PDA

View Full Version : Does the software for this BBS have the "reputation points" option?

Little-Acorn
01-25-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm on a couple of other boards where the software provides users the ability to give "reputation points" and "reputation power" to people whose posts they like... and negative points to posts they don't like. This board is obviously not doing that... but can it? Is it an option that the board owner can turn on and off?

It's hardly a "scientific" measure. Any poster can give you points if he likes your post, or agrees with it, or thinks it's funny, or if he likes your avatar or whatever. And he can give you negative points simply because he disagrees with you (a bad reason if you ask me) or is trying to be a jerk... or because he believes you have made an exceptionally poor argument for your ideas, which is a better reason for negative points. Each person's reputation score is displayed in small characters at the top of every post he/she makes.

In the boards I've seen that allow this, it mostly works out pretty well. People who make cogent and/or pithy arguments usually wind up with higher reps than people who don't, regardless of what side they are supporting.

It's entirely user-controlled. May not always be accurate, but it's fun.

Does this board's software have that ability? And would it be OK to try it?

Damocles
01-25-2008, 12:13 PM
I could turn it on, but I choose not to as it tends to make a board lean permanently toward one or the other political side. I prefer the board to be more flexible than that. It tends to make some people who are new uncomfortable as they get neg hits and it depresses some new posts that otherwise would see light.

Little-Acorn
01-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Well, to put it bluntly, on the boards I've seen, people who habitually make abusive or silly posts aren't the least bit restrained by the reputation-points system. They apparently couldn't care less about those little numbers up there.

In my experience, people are usually pretty decent to newcomers. Negative-rep points are VERY rare, for anyone. Even the abusers (profanity and personal attacks in most posts) tend to have positive reputations.

To each his own, though. The board owner certainly has the right to set up the board however he wants. People who don't like it can always set up their own and run it their own way, and try to attract a membership - not an easy task by any means.

Damocles
01-25-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm always on the edge of turning it on. It may be something in the future I'll give a try to.

evince
01-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Damo this place is so much better without it.

The places where I have seen it used it is merely a way to intimidate new posters who the majority dont like having a voice.

In the end if the poster hangs in there it means next to nothing.

Its a bully tool and many people like me have never and will never even use the negative rep points.

I have been on several sites using them and always vow never to neg rep and to this day I never have anywhere that I have been. If you cant beat someone with logic and facts then little red squares are the weasels way of getting even.

I love the fact that this site doesnt use the silly highschool level rating system.

Little-Acorn
01-25-2008, 12:48 PM
On the other board I've seen him on, even Desh has a positive rep.

I rest my case. :D

evince
01-25-2008, 12:52 PM
On the other board I've seen him on, even Desh has a positive rep.

I rest my case. :D

And how did that happen?

because I left town for like a week.

It means nothing.

Its a bully tactic for people who cant win with words so they use little red squares to get back at arguements they cant refute.

charver
01-25-2008, 12:57 PM
There really isn't any need to to establish any type of reputation points system here as everyone tends to know who is the good, the bad and the ugly.

Besides, hasn't Grind already got his own system?

Cancel7
01-25-2008, 01:02 PM
I could turn it on, but I choose not to as it tends to make a board lean permanently toward one or the other political side. I prefer the board to be more flexible than that. It tends to make some people who are new uncomfortable as they get neg hits and it depresses some new posts that otherwise would see light.

I think this was a wise decision on your part Damo…and wise decisions on your part are few and far between…don’t ruin this one by changing your mind.

Damocles
01-25-2008, 01:03 PM
I think this was a wise decision on your part Damo…and wise decisions on your part are few and far between…don’t ruin this one by changing your mind.
Yeah, they are rare, and always accidental.

uscitizen
01-25-2008, 01:05 PM
new guy moves into the neighborhood and wants the neighborhood to change to match where he moved from ?

Just like city slickers moving to the country to get away from the city and then getting the same rules that messed up the city established in the country ?

In short if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Maybe, but just my opinion.

evince
01-25-2008, 01:10 PM
little acorn is just uposet no one here pays him much attention.

Hes used to being surrounded by like minds who pat him on the back all day long.

Here the level of his posts speak for themselves.

Little-Acorn
01-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Here the level of his posts speak for themselves.

They do indeed.

