PDA

View Full Version : Police State? Nah you're crazy.

Beefy
10-25-2007, 03:32 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/24/gao.terrorist.screening/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A new government report says there are now more than three quarters of a million names on the U.S. government's terrorist "watch list," raising concerns the list may be becoming too large.

Sen. Joe Lieberman, chairman of the Senate Homeland Security Committee, is concerned about the list's size.

A Government Accountability Office study out Wednesday said the Terrorist Screening Center's watch list contained approximately 755,000 names. But because many potential suspects have multiple names or aliases on the list, investigators are not certain how many distinct individuals are actually represented.

Officials at the Terrorist Screening Center told CNN in September that the number of individuals on the list is about 300,000.

Sen. Joe Lieberman, the chairman of the Senate Homeland Security Committee, said the "sheer size" of the list raises concerns. Lieberman, I-Connecticut, said the list contains an even higher number of records than 755,000.

"It contained 158,000 names including aliases in July 2004," Lieberman said during a hearing on the list. "That grew to 755,000 names by May of this year, and now stands at about 860,000 names just five months later. That's nearly a 500 percent increase in three years."

Nearly 1,000,000 Americans are on a "watch list" from this Federal Government. I really want you liberals to remember this. You're the ones who have been calling for more and more government power, a larger and larger government umbrella, and guess what? You got it. And now that you did get it, a fucking neocon madman has the power to abuse it as he sees fit. Congratultions on your victory. Pop the cork.

This really is the roots to Gestapo, KGB shit. Who decides who should be on the watchlist? Why, the same kind, wonderful government that you want to control your healthcare. Who decides who should be detained at the airport? Well, don't fear, is the friendly old Uncle Sam, who's actually doing us all a favor, and has your best interests at heart.

Who's that arresting you for no reason? Well, don't worry a wink about that. Its merely a procedure. We have enemies among us, and we must protect ourselves.

Who's that taking money out of your paycheck? Don't worry, its us, the arbitrators of fairness. Your friendly neighborhood government.

The same people who wish for more and more big government, and then feign surprise when the big government turns into this exact monster we have in the Bush Administration, can go read a fucking book.

Be careful what you wish for, because this animal in the Whitehouse rounhouse kicked you in the face with it.

Hermes Thoth
10-25-2007, 04:24 AM
Plenty of conservatives have become fascist little totalitarian idiots as well. And they think human slavery is a great technological innovation that should be lauded and encouraged.

uscitizen
10-25-2007, 07:08 AM
The liberals were the ones crying to pass the fatherland security stuff ?
And here I was thinking it had been the fight em over there or in Wal Mart bunch pushing for all the security stuff.

Damocles
10-25-2007, 07:23 AM
The liberals were the ones crying to pass the fatherland security stuff ?
And here I was thinking it had been the fight em over there or in Wal Mart bunch pushing for all the security stuff.
Short memories. Before 9/11 Bush and Co. were fighting to keep Homeland Security away, it was one of the things they caved on with the "everything has changed since 9/11" rubbish. Along with Federalizing airport security.

uscitizen
10-25-2007, 07:26 AM
Homeland security before 911 ????

Damocles
10-25-2007, 07:36 AM
Homeland security before 911 ????
Yup. There was a drive to centralize. Bush was fighting it, 9/11 hits suddenly it was all "Great idea!"

I'll have to look more into it. Shoot, 8 months into Bush's admin is a looong time ago. It wasn't called HS, but it was surely there. Especially the Federalizing of the Airport Security.

Damocles
10-25-2007, 07:42 AM
The drive was to cetralize databases to increase efficiency between departments of the federal government especially in law enforcement and intelligence. The worry was that such centralization would blur the line between the different departments.

Bush and Co. were against it until 9/11 when suddenly "everything changed" they then took that idea and brought it full circle to one Department of the government that covered all of them....

Some things to look into...

The Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000 would be a good one, it mandated some of that centralization that I speak of.

uscitizen
10-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Yup. There was a drive to centralize. Bush was fighting it, 9/11 hits suddenly it was all "Great idea!"

I'll have to look more into it. Shoot, 8 months into Bush's admin is a looong time ago. It wasn't called HS, but it was surely there. Especially the Federalizing of the Airport Security.

airport security before 911 was a joke. something needed to be done with it, and if it had changed perhaps 911 would not have happeded or at least been reduced...
Who can say ? All I know is from being a frequent business flier, is that airport security was a joke.

Damocles
10-25-2007, 09:07 AM
airport security before 911 was a joke. something needed to be done with it, and if it had changed perhaps 911 would not have happeded or at least been reduced...
Who can say ? All I know is from being a frequent business flier, is that airport security was a joke.
It hasn't changed. Other than making you take your shoes off what has really changed? The employees haven't. Their inability to recognize threats hasn't.

There were myriad things we could do to improve it other than a feel-good method of cetralizing it under the Federal government. Instead of studying places that are hugely successful, we just centralized it.

uscitizen
10-25-2007, 09:17 AM
sigh, yes bigger is seldom better...
Darla might disagree though :rolleyes:

I have done very little flying after 911.
Had to take off my sneakers every time though..