PDA

View Full Version : An inside look at an ultra-Orthodox wedding in Israel

christiefan915
03-31-2016, 07:32 PM
Men and women separate, bride's head entirely covered when she enters the men's section, some sort of tradition where the rabbi leads the bride on a leash, black-clad women leading bride with her head and face hidden... no pictures of the women dressed up, dancing and enjoying themselves. And some people here think Muslims have no respect for women.

http://dlug-assets.grvcdn.com/7a/73/7c/d9/05/5f/9f/a5/9b/76/ab/3e/b3/1f/6a/1b-51380020156f0784256c6c7.38442832.jpg

Fascinating photos from a traditional Orthodox Jewish wedding showcase the religion's unique and ultra-Orthodox traditions. The wedding was a huge spectacle with the groom being a grandson of a famous rabbi. Thousands (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3495234/Ultra-Orthodox-Jewish-wedding-Israel-sees-THOUSANDS-guests-gather-celebrate-grandchildren-two-famous-rabbis-wed.html) lined the streets to catch a glimpse of the the newlyweds.

Orthodox Jews, who are known to be extremely conservative (http://www.sfgate.com/news/world/article/AP-PHOTOS-A-traditional-ultra-Orthodox-Jewish-6893445.php), had female and male guests separated by a gauze curtain and the bride wore a full-face veil.

Click through the slideshow above to take a look inside the ceremony.

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/03/16/an-inside-look-at-an-ultra-orthodox-wedding-in-israel/21329077/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl6|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-1973281345

Konono
03-31-2016, 08:44 PM
I would say she is not dressed like conservative muslims from head to toe with only a slit for the eyes in all black.

How do you know that is a leash?

christiefan915
04-01-2016, 07:30 AM
I would say she is not dressed like conservative muslims from head to toe with only a slit for the eyes in all black.

Do you know the "leash" thing by any other name? I'm open to hearing about the meaning of all these traditions. I've been to a Jewish wedding and this custom wasn't part of it.

The point is that customs and traditions in ultra-Orthodox ME religions seem to be fairly similar. Where I live Orthodox Jewish women have dress restrictions with the exception of face coverings. Also they are segregated for worship and the man has the dominant role in the marriage.

"In the streets of Orthodox Jewish Williamsburg you will see men walking around in very unique Hasidic Jewish clothing. (http://www.orthodox-jews.com/jewish-clothing.html) All will be wearing long black garbs, black hats and long beards. All men and boys will also have curls by their side. (http://www.orthodox-jews.com/jewish-clothing.html) The women will be dressed according to their Jewish Tradition. A custom called Tzniyus (modest (http://www.orthodox-jews.com/modest-jewish-clothing.html)). No part of their body will be exposed except from their palm and face. They will only wear skirts or dresses, for pants are forbidden. Married women will either wear a wig or Tichel (head-scarf) to cover their hair."

This isn't a criticism of the religion. I am pointing out to the Muslim haters that there are a lot of cultural and religious similarities between the Orthodox sects of both Islam and Judaism.

PostmodernProphet
04-01-2016, 02:10 PM

looks like a firehose to me......

Leonthecat
04-01-2016, 02:49 PM
The photographer Oded Balilty Refers to it as a "long sash"

http://www.odedbalilty.com/photojournalism/photojournalism/jewish-wedding/

The mitzvah tantz (mitzvah-dance) is the Hasidic custom of the men dancing with the bride on her wedding night, after the wedding feast. The bride stands perfectly still, holding one end of a long sash while rabbis, the groom’s father, her own father or her grandfather holds the other end and dances with her.

It is a way for the men in the ceremony to "dance" with the bride without touching her, although she never moves.
Hasidics are absolutely insane.
http://www.jewishpress.com/news/photos/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-mitzvah-tantz/2012/08/10/

Minister of Truth
04-01-2016, 03:06 PM
Do you know the "leash" thing by any other name? I'm open to hearing about the meaning of all these traditions. I've been to a Jewish wedding and this custom wasn't part of it.

The point is that customs and traditions in ultra-Orthodox ME religions seem to be fairly similar. Where I live Orthodox Jewish women have dress restrictions with the exception of face coverings. Also they are segregated for worship and the man has the dominant role in the marriage.

