PDA

View Full Version : Media Strangely Silent on GOP "purge" of Moderates and Lurch to the far Right

Cypress
08-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Rhode Island Senate Race: Moderate republican senator Lincoln Chaffe losing Badly to rightwing primary challenger

Chafee (R) 34%
Laffey (R) 51 %

Ann Coulter has called for Lincoln Chaffe's assasination.

Rush Limbaugh calls Chaffe a radical liberal, and urges voters to go for Laffey.

The corporate media strangely silent, and not running with the narrative that a political party is purging a prominent Moderate and lurching towards political extremism

I wonder why?

Damocles
08-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Because it is Rhode Island and nobody but these two guys and their five neighbors live there.

Cypress
08-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Because it is Rhode Island and nobody but these two guys and their five neighbors live there.

Nice spin. ;)

Conn. is a small state too.

If this Laffy dude wins, Democrats win the senate seat.

Damocles
08-31-2006, 05:27 PM
In old Native American language of the area Rhode Island actually Translates to, "There is no State Here!" Each party picks a few people to move into that area and pretend to be "natives" of Rhode Island...

It's really a big snicker among the Party Elites.

Cypress
08-31-2006, 05:32 PM
In old Native American language of the area Rhode Island actually Translates to, "There is no State Here!" Each party picks a few people to move into that area and pretend to be "natives" of Rhode Island...

Intersting theory: so its the "size" of a state, which dictates whether corporate media is going to spin a narrative about a political party "purging" moderates and lurching uncontrollably towards extremism.

One problem with that theory though: moderate GOPer Arlen Spectre, a dean of the senate, nearly lost to a rightwing whacko in the Pennsylvania GOP primary last election cycle. And the media didn't spin the story as the rightward lurch of a political party.

One theory down the tubes ;)

Damocles
08-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Not really I just like to make fun of Rhode Island.

maineman
08-31-2006, 05:37 PM
but Lamont-Lieberman gets HUGE press.....

and the righties can't see the hypocrisy of that? and they still wanna claim that the media is LIBERAL? If the media were truly liberal, the GOP going after one of their own would be HUGE news.

Cypress
08-31-2006, 05:41 PM

and the righties can't see the hypocrisy of that? and they still wanna claim that the media is LIBERAL? If the media were truly liberal, the GOP going after one of their own would be HUGE news.

The media ain't liberal dude.

Virtually all of the talking head shows on MSNBC and FOX are conservatives.

Even CNN is trying to out-fox Fox: Rightwing whacko Glenn Beck is allowed his own nightly show. There's no comprable liberal talking head show.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-31-2006, 05:58 PM
Well, Rhode Island actually has more people per a square mile than any other state other than New Jersey.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-31-2006, 05:58 PM
It's just very, very tiny, to go along with that. So, in the end, it has a population half as much as my home state of Mississippi.

OrnotBitwise
08-31-2006, 06:00 PM
Rhode Island's still a state? I thought it got demoted to Territory, or Eastern Seabord Object, or something, along with Pluto.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-31-2006, 06:51 PM
Rhode Island's still a state? I thought it got demoted to Territory, or Eastern Seabord Object, or something, along with Pluto.

Oh come on. There are many states with populations far less and only one state with a higher population density than rhode island. I don't believe that total land area should be the only derimiter of the importance of a state.

Cancel7
08-31-2006, 07:12 PM

Damo, why don't you knock it off? You know that a Senate seat is a Senate seat, and the idea that the party elite, whatever "elite' might mean in the republican party of today, are snickering over the looming loss of this seat, which holds just as much power, just as much votes, and just as much sway as the CT Senate seat (which the world was going end over!!).

And no one called for Lieberman's murder, but all we heard all over tv, and right here, was how radically out of touch the democratic party was, for nominating a man who holds the same position as 60% of the country.

And nary a whisper about this, actualy radical, challenge. Your attempts to laugh it off might be funny, if you weren't getting on your high horse on another thread because a poster didn't catalog the racial sins of democrats. I mean, give me a break. Speaking of partisans Damo, I do hope you know that you are one?
All of this is said in a nice way, of course.

evince
08-31-2006, 07:17 PM
Damn liberal media

Cancel7
08-31-2006, 07:20 PM
Rhode Island Senate Race: Moderate republican senator Lincoln Chaffe losing Badly to rightwing primary challenger

Chafee (R) 34%
Laffey (R) 51 %

Ann Coulter has called for Lincoln Chaffe's assasination.

Rush Limbaugh calls Chaffe a radical liberal, and urges voters to go for Laffey.

The corporate media strangely silent, and not running with the narrative that a political party is purging a prominent Moderate and lurching towards political extremism

I wonder why?

Do you remember what Scott used to say, over and over? And I used to snicker everytime he said it, because it was so true, and also because he was so dry about it. "If a Republican does it, then that's OK".

And that truly is the motto of the Republican accolyte everywhere.

Damocles
08-31-2006, 08:09 PM
Damo, why don't you knock it off? You know that a Senate seat is a Senate seat, and the idea that the party elite, whatever "elite' might mean in the republican party of today, are snickering over the looming loss of this seat, which holds just as much power, just as much votes, and just as much sway as the CT Senate seat (which the world was going end over!!).

And no one called for Lieberman's murder, but all we heard all over tv, and right here, was how radically out of touch the democratic party was, for nominating a man who holds the same position as 60% of the country.

