PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Subvert the State

charver
08-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Calling all budding rebels out there in James Dean land.

Don't worry i'm not plotting a coup d'etat or anything.

Can anybody post this for me...
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/28/world/europe/28plot.html
It is blocked to British eyes as it may be 'prejudicial' to any trial.

It's not as if i'm going to be on the bloody jury or anything.

Go on you know you want to.

Damocles
08-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Is it really?

charver
08-29-2006, 11:37 AM
It really is, honest.

I just get this...

"This Article Is Unavailable
On advice of legal counsel, this article is unavailable to readers of nytimes.com in Britain. This arises from the requirement in British law that prohibits publication of prejudicial information about the defendants prior to trial. "

uscitizen
08-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Hmm, sorry Charver, I would have to suscribe to the NYT.

Damocles
08-29-2006, 11:41 AM
LONDON, Aug. 27 — On Aug. 9, in a small second-floor apartment in East London, two young Muslim men recorded a video justifying what the police say was their suicide plot to blow up trans-Atlantic planes: revenge against the United States and its “accomplices,” Britain and the Jews.

“As you bomb, you will be bombed; as you kill, you will be killed,” said one of the men on a “martyrdom” videotape, whose contents were described by a senior British official and a person briefed about the case. The young man added that he hoped God would be “pleased with us and accepts our deed.”

As it happened, the police had been monitoring the apartment with hidden video and audio equipment. Not long after the tape was recorded that day, Scotland Yard decided to shut down what they suspected was a terrorist cell. That action set off a chain of events that raised the terror threat levels in Britain and the United States, barred passengers from taking liquids on airplanes and plunged air traffic into chaos around the world.

The ominous language of seven recovered martyrdom videotapes is among new details that emerged from interviews with high-ranking British, European and American officials last week, demonstrating that the suspects had made considerable progress toward planning a terrorist attack. Those details include fresh evidence from Britain’s most wide-ranging terror investigation: receipts for cash transfers from abroad, a handwritten diary that appears to sketch out elements of a plot, and, on martyrdom tapes, several suspects’ statements of their motives.

(here is your first installment...)

Damocles
08-29-2006, 11:42 AM
But at the same time, five senior British officials said, the suspects were not prepared to strike immediately. Instead, the reactions of Britain and the United States in the wake of the arrests of 21 people on Aug. 10 were driven less by information about a specific, imminent attack than fear that other, unknown terrorists might strike.

The suspects had been working for months out of an apartment that investigators called the “bomb factory,” where the police watched as the suspects experimented with chemicals, according to British officials and others briefed on the evidence, all of whom spoke on condition of anonymity, citing British rules on confidentiality regarding criminal prosecutions.

In searches during raids, the police discovered what they said were the necessary components to make a highly volatile liquid explosive known as HMTD, jihadist materials, receipts of Western Union money transfers, seven martyrdom videos made by six suspects and the last will and testament of a would-be bomber, senior British officials said. One of the suspects said on his martyrdom video that the “war against Muslims” in Iraq and Afghanistan had motivated him to act.

Investigators say they believe that one of the leaders of the group, an unemployed man in his 20’s who was living in a modest apartment on government benefits, kept the key to the alleged “bomb factory” and helped others record martyrdom videos, the officials said.

(Part II)...

Damocles
08-29-2006, 11:43 AM
There are like four pages of this...

Hours after the police arrested the 21 suspects, police and government officials in both countries said they had intended to carry out the deadliest terrorist attack since Sept. 11.

Later that day, Paul Stephenson, deputy chief of the Metropolitan Police in London, said the goal of the people suspected of plotting the attack was “mass murder on an unimaginable scale.” On the day of the arrests, some officials estimated that as many as 10 planes were to be blown up, possibly over American cities. Michael Chertoff, the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, described the suspected plot as “getting really quite close to the execution stage.”

But British officials said the suspects still had a lot of work to do. Two of the suspects did not have passports, but had applied for expedited approval. One official said the people suspected of leading the plot were still recruiting and radicalizing would-be bombers.

While investigators found evidence on a computer memory stick indicating that one of the men had looked up airline schedules for flights from London to cities in the United States, the suspects had neither made reservations nor purchased plane tickets, a British official said. Some of their suspected bomb-making equipment was found five days after the arrests in a suitcase buried under leaves in the woods near High Wycombe, a town 30 miles northwest of London.

(Thus ends page one...)

Damocles
08-29-2006, 11:44 AM
I'll e-mail you the whole of the article...

charver
08-29-2006, 11:52 AM
Cheers Damo.

You reach the parts other political board boffins cannot reach.

Although, on first glance, it doesn't appear to tell us anything that we don't already know and that hasn't been printed in UK papers. Most perplexing.

Damocles
08-29-2006, 11:57 AM
I've sent the whole of the article to your e-mail address I have on record...

;)

The_State
08-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Charver, I'm afraid you're on notice mate. You are to report to Scottland yard at 13:30 tomorrow afternoon.

charver
08-29-2006, 12:04 PM
I am off to peruse it in greater detail now.

I only hope the security services weren't watching. If i fail to reappear, you'll tell my family i love them won't you? I really cannot fathom why they went to the extent of blocking an article. It is slightly ridiculous when you consider the NY Times is hardly the paper of choice for Joe Public and that just about every other nation in the world will have a similar article on their web pages.

Thanks again, Mr D. You is the man.

Damocles
08-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Charver, I'm afraid you're on notice mate. You are to report to Scottland yard at 13:30 tomorrow afternoon.

D'oh! It appears you have been found out!

:eek:

The_State
08-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Oh, we know all about you.

charver
08-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Oh, we know all about you.

I thought this was just a joke until, whilst grabbing a litte fresh air in the garden, my every step was shadowed by a squirrel wearing a wire.

uscitizen
08-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Hmm, you must have gotten shorted on homeland security funds. The squirrels have wireless bugs here.

LadyT
08-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Hmm, you must have gotten shorted on homeland security funds. The squirrels have wireless bugs here.

LOL @ USC :p

uscitizen
08-29-2006, 02:19 PM
there was a rumor they were going to close squirrel hunting season this year. those little Lithium bug batteries tend to explode when we fry our squirrels :o

TheDanold
08-29-2006, 02:38 PM
I thought this was just a joke until, whilst grabbing a litte fresh air in the garden, my every step was shadowed by a squirrel wearing a wire.
Those squirrels are getting more high-tech in their pursuit of nuts...

Blackflag
08-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Those squirrels are getting more high-tech in their pursuit of nuts...

LOL Good one!