecting segregated schools."

"The abuse of women and girls is the most pervasive and unaddressed human rights violation on earth." Jimmy Carter

"Abolition of a woman's right to abortion, when and if she wants it, amounts to compulsory maternity: a form of rape by the State." Edward Abbey

RB 60
11-21-2017, 02:47 PM
So many myths dominate American discourse today and religion is one of the big sticks.

“the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.”

"Speaking at a rally on the steps of the U.S. Capitol on May 16, 1920, Baptist theologian George Washington Truett proudly declared that the separation of church and state was “preeminently a Baptist achievement.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/roy-moore-is-a-fraud/2017/11/17/45c0edfe-caf9-11e7-8321-481fd63f174d_story.html

"The Real Origins of the Religious Right - They’ll tell you it was abortion. Sorry, the historical record’s clear: It was segregation.""

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/05/religious-right-real-origins-107133

"But the abortion myth quickly collapses under historical scrutiny. In fact, it wasn’t until 1979—a full six years after Roe—that evangelical leaders, at the behest of conservative activist Paul Weyrich, seized on abortion not for moral reasons, but as a rallying-cry to deny President Jimmy Carter a second term. Why? Because the anti-abortion crusade was more palatable than the religious right’s real motive: protecting segregated schools."

"The abuse of women and girls is the most pervasive and unaddressed human rights violation on earth." Jimmy Carter

"Abolition of a woman's right to abortion, when and if she wants it, amounts to compulsory maternity: a form of rape by the State." Edward Abbey

It was founded on God, Guns and Guts. Liberals hate all three.

Phantasmal
11-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Really, no liberal believe in God or have guns? What exactly is the definition of guts?

Cancel 2018.1
11-21-2017, 02:54 PM

I don't hear much from or about the religious right anymore.
And segregated schools are passé, a moot point, aren't they? I've never heard of segregated school for decades, not even private ones.
So what's the point of the OP? A history lesson?
Plus it's kind of rambling going from one topic to another.

MAGA MAN
11-21-2017, 04:27 PM
I don't hear much from or about the religious right anymore.
And segregated schools are passé, a moot point, aren't they? I've never heard of segregated school for decades, not even private ones.
So what's the point of the OP? A history lesson?
Plus it's kind of rambling going from one topic to another.

Midcan doesn't have original thoughts of his own. He like to read books though, and quote the parts that he believes in.

Русский агент
11-21-2017, 05:05 PM
Midcan doesn't have original thoughts of his own. He like to read books though, and quote the parts that he believes in.

I thought he was Liberace.

PostmodernProphet
11-21-2017, 05:11 PM

true, it was founded by Christians telling government to keep their fucking hands off religion........

neither actually......it was formed in the vacuum caused by the absence of a religious Left......

Cancel 2018.1
11-21-2017, 05:15 PM
I thought he was Liberace.

Close. I thought she was a transgender who admired Liberace.

archives
11-21-2017, 05:27 PM
true, it was founded by Christians telling government to keep their fucking hands off religion........

neither actually......it was formed in the vacuum caused by the absence of a religious Left......

And today we have Christians attempting to employ the Gov't to enforce their views, appears the country has come full circle in your understanding

MAGA MAN
11-21-2017, 05:40 PM
And today we have Christians attempting to employ the Gov't to enforce their views, appears the country has come full circle in your understanding

Examples?

floridafan
11-21-2017, 05:42 PM

Your god or mine, asshole?

archives
11-21-2017, 05:45 PM
Examples?

Really?

Obvious example, what does a lot of Christian groups want made illegal that a whole segment of society doesn't believe has anything to do with religion. From there it should be easy

MAGA MAN
11-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Really?

Obvious example, what does a lot of Christian groups want made illegal that a whole segment of society doesn't believe has anything to do with religion. From there it should be easy

Yes, really. Give me an example. I'll understand if you can't.

PostmodernProphet
11-21-2017, 05:48 PM

not really.....we just have lib'ruls pretending they are......I mean really, who's stupid enough to believe a lib'rul.....

RB 60
11-21-2017, 06:08 PM
Your god or mine, asshole?

Well, it wasn't Allah, so it must be mine.

archives
11-21-2017, 06:15 PM
Yes, really. Give me an example. I'll understand if you can't.

Just did, unless your as thick as you appear obstinate

floridafan
11-21-2017, 06:23 PM
Well, it wasn't Allah, so it must be mine.
I would take Islam any day over trash like you.

MAGA MAN
11-21-2017, 06:32 PM
Just did, unless your as thick as you appear obstinate

The was a question, not an answer. You appear to be willing to make allegations but not be specific. Here's your chance to confront the religious right.