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?p=200871#post200871

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?p=200812#post200812

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?p=200179#post200179

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?p=198617#post198617

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?p=198146#post198146 (my apologies on this one, it was 35 years)

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?p=197637#post197637

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?p=197329#post197329

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?p=192476#post192476

And many more to come...... :D

I've shown you mine, now show me yours....... :pke:

FUCK THE POLICE
01-25-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm on a couple of other boards where the software provides users the ability to give "reputation points" and "reputation power" to people whose posts they like... and negative points to posts they don't like. This board is obviously not doing that... but can it? Is it an option that the board owner can turn on and off?

It's hardly a "scientific" measure. Any poster can give you points if he likes your post, or agrees with it, or thinks it's funny, or if he likes your avatar or whatever. And he can give you negative points simply because he disagrees with you (a bad reason if you ask me) or is trying to be a jerk... or because he believes you have made an exceptionally poor argument for your ideas, which is a better reason for negative points. Each person's reputation score is displayed in small characters at the top of every post he/she makes.

In the boards I've seen that allow this, it mostly works out pretty well. People who make cogent and/or pithy arguments usually wind up with higher reps than people who don't, regardless of what side they are supporting.

It's entirely user-controlled. May not always be accurate, but it's fun.

Does this board's software have that ability? And would it be OK to try it?

The liberal-libertarian sides on this site are so dominant that I think it would scare off any conservatives.

Little-Acorn
01-25-2008, 03:13 PM
The liberal-libertarian sides on this site are so dominant that I think it would scare off any conservatives.

On the contrary. In view of the fact that it's only the liberal-libertarian side who seems to want to avoid any record of evaluations of their posts and posting habits, I'd have to say that it's not conservatives who are "scared".

Damocles
01-25-2008, 03:18 PM
On the contrary. In view of the fact that it's only the liberal-libertarian side who seems to want to avoid any record of evaluations of their posts and posting habits, I'd have to say that it's not conservatives who are "scared".
A little preposterous, if you knew who I was on the other boards.

Thorn
01-25-2008, 03:19 PM
For the reasons stated, I'm happy with things just as they are. There are occasionally especially articulate, well reasoned posts that I'd like to give a kudo to, but beyond that, accumulated "recommendations" for individuals is fraught with insignificance.

Little-Acorn
01-25-2008, 03:32 PM
A little preposterous, if you knew who I was on the other boards.

And you said you were "always on the edge of turning it on", Damocles.

As for the rest, the comment plainly stands.

My comments about the perquisites of the board owner, also stand.

Have you truly noticed ANY ill effects from the "rep points" system on those other boards, Damocles?

Damocles
01-25-2008, 03:34 PM
And you said you were "always on the edge of turning it on", Damocles.

As for the rest, the comment plainly stands.

My comments about the perquisites of the board owner, also stand.
I am. However, I do not "fear" the system, I just think it makes the minority more comfortable. I may test it in the future. But not now.

FUCK THE POLICE
01-25-2008, 04:01 PM

This is stupid.

Cancel7
01-25-2008, 04:03 PM
For the reasons stated, I'm happy with things just as they are. There are occasionally especially articulate, well reasoned posts that I'd like to give a kudo to, but beyond that, accumulated "recommendations" for individuals is fraught with insignificance.

This is pretty much exaclty how I feel.

Beefy
01-25-2008, 04:12 PM
For the reasons stated, I'm happy with things just as they are. There are occasionally especially articulate, well reasoned posts that I'd like to give a kudo to,

Clearly, this is in reference to me.

uscitizen
01-25-2008, 04:14 PM
This is pretty much exaclty how I feel.

Yep if it isn't broke why fix it.

and if it was so good where nut came from why did he/she come here ?

Thorn
01-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Clearly, this is in reference to me.

Of course! :D:p

uscitizen
01-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Uber modesty.

Battleborne
01-26-2008, 12:10 PM
new guy moves into the neighborhood and wants the neighborhood to change to match where he moved from ?

Just like city slickers moving to the country to get away from the city and then getting the same rules that messed up the city established in the country ?

In short if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Maybe, but just my opinion.

Rep points just cause altered egos..it becomes a power trip for immature posters(ie: dog piles of the 'nth degree)...enough said!

Little-Acorn
01-28-2008, 01:33 PM
and if it was so good where nut came from why did he/she come here ?
To fight sin, you go where the sinners are. :D

Damocles
01-28-2008, 01:34 PM
To fight sin, you go where the sinners are. :D
Now see? It's comments like these that make me tempted to turn it on...

