PDA

View Full Version : The End of the World

LadyT
08-31-2006, 08:42 AM
I was watching a doomsday special on ABC last night that had 7 possible events that could wipe out human civilization as we know it - ya know real feel good entertainment.

The one that really kind of scared me was the meteor hitting earth. Apparently in 2029 there is going to be one that will be a "near miss", it will come close enough to our satellite systems such that 7 years later when it comes around, there's a possibility it could hit. The model showed global destruction, but I don't know if that meteor could do actually that.

Anyone else have any doomsday fears?

Cypress
08-31-2006, 08:58 AM
I was watching a doomsday special on ABC last night that had 7 possible events that could wipe out human civilization as we know it - ya know real feel good entertainment.

The one that really kind of scared me was the meteor hitting earth. Apparently in 2029 there is going to be one that will be a "near miss", it will come close enough to our satellite systems such that 7 years later when it comes around, there's a possibility it could hit. The model showed global destruction, but I don't know if that meteor could do actually that.

Not really. The statistical probabity of me - or any of us - being around when a catostrophic event like that happens, is slim to none. I used to worry a little about getting nuked during the cold war.

I'm more worried about whether the air I breath or the food I eat is going to give me cancer.

uscitizen
08-31-2006, 09:00 AM
Nope no doomsday fears here. I don't expect to be alive in 2029 anyway. You youngsters can worry about that :)

Damocles
08-31-2006, 09:04 AM
The Mayan calendar ends in 2012, so we will end then. Haven't you heard? I mean, worrying about 2029 is just overkill.

uscitizen
08-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Umm but the mayans dissappeared before their calendar ran out....

Damocles
08-31-2006, 09:07 AM
That doesn't stop the overwhelming amount of paranoid listeners to George Noory from believing the world will end then. Get with the program. Their calendar is more predictive than any other one made by any other ancient civilization...

:D

uscitizen
08-31-2006, 09:23 AM
No problem Damo. I just have more pressing issues to worry about. Like what to do on the holiday weekend, or how my cat is doing, one is in the vet.
I sure can't be bothered by something as insignificant as the world ending ;)
wouldn't do any good anyway....

Damocles
08-31-2006, 09:26 AM
Especially since the calendar doesn't tell us what brings our end... It just stops.

LOL. Gotta give those people credit, there always is another end coming! Immediately following the failure of their previous horrible prediction they move on to the next one as if the past one didn't exist.

LadyT
08-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Well, according to the scientists, another meteor WILL hit earth at some point. One hit siberia in the early 1900s. Luckily it was just forest and not a heavily populated area. That would be worse than any hurricane, tornado or earth quake.

uscitizen
08-31-2006, 09:36 AM
Well if you believe the bible it won't hit till after Christ returns to earth.

uscitizen
08-31-2006, 09:38 AM
No prob on the killer meteor anyway. We will just send up some redneck drillers and drill exactly 800 ft down and blow it to hell.

Damocles
08-31-2006, 09:44 AM
No prob on the killer meteor anyway. We will just send up some redneck drillers and drill exactly 800 ft down and blow it to hell.
With nuclear weapons we borrow from Iran.

uscitizen
08-31-2006, 09:52 AM
I wonder... right now could the world cooperate enough to save it if we all had to pull together to do it ?

uscitizen
08-31-2006, 09:54 AM
Or would the impending destruction of our world be spun off as liberal/con/christian/islamic rhetoric till we were smashed into oblivion ?

Damocles
08-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Or would the impending destruction of our world be spun off as liberal/con/christian/islamic rhetoric till we were smashed into oblivion ?
It might also be spun as ineffectual otherland's lefty rhetoric as they point the finger at the Right and say it was their fault...

The first thing that would happen is the rest of the world would look to the US and say, "What are you going to do about it?"

Then the running and screaming would start.

France would promise to send 2000 astronauts with a nuke, but only send 3 with some TNT...

Russia would veto the Security Council resolution because it was put forward by the US, France would abstain from voting while China would take a more hardline stance and begin putting their population in underground prisons rather then the current above-ground ones they reside in.

The Muslim Countries would call it the Wrath of God or God's Hammer and ignore any attempt to get them to help. The US would send up a Space Shuttle that would promptly explode, followed by a second that would explode just before it got there leaving no time to save the world.

