PDA

View Full Version : Not Good: Ayatollah Sistani Throws in the Towell

Cypress
09-03-2006, 12:52 PM
I no longer have power to save Iraq from civil war, warns Shia leader

The most influential moderate Shia leader in Iraq has abandoned attempts to restrain his followers, admitting that there is nothing he can do to prevent the country sliding towards civil war.

Aides say Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani is angry and disappointed that Shias are ignoring his calls for calm and are switching their allegiance in their thousands to more militant groups which promise protection from Sunni violence and revenge for attacks.

"I will not be a political leader any more," he told aides. "I am only happy to receive questions about religious matters."

Asked whether Ayatollah al-Sistani could prevent a civil war, Mr al-Jaberi replied: "Honestly, I think not. He is very angry, very disappointed."

He said a series of snubs had contributed to Ayatollah al-Sistani's decision. "He asked the politicians to ask the Americans to make a timetable for leaving but they disappointed him," he said. "After the war, the politicians were visiting him every month. If they wanted to do something, they visited him. But no one has visited him for two or three months. He is very angry that this is happening now. He sees this as very bad."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/03/wirq03.xml

American troops caught in the midddle, frustated by lack of clarity to their "mission"

Sergeant Poetsch thought the United States was doing the right thing by toppling Saddam Hussein. But the Army, he says, does not have nearly enough troops to patrol the city effectively, and he says Hit's residents, unlike the people he encountered during his previous tour in Baghdad, do not want to have much to do with the Americans.

"At the beginning, I was all for it," he said. "Saddam Hussein was not a good guy, and I always felt good that he is gone. But somehow it seems it seems that we lost direction. It is just hard for guys here to understand what we are doing. What makes it so significant if we can't have more manpower and better living conditions?"

The loss of a comrade hit the platoon hard, as Sgt. Ryan Kahlor, 22, noted in an emotional letter to his parents in San Diego.

"The world keeps turning and so does the fighting in Iraq," he wrote. "Yesterday, my soldier and friend was shot and killed. ...He is the first one in our platoon to be killed. His death has started an uproar of emotions in the platoon."

"No one understands why we are here and what our mission is," Sergeant Kahlor added. "This war is lost. We aren't helping these people. We are just dying and getting injured."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/03/weekinreview/03gordon.html?ex=1314936000&en=3eb55a23b4cd70a0&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Annie
09-03-2006, 12:55 PM

The most influential moderate Shia leader in Iraq has abandoned attempts to restrain his followers, admitting that there is nothing he can do to prevent the country sliding towards civil war.

Aides say Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani is angry and disappointed that Shias are ignoring his calls for calm and are switching their allegiance in their thousands to more militant groups which promise protection from Sunni violence and revenge for attacks.

"I will not be a political leader any more," he told aides. "I am only happy to receive questions about religious matters."

Asked whether Ayatollah al-Sistani could prevent a civil war, Mr al-Jaberi replied: "Honestly, I think not. He is very angry, very disappointed."

He said a series of snubs had contributed to Ayatollah al-Sistani's decision. "He asked the politicians to ask the Americans to make a timetable for leaving but they disappointed him," he said. "After the war, the politicians were visiting him every month. If they wanted to do something, they visited him. But no one has visited him for two or three months. He is very angry that this is happening now. He sees this as very bad."

American troops caught in the midddle, frustated by lack of clarity to their "mission"

Sergeant Poetsch thought the United States was doing the right thing by toppling Saddam Hussein. But the Army, he says, does not have nearly enough troops to patrol the city effectively, and he says Hit's residents, unlike the people he encountered during his previous tour in Baghdad, do not want to have much to do with the Americans.

"At the beginning, I was all for it," he said. "Saddam Hussein was not a good guy, and I always felt good that he is gone. But somehow it seems it seems that we lost direction. It is just hard for guys here to understand what we are doing. What makes it so significant if we can't have more manpower and better living conditions?"

The loss of a comrade hit the platoon hard, as Sgt. Ryan Kahlor, 22, noted in an emotional letter to his parents in San Diego.

"The world keeps turning and so does the fighting in Iraq," he wrote. "Yesterday, my soldier and friend was shot and killed. ...He is the first one in our platoon to be killed. His death has started an uproar of emotions in the platoon."