LadyT
01-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Then the board just becomes a popularity contest. Who cares that the majority of posters think you're an idiot. Take one babbling drunken baffoon who shall remain nameless. Someone like him would surely have negative points, but what that tell you that you can't determine yourself? Also, it taint's new posters views of people that are posting.

not to mention we saw the end result of a popularity contest on another board that has recently died.

Beefy
01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Then the board just becomes a popularity contest. Who cares that the majority of posters think you're an idiot. Take one babbling drunken baffoon who shall remain nameless.

not to mention we saw the end result of a popularity contest on another board that has recently died.

Why you gotta call me out?

Anyhow, I agree, this board is fine like it is.

Cancel7
01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Then the board just becomes a popularity contest. Who cares that the majority of posters think you're an idiot. Take one babbling drunken baffoon who shall remain nameless. Someone like him would surely have negative points, but what that tell you that you can't determine yourself? Also, it taint's new posters views of people that are posting.

And I just think of poor SF – as if getting cyber skewered every time he comes on here weren’t enough – now he’ll be getting zapped with negative rep points.

Where does it stop? What is this, The Lord of the Flies? Leave SF alone!

LadyT
01-28-2008, 02:42 PM
lmao @ Beefy & Darla

Little-Acorn
01-31-2008, 01:27 PM
And I just think of poor SF – as if getting cyber skewered every time he comes on here weren’t enough – now he’ll be getting zapped with negative rep points.

Well, usually you rep someone when they make a good argument, or when they bring up an unexpected valid point, whether you agree with the point or not. And in my experience, people get neg-repped VERY seldom, usually when they deliberately try to disrupt a debate, or keep hammering a point that has already been discredited. Again, whether you happen to agree with them or not.

It's pretty much an "honor system" that keeps people from abusing it, and it's worked well on every board where I've seen it used.

But if this board is one where large numbers of people would habitually abuse the Rep system as you described, then maybe you are better off without it.

evince
01-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Bullshit.

In the places Ive been that had them I have been neg repped for posting facts. Cold hard facts.

Little-Acorn
01-31-2008, 02:13 PM
In the places Ive been that had them I have been neg repped for posting facts. Cold hard facts.

By anyone who is now on this board?

Then you've got nothing to worry about. Unless you believe the people on this board would wildly abuse the Rep system. Do you?

I've been neg-repped too, by someone posting wild, crazy posts (even worse than the ones I've seen here) after I publicly asked why he had not been banned. But I still think the system is a worthwhile one, despite the occasional abuser.

Again, would people on this board grossly abuse the Rep system if it were here? Who, exactly?

Beefy
01-31-2008, 05:20 PM
By anyone who is now on this board?

Then you've got nothing to worry about. Unless you believe the people on this board would wildly abuse the Rep system. Do you?

I've been neg-repped too, by someone posting wild, crazy posts (even worse than the ones I've seen here) after I publicly asked why he had not been banned. But I still think the system is a worthwhile one, despite the occasional abuser.

Again, would people on this board grossly abuse the Rep system if it were here? Who, exactly?

Damocles
01-31-2008, 06:04 PM
That avatar is truly hideous.

+500

DamnYankee
01-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Bullshit.

In the places Ive been that had them I have been neg repped for posting facts. Cold hard facts. I've seen you on other boards as TruthMatters and you have rarely, if ever, posted any substantial facts. Of course if you did it should be easy enough to prove by posting a link.

DamnYankee
01-31-2008, 07:03 PM

+500
I can top that:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z256/glockmail/LOki.jpg

Little-Acorn
01-31-2008, 07:04 PM

+500

Concur!

I believe that's a photo (unretouched!) of a woman who decided her own face wasn't pretty enough or something, and so she shelled out a few hundred thou over the course of several years to have plastic surgeons modify it, again and again, and basically build her a custom-made face. That was the result.

Hope she's happy.

(If I've gotten details of this escapade wrong, someone please correct me! I'm going from memory of what I saw on TV several years ago - always a great source! :-\ )

Blackwater Lunchbreak
02-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Rep systems are gay.

Thorn
02-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Self-portrait, SM?

evince
02-01-2008, 01:39 PM
I've seen you on other boards as TruthMatters and you have rarely, if ever, posted any substantial facts. Of course if you did it should be easy enough to prove by posting a link.

Everyone here already knows these sights.

You are so chicken shit you wont even tell anyone who you are at those other sites.