;)

Care4all
08-31-2006, 10:07 AM
It might also be spun as ineffectual otherland's lefty rhetoric as they point the finger at the Right and say it was their fault...

The first thing that would happen is the rest of the world would look to the US and say, "What are you going to do about it?"

Then the running and screaming would start.

France would promise to send 2000 astronauts with a nuke, but only send 3 with some TNT...

Russia would veto the Security Council resolution because it was put forward by the US, France would abstain from voting while China would take a more hardline stance and begin putting their population in underground prisons rather then the current above-ground ones they reside in.

The Muslim Countries would call it the Wrath of God or God's Hammer and ignore any attempt to get them to help. The US would send up a Space Shuttle that would promptly explode, followed by a second that would explode just before it got there leaving no time to save the world.

;)

good one!

btw, where is the smiley for a laugh or a cry?

uscitizen
08-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Pretty much what I was thinking Damo.

Damocles
08-31-2006, 10:21 AM
There's gotta be one in there somewhere... I'll go find one if not.

OrnotBitwise
08-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Well, according to the scientists, another meteor WILL hit earth at some point. One hit siberia in the early 1900s. Luckily it was just forest and not a heavily populated area. That would be worse than any hurricane, tornado or earth quake.
That's very true: one will. Many will, over the next few billion years. Probability can be deceptive, however. More to the point, human beings don't believe in it, for the most part. Our little monkey brains reject the implications. Too damaging to the ego, I suspect. :D

As cypress said, while it is virtually certain that the Earth will experience another mass extinction due to an impact event someday, the chances of it happening at any given moment are vanishingly tiny. The chances of one happening in your lifetime are only very slightly greater.

None of us are around long enough to make the chances of seeing such an event anything more than ridiculously remote.

Cypress
08-31-2006, 10:52 AM

Actually, it's thought that that was an asteroid, not a meteor that hit siberia. Less deadly, because its composed of ice, dust and gas, rather than solid rock.

I'm saying that catastrophic meteor strikes on earth only occury every 26 million years or so. It is statistically almost impossible that you or I will be alive when it happens. Of course, some day it will happen. Almost certainly, not in our lifetimes.

uscitizen
08-31-2006, 10:53 AM
You are thinking comet cypress ?

Cypress
08-31-2006, 10:57 AM
You are thinking comet cypress ?

My bad. You're right. Comet.

klaatu
08-31-2006, 11:10 AM
I watched this special Lady T and the thing that hit me the hardest was global warming... it pissd me off royaly .... The fact that all the powers that be know this is a fact ..and what are we doing? We are Warring over the very thing that is most responsible in terms of human contribution. ....that being OIL.
Its time we get off this addiction .. to save our future, to make a better place for our children. Do we really want to be the generation that is remembered for changing the earths landscape ... and not for the better... especially when we have the technology to make the change.

This is the very reason why I want Gore as the next President.. because he is the only one out there that would put this issue as the center piece of his presidency.... because it is the most important issue facing mankind. If there is another individual out there who is running for President that would make Global Warming and Alternative Energy the number one issue of their campaign..please let me know.

uscitizen
08-31-2006, 11:13 AM
Klaatu, global warming can't be that important , our economy is still good ?

klaatu
08-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Klaatu, global warming can't be that important , our economy is still good ?

The ironic thing about this USC.. if we fast tracked Alternative Energy.. we would create an all new economy ... great opportunities for the next generation. Its insanity ....

Cypress
08-31-2006, 11:17 AM
I watched this special Lady T and the thing that hit me the hardest was global warming... it pissd me off royaly .... The fact that all the powers that be know this is a fact ..and what are we doing? We are Warring over the very thing that is most responsible in terms of human contribution. ....that being OIL.
Its time we get off this addiction .. to save our future, to make a better place for our children. Do we really want to be the generation that is remembered for changing the earths landscape ... and not for the better... especially when we have the technology to make the change.

This is the very reason why I want Gore as the next President.. because he is the only one out there that would put this issue as the center piece of his presidency.... because it is the most important issue facing mankind. If there is another individual out there who is running for President that would make Global Warming and Alternative Energy the number one issue of their campaign..please let me know.

I agree with you there. The potential harm from global warming is easily as big a threat to us, our economy, and national security, as the potential threat from terrorist attacks.