ThatOwlWoman
11-21-2017, 06:37 PM

Great post.... thanks.

I find it both puzzling and amusing that the Religious Right has screeched for years about the decline of America due to debauchery, immorality, and turning away from Gawd. Yet now we have purported Christian ministers praising Roy Moore and signing statements that he's a fine upstanding person. Same with Trump. A truly devout person would find Trump's behaviors and words the very antithesis of what Christ desired for His followers.

ThatOwlWoman
11-21-2017, 06:37 PM

What a moron.

ThatOwlWoman
11-21-2017, 06:44 PM
Examples?

May I?

The continual anti-choice clamor from the religious right.
The demands to teach "creationism" alongside evolution in public school science classes.
The continual whining about prayer in public schools.
Attempting to insert into State constitutions (and talk about the U.S. Constitution as well) language meant to deny same-sex couples the right to legal marriage
Religious Freedom acts passed by states allowing public businesses to discriminate against LGBT and others based on religious reasons
The annual whining about the faux war on Xmas and outrage that public buildings either cannot put up manger scenes, or must allow other faiths to share the limelight.
Insistence on prayer to begin local government meetings.
And how can we forget Roy "Come here little girl" Moore's bullshit about the 10 Commandments hung in the courthouse?

That enough for you?

While you ponder these, I'll go load my cyber shotgun with coarse ground sea salt for RB when he comes blowing by to say I hate all Christians because.

RB 60
11-21-2017, 07:08 PM
May I?

The demands to teach "creationism" alongside evolution in public school science classes.
Attempting to insert into State constitutions (and talk about the U.S. Constitution as well) language meant to deny same-sex couples the right to legal marriage
Religious Freedom acts passed by states allowing public businesses to discriminate against LGBT and others based on religious reasons
The annual whining about the faux war on Xmas and outrage that public buildings either cannot put up manger scenes, or must allow other faiths to share the limelight.
And how can we forget Roy "Come here little girl" Moore's bullshit about the 10 Commandments hung in the courthouse?

That enough for you?

While you ponder these, I'll go load my cyber shotgun with coarse ground sea salt for RB when he comes blowing by to say I hate all Christians because.

Go to hell, skank.

MAGA MAN
11-21-2017, 07:18 PM
May I?

[1] The continual anti-choice clamor from the religious right.
[2] The demands to teach "creationism" alongside evolution in public school science classes.
[3] The continual whining about prayer in public schools.
[4] Attempting to insert into State constitutions (and talk about the U.S. Constitution as well) language meant to deny same-sex couples the right to legal marriage
[5] Religious Freedom acts passed by states allowing public businesses to discriminate against LGBT and others based on religious reasons
[6] The annual whining about the faux war on Xmas and outrage that public buildings either cannot put up manger scenes, or must allow other faiths to share the limelight.
[7] Insistence on prayer to begin local government meetings.
[8] And how can we forget Roy "Come here little girl" Moore's bullshit about the 10 Commandments hung in the courthouse?

That enough for you?

1. That's a human right issue. Do you think late term abortions are OK?
2. That was never a federal issue. Conservatives want the feds out of education entirely. Religious righties like me want the churches to educate our kids about creationism, not public schools.
3. See item 2.
4. The conservative position is that both FedCo and StateCo shouldn't be in the marriage business at all.
5. That's also an issue of personal freedom. The conservative position is that any business should be able to refuse to serve anyone they want, then let the market decide. I can't help but notice that liberals never have a problem with a Muslim owned business refusing to serve gays.
6. That's been going on my entire life. The conservative position is that public land should be able to be used by private groups and their displays in accordance with a reasonable permitting process.
7. Entirely the decision of the local body. Spare me the faux outrage.
8. The Ten is on the Supremes building, East Wall Frieze. I don't see the problem.

ThatOwlWoman
11-21-2017, 07:48 PM
Go to hell, skank.

^ Typical reply from your typical old white RWNJ "patriot" who just had his ass served to him by an even older white Libtard female. This is how we know when we have scored a point. Too bad scoring points in this game doesn't lead to any sort of actual intelligent thought patterns that lead to a moment of truth.

And here I thought that conservative men prided themselves on acting respectful towards wimminfolk. Oh wait. Roy Moore. Donald Trump. Never mind.

Mason Michaels
11-21-2017, 08:10 PM
Go to hell, skank.

How Christian! :-)

Mason Michaels
11-21-2017, 08:12 PM
^ Typical reply from your typical old white RWNJ "patriot" who just had his ass served to him by an even older white Libtard female. This is how we know when we have scored a point. Too bad scoring points in this game doesn't lead to any sort of actual intelligent thought patterns that lead to a moment of truth.

