PDA

View Full Version : No Country For Old Men

Beefy
11-21-2007, 07:30 PM
The new Coen brothers movie went into wide release today.

Very, very cool film. Super violent very sociopathic, excellent acting, morbidly funny. I think I have to see it again.

I give it 6 out ouf 6 beers.

Cypress
11-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Never heard of it.

But, the part about violent and sociopathic sounds promising. :)

Beefy
11-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Never heard of it.

But, the part about violent and sociopathic sounds promising. :)

Unbelievably cool movie. I'll make this prediction, we'll be seeing a lot more of Javier Bardem in the future. His character in this film was extremely disturbing, alarming, purely sociopathing in its rawest sense, his stage presence is huge, and his acting was perfect.

Tommy Lee Jones was exceptional in it as well. Same with Josh Brolin and Woody Harrelson.

Very haunting film. Worth every minute.

The Coen brothers are phenominal film makers. Its interesting that they use almost no music whatsoever during the film. Sopranos style, and the character development and disconcern with classical scripting it beyond cool. You really never know what will happen. There is no predictibility.

Go see it. I think you'll dig it. I have to see it again.

And this is all from a guy who stopped going to movies years ago because of the pathetic quality of them. Its refreshing to see something this good.

Cypress
11-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Right on, my brother.

I rented "28 weeks later" to watch tonight. It's supposed to be a blood fest. :eek:

Beefy
11-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Right on, my brother.

I rented "28 weeks later" to watch tonight. It's supposed to be a blood fest. :eek:

Blood fests are easy to come by. But great, haunting, brutally honest, intentional, developed charachters are hard to write and harder to script.

This movie is a masterpiece.

FUCK THE POLICE
11-22-2007, 01:14 AM
It's based on a book by an author (Cormac McCarthy) who has been described as our "greatest living author". Harold Bloom, pretentious prick though he is, lists him as one of the four great authors of modern time, along with Thomas Pychnon, if that tells you anything.

You might want to pick it up, if you liked the movie. The guy, I've read, is often compared to Faulkner. I might pick the book up too, I'm tired of all this top 10 shit the corps keep shoving at us, and kind of tired of re-reading the same good old stuff too.

FUCK THE POLICE
11-22-2007, 01:32 AM
Actually... I just read that this film is going to be nominated for the Oscars.

Beefy
11-22-2007, 03:55 AM
Actually... I just read that this film is going to be nominated for the Oscars.

See the movie. Javier Bardem will be getting accolades out the skin for his role. Even an idiot like myself can appreciate the coolness and bluntness and ugliness of humanity that this movie shows.

LadyT
11-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Right on, my brother.

Not as good as 28 days later. But ditto.

Cypress
11-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Not as good as 28 days later. But ditto.

No, it wasn't as good as 28 days later. But, it was pretty good.

The first movie was brilliant. Hard to top. This one relied on blood and shock, a lot more than the first one.

LadyT
11-22-2007, 09:59 AM
No, it wasn't as good as 28 days later. But, it was pretty good.

The first movie was brilliant. Hard to top. This one relied on blood and shock, a lot more than the first one.

Yeah but there was definitely room for improvement. there were a couple of things in the plot that really annoyed me.

evince
11-22-2007, 10:14 AM
I watch ANYTHING the Coen brothers put out. Im no violence fan but they just plain make awsome movies.

FUCK THE POLICE
11-22-2007, 03:49 PM
:P

The Coen brothers just took a good story from McCarthy, that's all. Don't see why they should get all the praise whenever all they did is set up the lighting.

Battleborne
11-22-2007, 05:15 PM
:P

The Coen brothers just took a good story from McCarthy, that's all. Don't see why they should get all the praise whenever all they did is set up the lighting.

Y'all crack me up...was it the Coen Brothers or was the real name the 'Cohen' Brothers...Hollywood name changes crack me up...carry on though...this is amusing!

Battleborne
11-22-2007, 05:20 PM
It's based on a book by an author (Cormac McCarthy) who has been described as our "greatest living author". Harold Bloom, pretentious prick though he is, lists him as one of the four great authors of modern time, along with Thomas Pychnon, if that tells you anything.

You might want to pick it up, if you liked the movie. The guy, I've read, is often compared to Faulkner. I might pick the book up too, I'm tired of all this top 10 shit the corps keep shoving at us, and kind of tired of re-reading the same good old stuff too.

'Bloom' a distant relative...also related to... damn...Wyatt Earp!Y''all need to really research the family names!:rolleyes:

gonzojournals
11-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Great movie, based on the book by Cormac McCarthy, a great writer.

Agnosticus_Caesar
11-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Woody Harrelson, in a blunt, violent, well scripted ans well acted movie? I'd have never guessed that after seeinf "Natural Born Killers".

Beefy
11-23-2007, 02:40 AM
Woody Harrelson, in a blunt, violent, well scripted ans well acted movie? I'd have never guessed that after seeinf "Natural Born Killers".

I can sense your sarcasm, as it is blunt, as well as well scripted. But his part in this movie was small, well, well done, but small.

I seriously can't get this character "Anton Chigr" off my mind. What a great portrayal of a true sociopath. Perfect.

Beefy
11-23-2007, 02:41 AM
Great movie, based on the book by Cormac McCarthy, a great writer.

This movie I think will go down as one of the best ever. 30 years from now it will be looked upon with the same respect as we now look at "The Godfather". Truly monumental.

FUCK THE POLICE
11-23-2007, 11:23 AM
I can sense your sarcasm, as it is blunt, as well as well scripted. But his part in this movie was small, well, well done, but small.

I seriously can't get this character "Anton Chigr" off my mind. What a great portrayal of a true sociopath. Perfect.

Probably not a very good portrayal and probably based on a misunderstanding of what a sociopath is.

Portrayals of sociopaths in movies are much like their portrayals of any other mental illness - completely stupid and innacurate.

Beefy
11-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Probably not a very good portrayal and probably based on a misunderstanding of what a sociopath is.

Portrayals of sociopaths in movies are much like their portrayals of any other mental illness - completely stupid and innacurate.

Hogwash. Utter nonsense. Rubbish.

Cypress
11-23-2007, 06:25 PM
This movie I think will go down as one of the best ever. 30 years from now it will be looked upon with the same respect as we now look at "The Godfather". Truly monumental.

Okay, this is a good endorsement. I'll have to check it out. :)

Beefy
11-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Okay, this is a good endorsement. I'll have to check it out. :)

You'll be glad you did.

FUCK THE POLICE
11-23-2007, 07:47 PM
I just bought McCormac's other great work "The Road".