PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I made some changes...

Damocles
09-10-2006, 09:56 AM
The first load should be slow, but thereafter the site should be faster for everybody. If anybody has any problems with their avatars and such give me a notify by PM or here. I have made the site less database intensive and thus a bit faster...

Damocles
09-10-2006, 10:21 AM
You may also notice NewsBoy posting news stories... "He" is a rss feedbot that I have going. I am testing to see if they can find relative information and post it on occassion and how often I should run them...

Dixie - In Memoriam
09-10-2006, 10:25 AM
You may also notice NewsBoy posting news stories... "He" is a rss feedbot that I have going. I am testing to see if they can find relative information and post it on occassion and how often I should run them...

I'm glad you told me, I was about to blast his trolling ass! :cof1:

OrnotBitwise
09-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Whoa! Dixie's avatar isn't showing up. I am heartbroken, I tell you!

No offense Damo, but I'm not sure your changes are working out as they should. I'm noticing a definitively perceptible slowdown of the load time for each thread with no improvement in speed anywhere else.

Did you turn on some kind of caching feature? Whatever it is, I'm not yet impressed. ;)

Damocles
09-10-2006, 12:08 PM
No, I did not turn on some sort of caching feature. The problem with the load time is the shared server I am using. I'm thinking of moving the site over to a semi-shared where only a specific number can share the server and you have dedicated server space that cannot be encroached upon....

Cancel7
09-10-2006, 02:59 PM

Ohhh. And I was just thinking, after seeing one of his very gross titles, eww, what a dickwad.

Damocles
09-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Ohhh. And I was just thinking, after seeing one of his very gross titles, eww, what a dickwad.
LOL. Yeah, I didn't want everybody hating some non-existent little turd.

Damocles
09-10-2006, 03:42 PM
It is definitely moving faster for me. (BTW - I access the site no differently than y'all.)

There are occassional high-load times from the shared server that it is slow, but otherwise this has helped.

Care4all
09-10-2006, 05:02 PM
ty for telling us about newsboy damo.....

hahaha! I too almost nailed him and was gonna have a real hard time guessing at who's ''troll'' he was standing in as....i mean, i had already gone down the list of posters on this site and the other one, trying to figure out who it could be!!!! you all KNOW i luv that ''troll'' guessing game!

lol! :D

Gaffer
09-10-2006, 07:38 PM
the bot seems to be starting to fill up the postings with his news. Can you slow him down a bit?

Damocles
09-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I got rid of that BBC one that kept us updated on car accidents on the M6...

Damocles
09-16-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm also working on seeing if I can justify upgrading to a less shared server as the cost is prohibitive. So I added the ads. I hope they aren't too much in the way. If they don't work at all I'll drop them and think of a better way.

Prakosh
09-16-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm glad you told me, I was about to blast his trolling ass! :cof1:

Which just shows how ridiculous you are. You were even going to trash a robot.

Prakosh
09-16-2006, 09:03 PM
The first load should be slow, but thereafter the site should be faster for everybody. If anybody has any problems with their avatars and such give me a notify by PM or here. I have made the site less database intensive and thus a bit faster...

Hey, I don't know what is going on with Ornot, but this is quite a bit faster for me. I don't have to wait at all for the letters to appear and the moving from page to page and from function to function seems to be much faster. Thanks a lot.

Damocles
09-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Hey, I don't know what is going on with Ornot, but this is quite a bit faster for me. I don't have to wait at all for the letters to appear and the moving from page to page and from function to function seems to be much faster. Thanks a lot.
Bonus! That was my goal!

Damocles
09-18-2006, 12:48 AM
I have upgraded to the newest update version... If there is any functionality lost please inform me so I can find out what I did. It should be pretty much the same. I have removed some of the repeat choices from the Quick Links and re-ordered it per a user request... I'll be working on streamlining that Navbar...