"No one understands why we are here and what our mission is," Sergeant Kahlor added. "This war is lost. We aren't helping these people. We are just dying and getting injured."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/03/weekinreview/03gordon.html?ex=1314936000&en=3eb55a23b4cd70a0&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Assuming all of this post is correct, Cypress, are you doing a happy dance? Feel great? I hope so 15 years or less from now.

Cypress
09-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Assuming all of this post is correct, Cypress, are you doing a happy dance? Feel great? I hope so 15 years or less from now.

No, I'm pissed that people like you sent american soldiers to their unneccessary deaths, and got them stuck in the middle of a civil war.

Annie
09-03-2006, 01:01 PM
No, I'm pissed that people like you sent american soldiers to their unneccessary deaths, and got them stuck in the middle of a civil war.

So 15 years or so from now, you can slam us with conviction backed by hindsight. So happy dance is the order.

Cypress
09-03-2006, 01:04 PM
So 15 years or so from now, you can slam us with conviction backed by hindsight. So happy dance is the order.

Everything I (and others) predicted four years ago is coming to pass. You should have listened back then instead of hurling "traitor!" insults. Don't act "suprised and shocked" about this, or accuse anyone of happy dancing.

You were warned this would happen. You chose not to listen, and gleefully sent americans to their deaths.

Annie
09-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Everything I (and others) predicted four years ago is coming to pass. You should have listened back then instead of hurling "traitor!" insults. Don't act "suprised and shocked" about this, or accuse anyone of happy dancing.

You were warned this would happen. You chose not to listen, and gleefully sent americans to their deaths.

I said nothing about traitors. Do the dance.

Cypress
09-03-2006, 01:10 PM
I said nothing about traitors. Do the dance.

Yeah, this is a message board classic. Seen it dozens of times.

Virtually every republican is now claiming that they didn't summarily dismiss with extreme prejudice, every warning and prediction from liberals about the consequences you would face for starting this war.

maineman
09-03-2006, 01:10 PM

it is disgusting how Bush cheerleaders smear their critics who have been proven right in their criticism of this war by claiming that we are "happy" about any of this.

Why can't you just admit that we were right and you were wrong and the best thing to do now is to get out from the middle of a civil war that our actions put into motion but now has a vibrant and bloody life of its own.

This war was a stupid idea whose regional and global ramifications were NEVER fully considered by the administration and its supporters before the fact.

We are NOT any safer now because of this war....only fewer and poorer.

Iran is now the dominant force in the region without any neighboring foil to its hegemony. The mess with Hezbollah in Lebanon is a prime example of Iran flexing its muscles without any nation state in the region capable or willing to stand up to it.

Annie
09-03-2006, 01:25 PM
it is disgusting how Bush cheerleaders smear their critics who have been proven right in their criticism of this war by claiming that we are "happy" about any of this.

Why can't you just admit that we were right and you were wrong and the best thing to do now is to get out from the middle of a civil war that our actions put into motion but now has a vibrant and bloody life of its own.

This war was a stupid idea whose regional and global ramifications were NEVER fully considered by the administration and its supporters before the fact.

We are NOT any safer now because of this war....only fewer and poorer.

Iran is now the dominant force in the region without any neighboring foil to its hegemony. The mess with Hezbollah in Lebanon is a prime example of Iran flexing its muscles without any nation state in the region capable or willing to stand up to it.
ASSuming all you are saying is correct, your take on how to deal with Iran?

maineman
09-03-2006, 01:33 PM
ASSuming all you are saying is correct, your take on how to deal with Iran?

here's the deal.... when assholes say things like this to me:

"20k dead and wounded. You took the dead and multiplied x 10? Interesting. In any case, I hope each soul of the dead, visits you."

the last thing in the world I want to do is have a polite discussion with them until the matter is cleared up.

Until then, all I can hope for is their son or daughter might be one of those souls of the dead who comes to visit me so that I can tell them what an asshole their parent was.

See how that works?

Damocles
09-03-2006, 01:36 PM
here's the deal.... when assholes say things like this to me:

"20k dead and wounded. You took the dead and multiplied x 10? Interesting. In any case, I hope each soul of the dead, visits you."

the last thing in the world I want to do is have a polite discussion with them until the matter is cleared up.

Until then, all I can hope for is their son or daughter might be one of those souls of the dead who comes to visit me so that I can tell them what an asshole their parent was.

See how that works?
Was it Runyon that said that there, maineman?

maineman
09-03-2006, 01:43 PM
indeed it was.