And here I thought that conservative men prided themselves on acting respectful towards wimminfolk. Oh wait. Roy Moore. Donald Trump. Never mind.

I think you're wrong,Moore dates children, and Trump dates daughters:-)

ThatOwlWoman
11-21-2017, 08:30 PM
2. That was never a federal issue. Conservatives want the feds out of education entirely. Religious righties like me want the churches to educate our kids about creationism, not public schools.
3. See item 2.
4. The conservative position is that both FedCo and StateCo shouldn't be in the marriage business at all.
5. That's also an issue of personal freedom. The conservative position is that any business should be able to refuse to serve anyone they want, then let the market decide. I can't help but notice that liberals never have a problem with a Muslim owned business refusing to serve gays.
6. That's been going on my entire life. The conservative position is that public land should be able to be used by private groups and their displays in accordance with a reasonable permitting process.
8. The Ten is on the Supremes building, East Wall Frieze. I don't see the problem.

Oh sweet!!! An actual intelligent reply from an actual intelligent conservative! Thank you very much. I'll try to respond to you point by point. I'll put your comments in italics.

Not unless 1) the health of the mother is at issue, and/or 2) the passenger is not viable. I am a nurse. I am also the mother of five amazing people and g-ma to nine more amazing people. My own life has been dedicated to life. That being said, I believe strongly that these decisions (to abort or not) are best left to the parties involved, and their physician. I have no issues of course with pro-life people providing education to prevent such a horrible thing as an abortion, or to offering alternatives (like adoption). I am dismayed though by the religious people's objections to birth control, and the constant battle to prevent it being paid for with public funds. If you loathe abortion, then logically shouldn't you be working to prevent conception in the first place? What are your thoughts on abortion rights?

Outstanding.... a point of agreement. I also believe that religion is a private matter that should be up to the parents to teach at home/in church.... not in public schools. However, many conservatives worship at the altar of States Rights and want their state to mandate the teaching of creationism and other religious-based doctrine in public schools. Your thoughts on that?

3. Been there, seen that. My youngest daughters had a civics (!) teacher who used to write Bible verses every morning on the classroom blackboard, in their public h.s. A hilarious story could ensue here, but for now.... your opinion on that?

Can you explain then why this is so important to ppl on your side? I agree to a point.... and that point is taxes, social security, and other state/federal benefits that are attached to a person's marital status. If me and my husband are entitled to certain benefits due to our marital status, then in my point of view the same benefits should be available to our married friends Bill and Bob, and Jane and Jill. (And this is the point where many righties wander off into the realm of marrying your donkey or iguana or sister or whatever weirdness floats their canoe).

We tried that, back in the bad old days. It didn't work out so well for those without market spending power, did it? As far as the Muslim thing, I have not heard of any instances of such -- but if true I oppose that discrimination the same way I oppose an Xtian or a Wiccan or a Hindu doing the same. You want to do business in America? Fine! But don't use your religion or prejudice to discriminate against our citizens.

But in real life, it's been a battle against the Christians and those who want equal time, as our country became more diverse. It wasn't an issue when I was a kid. There were Christmas displays everywhere.... our school, the little city hall, stores, etc. We had Christmas concerts in school (public) that included the beautiful religious songs as well as the lame commercial "Rudolf" type songs. Our neighbors were a mixed bag of highly-educated (PhD level) sci guys that included atheists, Jews, and one lone Hindu guy. The Jewish and Catholic kids got their religious holidays off from school, as well as all the Xtian ones. I don't recall anyone complaining. However, over time, things changed as our country became more and more diverse. I don't see this as a bad thing. I'd just as soon government remove itself far from things of a religious nature, and that spiritual people of all flavors be happy with that because it means true freedom. Your thoughts?

I could not care less if ppl want to pray before a meeting of the board of alderman or city council. That being said, if the locale includes active political people of a non-Xtian faith, I would want to see their flavor of prayer offered as well. If that's not acceptable, than no prayers at all. It's not like the gods give a shit anyways, eh?

8. I don't care either.... but you have to admit that it's kind of humorous in a sad way.... to see the Champion of the Alabama Court's 10 Commandments accused of lewdness. Not surprising, but funny.

Thanks for the chance for an actual civil discussion. I think we have points of agreement and points of divergence. But the fact that we can discuss in a rational manner like real people gives me hope.

ThatOwlWoman
11-21-2017, 08:34 PM
How Christian! :-)

Yep, great example of being Christlike, right there. lol

PostmodernProphet
11-21-2017, 09:22 PM
May I?