Cypress
08-31-2006, 11:19 AM
The ironic thing about this USC.. if we fast tracked Alternative Energy.. we would create an all new economy ... great opportunities for the next generation. Its insanity ....

That was John Kerry's platform: to make alternative energy, the equivalent of the moon program in the 1960s - a top national priority and vision.

LadyT
08-31-2006, 11:32 AM

they actually mentioned that would be a very bad idea. A better way to deter it would be to use a gigantic ships gravitational pull to steer it off course with earth a few years ahead of time.

LadyT
08-31-2006, 11:34 AM

This is the very reason why I want Gore as the next President..

I agree

uscitizen
08-31-2006, 11:38 AM
I fully agree Klaatu, my post was sarcasm as you spotted :)

And weaken the ME as well as our demand for oil dropped.

Thorn
08-31-2006, 01:13 PM
they actually mentioned that would be a very bad idea. A better way to deter it would be to use a gigantic ships gravitational pull to steer it off course with earth a few years ahead of time.

Another suggestion was to try to divert the course of the object with powerful missiles; mathematical models were prepared and the feasibility of the project was under study. If the object has an orbit, the longterm effect of missile impact on the orbit would have to be considered -- what would be the consequences on all objects in the solar system, including Earth, ultimately, in altering that orbit?

I agree with all of you on the importance of reducing our contribution to greenhouse gases, and the many sound reasons, some political as well as environmental, for getting off oil. Just last night we saw a commercial for the new 2007 Chevy Avalanche, which apparently will be able to run on either gasoline or ethanol. Seems the technology is a lot closer than many of us thought!

We also have to educate ourselves far better and take more direct, personal action in the realm of conservation. The earth's resources are finite. Where I live was rated in the "red" (equivalent to the Sahara) in available water per capita. Recently our well went out and we had to rely to a very great extent on bottled water (and paper towels!) for over a month. I learned among other things just how much excess water I'd been using (and I'm one of the conservation adherents!), and how I can change the way I do things to use a lot less. This can apply to many aspects of our daily lives and shouldn't inconvenience us to any great extent at all.

LadyT
08-31-2006, 01:28 PM
I learned among other things just how much excess water I'd been using (and I'm one of the conservation adherents!), and how I can change the way I do things to use a lot less. This can apply to many aspects of our daily lives and shouldn't inconvenience us to any great extent at all.

That's a lesson we can all learn. I'm definitely guilty of wasting water and electricity.

uscitizen
08-31-2006, 03:02 PM
I waste a lot of stuff, but what the heck , shouldn't I get to waste my share ?

Thorn
08-31-2006, 03:44 PM
I waste a lot of stuff, but what the heck , shouldn't I get to waste my share ?

You don't have a "waste share"! :p :rolleyes:

IHateGovernment
09-01-2006, 11:49 AM
The low probability of a large impact is little consolation to me. Over a long period of time the probability of a mass extinction event becomes 100%. Also the probability of this extinction is the same at all point in time. Thus the probability that it will happen in 2055 is the same as 452055.

I happen to want the human race to survive and I suggest that we begin work on protecting our planet from such collisions immediately.

If we continue to have the attitude that "well it won't happen in my lifetime we will be saying that until we have a doomsday collision on the horizon.

A stitch in time saves nine.

uscitizen
09-01-2006, 11:56 AM
You don't have a "waste share"! :p :rolleyes:
sure I do if I can pay for it in a capitalist society. Our current economy mostly exists on waste. Frugal or even reasonable spending would put us in a deep recession.

OrnotBitwise
09-01-2006, 11:57 AM
The low probability of a large impact is little consolation to me. Over a long period of time the probability of a mass extinction event becomes 100%. Also the probability of this extinction is the same at all point in time. Thus the probability that it will happen in 2055 is the same as 452055.

I happen to want the human race to survive and I suggest that we begin work on protecting our planet from such collisions immediately.

If we continue to have the attitude that "well it won't happen in my lifetime we will be saying that until we have a doomsday collision on the horizon.

I totally agree. My point was simply that worrying about one's own, personal safety in this context is kind of silly. It's a problem that requires thought and planning, not hysteria and desperate half-measures.