Everyone here already knows my other name is truthmatters and have seen my posts on other sites.

I post articles from the news just like here.

You and your cohorts then say things like "the GAO is biased" , "that ex officail is just a disgruntled employee","your a fucking fat, ugly, old , stinky, stupid, whorish, lesbian with a bad haircut" and think that somehow eliminates any of the facts posted.

Damocles
02-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Well, bad haircuts are a sign of poor information. I mean, look at the hair!

;)

evince
02-01-2008, 01:49 PM
I cut my own hair.

Damocles
02-01-2008, 01:49 PM
I cut my own hair.
LOL. You aren't helping. :D

evince
02-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Yeah I know but its all the way down my back and striaght as a board so its just silly to pay someone to trim the ends.

You would think they would say I was being fiscally conservative and not relying on others to take care of me.

DamnYankee
02-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Self-portrait, SM? :ouch:

LOL.

Truth be known I'm only 160# and a lot less hairy.

DamnYankee
02-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Everyone here already knows these sights.

You are so chicken shit you wont even tell anyone who you are at those other sites.

Everyone here already knows my other name is truthmatters and have seen my posts on other sites.

I post articles from the news just like here.

You and your cohorts then say things like "the GAO is biased" , "that ex officail is just a disgruntled employee","your a fucking fat, ugly, old , stinky, stupid, whorish, lesbian with a bad haircut" and think that somehow eliminates any of the facts posted.

The Southern Man prefers to keep his identity separate from some other boards.
He has not blatantly insulted you here or anywhere else.

He is also still waiting for you to post substantial facts, or post a link where you have done so.

evince
02-01-2008, 04:08 PM
http://justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?t=8518

This is a fact. This book is about to be released.

BTW talking about yourself in the third person is just so fricking rediculous.

http://justplainpolitics.com/search.php?searchid=168803

You sir know your reputation on the other site and I think that is what you want to keep a secret.

I am hiding nothing and you are hiding your entire repution. I bet its for good reason.

Damocles
02-01-2008, 04:10 PM

Bob Dole doesn't think so.

:D

evince
02-01-2008, 04:12 PM
well I dont know if Bob Dole is such good company to be in.

Damocles
02-01-2008, 04:17 PM
well I dont know if Bob Dole is such good company to be in.
I dunno. I'd be pretty proud if any of my kids got to where he did.

evince
02-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Actually Bob wasnt that bad.

I sure would have taken him over Bush.

DamnYankee
02-04-2008, 08:49 AM

http://justplainpolitics.com/search.php?searchid=168803

You sir know your reputation on the other site and I think that is what you want to keep a secret.

I am hiding nothing and you are hiding your entire repution. I bet its for good reason.

Wow I'm floored. So deep.

uscitizen
02-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Bob Dole doesn't think so.

:D

And he lost. Point to Desh.

Damocles
02-04-2008, 09:38 AM
And he lost. Point to Desh.
You would be proud if your son ever became a Senator, let alone one who co-sponsored the Civil Rights Act and later became a Presidential Nominee for one of the major political parties.

It seems that his life was well spent.

Socrtease
02-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I cut my own hair.In the dark with pruning shears.

Socrtease
02-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Bob Dole graduated from my law school and spoke at my graduation. When he was done my dad said "If that Bob Dole had run for president he would be in office right now." The guy was funny and engaging and animated. I had never seen him before. As a side note, the dorks that selected our speaker selected Dole in the summer of 1996 because they really thought that he was going to be president. I had so much fun mocking them. When they nominated him as speaker they nominated him as Robert Dole, future president of America.

Epicurus
02-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Yeah I know but its all the way down my back and striaght as a board so its just silly to pay someone to trim the ends.

You would think they would say I was being fiscally conservative and not relying on others to take care of me.

Or just a bad capitalist consumer.

Go pay someone cheapskate. You can't put a price on looking good.

Damocles
02-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Bob Dole graduated from my law school and spoke at my graduation. When he was done my dad said "If that Bob Dole had run for president he would be in office right now." The guy was funny and engaging and animated. I had never seen him before. As a side note, the dorks that selected our speaker selected Dole in the summer of 1996 because they really thought that he was going to be president. I had so much fun mocking them. When they nominated him as speaker they nominated him as Robert Dole, future president of America.

Bob Dole taped those Viagra commercials in the park right next to our Masonic Lodge. He came by and we had some conversation with him. He said he was very glad that he lost the election.