PDA

View Full Version : It's Labor Day! ....Thank a Pinhead!

Dixie - In Memoriam
09-04-2006, 05:14 AM
Many of you weren't aware of this, but Pinheads are good at some things! YES! It's true! After all, it was a Pinhead who created Labor Day!

"Labor Day differs in every essential way from the other holidays of the year in any country," said Samuel Gompers, founder and longtime president of the American Federation of Labor. "All other holidays are in a more or less degree connected with conflicts and battles of man's prowess over man, of strife and discord for greed and power, of glories achieved by one nation over another. Labor Day...is devoted to no man, living or dead, to no sect, race, or nation."

Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.

More than 100 years after the first Labor Day observance, there is still some doubt as to who first proposed the holiday for workers.

Some records show that Peter J. McGuire, general secretary of the Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners and a cofounder of the American Federation of Labor, was first in suggesting a day to honor those "who from rude nature have delved and carved all the grandeur we behold."

But Peter McGuire's place in Labor Day history has not gone unchallenged. Many believe that Matthew Maguire, a machinist, not Peter McGuire, founded the holiday. Recent research seems to support the contention that Matthew Maguire, later the secretary of Local 344 of the International Association of Machinists in Paterson, N.J., proposed the holiday in 1882 while serving as secretary of the Central Labor Union in New York. What is clear is that the Central Labor Union adopted a Labor Day proposal and appointed a committee to plan a demonstration and picnic.

So.... While we all celebrate this magnificent holiday, by sitting on our asses, eating and getting fat, and being completely worthless, surronded by manufactured goods that were cheaper to make in other countries, make sure to remember the pinheads for their magnificent contribution to the general public. Without Pinheads, we would be WORKING today!!!!

FUCK THE POLICE
09-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Yeah...

It's kind of funny that "labour" day is one of the few days in the year most people don't work.

I do, though. Those pinheads apparently haven't penetrated Popeye's inc.'s skull.

Care4all
09-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Yeah...

It's kind of funny that "labour" day is one of the few days in the year most people don't work.

I do, though. Those pinheads apparently haven't penetrated Popeye's inc.'s skull.

you should get doubletime for it though, and here it might be time and a half plus equal comp hours off, so basically, doubletime and a half, for working today... :)

Well, I forgot you're in mississippi, what is the holiday pay there? :(

Damocles
09-04-2006, 09:36 AM
He works at a restaurant or retail, they do not get special consideration for this day.

Care4all
09-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Popeyes is pretty good chicken if a decade past memory serves, and isn't it them that has the dirty rice? hmmm, maybe not?

Damocles
09-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Popeyes is awesome chicken, if you get the spicy...

Cypress
09-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Happy Labor Day Dixie and Watermark, from President Bush!

"This Labor Day weekend, President Bush made the recess appointment of a Wal-Mart lawyer - with a long paper trail outlining his opposition to the Fair Labor Standards Act’s (FLSA’s) overtime pay and other provisions - to head the Labor Department’s Wage and Hour Division. "*

Care4all
09-04-2006, 09:42 AM
He works at a restaurant or retail, they do not get special consideration for this day.

He doesn't get holiday pay? no wayyyyyyyy!

Really?

Cypress
09-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Popeyes is pretty good chicken if a decade past memory serves, and isn't it them that has the dirty rice? hmmm, maybe not?

My wife used to be a florist who did a party for the billionaire owner of Popeyse in New Orleans. Man, that dude is a dirty old man! The dude is like 70 years old, and gets himself a new trophy wife every five years, or so.

Care4all
09-04-2006, 09:43 AM

"This Labor Day weekend, President Bush made the recess appointment of a Wal-Mart lawyer - with a long paper trail outlining his opposition to the Fair Labor Standards Act’s (FLSA’s) overtime pay and other provisions - to head the Labor Department’s Wage and Hour Division. "*

you have got to be kidding?

Cypress
09-04-2006, 09:47 AM
you have got to be kidding?

and you're suprised...why?

This is totally consistent with the conservative agenda. Weaken minimum wage laws, relax overtime rules, weaken labor law enforcement.

No big deal, no suprises.

Dixie - In Memoriam
09-04-2006, 10:09 AM

Oh My God! He worked for Walmart!!!!!!! *gasp*:eek:

Dixie - In Memoriam
09-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Maybe after the Pinheads drive Walmart out of business, they will create another really neat holiday for us to enjoy? Like Mom and Pop Day or something? Pinheads are really good at inventing holidays!

evince
09-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Census Bureau:Real median income down by 5.4

ROBERT KUTTNER
Another year, another wage loss
By Robert Kuttner | September 2, 2006

LABOR DAY was created by the machinists union in New York in 1882 as a ``workingmen's holiday." Unions all over America adopted the idea. By 1894, Congress passed legislation making Labor Day an official holiday. The day also celebrated the act of organizing, politically and in the workplace, to improve livelihoods and lives.

