PDA

View Full Version : Rabbi Lila Kagedan: A history-making title in Orthodox Judaism

Konono
04-05-2016, 03:52 PM
Ten young children sit around a table as Lila Kagedan walks into their synagogue's after-school program. Paper plates filled with art supplies are waiting for them to tear into.

Kagedan introduces herself as the new rabbi at their synagogue. Not one of the elementary-school-aged children seems surprised.
But her announcement is surprising -- historic, even: Kagedan, of Mount Freedom Jewish Center, is the first woman to have the title of rabbi serving an Orthodox congregation.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/05/living/first-orthodox-woman-rabbi-feat/index.html

Well that is certainly interesting. Not at all like "Orthodox" Muslims.

Phantasmal
04-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Ten young children sit around a table as Lila Kagedan walks into their synagogue's after-school program. Paper plates filled with art supplies are waiting for them to tear into.

Kagedan introduces herself as the new rabbi at their synagogue. Not one of the elementary-school-aged children seems surprised.
But her announcement is surprising -- historic, even: Kagedan, of Mount Freedom Jewish Center, is the first woman to have the title of rabbi serving an Orthodox congregation.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/05/living/first-orthodox-woman-rabbi-feat/index.html

Well that is certainly interesting. Not at all like "Orthodox" Muslims.
Does the Catholic Church have women priests? Do the Baptist or Lutherns? What about Mormons?

Appears many sects of the Abrahamic religions don't ordain women.

Konono
04-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Does the Catholic Church have women priests? Do the Baptist or Lutherns? What about Mormons?

Appears many sects of the Abrahamic religions don't ordain women.

This is true. I was surprised it was the Orthodox Jews who did it as they are usually more conservative than the other faiths.

Phantasmal
04-05-2016, 05:57 PM
This is true. I was surprised it was the Orthodox Jews who did it as they are usually more conservative than the other faiths.

Yes, true, maybe this will be an a Orthodox Spring, but I thought that decades ago when some Protestant faiths began ordaining women.

I thought when the Catholic Church had such a shortage of priests that they would begin the process, but not yet.

i think it is going to be awhile

AJ113
04-05-2016, 06:18 PM
Note that the RCA is still not "sold" as it were. While I support overall equality, I think the process of integrating will be a long process (as said above); tradition, especially those as deep-rooted as these, is a tough thing to budge.