That enough for you?

hmm....most of that list sounds like a seeking equal treatment not someone forcing their views on others......as for forcing their views on others, wouldn't forcing society to recognize same sex marriages qualify?.....

ThatOwlWoman
11-21-2017, 10:03 PM
hmm....most of that list sounds like a seeking equal treatment not someone forcing their views on others......as for forcing their views on others, wouldn't forcing society to recognize same sex marriages qualify?.....

I'm sure it does, to someone steeped and soaked in the majority... and who are now chagrined that we non-majority folks want to get a word in too.
Have a nice evening, Post.

MAGA MAN
11-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Oh sweet!!! An actual intelligent reply from an actual intelligent conservative! Thank you very much. I'll try to respond to you point by point. I'll put your comments in italics.

Not unless 1) the health of the mother is at issue, and/or 2) the passenger is not viable. I am a nurse. I am also the mother of five amazing people and g-ma to nine more amazing people. My own life has been dedicated to life. That being said, I believe strongly that these decisions (to abort or not) are best left to the parties involved, and their physician. I have no issues of course with pro-life people providing education to prevent such a horrible thing as an abortion, or to offering alternatives (like adoption). I am dismayed though by the religious people's objections to birth control, and the constant battle to prevent it being paid for with public funds. If you loathe abortion, then logically shouldn't you be working to prevent conception in the first place? What are your thoughts on abortion rights?

Outstanding.... a point of agreement. I also believe that religion is a private matter that should be up to the parents to teach at home/in church.... not in public schools. However, many conservatives worship at the altar of States Rights and want their state to mandate the teaching of creationism and other religious-based doctrine in public schools. Your thoughts on that?

3. Been there, seen that. My youngest daughters had a civics (!) teacher who used to write Bible verses every morning on the classroom blackboard, in their public h.s. A hilarious story could ensue here, but for now.... your opinion on that?

Can you explain then why this is so important to ppl on your side? I agree to a point.... and that point is taxes, social security, and other state/federal benefits that are attached to a person's marital status. If me and my husband are entitled to certain benefits due to our marital status, then in my point of view the same benefits should be available to our married friends Bill and Bob, and Jane and Jill. (And this is the point where many righties wander off into the realm of marrying your donkey or iguana or sister or whatever weirdness floats their canoe).

We tried that, back in the bad old days. It didn't work out so well for those without market spending power, did it? As far as the Muslim thing, I have not heard of any instances of such -- but if true I oppose that discrimination the same way I oppose an Xtian or a Wiccan or a Hindu doing the same. You want to do business in America? Fine! But don't use your religion or prejudice to discriminate against our citizens.

But in real life, it's been a battle against the Christians and those who want equal time, as our country became more diverse. It wasn't an issue when I was a kid. There were Christmas displays everywhere.... our school, the little city hall, stores, etc. We had Christmas concerts in school (public) that included the beautiful religious songs as well as the lame commercial "Rudolf" type songs. Our neighbors were a mixed bag of highly-educated (PhD level) sci guys that included atheists, Jews, and one lone Hindu guy. The Jewish and Catholic kids got their religious holidays off from school, as well as all the Xtian ones. I don't recall anyone complaining. However, over time, things changed as our country became more and more diverse. I don't see this as a bad thing. I'd just as soon government remove itself far from things of a religious nature, and that spiritual people of all flavors be happy with that because it means true freedom. Your thoughts?

I could not care less if ppl want to pray before a meeting of the board of alderman or city council. That being said, if the locale includes active political people of a non-Xtian faith, I would want to see their flavor of prayer offered as well. If that's not acceptable, than no prayers at all. It's not like the gods give a shit anyways, eh?

8. I don't care either.... but you have to admit that it's kind of humorous in a sad way.... to see the Champion of the Alabama Court's 10 Commandments accused of lewdness. Not surprising, but funny.

Thanks for the chance for an actual civil discussion. I think we have points of agreement and points of divergence. But the fact that we can discuss in a rational manner like real people gives me hope.

1. It's not the conservative position to restrict birth control, only preventing GovCo from paying for it. On abortion, when does a healthy fetus obtain the right to live?
2. Read Amendment 9 and 10 if you want to know my position on States rights.
3. And my son had a history teacher that tried to say that the Democrat and Republican Parties magically "switched" positions on civil rights. We had a good laugh on that, too when I showed him the real history and asked him to use the "stink test" whenever a teacher said anything.
4. My position is that marriage should be up to the church, and government shouldn't be in the business of social engineering through tax or ownership. Conservatives believe that every child deserves a mother and a father.
5. These aren't the old days. Google muslim refuses gay wedding cakes, or similar. Then think about why you never heard of that reported by the sources that you rely on for news.
6. I gave you my position.
7. Again, the local body should decide.
8. You brought up a Republican in a scandal, but ignored the dozens of Democrats in worse scandals. Or perhaps you haven't heard about those either?