OrnotBitwise
09-03-2006, 01:45 PM
More than that, they caused the civil war itself. By making the childish "anything would be better than Saddam" assumption, they brought about the very situation that made civil war all but inevitable.

There are a lot of Americans who should be deeply ashamed of themselves.

Cypress
09-03-2006, 03:22 PM
More than that, they caused the civil war itself. By making the childish "anything would be better than Saddam" assumption, they brought about the very situation that made civil war all but inevitable.

There are a lot of Americans who should be deeply ashamed of themselves.

At this point, I'm forgiving anyone who cheerled us into the war, but has subseqently apologized for their mistake. And admitted they were wrong.

That "freedom fries" republican congressman from N. Carolina gets props from me. A ballsy thing to admit he was wrong. Good on him.

I simply cannot tolerate those who continue to spin, weave, and dodge and refuse to admit they made an error.

Hillary is still on my shit list for that very reason. As was Lieberman.

Prakosh
09-04-2006, 10:33 AM

————————

This much is crystal clear. We cannot win this war, anymore than we could have won Vietnam. Bush and his band of merry men, got rid of the only member of the crew who had any real experience with a war of attrition, and now they are spending time, money, and thousands of gallons of jet fuel flying all over the country and the world trying to convince the American people and their allies that something of import is happening in Iraq and that whatever that something is is in fact relevant to the wider global war on terror. Unfortunately, Bush, he of the "ec-a-lectic" reading "tastes" is intent on connecting the two and making success in the one contingent on success in the other. When in fact the relationship is not direct but inverse.

Bush thinks that staying is impertive if he is to win, but his arch rival bin Laden who gains immensely from this war while playing no real part in it, is in fact seeing his pre 9-11 dreams realized, and wins as long as Bush stays. Many think that 9-11 was an end in itself, but for bin Laden 9-11 was a means to his real end. He originally hoped to use 9-11 to enmesh America in a ground war in Afghanistan, where he would defeat them after several years, just as he had the Soviets. But he was outsmarted in Afghanistan and had to wait until the war in Iraq to finally see his dream of a war of attrition with America come to fruitition. Even more astounding, he has had no great role to play in this situation. He is getting his dream at no further cost. For bin Laden 9-11 is the gift that keeps on giving. And Bush is the dunce who can't see when he is being played. Easy Eddie, the pool shark, would have loved playing Bush. Unfortunately, the low-taxers and the no-taxers are being taken for the same senseless ride as Bush and they can't see it. Over half a trillion dollars so far and still counting; with Act III, Iran, in the wings.

End the madness! Impeach the Madman!

"Send him back to Texas make him work on his ranch. Yeah, yeah"

Bring the Troops Home Now!

evince
09-04-2006, 11:08 AM
We have to leave anything else is shear madness

Damocles
09-04-2006, 11:11 AM
I think that Bush should wait for an opportune time (many have passed already) and simply point out that the Iraqi troops and police outnumber us now and they are "ready" then begin a pullout to surrounding areas.

Cypress
09-04-2006, 11:14 AM
————————

This much is crystal clear. We cannot win this war, anymore than we could have won Vietnam. Bush and his band of merry men, got rid of the only member of the crew who had any real experience with a war of attrition, and now they are spending time, money, and thousands of gallons of jet fuel flying all over the country and the world trying to convince the American people and their allies that something of import is happening in Iraq and that whatever that something is is in fact relevant to the wider global war on terror. Unfortunately, Bush, he of the "ec-a-lectic" reading "tastes" is intent on connecting the two and making success in the one contingent on success in the other. When in fact the relationship is not direct but inverse.

Bush thinks that staying is impertive if he is to win, but his arch rival bin Laden who gains immensely from this war while playing no real part in it, is in fact seeing his pre 9-11 dreams realized, and wins as long as Bush stays. Many think that 9-11 was an end in itself, but for bin Laden 9-11 was a means to his real end. He originally hoped to use 9-11 to enmesh America in a ground war in Afghanistan, where he would defeat them after several years, just as he had the Soviets. But he was outsmarted in Afghanistan and had to wait until the war in Iraq to finally see his dream of a war of attrition with America come to fruitition. Even more astounding, he has had no great role to play in this situation. He is getting his dream at no further cost. For bin Laden 9-11 is the gift that keeps on giving. And Bush is the dunce who can't see when he is being played. Easy Eddie, the pool shark, would have loved playing Bush. Unfortunately, the low-taxers and the no-taxers are being taken for the same senseless ride as Bush and they can't see it. Over half a trillion dollars so far and still counting; with Act III, Iran, in the wings.

but for bin Laden 9-11 was a means to his real end. He originally hoped to use 9-11 to enmesh America in a ground war in Afghanistan, where he would defeat them after several years, just as he had the Soviets. But he was outsmarted in Afghanistan and had to wait until the war in Iraq to finally see his dream of a war of attrition with America come to fruitition. Even more astounding, he has had no great role to play in this situation. He is getting his dream at no further cost.

