PDA

View Full Version : 75% in Arkansas, Alabama Believe Bible Literally True

robdastud
08-28-2006, 06:01 AM
Not surprisingly, the Bible Belt region lives up to its name with states like Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee and West Virginia containing the highest percentage of those who believe the Bible is literally true. Alabama and Arkansas came out on top as 75% say they believe the Bible is literally true. West Virginia (70%) and Tennessee (68%) are close behind.

The northeast region of our map represents the other extreme. In Vermont and Massachusetts, only 22% of those respondents believe the Bible is literally true—the lowest percentages in all states surveyed.

Earlier this summer, a national survey found that 54% of American adults believe the Bible is literally true.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2006/State%20Polls/August%202006/bibleLiterallyTrue.htm

how could you think LITERALLY....?? word for word?? LOL

uscitizen
08-28-2006, 06:44 AM
Of course they would say that. No one dares to say otherwise, for fear of being labeled atheist. Probably some of those respondants had never set foot in a church :)

Cypress
08-28-2006, 06:45 AM
I highly doubt Noah fit all those animals on an arc, or that Jonah lived in the belly of a whale.

robdastud
08-28-2006, 06:46 AM
I highly doubt Noah fit all those animals on an arc, or that Jonah lived in the belly of a whale.

so you do believe the pillar of salt story then right?

Damocles
08-28-2006, 06:51 AM
That was a fish, according to the story in the Bible, not a whale.

Cypress
08-28-2006, 07:24 AM
That was a fish, according to the story in the Bible, not a whale.

LOL good catch. Yes, I'm aware of that. But, in the lexicon of the day, I think whales were considered "fish". They didn't know about taxonomic classification back then, or the biological classification of mammals versus fish back then. And a whale is the only "fish" who's stomach is large enough for a man to live in.

leaningright
08-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Not surprisingly, the Bible Belt region lives up to its name with states like Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee and West Virginia containing the highest percentage of those who believe the Bible is literally true. Alabama and Arkansas came out on top as 75% say they believe the Bible is literally true. West Virginia (70%) and Tennessee (68%) are close behind.

And this is a bad thing?

The northeast region of our map represents the other extreme. In Vermont and Massachusetts, only 22% of those respondents believe the Bible is literally true—the lowest percentages in all states surveyed.

And this is a good thing?

Earlier this summer, a national survey found that 54% of American adults believe the Bible is literally true.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2006/State%20Polls/August%202006/bibleLiterallyTrue.htm

how could you think LITERALLY....?? word for word?? LOL

If the Bible isn't true then we (Christians) might as well forget about how we are trying to live. Of course we would believe that it is true. The Bible is the basis for Christianity and belief in the Bible is the starting point.

uscitizen
08-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Biblical schlors agree that parts of the bible are parables and such and not actual fact.

leaningright
08-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Biblical schlors agree that parts of the bible are parables and such and not actual fact.

Of course this is true. Many of the parables began, "And he spake a parable unto them saying...." Then there are others (more precisely allegories) like t he book of Hosea where Israel's relationship with God is portrayed through the life of the prophet Hosea who was told to marry a whorish prostitute who was not faithful to him. But it is all true. Society today, in their relationship to God, is just like the wife of Hosea, a whorish prostitute. It's worse in some areas than others.

leaningright
08-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Of course this is true. Many of the parables began, "And he spake a parable unto them saying...." Then there are others (more precisely allegories) like t he book of Hosea where Israel's relationship with God is portrayed through the life of the prophet Hosea who was told to marry a whorish prostitute who was not faithful to him. But it is all true. Society today, in their relationship to God, is just like the wife of Hosea, a whorish prostitute. It's worse in some areas than others.

I would also point out that, just like Hosea did with his wife, no matter what we have done in our past, God will take us back if we are willing to change. Once again, we have to change to fit the book. Too many today want to change the book to fit them.

uscitizen
08-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Too many today want to change the book to fit them.
//
I don't think that is just a today issue Leaning, it is a human problem.

leaningright
08-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Too many today want to change the book to fit them.
//
I don't think that is just a today issue Leaning, it is a human problem.

Yes, I do believe it is human nature to not want to be told what to do.

uscitizen
08-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Yes, I do believe it is human nature to not want to be told what to do.
I believe it is a bit more complicated than that. I think deep down many/most people want to be told what to to. but they what to think it is their idea :)