PostmodernProphet
11-22-2017, 07:09 AM
I'm sure it does, to someone steeped and soaked in the majority... and who are now chagrined that we non-majority folks want to get a word in too.
Have a nice evening, Post.

seriously.....you used the left forcing gay marriage on society as an example of Christianity forcing its beliefs on others..........wear the flag you're waving........

Minister of Truth
11-22-2017, 07:12 AM
Really, no liberal believe in God or have guns? What exactly is the definition of guts?

Hypocritical leftists have guns.

iolo
11-22-2017, 07:34 AM
The United States was founded by slave-owners wanting to dodge taxation for their defence against France, with whom they proceeded to collaborate against their own government.

MAGA MAN
11-22-2017, 07:57 AM
The United States was founded by slave-owners wanting to dodge taxation for their defence against France, with whom they proceeded to collaborate against their own government.

Still smarting over that, huh Limey?

SmarterthanYou
11-22-2017, 10:55 AM

what's wrong with that? supporting positions one believes in with quotes and articles? everybody here does it all the time.

MAGA MAN
11-22-2017, 11:12 AM
what's wrong with that? supporting positions one believes in with quotes and articles? everybody here does it all the time.

Lots of liberals don't have original thoughts of their own.

SmarterthanYou
11-22-2017, 11:20 AM
Lots of liberals don't have original thoughts of their own.

conversely, neither do alot of conservatives.

MAGA MAN
11-22-2017, 11:24 AM
conversely, neither do alot of conservatives.

I do. Midcan doesn't. Kenneth doesn't.

Phantasmal
11-22-2017, 11:26 AM
Hypocritical leftists have guns.
What’s hypocritical? People on the left don’t all share the same positions on guns.

SmarterthanYou
11-22-2017, 11:26 AM
I do. Midcan doesn't. Kenneth doesn't.

you have a few more than most, but you tend to follow conservative or establishment talking points most of the time.

MAGA MAN
11-22-2017, 12:48 PM
you have a few more than most, but you tend to follow conservative or establishment talking points most of the time.

So you say. But I've been saying the same things for decades now.

ThatOwlWoman
11-22-2017, 12:50 PM
seriously.....you used the left forcing gay marriage on society as an example of Christianity forcing its beliefs on others..........wear the flag you're waving........

So... can you tell us when you were forced to have a gay marriage, and where you're registered so we can send gifts?

Minister of Truth
11-22-2017, 02:09 PM
So... can you tell us when you were forced to have a gay marriage, and where you're registered so we can send gifts?

Isn't being forced to believe a lie kind of problematic?

PostmodernProphet
11-22-2017, 03:24 PM

dance little owl lady, dance......you cannot deny that society did not believe that gay marriage was equal to real marriage.....even California voted against it........lib'ruls forced their beliefs on society......

PostmodernProphet
11-22-2017, 03:26 PM
What’s hypocritical? People on the left don’t all share the same positions on guns.

they share in the decision to make it a platform position of the demmycrat party, don't they?......

domer76
11-23-2017, 03:07 PM

Tard Alert!

domer76
11-23-2017, 03:14 PM

Easy response. You don’t have to marry a person of ghe same gender.

Low hanging fruit.

domer76
11-23-2017, 03:17 PM
dance little owl lady, dance......you cannot deny that society did not believe that gay marriage was equal to real marriage.....even California voted against it........lib'ruls forced their beliefs on society......

Society in the South did believe that blacks are equal to whites. Under the law or otherwise. Some still do. But the law fixed that, didn’t they bigot? Just like it equalized marriage.

Checkmate

RB 60
11-23-2017, 04:02 PM
Tard Alert!

Yes, we know you are!

domer76
11-23-2017, 04:21 PM
Yes, we know you are!

Thanks, Pee Wee.

God, guns, guts. Damn funny!

RB 60
11-23-2017, 04:24 PM
Thanks, Pee Wee.

God, guns, guts. Damn funny!

Tell us then, oh knowledgeable one, just what was it founded on?
You seem to think you're an expert on everything else...

domer76
11-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Tell us then, oh knowledgeable one, just what was it founded on?
You seem to think you're an expert on everything else...

One good guess might be liberty, moron. Representative government.

God and guns? Hilarious!

PostmodernProphet
11-23-2017, 04:32 PM
I remember when lib'ruls decided to force their belief that killing your unborn children was a good thing, on the rest of society......