This is self-evident to all but the most loyal Bush boot-lickers.

Bin Ladin is laughing his ass off, having used used Bush as a puppet to further his goals.

Dixie - In Memoriam
09-04-2006, 11:22 AM
The problem we seem to keep having, is getting some people to realize, we can't pull out of Iraq now. It doesn't matter whether you thought it was a great idea or if you thought it was a lousy idea, we can't pull out now. This is the reason, every time you ask a Pinhead what the plan should be, they immediately reply: We should have never gone in the first place! There is no logical answer, and immediate unconditional withdrawal, is not an option at this time. Most people with more than a third-grade education, can understand the consequences of leaving Iraq are less desirable than staying. If you don't know this, you will just have to trust those who do.

If we announce a date, on which we will immediately withdraw all forces from Iraq, it's like sending a liberal a coupon for Free Starbucks, the terrorist element we are at war with, simply have to show up and claim their prize. It is just as bad an idea to let radical Islam control most of the world's oil supply today, as it was 3 years ago.

Now, I know, you liberal pinheads would all breathe a sigh of relief, your mission accomplished banners would be the only thing on your mind, but the enemy of our country and western civilization, would not be ready to celebrate victory with you, they would be making plans for completing the Caliphate, and with no obstacle in Iraq, without anything in their way, the remainder of the middle east will fall like dominoes.

If I were younger and stupid, I might join in the incessant rant with you anti-war types, because I hate that even ONE of our boys had to give his life for this shit, we shouldn't always be the ones to have to solve the problems of the world! If I were a numbnuts when it came to history, and didn't realize how mankind has had to deal with this kind of thing before, I might be willing to stick my head in the sand, and pretend that we can just get the hell out of the middle east, and let them sort their own problems out for themselves. Furthermore, if I knew for certain, that when the radical Muslims cut us completely off from mid-east oil supplies, and gas goes to $25 a gallon, the liberal crybabies weren't going to be unbearable to listen to.... I'd just say, what the hell... join the crowd... be an anti-war hippie! But I am cursed with intelligence here, I simply can't ignore what I know is right. Staying in Iraq, seeing our objectives completed successfully, and insuring Iraq is secure, is the right thing to do, on several fronts.

There is nothing to gain by withdrawing from Iraq in disgrace! I know that you Pinheads want and wish for nothing more, so you can use it for political advantage... I realize that you are too ignorant of reality and how things are in the real world, to understand any differently. Whether you don't comprehend the threat we face, or you have been brainwashed by socialists who have an agenda, doesn't have one thing to do with reality!

We are not talking about a game here. This isn't some American Idol competition or Survivor season. This isn't X-box or CyberNation, this is the real world and reality. Millions of people have perverted a religion to make it okay for them to kill us all. They are not trying to teach kids religion in school by saying "under God" in the pledge, they are cutting off your infidelic head, if you're not ready to put women in burkas and live in a cave. The Nick Berg beheading was not a Martin Scorsese dramatization, it was an actual human being, an American, with a real head. What part of reality are you idiots not comprehending here? It seems relatively clear to me, we have to defeat these people, we can't reason with them, and we can't ignore them for very long. Why can't we get any kind of a straight answer from you people, on what we should do? Please? Tell us!!!

evince
09-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Same shit they said which escalated Vietnam and look how that turned out?

Gdo Im sick of stupid people blustering like you Shreaderhead

Cypress
09-04-2006, 11:28 AM
The problem we seem to keep having, is getting some people to realize, we can't pull out of Iraq now. It doesn't matter whether you thought it was a great idea or if you thought it was a lousy idea, we can't pull out now. This is the reason, every time you ask a Pinhead what the plan should be, they immediately reply: We should have never gone in the first place!

Democratic plans for Iraq? Here ya go……..

