PDA

View Full Version : What’s your SACRIFICE lately?

bhaktajan
03-26-2017, 03:59 PM
Who thinks they don’t Sacrifice? What’s your sacrifice lately? First, second or Steerage or cabin class?
OMG I looked up the definition of “Sacrifice” online –and this is their definition:

SACRIFICE
noun
1. an act of slaughtering an animal or person or surrendering a possession as an offering to God or to a divine or supernatural figure.
"they offer sacrifices to the spirits"
synonyms: ritual slaughter, offering, oblation, immolation
"the sacrifice of animals"

verb
1. offer or kill as a religious sacrifice.
"the goat was sacrificed at the shrine"
synonyms: offer up, immolate, slaughter
"two goats were sacrificed"

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
MERRIAM-WEBSTER DICTIONARY:

Definition of SACRIFICE
1: an act of offering to a deity something precious; especially : the killing of a victim on an altar
2: something offered in sacrifice
3a: destruction or surrender of something for the sake of something else
3b: something given up or lost – “the sacrifices made by parents”
4: loss – “goods sold at a sacrifice”

Definition of SACRIFICE for English Language Learners
– to give up (something that you want to keep) especially in order to get or do something else or to help someone
– to kill (a person or animal) in a religious ceremony as an offering to please a god
– baseball: to make a sacrifice bunt

Definition of SACRIFICE for Students
1: the act or ceremony of making an offering to God or a god especially on an altar – “The ancient ritual involved sacrificing an animal.”
2: something offered as a religious act
3: an act of giving up something especially for the sake of someone or something else – “We were happy to make a sacrifice of our time to help a friend in need.”
“They sacrificed their lives for their country.”
4: something given up especially for the sake of helping others

Word Root of SACRIFICE
The Latin word sacer, meaning “holy,” and the related word sānctus, also meaning “holy,” give us the roots sacr and sanct. Words from the Latin sacer or sānctus have something to do with holiness. A sanctuary is a holy place. Anything sacredis holy. To sacrifice is to dedicate as a holy offering to a god.

Etymology of SACRIFICE
etymonline.com
SACRIFICE (V.)
c. 1300, "to offer something (to a deity, as a sacrifice)," from sacrifice (n.). Meaning "surrender, give up, suffer to be lost" is from 1706. Related:Sacrificed; sacrificing. Agent noun forms include sacrificer, sacrificator (both 16c., the latter from Latin); and sacrificulist (17c.).
SACRIFICE (n.)
late 13c., "offering of something (especially a life) to a deity as an act of propitiation or homage;" mid-14c., "that which is offered in sacrifice," from Old French sacrifise "sacrifice, offering" (12c.), from Latin sacrificium, from sacrificus "performing priestly functions or sacrifices," from sacra "sacred rites" (properly neuter plural of sacer "sacred;" see sacred) + root of facere "to do, perform" (see factitious).

Latin sacrificium is glossed in Old English by ansegdniss. Sense of "act of giving up one thing for another; something given up for the sake of another" is first recorded 1590s. Baseball sense first attested 1880.

Wikipedia:
SACRIFICE
Sacrifice is the offering of food, objects or the lives of animals to a higher purpose, in particular divine beings, as an act of propitiation or worship. While sacrifice often implies the ritual killing of an animal, the term offering (Latin oblatio) can be used for bloodless sacrifices of food or artifacts. For offerings of liquids (beverages) by pouring, the term libation is used.

The Latin term sacrificium (a sacrifice) derived from Latin sacrificus (performing priestly functions or sacrifices),
which combined the concepts sacra (sacred things) and facere (to do or perform).
The Latin word sacrificium came to apply to the Christian eucharist in particular, sometimes named a "bloodless sacrifice"
to distinguish it from blood sacrifices. In individual non-Christian ethnic religions, terms translated as "sacrifice"
include the Indic yajna, the Greek thusia, the Germanic blōtan, the Semitic qorban/qurban, Slavic żertwa, etc.

The term usually implies "doing without something" or "giving something up" (see also self-sacrifice).
But the word sacrifice also occurs in metaphorical use to describe doing good for others or taking a short-term loss
in return for a greater power gain, such as in a game of chess. Scholars such as René Girard have theorized that scapegoating
may account for the origins of sacrifice.

According to Walter Burkert, a scholar of sacrifice, Greek sacrifices derived from hunting practices.
Hunters, feeling guilty for having killed another living being so they could eat and survive, tried to repudiate their responsibility in these rituals.
The primary evidence used to suggest this theory is the Dipolieia, which is an Athenian festival, in limited circulation, during which an ox was sacrificed.
The protagonist of the ritual was a plough ox, which it had, at one point, been a crime to kill in Athens.
According to his theory, the killer of the ox eased his conscience by suggesting that everybody should participate in the killing of the sacrificial victim.

In the expansion of the Athenian state, numerous oxen were needed to feed the people at the banquets and were
accompanied by state festivals. The hecatomb (“hundred oxen”) became the general designation for the great sacrifices
offered by the state. These sacrificial processions of hundreds of oxen remove the original ties, which the farmers of an
earlier and smaller Athens will have felt with their one ox.

Ancient Syria
A concept similar to the biblical scapegoat is attested in two ritual texts in archives at Ebla of the 24th century BC. connected with ritual purification, the ritual involves the "elimination rites", in which an animal, is chased from the community, are widely attested in the Ancient Near East.

Ancient Judaism
The scapegoat was a goat that was for symbolic removal of the people's sins with the literal removal of the goat, as a sin offering to atone for sins committed unintentionally throughout the year. throughout the year. And thus, the scapegoat is sent away into the wilderness.

Proverb
The concept of scapegoating has become a proverb in many cultures and languages, implying an innocent person be blamed for the sin of others. For instance in the Persian language the equivalent proverb is "Beheading the Blacksmith of Balkh". (ie: **A Blacksmith Sinned in Balkh, A Coppersmith Was Beheaded in Shooshtar!**)

Mott the Hoople
03-26-2017, 05:55 PM
I tried sacrificing two sales reps lately and the Gods were not amused.

Peridot
03-26-2017, 07:35 PM
Faith in humanity.

BRUTALITOPS
03-26-2017, 10:53 PM
my peace of mind by reading this thread when I knew it was going to be awful

bhaktajan
03-26-2017, 11:27 PM
my peace of mind by reading this thread when I knew it was going to be awful

Well thanks, if you meant "Awe-full" [full of 'awe'].

My OP is to point out the so-called sacrifices that we do routinely in all mundane matters.

So, look around and judge a man "by his degree of Sacrifice"***

[***I don mean in the religious way].

I mean it in the pragmatic ways of life; in our "works".

What does a Leader consider as their sacrifice?

We honor dedicated work as a self-less sacrifice ---even though, as they say, "I was just doing my job".

So I am highlighting the value of measuring "proper" social intercourse with the mutual recognition of "sacrifice" and how that output equates to a society's "work".

Works are tied-in with sacrifice, just as a farmer is awaken to early chores.

So consider "a man's worth by the degree of his sacrifice (aka, work)".

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I might try to steer this topic back around to work's inverse output ratios ... to the topic of raw karma . . . but I will stay fallow til some ground work is laided out and then scrimmage.

BRUTALITOPS
03-27-2017, 04:17 AM
nope just meant the regular awful