"In the streets of Orthodox Jewish Williamsburg you will see men walking around in very unique Hasidic Jewish clothing. (http://www.orthodox-jews.com/jewish-clothing.html) All will be wearing long black garbs, black hats and long beards. All men and boys will also have curls by their side. (http://www.orthodox-jews.com/jewish-clothing.html) The women will be dressed according to their Jewish Tradition. A custom called Tzniyus (modest (http://www.orthodox-jews.com/modest-jewish-clothing.html)). No part of their body will be exposed except from their palm and face. They will only wear skirts or dresses, for pants are forbidden. Married women will either wear a wig or Tichel (head-scarf) to cover their hair."

This isn't a criticism of the religion. I am pointing out to the Muslim haters that there are a lot of cultural and religious similarities between the Orthodox sects of both Islam and Judaism.

One huge difference, of course, is the penchant for bomb-making found in orthodox Islam...

christiefan915
04-01-2016, 03:56 PM
One huge difference, of course, is the penchant for bomb-making found in orthodox Islam...

How come when Americans set off bombs it's not called Christian terrorism?

PostmodernProphet
04-01-2016, 04:00 PM
How come when Americans set off bombs it's not called Christian terrorism?

maybe because some Americans aren't Christian............now I certainly know you haven't hesitated to say Christian's setting off bombs are Christian terrorists......even when you haven't even bothered to check if they were Christians.........

christiefan915
04-01-2016, 04:01 PM
maybe because some Americans aren't Christian............now I certainly know you haven't hesitated to say Christian's setting off bombs are Christian terrorists......even when you haven't even bothered to check if they were Christians.........

If the authorities don't identify their religion how do you expect me to get that info?

PostmodernProphet
04-01-2016, 04:03 PM
If the authorities don't identify their religion how do you expect me to get that info?

????......I don't......I expect you to make it up like you always do.........

christiefan915
04-01-2016, 05:40 PM
????......I don't......I expect you to make it up like you always do.........

Meaningless as ever.....

Leonthecat
04-01-2016, 07:06 PM

Wasn't Timmy a Christian, Pastor?

christiefan915
04-01-2016, 07:17 PM

When did you ever hear any American bomber, shooter, poisoner etc. described by their religion? It just doesn't happen.

Legion Troll
04-01-2016, 07:23 PM

Anders Breivik was, too.

PostmodernProphet
04-01-2016, 08:04 PM

who?......

PostmodernProphet
04-01-2016, 08:06 PM
Anders Breivik was, too.

????......gosh that's a stupid claim.......that's the guy who murdered Christians......

I suggest you refresh yourself regarding the facts.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Behring_Breivik

Minister of Truth
04-01-2016, 08:11 PM
When did you ever hear any American bomber, shooter, poisoner etc. described by their religion? It just doesn't happen.

Bob Jones?

christiefan915
04-01-2016, 08:29 PM
Bob Jones?

Huh? You mean the guy the uni was named after was a terrorist?

Minister of Truth
04-02-2016, 02:37 AM
Or Jim. I always forget his first name. It would have been awesome if he had gotten a university built prior to the colony. :D

moon
04-04-2016, 10:24 AM

Also in neoZionist Judaism. Here's a State Department list of proscribed ' Jewish ' terror groups;

From Presidential Executive Order 13224: "Blocking Property and Prohibiting Transactions With Persons Who Commit, Threaten to Commit, Or Support Terrorism." (Sept. 2001)

Kach; Kahane; Kahane Chai; Kahane Lives
American Friends Of The United Yeshiva
American Friends Of Yeshivat Rav Meir
Committee For The Safety Of The Roads
Dikuy Bogdim
Dov
Forefront Of The Idea
Friends Of The Jewish Idea Yeshiva
Jewish Idea Yeshiva
Jewish Legion
Judea Police
Judean Congress
Kahane Tzadak
Kfar Tapuah Fund
Koach
Meir's Youth
New Kach Movement (New York chapter)
No'ar Meir
Repression Of Traitors
State Of Judea
Sword Of David
The Committee Against Racism And Discrimination (CARD)
The Hatikva Jewish Identity Center
The International Kahane Movement
The Jewish Idea Yeshiva
The Judean Legion
The Judean Voice; The Voice of Judea
The Qomemiyut Movement
The Rabbi Meir David Kahane Memorial Fund
The Way Of The Torah
The Yeshiva Of The Jewish Idea
Yeshivat Harav Meir

Just because the Zionist-owned media doesn't report it doesn't mean that Palestine isn't awash with neoZionist terrorists.

moon
04-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Retired lawyer sues Israeli airline after she was asked to move seat

Renee Rabinowitz, 81, who fled Nazis as a child, says ultra-Orthodox Jew objected to sitting next to a woman on El Al flight

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/01/renee-rabinowitz-sue-israeli-airline-el-al-orthodox-gender-discrimination

Orthodox Judaism has some very real problems with misogyny.