Gaffer
09-01-2006, 05:21 PM
There are no known near earth objects that are a immediate threat at this time. There are people working on plans of what to do if one is spotted, but they are not many. The best to hope for being able to set of nukes near the object to nudge it away from a collision. Big ships with engines to move a huge asteroid are not available and would take a lot more years to build and test then we could afford.

Global warming from oil is a myth. Any warming going on is from natural means. Like the sun.

Any real threat of extinction would come from a super-volcano. Of course no one wants to hear that cause it can't be controled or stopped and can't be blamed on the evil republicans.

Hermes Thoth
05-23-2007, 07:01 AM
I'm more fearful of what the global elites will do to mankind.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/april2006/030406massculling.htm

Top Scientist Advocates Mass Culling 90% Of Human Population
Fellow professors and scientists applause and roar approval at elite's twisted and genocidal population control agenda

Paul Joseph Watson & Alex Jones/Prison Planet.com * April 3 2006

A top scientist gave a speech to the Texas Academy of Science last month in which he advocated the need to exterminate 90% of the population through the airborne ebola virus. Dr. Eric R. Pianka's chilling comments, and their enthusiastic reception again underscore the elite's agenda to enact horrifying measures of population control.

Pianka's speech was ordered to be kept off the record before it began as cameras were turned away and hundreds of students, scientists and professors sat in attendance.

Saying the public was not ready to hear the information presented, Pianka began by exclaiming, “We're no better than bacteria!”, as he jumped into a doomsday malthusian rant about overpopulation destroying the earth.

Standing in front of a slide of human skulls, Pianka gleefully advocated airborne ebola as his preferred method of exterminating the necessary 90% of humans, choosing it over AIDS because of its faster kill period. Ebola victims suffer the most tortuous deaths imaginable as the virus kills by liquefying the internal organs. The body literally dissolves as the victim writhes in pain bleeding from every orifice.

AnyOldIron
05-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Bit extreme to deal with a very real problem of overpopulation.

Humans have no natural predators, competition for resources isn't limiting numbers and medical research is removing (gradually) the problem of disease.

We need population control, but culling the majority of the people on Earth is extreme.

Ref the 'global elite'. Is this 'global elite' an organised entity?

Hermes Thoth
05-23-2007, 07:52 AM
Bit extreme to deal with a very real problem of overpopulation.

Humans have no natural predators, competition for resources isn't limiting numbers and medical research is removing (gradually) the problem of disease.

We need population control, but culling the majority of the people on Earth is extreme.

Ref the 'global elite'. Is this 'global elite' an organised entity?

No we don't. I say instead of empowering an elite and giving them the power of life and death over the species, we deal with the problems the elite allege as they occur instead of preempitively choosing death. there is so much uncultivated land all over the world. and after that, there is hydroponics. All posited shortages are false; they are merely lies the elite use to give themselve the ability to play god.

uscitizen
05-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Food shortages have thus far only been money shortages in certain areas to buy food with.
But as the population grows....

AnyOldIron
05-23-2007, 08:10 AM
You and your 'elites'....lol You talk some crap....

You intend to cultivate all available land as the population continues to expand? Ever heard of eco-systems, or are they just a conspiracy of the elite?

And the organisation that would be required to set-up a hydroponic system that will feed the world would require global organisation. To run hydroponics, you would also need to use vast quantities of scarce resources such as water and fuel.

Ever grown weed by hydroponics? The water and electricity bills are phenomenal. Is that a conspiracy by the global elite?

Hermes Thoth
05-23-2007, 08:16 AM
You and your 'elites'....lol You talk some crap....

You intend to cultivate all available land as the population continues to expand?

Yes.

Ever heard of eco-systems, or are they just a conspiracy of the elite?

Other plants and animals are what we cultivate when we cultivate, so we will be adding to eco-systems, and creating new ones.

And the organisation that would be required to set-up a hydroponic system that will feed the world would require global organisation.

No it wouldn't. I think all individuals should be taught all agricultural techniques, so we are not dependant on a centralized structure. your belief that all things must be centralized is and indicator of your brainwashedness.

To run hydroponics, you would also need to use vast quantities of scarce resources such as water and fuel.

Not necessarily.

Ever grown weed by hydroponics? The water and electricity bill is phenomenal.

that's because it has to be indoors and out of sight.

a hydro setup could be outdoors, if the crop were not illegal.

