PDA

View Full Version : IRV

Beefy
01-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Instant Runoff Voting Is Sweeping the Country!

Instant runoff voting (IRV) is one of the most exciting electoral reforms in the United States. Voters have approved IRV by significant margins in nearly all municipalities and cities where it has been introduced to voters. IRV legislation is also rapidly gaining support in a number of state legislatures.

http://www.instantrunoff.com/

FUCK THE POLICE
01-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Yep, it is better than pluarlity. But you're delusional if you think that IRV, or campaign finance reform, is going to fix the two-party system. The only thing that will do that is proportional representation. Anything else, at least that purports to help third parties, is just snake oil.

IRV at least makes it to where third parties usually can't hurt the election, though.

FUCK THE POLICE
01-20-2008, 03:18 PM
If IRV had been in US in 2000, Bush wouldn't be president right now.

Beefy
01-20-2008, 03:34 PM
If IRV had been in US in 2000, Bush wouldn't be president right now.

That is correct. usc would be running around slobbering all over Al Gore while claiming he's an independent.

uscitizen
01-20-2008, 04:52 PM
That is correct. usc would be running around slobbering all over Al Gore while claiming he's an independent.

I have never claimed I am an independent like many embaressed bush voters.
I would register as a non affiliated voter if it was allowed in my state.

FUCK THE POLICE
01-20-2008, 05:12 PM

They don't let people register as independents?

Beefy
01-20-2008, 05:26 PM

Just admit it, you're a Democrat. Why is that so hard to admit? Jiminey Christmas!

Epicurus
01-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Just admit it, you're a Democrat. Why is that so hard to admit? Jiminey Christmas!

Cause Democrats are faggots.

uscitizen
01-20-2008, 05:56 PM
They don't let people register as independents?

yep but in my state it is the same as a party. Not non affiliated like other states allow.

uscitizen
01-20-2008, 05:57 PM

I did say last fall that I had recently changed my registration from Republican to Demoncrat.
ask Damo.

Keep up.

Beefy
01-21-2008, 02:57 AM
I did say last fall that I had recently changed my registration from Republican to Demoncrat.
ask Damo.

Keep up.

Okay, glad to clear that up. You're a Democrat.

Democrats and Republicans oppose IRV because it subverts their given electorate, such as uscitizen, in favor of an undemocratic system.

Damocles
01-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Okay, glad to clear that up. You're a Democrat.

Democrats and Republicans oppose IRV because it subverts their given electorate, such as uscitizen, in favor of an undemocratic system.
Now we need the "none of the above" selection to count towards this. If nobody gets a true majority then we get to start over with a whole new batch of idiots. It would even get them to stop giving tons of cash to candidates if we threw out a couple of elections that they spent a ton of CASH on...

uscitizen
01-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Now we need the "none of the above" selection to count towards this. If nobody gets a true majority then we get to start over with a whole new batch of idiots. It would even get them to stop giving tons of cash to candidates if we threw out a couple of elections that they spent a ton of CASH on...

Yep I like the no confidence option as well.
It would be nice if we could tell them we do not like any of the candidates and have it meansomething.
ie I voted but voted FOR no one.

evince
01-21-2008, 11:51 AM
This is very interesting.

We would sure have to solve the machine counting problems first though.

FUCK THE POLICE
01-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Well, you see what I mean?

The electoral reform movement is dead because we have four different people here who believe in electoral reform, and one believes in IRV, one believes that vote fraud is tantamount, one believes in NOTA, and another believes in PR. With that kind of split, it's never going anywhere.

BTW, NOTA is a stupid idea.