Legion Troll
04-04-2016, 10:54 AM
????......gosh that's a stupid claim.......that's the guy who murdered Christians......I suggest you refresh yourself regarding the facts.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Behring_Breivik

Please, cite the text in your source article that states that Breivik murdered Christians.

I'll understand if you can't.

It does state this: Breivik chose to be confirmed into the Lutheran Church of Norway at the age of 15. Breivik believed himself to be the "knight Justiciar grand master" of a Templar organization. Breivik was characterized by analysts as being a right-wing extremist with anti-Muslim views and a deep-seated hatred of Islam, who considered himself a knight dedicated to stemming the tide of Muslim immigration.

On July 22, 2011, Breivik bombed government buildings in Oslo, which resulted in eight deaths.

Within a few hours of the explosion he arrived at Utøya island, the site of a camp for Worker's Youth League, posing as a police officer in order to take the ferry to the island, and then fired intermittently for more than one hour, killing 69, with one murder victim as young as 14 years old.

Breivik confessed and stated that the purpose of the attack was to save Norway and Western Europe from a Muslim takeover, and that the Labor Party had to "pay the price" for "letting down Norway and the Norwegian people."

Breivik prepared a document titled 2083: A European Declaration of Independence. The manifesto states its author is "100 percent Christian."

Stay on topic, or this thread will be moved to the war zone, where you will find all threads that devolve to back and forth insults.

PostmodernProphet
04-04-2016, 01:19 PM
Please, cite the text in your source article that states that Breivik murdered Christians.

It does state this: Breivik chose to be confirmed into the Lutheran Church of Norway at the age of 15. Breivik believed himself to be the "knight Justiciar grand master" of a Templar organization. Breivik was characterized by analysts as being a right-wing extremist with anti-Muslim views and a deep-seated hatred of Islam, who considered himself a knight dedicated to stemming the tide of Muslim immigration.

On July 22, 2011, Breivik bombed government buildings in Oslo, which resulted in eight deaths.

Within a few hours of the explosion he arrived at Utøya island, the site of a camp for Worker's Youth League, posing as a police officer in order to take the ferry to the island, and then fired intermittently for more than one hour, killing 69, with one murder victim as young as 14 years old.

Breivik confessed and stated that the purpose of the attack was to save Norway and Western Europe from a Muslim takeover, and that the Labor Party had to "pay the price" for "letting down Norway and the Norwegian people."

Breivik prepared a document titled 2083: A European Declaration of Independence. The manifesto states its author is "100 percent Christian."

Stay on topic, or this thread will be moved to the war zone, where you will find all threads that devolve to back and forth insults.

from the wiki article linked above....

In 2015 he stated that he considers himself "culturally Christian" but that he has never personally identified as a Christian, and calls his religion Odinism.[29][31]

His manifesto states "I'm not going to pretend I'm a very religious person, as that would be a lie", calls religion a crutch and a source for drawing mental strength, and says "I've always been very pragmatic and influenced by my secular surroundings and environment." Regarding the term cultural Christian, which he says means preserving European culture, he notes, "It is enough that you are a Christian-agnostic or a Christian-atheist (an atheist who wants to preserve at least the basics of the European Christian cultural legacy...)"

he didn't believe in God, he believed in European culture (which I think most will agree isn't very religious)........

The Dude
04-04-2016, 02:35 PM
Europeans do health care and skydaddy rejection way better than we do!

Legion Troll
04-04-2016, 02:43 PM
from the wiki article linked above....he didn't believe in God, he believed in European culture (which I think most will agree isn't very religious)........

He self-identified as a Christian and was confirmed as a Christian, PiMPle. He stated that the author of his manifesto - himself- was "100% Christian", as the quoted text states

He changed his tune later, after he murdered to show his hate for Muslim immigrants - a hate you seem to share, PiMPle.

I notice that you failed to cite the text in your source article that states that Breivik murdered Christians.

Why is that, PiMPle?

