PDA

View Full Version : Indiana state trooper fired for proselytizing during traffic stops

christiefan915
04-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Here's the other side of the religious rights question. Even though you're a cop, we don't have to listen to your proselytizing when you want to play the religion card.

The Indiana State Police said Thursday it had let go a trooper who had been sued twice in the past 18 months for allegedly preaching to citizens after stopping them for traffic violations. Senior Trooper Brian Hamilton, 40, was a 14-year veteran of the agency, Fox 59 reported. His firing was announced two days after the American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana filed suit on behalf of driver Wendy Pyle, who claimed her rights were violated after Hamilton pulled her over in January...

... Hamilton had previously been sued following a similar stop in August 2014, during which driver Ellen Bogan accused him of violating her constitutional rights. Bogan claimed that Hamilton asked her several times about her religious beliefs. He also allegedly gave her a pamphlet from First Baptist Church in Cambridge City, which asks readers to acknowledge being a sinner, and advertised a radio broadcast titled "Policing for Jesus Ministries."

Fox 59 reported that Hamilton was warned in writing after the incident, and was specifically told not to "question others regarding their religious beliefs nor provide religious pamphlets or similar advertisements."

Hamilton told Fox 59 that he was "just following what the Lord told me to do and you can’t change what the Lord tells you to do. So if the Lord tells me to speak about Jesus Christ, I do. And that’s why they fired me so that’s where we’re at."

Indiana State Police said Hamilton had been on desk duty since Jan. 15, when Pyle's initial complaint was filed.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/08/indiana-state-trooper-fired-for-proselytizing-during-traffic-stops.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl18|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-627168142

Minister of Truth
04-08-2016, 04:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8-YO6g05aA

Legion Troll
04-08-2016, 04:04 PM
This Christian had been disciplined before for falsely stating he was off duty when he wasn't, to avoid responding to a crash.
:palm:

A 14-year-veteran of the Indiana State Police was fired after he proselytized to people he stopped for traffic violations.

The ACLU of Indiana filed a lawsuit against ISP Trooper Brian Hamilton on behalf of Wendy Pyle.

Hamilton gave Pyle a warning ticket for speeding, then asked her what church she attended and whether she was "saved".

She says she did not feel free to leave while the questions were being asked. She filed a formal complaint about the stop.

Hamilton has been sued for similar claims before. In Oct. 2014, he was accused of prolonging a traffic stop by asking a woman about her faith, then handing her a pamphlet about how to become a Christian.

ISP announced it had terminated Hamilton's employment for insubordination and neglect of duty.

Indiana State Police Superintendent Doug Carter released a statement about Hamilton's termination.

“While all of us – citizen and police officer - enjoy the right to freedom of religion and freedom of speech, there are appropriate and proper restrictions placed on agents of the State related to their actions while engaged in their official duties. While I respect Mr. Hamilton’s religious views I am also charged to respect every citizen’s rights and the best way forward for the citizens of Indiana, and for Mr. Hamilton, was to end his employment as a state police officer.”

Stay on topic, or this thread will be moved to the war zone, where you will find all threads that devolve to back and forth insults.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/state/state-indiana/state-trooper-fired-for-proselytizing-on-duty

christiefan915
04-08-2016, 04:25 PM
This Christian had been disciplined before for falsely stating he was off duty when he wasn't, to avoid responding to a crash.
:palm:

A 14-year-veteran of the Indiana State Police was fired after he proselytized to people he stopped for traffic violations.

The ACLU of Indiana filed a lawsuit against ISP Trooper Brian Hamilton on behalf of Wendy Pyle.

Hamilton gave Pyle a warning ticket for speeding, then asked her what church she attended and whether she was "saved".

She says she did not feel free to leave while the questions were being asked. She filed a formal complaint about the stop.

Hamilton has been sued for similar claims before. In Oct. 2014, he was accused of prolonging a traffic stop by asking a woman about her faith, then handing her a pamphlet about how to become a Christian.

ISP announced it had terminated Hamilton's employment for insubordination and neglect of duty.

Indiana State Police Superintendent Doug Carter released a statement about Hamilton's termination.

“While all of us – citizen and police officer - enjoy the right to freedom of religion and freedom of speech, there are appropriate and proper restrictions placed on agents of the State related to their actions while engaged in their official duties. While I respect Mr. Hamilton’s religious views I am also charged to respect every citizen’s rights and the best way forward for the citizens of Indiana, and for Mr. Hamilton, was to end his employment as a state police officer.”

Stay on topic, or this thread will be moved to the war zone, where you will find all threads that devolve to back and forth insults.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/state/state-indiana/state-trooper-fired-for-proselytizing-on-duty

That can't be true. A GOOD CHRISTIAN would be a good Samaritan and help people who needed it, wouldn't he?

The Dude
04-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Thank god he's fired

Mott the Hoople
04-09-2016, 12:33 PM
Here's the other side of the religious rights question. Even though you're a cop, we don't have to listen to your proselytizing when you want to play the religion card.

The Indiana State Police said Thursday it had let go a trooper who had been sued twice in the past 18 months for allegedly preaching to citizens after stopping them for traffic violations. Senior Trooper Brian Hamilton, 40, was a 14-year veteran of the agency, Fox 59 reported. His firing was announced two days after the American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana filed suit on behalf of driver Wendy Pyle, who claimed her rights were violated after Hamilton pulled her over in January...

... Hamilton had previously been sued following a similar stop in August 2014, during which driver Ellen Bogan accused him of violating her constitutional rights. Bogan claimed that Hamilton asked her several times about her religious beliefs. He also allegedly gave her a pamphlet from First Baptist Church in Cambridge City, which asks readers to acknowledge being a sinner, and advertised a radio broadcast titled "Policing for Jesus Ministries."

Fox 59 reported that Hamilton was warned in writing after the incident, and was specifically told not to "question others regarding their religious beliefs nor provide religious pamphlets or similar advertisements."

Hamilton told Fox 59 that he was "just following what the Lord told me to do and you can’t change what the Lord tells you to do. So if the Lord tells me to speak about Jesus Christ, I do. And that’s why they fired me so that’s where we’re at."

Indiana State Police said Hamilton had been on desk duty since Jan. 15, when Pyle's initial complaint was filed.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/08/indiana-state-trooper-fired-for-proselytizing-during-traffic-stops.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl18|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-627168142
Sounds like an amicable resolution to me. He was told to stop and didn't cause he felt a higher calling, was fired for violating orders and seems to agree with his own firing.

Mott the Hoople
04-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Thank god he's fired
LOL I wish I could groan you for that awful pun! LOL

The Dude
04-10-2016, 04:45 AM
LOL I wish I could groan you for that awful pun! LOL

Who has better jokes than the dude

Ralph
04-19-2016, 03:17 PM
American
Communist
Lawyer
Union

Today's liberal word for today

B I G O T R Y

Sounds much like "liberal psychological projection": The projection of one's own negativity onto others. Example: Clearly its the police who was "intolerant" for inviting others to find religious fulfillment not the civil criminals who were stopped for breaching common law. :)

Liberal psychology. North is South, Up is Down, White is Black and those who don't agree deserve no Constitutional Rights. A Liberal's right to privacy trumps everyone's freedom to speak and sometimes even THE RIGHT TO LIFE must bend a knee to Liberal Privacy.

Its simple truth rests with the final judgment. Righteousness will be rewarded and evil punished....not the inversion.

Another liberal word worth noting: F R I V O L O U S

Sounds like some liberal's having a bad day because someone "pissed in their cornflakes".

An amusing story introduced in the hope of Baiting others into a frivolous discussion based on the Bigotry of the of the one introducing the story.