The future doesn't have to be what you want it to be. And humanity is not necessarily an enemy of nature. Gaiea loves mankind.

uscitizen
05-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Gaiea has a hollow belly and Abraham and fairies are walking upside down in there ;)

Hermes Thoth
05-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Gaiea has a hollow belly and Abraham and fairies are walking upside down in there ;)

yeah well, when I talk to ecoliars, i use their terminology.

Hermes Thoth
07-13-2007, 06:56 AM

Nope that's the real hale bopp. Nothing to fear.

uscitizen
07-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Oh well we will be pretty much out of oil by the second time it comes around anyway...

FUCK THE POLICE
07-13-2007, 07:22 AM

Not really. The statistical probabity of me - or any of us - being around when a catostrophic event like that happens, is slim to none. I used to worry a little about getting nuked during the cold war.

I'm more worried about whether the air I breath or the food I eat is going to give me cancer.

It's far more likely you'll die of a heart attack from that donut your eating that anything an evil corporation is putting in the air. About 100 times more likely, actually. Anyway - you're far more likely to get cancer from perfectly natural causes.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-13-2007, 07:24 AM

No one knows what hit siberia in the 1900's. Whatever it was caused the largest explosion in mankinds history. But it didn't really "hit" - if it was a meteor, it was a very tiny one that burnt up miles before it even touched ground. Comforting, eh?

Damocles
07-13-2007, 07:28 AM
No one knows what hit siberia in the 1900's. Whatever it was caused the largest explosion in mankinds history. But it didn't really "hit" - if it was a meteor, it was a very tiny one that burnt up miles before it even touched ground. Comforting, eh?
It could have been a micro-singularity which would also explain why there was no huge-assed crater.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-13-2007, 07:29 AM

If a meteors going to hit Earth, 90-100% of mankind will be wiped out. End of story. There's nothing we can do about that without causing an extinction ourselves.

The only way we could rationally further live after that would be to have a second colonized, self sustained planet. That's at least another 100 years off, probably more.

Damocles
07-13-2007, 07:58 AM
If a meteors going to hit Earth, 90-100% of mankind will be wiped out. End of story. There's nothing we can do about that without causing an extinction ourselves.

The only way we could rationally further live after that would be to have a second colonized, self sustained planet. That's at least another 100 years off, probably more.
Meteors hit the earth all the time, no need to be so chicken little about things...

Geez.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-13-2007, 08:03 AM
OK, so we send a nuke at the meteor. That way, we not only have a meteor heading at Earth, we have a radioactive meteor, which is so much cooler.

Hermes Thoth
07-13-2007, 08:04 AM
OK, so we send a nuke at the meteor. That way, we not only have a meteor heading at Earth, we have a radioactive meteor, which is so much cooler.

way cooler

uscitizen
07-13-2007, 08:34 AM

We have the technology to divert a killer meteor, the question is will we be smart enought to use it or just keep squabbling among ourselves and let it hit ?

AnyOldIron II
07-13-2007, 09:01 AM

Bloody nihilist elitist meteorites wanting to exterminate mankind, eh AHZ.....

uscitizen
07-13-2007, 09:02 AM
I thought someone said it was going to be a planet or moon with aliens on it that would get us ?
Brent maybe ?

Damocles
07-13-2007, 09:04 AM
I thought someone said it was going to be a planet or moon with aliens on it that would get us ?
Brent maybe ?
Yes, Wormwood... It's a brown dwarf with a population on it with stealth technology that allows them to hide the planet/star until it hits us with it's "moon" in 2012... at the end of that Mayan calendar.

Hermes Thoth
07-20-2007, 05:42 AM
Especially since the calendar doesn't tell us what brings our end... It just stops.

LOL. Gotta give those people credit, there always is another end coming! Immediately following the failure of their previous horrible prediction they move on to the next one as if the past one didn't exist.

All Calendars stop. THat just means you gotta go get a new one.

Battleborne
07-20-2007, 11:08 AM
We have the technology to divert a killer meteor, the question is will we be smart enought to use it or just keep squabbling among ourselves and let it hit ?

Betta tell NASA that... they are really silent about such thingees!

uscitizen
07-20-2007, 02:13 PM
Betta tell NASA that... they are really silent about such thingees!

Nope watched a show on PBS a few days ago about it. You really should stay away from Fox and watch PBS more.