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/16/us.iraqresolution/

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/02/20/democrats_may_unite_on_plan_to_pull_troops/

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5013535

http://fullpolitics.com/viewthread.php?tid=14465#pid338142

http://www.dccc.org/stakeholder/archives/003914.html

Prakosh
09-04-2006, 12:05 PM
The problem we seem to keep having, is getting some people to realize, we can't pull out of Iraq now. It doesn't matter whether you thought it was a great idea or if you thought it was a lousy idea, we can't pull out now. This is the reason, every time you ask a Pinhead what the plan should be, they immediately reply: We should have never gone in the first place! There is no logical answer, and immediate unconditional withdrawal, is not an option at this time. Most people with more than a third-grade education, can understand the consequences of leaving Iraq are less desirable than staying. If you don't know this, you will just have to trust those who do.

If we announce a date, on which we will immediately withdraw all forces from Iraq, it's like sending a liberal a coupon for Free Starbucks, the terrorist element we are at war with, simply have to show up and claim their prize. It is just as bad an idea to let radical Islam control most of the world's oil supply today, as it was 3 years ago.

Now, I know, you liberal pinheads would all breathe a sigh of relief, your mission accomplished banners would be the only thing on your mind, but the enemy of our country and western civilization, would not be ready to celebrate victory with you, they would be making plans for completing the Caliphate, and with no obstacle in Iraq, without anything in their way, the remainder of the middle east will fall like dominoes.

If I were younger and stupid, I might join in the incessant rant with you anti-war types, because I hate that even ONE of our boys had to give his life for this shit, we shouldn't always be the ones to have to solve the problems of the world! If I were a numbnuts when it came to history, and didn't realize how mankind has had to deal with this kind of thing before, I might be willing to stick my head in the sand, and pretend that we can just get the hell out of the middle east, and let them sort their own problems out for themselves. Furthermore, if I knew for certain, that when the radical Muslims cut us completely off from mid-east oil supplies, and gas goes to $25 a gallon, the liberal crybabies weren't going to be unbearable to listen to.... I'd just say, what the hell... join the crowd... be an anti-war hippie! But I am cursed with intelligence here, I simply can't ignore what I know is right. Staying in Iraq, seeing our objectives completed successfully, and insuring Iraq is secure, is the right thing to do, on several fronts.

There is nothing to gain by withdrawing from Iraq in disgrace! I know that you Pinheads want and wish for nothing more, so you can use it for political advantage... I realize that you are too ignorant of reality and how things are in the real world, to understand any differently. Whether you don't comprehend the threat we face, or you have been brainwashed by socialists who have an agenda, doesn't have one thing to do with reality!

We are not talking about a game here. This isn't some American Idol competition or Survivor season. This isn't X-box or CyberNation, this is the real world and reality. Millions of people have perverted a religion to make it okay for them to kill us all. They are not trying to teach kids religion in school by saying "under God" in the pledge, they are cutting off your infidelic head, if you're not ready to put women in burkas and live in a cave. The Nick Berg beheading was not a Martin Scorsese dramatization, it was an actual human being, an American, with a real head. What part of reality are you idiots not comprehending here? It seems relatively clear to me, we have to defeat these people, we can't reason with them, and we can't ignore them for very long. Why can't we get any kind of a straight answer from you people, on what we should do? Please? Tell us!!!

———————————————

"But I am cursed with intelligence" or at least apparently you think you are!!! Over 20,000 Americans have been wounded, and by the count kept by the traditionally conservative, John McLaughlin, over 100,000 Iraqis have died in this war. And we still are no closer to victory than we were when Bush stood like an expectant mother with his false dick bulging under the "Mission Accomplished" banner on the decks of the Abraham Lincoln on May 2, 2003.

In the meantime, it's been 1813 days since Bush claimed he would get Osama bin Laden "dead or alive." I'd call that gratification delayed...Now he brushes off all criticism as "America hating" and claims "war is hard work" and that he is no longer "concerned" with bin Laden. Now it's all about Iran, "the focus should be on Iran" say Bush and his mouthpieces. And any criticism is of course "anti-American." And yes the Caliphate is coming, and so are the Communists.

evince
09-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Prakosh You rock

klaatu
09-04-2006, 02:59 PM
————————

End the madness! Impeach the Madman!

"Send him back to Texas make him work on his ranch. Yeah, yeah"

Bring the Troops Home Now!

Well said until the last 3 sentences .... Impeach at this stage? C'mon. Send him back to Texas? Its going to happen in two years and a couple of monhs. Bring the troops home now? Im with you but in no way will it be an overnight mission ....