But its worth a Good Belly Laugh, there is nothing better for the soul than a good belly laugh. :)

The Dude
04-19-2016, 03:20 PM
American
Communist
Lawyer
Union

Today's liberal word for today

B I G O T R Y

Sounds much like "liberal psychological projection": The projection of one's own negativity onto others. Example: Clearly its the police who was "intolerant" for inviting others to find religious fulfillment not the civil criminals who were stopped for breaching common law. :)

Liberal psychology. North is South, Up is Down, White is Black and those who don't agree deserve no Constitutional Rights. A Liberal's right to privacy trumps everyone's freedom to speak.

Does that come free after your klan dues

Ralph
04-19-2016, 03:30 PM
Does that come free after your klan dues

Projection: So soon? What an attempted deflection away from your own bigotry by yet another baiting excursion? First a trooper and now the poor innocent klan? Shame on you.....for attacking the founders and leadership of the klan...good ole boy dimwits like Robert KKK Byrd. And you call yourself a good race and cultural baiter? Really? :palm: It truly shames me....you got me with that clear demonstration of critical independent thinking. :) You are just to good for me. Clearly it was conservative principles that were responsible for the creation of the Klan....not your guild's intolerance.

As for me? I can't get over the projected hatred of the Jews by the dimwit (democrat) klan....while claiming to be Christians, when Jesus, Peter, John etc., were all Jews. Things that make you go hummmmmmmmmmmm......

Again the liberal word for today

P R O J E C T I O N

The Dude
04-19-2016, 03:39 PM
Projection: So soon? What an attempted deflection away from your own bigotry by yet another baiting excursion? First a trooper and now the poor innocent klan? Shame on you.....for attacking the founders and leadership of the klan...good ole boy dimwits like Robert KKK Byrd. And you call yourself a good race and cultural baiter? Really? :palm: It truly shames me....you got me with that clear demonstration of critical independent thinking. :) You are just to good for me. Clearly it was conservative principles that were responsible for the creation of the Klan....not your guild's intolerance.

As for me? I can't get over the projected hatred of the Jews by the dimwit (democrat) klan....while claiming to be Christians, when Jesus, Peter, John etc., were all Jews. Things that make you go hummmmmmmmmmmm......

Again the liberal word for today

P R O J E C T I O N

I'm putting you on my idiots that didn't go to college ignore list

Ralph
04-19-2016, 03:44 PM
I'm putting you on my idiots that didn't go to college ignore list

Got me again...with your great LIBERAL TOLERANCE: Clearly you are much smarter than "I".....it must be true....you just told me so with yet another example of your critical one line independent thinking. You must be a Roads * Scholar

*wait for it......

The Dude
04-19-2016, 03:46 PM
This message is hidden because GED Ralph is on your ignore list.

Stelakh
04-20-2016, 02:54 PM

You don't seem to understand what actually happened, and you clearly can't differentiate between being a person and being an official of the state (I can't believe we have to go through THIS again).

Just as with that Kim Davis creature, the officer in question had a job to do and that job included being a representative of the state.

While individual people have First Amendment rights, the State does not and, by extension, when a person is acting in their official capacity as an agent of the State, then by extension and at that time they ARE the state and their First Amendment rights do not come into play if they are acting in that official capacity.

If he was off duty and not acting as an agent of the State, then fair game. He can proselytize all he wants. But he wasn't off-duty and he WAS acting as an agent of the State.

It really is THAT easy.

It's not an attack on religion, it's requiring him to do the job he swore he would uphold, and he broke his word on that score.

End of.

Legion Troll
04-20-2016, 03:16 PM
Any attempt to stop the American Taliban from forcing their beliefs on the rest of us in an official capacity is a "war on Christians" and an "attack on religious freedom", you know.

canceled.2021.1
04-20-2016, 05:02 PM
Any attempt to stop the American Taliban from forcing their beliefs on the rest of us in an official capacity is a "war on Christians" and an "attack on religious freedom", you know.

Cry harder

Legion Troll
04-20-2016, 06:03 PM
Cry harder

About what? Christians losing their jobs?

The Lord will provide. :rofl2: