PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Homily this morning, and my tie-in to contemporary politics

MAGA MAN
08-27-2017, 08:10 PM
Our new young priest gave an excellent homily this morning that was directly in line with the three readings of this week's Catholic Mass. The Gospel was about Peter, the first Pope, and his fallibility.

Our priest started off by saying that he recently read that Catholics believe that the Pope is infallible. Then he cited the source: Wikipedia. Then he went on to explain how the Papacy has a specific chair in the Vatican where the Pope sits to make a decree that must be viewed by all Catholics as truth. This chair has been used exactly twice in 2000 years.

Peter wasn't infallible, and no Pope since has been either. Nor is he a king, or someone to be worshipped. Yes, he has great power, but as head of a terrestrial church, nothing more. God can remove his power at any time.

Our priest then made a statement that I have no doubt is completely true: 99% of what he sees or reads in "the media" about what the Pope has said on a particular issue, and he specifically mentioned CNN and the NYT, is false. He's personally researched the articles relative to actual statements or interviews to back up his finding.

It's been obvious to me for a long time that contemporary society has contempt for the Catholic Church. Since they also have contempt for the GOP, and multiply that by 1000 for Trump, it's pretty safe to say that 99% or more of their reporting on Trump is also false.

Irish Exit
08-27-2017, 11:32 PM
Fonzi jumped the shark first.

domer76
08-29-2017, 04:13 PM
Our new young priest gave an excellent homily this morning that was directly in line with the three readings of this week's Catholic Mass. The Gospel was about Peter, the first Pope, and his fallibility.

Our priest started off by saying that he recently read that Catholics believe that the Pope is infallible. Then he cited the source: Wikipedia. Then he went on to explain how the Papacy has a specific chair in the Vatican where the Pope sits to make a decree that must be viewed by all Catholics as truth. This chair has been used exactly twice in 2000 years.

Peter wasn't infallible, and no Pope since has been either. Nor is he a king, or someone to be worshipped. Yes, he has great power, but as head of a terrestrial church, nothing more. God can remove his power at any time.

Our priest then made a statement that I have no doubt is completely true: 99% of what he sees or reads in "the media" about what the Pope has said on a particular issue, and he specifically mentioned CNN and the NYT, is false. He's personally researched the articles relative to actual statements or interviews to back up his finding.

It's been obvious to me for a long time that contemporary society has contempt for the Catholic Church. Since they also have contempt for the GOP, and multiply that by 1000 for Trump, it's pretty safe to say that 99% or more of their reporting on Trump is also false.

And yet, he believes a virgin birth is true. PRICELESS!

MAGA MAN
08-29-2017, 04:27 PM
And yet, he believes a virgin birth is true. PRICELESS!

And you believe what, exactly? That you're a descendant of a frog?

archives
08-29-2017, 04:37 PM

Why would a Catholic priest have to explain to practicing Catholics attending service that the Pope isn't infallible?

And the rest of your narrative just points toward a priest that doesn't belong on the pulpit

domer76
08-29-2017, 05:23 PM
And you believe what, exactly? That you're a descendant of a frog?

Pregnant virgins. Damn funny!

And this moron doesn't believe the press? HAHAHAHAHA!

MAGA MAN
08-29-2017, 07:33 PM
Why would a Catholic priest have to explain to practicing Catholics attending service that the Pope isn't infallible?

And the rest of your narrative just points toward a priest that doesn't belong on the pulpit

Because a priest is always reminding the parish about church doctrine. Judge not, lest you be judged.

MAGA MAN
08-29-2017, 07:36 PM
Pregnant virgins. Damn funny!

And this moron doesn't believe the press? HAHAHAHAHA!

Failure to address the question: I accept your concession.