????......gosh that's a stupid claim.......that's the guy who murdered Christians......I suggest you refresh yourself regarding the facts.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Behring_Breivik

No mention of the religion of his victims, is there, PiMPle?

PostmodernProphet
04-04-2016, 02:57 PM
[B]He self-identified as a Christian

no he didn't......he self identified as an Odinist, which I expect is someone who worships Odin.........

Legion Troll
04-04-2016, 03:11 PM
no he didn't......he self identified as an Odinist, which I expect is someone who worships Odin.........

Yes, he did, PiMPle.

He also identified as a Christian.

It's in the article Y O U cited as a source. Try reading it.

Still claiming that he "murdered Christians," PiMPle?

Prove it.

PostmodernProphet
04-04-2016, 03:15 PM
It's in the article Y O U cited as a source.

you mean the article where he talked about how great it is to be a Christian atheist?......he didn't believe in God.......he worshiped European culture.....

Legion Troll
04-04-2016, 03:23 PM
you mean the article where he talked about how great it is to be a Christian atheist?......he didn't believe in God.......he worshiped European culture.....

I mean the article Y O U cited as proof that he "murdered Christians", PiMPle.

And do quote the text in that article that says he murdered Christians.

Legion Troll
04-04-2016, 03:25 PM

This article, PiMPle, which says:

The manifesto states its author is "100 percent Christian", but he is not "excessively religious" and considers himself a "cultural Christian" and a "modern-day crusader".

His manifesto states "I'm not going to pretend I'm a very religious person, as that would be a lie", calls religion a crutch and a source for drawing mental strength, and says "I've always been very pragmatic and influenced by my secular surroundings and environment."

Regarding the term cultural Christian, which he says means preserving European culture, he notes, "It is enough that you are a Christian-agnostic or a Christian-atheist (an atheist who wants to preserve at least the basics of the European Christian cultural legacy...)"

Furthermore, Breivik stated that "myself and many more like me do not necessarily have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and God."

Nevertheless, he stated that he planned to pray to God for help during his attacks.

PostmodernProphet
04-04-2016, 03:25 PM
I'm sorry you're too fucking stupid to understand a simple wiki article.......but I see you at least were willing to quote the part that proved you wrong......way to man up, Lesion........

Legion Troll
04-04-2016, 03:34 PM
I'm sorry you're too fucking stupid to understand a simple wiki article.......but I see you at least were willing to quote the part that proved you wrong......way to man up, Lesion........

It seems you can't deny that Breivik did identify as a Christian at several times in his life, and did claim to pray to God, and it also seems you can't find any reference to his victims being Christians.

PostmodernProphet
04-04-2016, 03:36 PM
It seems you can't deny that Breivik did identify as a Christian at several times in his life, and did claim to pray to God, and it also seems you can't find any reference to his victims being Christians.

obviously I can deny it.......in fact, if you simply scroll up a bit, there I am denying it...........is the fact you didn't know that simply another example of how fucking stupid you are?......

Legion Troll
04-04-2016, 03:45 PM
obviously I can deny it.......in fact, if you simply scroll up a bit, there I am denying it...........is the fact you didn't know that simply another example of how fucking stupid you are?......

It shows that Breivik is a lot like you, PiMPle - claiming to be Christian one minute, behaving in a heinous matter at other times, claiming to pray to God, and claiming all sorts of crazy stuff, and all the while exhibiting signs of mental illness.

Does the article - which Y O U offered as proof that Breivik "murdered Christians" say he murdered Christians, PiMPle?

I'll understand if you refuse to answer.

Konono
04-04-2016, 06:22 PM
In 2015 he stated that he considers himself "culturally Christian" but that he has never personally identified as a Christian, and calls his religion Odinism.

Poor Troll, wrong again.

moon
04-06-2016, 02:51 AM
Israel’s “chained women” fight for right to divorce

http://www.juancole.com/2016/04/israels-chained-women-fight-for-right-to-divorce.html

christiefan915
04-07-2016, 03:42 PM
It's the same thing here.

An orthodox woman’s 3-year divorce fight (http://nypost.com/2013/11/04/orthodox-jewish-womans-plea-for-a-divorce/)

moon
04-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Israel's Public Radio Service Refuses to Broadcast 'Controversial' Women of the Wall Ad

Multi-demoninational prayer group was scheduled to air ad advertising the upcoming priestly blessing service it will be holding at the Western Wall during the interim days of Passover.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.714113

Institutional misogyny.