Today, the politics have largely been leached out of it. Labor Day is a long weekend that marks summer's end.

And that extra day of rest is needed more than ever. Government statistics show that the typical family works about 500 more hours a year than families did 30 years ago, because it takes two incomes to make it. Even so, family incomes are failing to keep pace with the cost of living.

This past week, these items have been in the news:

The Census Bureau reported that median incomes for working-age families were down again, for the fifth straight year. Real median income for households under age 65 is down by 5.4 percent since 2000, even though the economy has grown every year. All of that gain has gone to upper-bracket people and corporate profits.

The Pew Research Center released an extensive survey on public attitudes about the economy. Pew reported, ``The public thinks that workers were better off a generation ago on every key dimension of worker life -- be it wages, benefits, retirement plans, on-the-job stress, the loyalty they are shown by employers." And, statistically, the public is right.

The Globe recently reported that chief executives of nonprofit hospitals now routinely make more than $1 million. University presidents are not far behind.

The Economic Policy Institute (on whose board I serve) has released its annual, encyclopedic report, ``The State of Working America." Among its findings: The economy's productivity increased by a remarkable 33.5 percent between 1995 and 2005, but real wages have declined since 2000. Employer-provided health coverage declined from 69 percent in 1979 to 56 percent in 2004. The top 1 percent's share of interest, dividends, and capital gains has risen from 37.8 percent in 1979 to 57.5 percent in 2003.

Politically, it's evident what is occurring. Those in a position to capture astronomical incomes are awarding themselves an ever-larger share of the national economic pie. Meanwhile, ordinary incomes, job security, health security, and retirement security are eroding.

The political mystery is why everyone else is not kicking up a fuss. After all, as the Pew report suggests, it's not as if people are unaware of what's happening. Here's a clue to some of the puzzle: Polls show that people do want more reliable wages, pensions, and health insurance. But too many people have given up on the idea that the political process can be used to restore the American dream.

Theda Skocpol, author of several books of social history, tells of interviewing a hard-pressed woman with small children and a low-wage job. Her only social support was that her mother-in-law -- the children's grandmother -- looked after her children while she worked. As Skocpol observes, this was possible only because Social Security enabled the grandmother not to have to work herself.

Skocpol asked the woman whether she thought there was anything government might do to improve her economic circumstances. The woman replied, ``Nothing they do there ever makes a difference for people like me."

But that was not always so. Social Security, Medicare, college aid, the GI Bill, government wage-and-hour laws, and government protection of the right to unionize made a real difference in people's lives.

These policies, which benefited the vast middle class (and helped to create it), did not just happen. They were the result of political organizing and a public awareness that government could affect the economic opportunity and security of ordinary Americans, for better or worse.

It's understandable why politics today is often a turnoff. But if a great many middle-class and poor Americans have given up on politics, you can be sure that the economic elite is invested in politics as never before. The changes in the tax code and regulatory laws and workplace practices that benefit America's super-rich did not just happen, either. They are the result of relentless maneuvering by the financial elite and its political allies.

So this Labor Day, at the beach or in town, we suffer not just from reduced economic opportunity but diminished political imagination. You can ignore politics, but you can't escape it. So we might as well reclaim democracy to benefit the many rather than the few.

Robert Kuttner is co-editor of The American Prospect. His column appears regularly in the Globe.

© Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.

Dixie - In Memoriam
09-04-2006, 11:39 AM
© Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.

Do you not understand what the little "C" in the circle means?

http://publishing.wsu.edu/copyright/internet_copyright/

Now, unless you've worked out all the permissions Damo is required to have to not be in violation of US Copyright Law, you need to edit your post to conform to his rules on posting.

Damocles
09-04-2006, 11:42 AM
He doesn't get holiday pay? no wayyyyyyyy!

Really?
Really. I also never got it when I worked in the Amusement Industry...

OrnotBitwise
09-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Really. I also never got it when I worked in the Amusement Industry...
I didn't when I worked in the Service Industry either. I now have the good fortune to make my living in a less stressful sector.

Labor Day is one of the few holidays I actually honor, in the emotioan and literal sense.

yellow discipline
09-04-2006, 05:24 PM
I think to celebrate Labor Day we should drop some more of those 500lb bombs on some brown people. Or do the libs in here think we should negotiate with them as well?

Draw 'em in, nuke 'em, forget about 'em!

Care4all
09-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Please note: Only retail establishments may open during the summer holidays of Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day. Retail establishments which operate on New Year's Day, Columbus Day after 12 noon, or on November 11th after 1:00 p.m. are required to pay their employees time and one-half regardless of the number of employees on their payroll. Retail establishments which operate on the summer holidays of Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day must pay time and one-half if at least eight employees are on the payroll in the week prior to the holiday.

GUESS things are DIFFERENT in the northeast....at least in massachusetts! i was wrong about the double time, but they do get time and a half in massachusetts...

Damocles
09-04-2006, 09:52 PM
IF at least 8 people are on the payroll on the previous week... I wonder how they work around that...

Care4all
09-05-2006, 04:34 AM
IF at least 8 people are on the payroll on the previous week... I wonder how they work around that...

you mean ''small'' businesses? They won't even TRY to get around it up here...the employee would be on the phone to the State reporting them in a heartbeat.....

Besides, why would they want to cheat and break the law?

Is this how a "conservative" mind works...hahahaha....how to CHEAT out their emplyees?

PS. Of course you are right, and there will be some that try to break the Law, probably....especially in this day and age of stealing and cheating being a GOOD attribute.... just look at our role models in our own Government.... :(

care

pss. Did you look up your own state to see what the Holiday Pay is in your own state?

Care4all
09-05-2006, 04:37 AM
Actually Damo, I think it is pretty fair and business friendly the way the state does it here for Small Businesses of less than 8 employees not being forced to pay holiday pay....

Damocles
09-05-2006, 06:00 AM
Actually Damo, I think it is pretty fair and business friendly the way the state does it here for Small Businesses of less than 8 employees not being forced to pay holiday pay....
I'm trying to remember... I know some holidays I got time and a half... others I didn't. It really didn't matter to me so long as I had a day off a week I was good. I used to volunteer for Christmas, not for the pay but because it isn't a Buddhist thing...

uscitizen
09-05-2006, 06:25 AM
It's Labor Day! ....Thank a Pinhead!

Thanks Dixie.

Jarod
09-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Dixie are you a welcher?

from Maineman...

"methinks that Dixie decided to provoke this fued between us when he became aware of the poll numbers heading south for congressional democrats.

I predict that Dixie uses the current fued between us to renege on his $100 bet regarding Democrats picking up seats in both the hous and the senate.

Hell....it looks like we might very well regain control of the house and not just pick up some seats.....

Speaker Pelosi.... it has a nice ring to it..... impeachment hearings in the house .... a nice ring....

Bush's skunk stench will be impossible for republicans to wash off.... and they had better be sure that their '08 candidate has NEVER had his or her picture taken with Dubya because it is guaran-fuckin'-teed that if they have, it will make it into a campaign ad.

YOu all should have thought about running someone else in '04, but oh, no.... you were so fucking cocky back then...

I cannot wait for the day to watch you all eat crow!"

Dixie - In Memoriam
09-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Jarhead, I've already told you once, I no longer acknowledge the person you speak of, and I didn't put him on my ignore list, so that you might act as his mouthpiece, to communicate with me. This is the second time you have been warned about respecting my wishes, and there will not be a third. If you ever post anything directed at me, from the poster in question again, you will also be placed on the ignore list. This is not a threat, this is not a joke.

maineman
09-05-2006, 08:44 AM
I told you all he'd welch!

You can bet your bottom dollar that if the polls showed that the republicans were going to be winning big, he'd never have slandered me and never ignored me.....

this asshole will do anything to avoid coughing up a C-note.

Jarod
09-05-2006, 09:38 AM
I dont care if you ignore me or not... Makes no difference to me... its your own loss if you end up ignoring everyone who disagrees with you.

I was just asking about the bet, do you still plan on honoring it if you loose.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-05-2006, 08:49 PM

I'm sorry...

When did I become a Bush supporter?

I had yet to realize I had.

Dixie - In Memoriam
09-05-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm sorry...

When did I become a Bush supporter?

I had yet to realize I had.

It's the similar words, they often confuse retarded people....

Watermark...Walmart... In fact, Prissy probably calls you "Walmart" because he can't say "Watermark" without drooling uncontrolably.

Dixie - In Memoriam
09-05-2006, 09:15 PM
I dont care if you ignore me or not... Makes no difference to me... its your own loss if you end up ignoring everyone who disagrees with you.

I was just asking about the bet, do you still plan on honoring it if you loose.

Read it again, numbnuts. If I ignored everyone who disagreed with me, I would have no one left to talk to here, except maybe, Sir Evil, but I bet I could eventually find something we disagree on as well! It has nothing to do with your agreement or disagreement with me, it has to do with respect. You can respect my right to ignore the poster in question, or I can ignore you too.

As for your other question, my personal business is not your concern. Robdastud is the one who discusses his personal life here, why don't you go have a conversation with him?

root
09-05-2006, 11:50 PM
If I ignored everyone who disagreed with me, I would have to wallow in my failure as a human being and that is just unacceptable. As for your other question, my personal business is not your concern, Since being a hopeless, loser it's too embarrassing to talk about in public.

Robdastud is the one who discusses his personal life here and it's far too humiliating to talk about mine, heck my offspring haven't even evolved beyond walking on all 4's not to mention the folks in the trailer park have informed me that I'm in way over my head, please go talk to somebody that actually has clue.

Now leave me alone or else I'll run off to another site like the little bitch that I am, after all I derive my self worth from what I post on the Internet, not to mention how many times god chooses to visit me in the shower.

Finally! someone on the 'Net who is honest and forthright....very refreshing, I was beginning to believe that the 'Net was nothing but a collection of self important windbags but now mine eyes have seen....

maineman
09-06-2006, 07:12 AM
One would think that a wager entered into in front of an entire internet political website's membership would be something more public than "personal business".

Jarod
09-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Read it again, numbnuts. If I ignored everyone who disagreed with me, I would have no one left to talk to here, except maybe, Sir Evil, but I bet I could eventually find something we disagree on as well! It has nothing to do with your agreement or disagreement with me, it has to do with respect. You can respect my right to ignore the poster in question, or I can ignore you too.

As for your other question, my personal business is not your concern. Robdastud is the one who discusses his personal life here, why don't you go have a conversation with him?

How can you still consider if you honor a bet you made on a PUBLIC message board with all of us a witnesses as your own personal business?

Dixie - In Memoriam
09-06-2006, 09:16 AM
How can you still consider if you honor a bet you made on a PUBLIC message board with all of us a witnesses as your own personal business?

1. Did YOU make the bet? NO.
2. Did I make the bet with YOU? NO.

The way I see it, it's not a damn bit of your business. Can you explain why a wager between myself and another individual, is of any concern to you, or involves you in any way? Can you tell us why you should be privy to the details?

You are just a rude and obnoxious punk, without any regard for any one's personal business. Whine and cry, pitch a little liberal baby fit because I am not telling you, I really don't give a fuck. It's none of your business, and if you continue to badger me about it, you will join the other low-life scum on my ignore list.

maineman
09-06-2006, 09:18 AM
this whole bit about insulting me on FP.com and then refusing to apologize...getting me angry so that I would retaliate so that he could then run off in a huff was nothing more than Dixie's way of saving himself $100.

cheap prick

Jarod
09-06-2006, 11:47 AM
1. Did YOU make the bet? NO.
2. Did I make the bet with YOU? NO.

The way I see it, it's not a damn bit of your business. Can you explain why a wager between myself and another individual, is of any concern to you, or involves you in any way? Can you tell us why you should be privy to the details?

You are just a rude and obnoxious punk, without any regard for any one's personal business. Whine and cry, pitch a little liberal baby fit because I am not telling you, I really don't give a fuck. It's none of your business, and if you continue to badger me about it, you will join the other low-life scum on my ignore list.

Wow, guess I touched a nerve on this one. Quit with the threat about ignoring me, I dont care, it would only make you look bad!

You made it public information regarding your bet when you made the bet on a PUBLIC web cite for all to see. Had you dont it with private messages I would agree it would be none of my business...

What a pittafull excuse for a man!

AnyOldIron
09-11-2006, 03:48 AM
Dixie, if you don't want to have the holiday, go to work.

Don't just sit here bitching that others aren't living just to work.

In other words... get a life...

Dixie - In Memoriam
09-11-2006, 07:02 AM
Dixie, if you don't want to have the holiday, go to work.

Don't just sit here bitching that others aren't living just to work.

In other words... get a life...

Excuse me, but you are the one posting to a week old thread about Labor Day. I would say it is YOU who needs to get a life. For the record, I wasn't bitching about the holiday, I enjoyed my Labor Day off, and I'm grateful to Pinheads for coming up with it... I think that is what Pinheads do best!

Cypress
09-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Excuse me, but you are the one posting to a week old thread about Labor Day. I would say it is YOU who needs to get a life. For the record, I wasn't bitching about the holiday, I enjoyed my Labor Day off, and I'm grateful to Pinheads for coming up with it... I think that is what Pinheads do best!

Thank a pinhead for your saturdays off work. It was the labor movement that ended 6-day work weeks, and mandatory 80-hour a week employment.

uscitizen
09-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Also thank them that your under 18 children do not work in coal mines or other dangerous industries.

AnyOldIron
09-11-2006, 07:21 AM
Jarhead, I've already told you once, I no longer acknowledge the person you speak of, and I didn't put him on my ignore list, so that you might act as his mouthpiece, to communicate with me. This is the second time you have been warned about respecting my wishes, and there will not be a third. If you ever post anything directed at me, from the poster in question again, you will also be placed on the ignore list. This is not a threat, this is not a joke.

You're such a pompous arse, Dixie......

uscitizen
09-11-2006, 07:23 AM
You're such a pompous arse, Dixie......

what an understatement....