And nary a whisper about this, actualy radical, challenge. Your attempts to laugh it off might be funny, if you weren't getting on your high horse on another thread because a poster didn't catalog the racial sins of democrats. I mean, give me a break. Speaking of partisans Damo, I do hope you know that you are one?
All of this is said in a nice way, of course.
Why don't you read the thread where I admitted I just liked making fun of Rhode Island? Lighten up, not every single post must be the most serious.

BRUTALITOPS
08-31-2006, 08:36 PM

um.. it's you liberals making a big deal out of lieberman.. not conservatives.

Cypress
08-31-2006, 08:42 PM
um.. it's you liberals making a big deal out of lieberman.. not conservatives.

ROTFLAMO!!!

Good one grind! You're in rare form tonight. Hilarious!

You pratically couldn't turn on fox news or hannity in the month of august, without hearing about how Lamont was an indicator of the Dem party careening out of control, towards the "extremist" left.

Damocles
08-31-2006, 08:44 PM
It seems like I heard about the Lamont thing exactly the same amount I heard about the Rhode Island thing. From this board. I don't remember any huge shows about Lamont or anything... Of course I don't listen to Rush, his show is over when I leave work.

It also seems that I have the same amount of information as I had on the Lamont thing. What was given me on the board....

Cancel7
08-31-2006, 08:59 PM
You obviously do not watch the Sunday news shows then.

Guess who does? All of Washington first of all, and most people who have a serious interest in politics. Sorry, but just because you didn't see it (and I honestly do not know how a guy who runs a political message board missed it, but ok) doesn't mean there was nothing to see.

Cancel7
08-31-2006, 09:01 PM
Why don't you read the thread where I admitted I just liked making fun of Rhode Island? Lighten up, not every single post must be the most serious.

No, I know. Only the ones wherein you are responding to someone who is disparging republicans, with facts, btw.

Then we must get most serious indeed! :)

But otherwise, hey, it's all in good fun, chill man, chill.

NOVA
08-31-2006, 09:15 PM
Your point is what ?
Media Strangely Silent on GOP "purge" of Moderates and Lurch to the far Right
Get a clue.....sounds like you don't know what the hell you're talking about....

6/27/06

The Republican Main Street Partnership PAC called yesterday for Republican Sen. Lincoln Chafee’s primary challenger to drop out of the Rhode Island Senate race to help keep a Republican majority in the Senate. The National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) and Chafee’s campaign echoed the call.

Damocles
08-31-2006, 09:34 PM
You obviously do not watch the Sunday news shows then.

Guess who does? All of Washington first of all, and most people who have a serious interest in politics. Sorry, but just because you didn't see it (and I honestly do not know how a guy who runs a political message board missed it, but ok) doesn't mean there was nothing to see.
I'm at work at 6:00 am. I have to leave at 5:00 am to get there. I get up at 4:30 am... Morning news shows are not something that I can watch. I don't know how people who have real jobs have time for such nonsense. Especially when most of the people everybody complained about was Rush... BTW - My wife watches the morning news shows, Lamont is not something she brought up in conversation either. I think this one is a bit overplayed.

I did however tell everybody who posted that it was some odd thing in CT, that the Ds had every right to choose their candidate. I do predict that Lieberman will win though....

I have never spoken one poor word for Ds who voted against Lieberman. They made sense to me... If you are against a war and both candidates are the same otherwise why vote for the one that is for the war?

So, this whole I cared about the Lieberman thing but don't care about this one because of the Party is total hackeyed partisanship leeching meaning that is not there from my posts.

Cypress
09-01-2006, 06:50 AM
Your point is what ?
Media Strangely Silent on GOP "purge" of Moderates and Lurch to the far Right
Get a clue.....sounds like you don't know what the hell you're talking about....

6/27/06

The Republican Main Street Partnership PAC called yesterday for Republican Sen. Lincoln Chafee’s primary challenger to drop out of the Rhode Island Senate race to help keep a Republican majority in the Senate. The National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) and Chafee’s campaign echoed the call.

LOL

Thanks for proving my point that this is exactly like the Lieberman-Lamont race. But, the media isn't obsessing about if.

The vast majority of the Democratic Leadership backed Lieberman in the primary against Lamont. Hell, Clinton campaigned for lieberman. And yet, the grass roots democratic activists backed Lamont.

Exactly the same situation you're describing in the Chaffe-Laffey race.

uscitizen
09-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Rhode Island ? Big place took me nearly all day to ride accross it on my bicycle several years ago. BTW service is really nice in the off season in Newport, nice hotels, good food, etc...

Damocles
09-01-2006, 07:59 AM
LOL

Thanks for proving my point that this is exactly like the Lieberman-Lamont race. But, the media isn't obsessing about if.

The vast majority of the Democratic Leadership backed Lieberman in the primary against Lamont. Hell, Clinton campaigned for lieberman. And yet, the grass roots democratic activists backed Lamont.

Exactly the same situation you're describing in the Chaffe-Laffey race.
It does seem to have an incredible amount of similarity.

OrnotBitwise
09-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Oh come on. There are many states with populations far less and only one state with a higher population density than rhode island. I don't believe that total land area should be the only derimiter of the importance of a state.
Total population in 2000 of 1.05 million? Pfui! That wouldn't even make a decent county out here.

:tongout: