PDA

View Full Version : Pope calls employers who exploit workers ‘bloodsuckers

christiefan915
05-19-2016, 08:26 PM
Papa Frankie hits one out of the park again. Catholics need to stop thinking abortion is the only issue that deserves attention. Social teaching and justice has always been an important doctrine, especially since Pope Leo's encyclical in the 1890s.

ROME— Pope Francis on Thursday condemned employers who only offer temporary contracts or no health insurance to employees, calling them “bloodsuckers,” and saying they exploit those who desperately need a job by turning under-the-table payment into “civilized slavery.”

“Those poor people become slaves. We think of the here and now, the same thing happens all over the world,” Francis said in daily homily.

The pope complained of “rich people who exploit others,” saying they offer contracts only from September to June, and then the employees have to “eat air” from July to August. “Those who do that are true bloodsuckers, and they live by spilling the blood of the people who they make slaves of labor,” Francis said, according to a summary of the homily provided by Vatican Radio.

As an example, he quoted the example of a young girl who once told him about having a job that paid 650 euros (circa $700) a month for an 11-hour a day, under the table, and if she didn’t take it, someone else would because “there’s a line of people waiting.”

These exploitive employers, Francis warned, “grow fat on their riches.”

...However, several studies estimate that in so-called developed countries, at least 15 percent of the workforce is made up by this informal economy. A report from 2006 shows that in the United States, between 80 to 97 percent of nannies and private household employees were paid under the table, and the numbers aren’t much better for temporary jobs such as construction or home repair.

(Continued)

http://www.cruxnow.com/church/2016/05/19/pope-calls-employers-who-exploit-workers-bloodsuckers/:lies:

Legion Troll
05-19-2016, 08:37 PM
How can anyone who pretends to be a Christian be a conservative?

christiefan915
05-19-2016, 08:52 PM
How can anyone who pretends to be a Christian be a conservative?

There are some, to be fair. I think Norah's a nice Christian conservative.

Legion Troll
05-19-2016, 08:56 PM
There are some, to be fair. I think Norah's a nice Christian conservative.

She isn't old enough to cheat on taxes and exploit workers yet. Give her time.

christiefan915
05-19-2016, 09:01 PM
She isn't old enough to cheat on taxes and exploit workers yet. Give her time.

That's really cynical. I prefer to think that she won't lose her decency as she grows up.

Legion Troll
05-19-2016, 09:02 PM
That's really cynical. I prefer to think that she won't lose her decency as she grows up.

You can prefer to think whatever you like, Pollyanna. :D

Mircea
05-22-2016, 04:12 PM
As an example, he quoted the example of a young girl who once told him about having a job that paid 650 euros (circa $700) a month for an 11-hour a day, under the table, and if she didn’t take it, someone else would because “there’s a line of people waiting.”

Yeah, it's called Supply & Demand.

Celticguy
05-22-2016, 06:35 PM
Nannies prefer under the table to escape taxes.

christiefan915
05-23-2016, 07:55 PM

So do nanny employers.

Legion Troll
05-23-2016, 08:36 PM
So do nanny employers.

I heard that Teflon Don Trump paid no income taxes. :)

Leonthecat
05-23-2016, 11:25 PM

Like Nixon.

christiefan915
05-24-2016, 07:37 PM

I read that too. He "works aggressively to pay as little tax as possible."

Which is not to say we all want to pay as little as possible but I suspect Trump has options that aren't available to most of us.

Legion Troll
05-24-2016, 07:50 PM
I read that too. He "works aggressively to pay as little tax as possible."

Which is not to say we all want to pay as little as possible but I suspect Trump has options that aren't available to most of us.

I wonder if a zero tax paid bottom lines is the reason he won't reveal his returns.

Mott the Hoople
05-26-2016, 04:58 AM
Christie! What are you doing? You might as well be trying to teach manners to a Steeler or empathy to Grind as debating Lesion.

You're better off ignoring him or telling him to have a coke and a smile and to shut the fuck up.

Mott the Hoople
05-26-2016, 05:03 AM
Yeah, it's called Supply & Demand.
No it's called morals and ethics.

Mott the Hoople
05-26-2016, 05:06 AM
So do CEOs's, what's your point?

Celticguy
05-26-2016, 06:59 AM
So do CEOs's, what's your point?

Not really, more trouble than its worth.

Darth Omar
05-31-2016, 06:26 PM
Now we have the Occupy Wall Street Pope lol.