PDA

View Full Version : New Modification...

Damocles
01-13-2014, 12:33 AM
Because of the constant complaints about post flooding... I have added a new modification that will limit the number of new threads each user can post in a day. Current limits are 17 new threads per day, 10 in any one forum.

If users find this too restrictive please PM me, or post here or whatever. It isn't that difficult to get around it... but it will show we've tried to get some limit on flooding the board with new threads.

There are no limitations on the number of replies one can make, only on new threads. I can change the limits at any time (such as make them larger during election periods or something).

canceled.2021.1
01-13-2014, 06:53 AM
Sweet

Canceled.2014.2
01-13-2014, 07:04 AM
Sweet

Agreed!

cancel2 2022
01-13-2014, 07:08 AM
Maybe you ought to introduce a delay between posts to stop Desh's stream of consciousness or at least slow her down anyway.

canceled.2021.1
01-13-2014, 07:27 AM
I was just thinking at now Desh has something to bitch about today

canceled.2021.1
01-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Still won't stop her from crap flooding others threads but that is what thread banning is for.

This is really going to send her into a froth

Mott the Hoople
01-13-2014, 09:46 AM
Because of the constant complaints about post flooding... I have added a new modification that will limit the number of new threads each user can post in a day. Current limits are 17 new threads per day, 10 in any one forum.

If users find this too restrictive please PM me, or post here or whatever. It isn't that difficult to get around it... but it will show we've tried to get some limit on flooding the board with new threads.

There are no limitations on the number of replies one can make, only on new threads. I can change the limits at any time (such as make them larger during election periods or something).

Thanks Damo.

Jarod
01-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Sounds good to me.

christiefan915
01-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Now if only we could get a modification that prevents permanently-banned posters from constantly sneaking back in to create trouble.

Dantès
01-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Maybe you ought to introduce a delay between posts to stop Desh's stream of consciousness or at least slow her down anyway.

Yes, let's get a handle on that woman who is screwing things up, right tommy!

Jarod
01-13-2014, 10:30 AM
I find that MB does this.

/MSG/
01-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Now if only we could get a modification that prevents permanently-banned posters from constantly sneaking back in to create trouble.

We have one. It's a shotgun. I just need the legal cause to use it.

christiefan915
01-13-2014, 10:41 AM
We have one. It's a shotgun. I just need the legal cause to use it.

Lol.

jimnyc
01-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Just an Fyi - there are also add-ons and built in functionality to prevent double posting. This would prevent anyone from making post after post after post after post all in the same thread. If they continue to make repeated posts, it will just add them onto the last one. This is good for those who like to make a million posts to increase their post count. Maybe you don't have anyone here that makes flood posts in the same thread? :)

jimnyc
01-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Just an Fyi - there are also add-ons and built in functionality to prevent double posting. This would prevent anyone from making post after post after post after post all in the same thread. If they continue to make repeated posts, it will just add them onto the last one. This is good for those who like to make a million posts to increase their post count. Maybe you don't have anyone here that makes flood posts in the same thread? :)

Damo, I know you recently upgraded, so in case you haven't seen it yet:

Settings > Options > Message Posting Doublepost Options

Minister of Truth
01-13-2014, 11:01 AM
FASCISM!!

evince
01-13-2014, 11:13 AM
I hope it works out as planned.

I just wish I could comment on any thread .

It makes it really unfun when you try to answer someone only to find they blocked you from speaking in their thread.

It makes me go elsewhere at times

cawacko
01-13-2014, 11:16 AM

It makes it really unfun when you try to answer someone only to find they blocked you from speaking in their thread.

Why do I see a sudden rash of new threads banning Desh?

evince
01-13-2014, 11:17 AM
big money is the one this rule was made for honeybun

canceled.2021.1
01-13-2014, 11:22 AM

Actually there is a delay of 20 seconds

canceled.2021.1
01-13-2014, 11:23 AM

Damo please add this. This would corral Desh aka Jade

canceled.2021.1
01-13-2014, 11:25 AM

That's the point Jade.

Stop your crap flooding and you will be off threadban.

You and Zappas are no different. You keep being told what you have to do but you insist that it is EVERYONE else. It couldn't possibly be you. No. Your just a misunderstood genius right?

jimnyc
01-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Damo please add this. This would corral Desh aka Jade

The amount of time between "floods" can be set, and it can have them timestamped as well. Overall good for the entire board. Of course everyone makes a double post every now and again, but this is geared towards those who do it consistently.

canceled.2021.1
01-13-2014, 11:27 AM
big money is the one this rule was made for honeybun

You too Jade. You just lack the self awareness to realize it.

Maybe Damo could create a Martyr Forum

That way misunderstood geniuses like you and Zappas can go and vent your frustrations at how stupid the rest of the world is for not recognizing your sheer brilliance and the suffering you endure on out behalf.

You truly are misunderstood Jade

canceled.2021.1
01-13-2014, 11:30 AM
The amount of time between "floods" can be set, and it can have them timestamped as well. Overall good for the entire board. Of course everyone makes a double post every now and again, but this is geared towards those who do it consistently.

And we should name it the Anti Desh or AntiJade

I think Desh would leave if they imposed it

They should make it at least 60 seconds between posts and definitely turn on the double posting thing.

There are two things Desh aka Jade does that annoys the shot out of everyone and that is her crap flooding and her lack if the use of quotes. You never know who the dumb old bag is talking to

evince
01-13-2014, 11:32 AM
jimny wants this board run like he used to run a board.

Damo has class asshole unlike you

jimnyc
01-13-2014, 11:33 AM

Nope, I don't even have it turned on at my board, dolt. Why? Because YOU don't post there. I don't know of a single other member who makes flood posts like you.

evince
01-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Oh now you won the Board again?

jesus you do nothing but fucking lie huh

canceled.2021.1
01-13-2014, 11:34 AM

Yeah that sucks when people tell Damo how to run his board. It isn't like you lefties ever do it. I mean Howard NEVER did it.

:eyeroll:

Don't be surprised to see the double posting change. You brought it on yourself with your crapflodding.

jimnyc
01-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Oh now you won the Board again?

jesus you do nothing but fucking lie huh

Was there another contest I missed, dolt?

canceled.2021.1
01-13-2014, 11:54 AM
Could someone start a poll about the double posting functionality?

Since Desh is the prime offender and claims to love democracy we should make it a democratic process.

I would but I am on Tapatalk and can't start a poll.

cancel2 2022
01-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Actually there is a delay of 20 seconds

I know, that's not long enough. Two minutes would be better.

Damocles
01-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Damo, I know you recently upgraded, so in case you haven't seen it yet:

Settings > Options > Message Posting Doublepost Options
Let's see how that works. I like that they take some of the best mods and make them part of the software... I like to be able to add and remove tabs without having to code, etc. It's getting better, but I get sick of each time I upgrade it breaks like 5 mods...

Cancel 2016.11
01-13-2014, 12:29 PM
I know, that;s not long enough. Two minutes would be better.

I bet that's not the first time you've heard that!

jimnyc
01-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Let's see how that works. I like that they take some of the best mods and make them part of the software... I like to be able to add and remove tabs without having to code, etc. It's getting better, but I get sick of each time I upgrade it breaks like 5 mods...

I'll give them that much, they are cool about feedback. If enough clients ask for an add-on to become part of a future release, often they do just that. The tabs are a pain in the ass and I just gave up. The worst mistake they made is the activity stream being the default page after installation. You would think someone would have corrected that by now. The doublepost option is one of those that members asked for. It used to only be available via an add-on.

Damocles
01-13-2014, 12:34 PM
I'll give them that much, they are cool about feedback. If enough clients ask for an add-on to become part of a future release, often they do just that. The tabs are a pain in the ass and I just gave up. The worst mistake they made is the activity stream being the default page after installation. You would think someone would have corrected that by now. The doublepost option is one of those that members asked for. It used to only be available via an add-on.

I fixed that by making the inactive CMS the default screen, it auto defaults to the forum.php page if that is the setting. I changed my tabs above quite easily. The Navigation Manager was easy to use...

jimnyc
01-13-2014, 12:40 PM
I fixed that by making the inactive CMS the default screen, it auto defaults to the forum.php page if that is the setting. I changed my tabs above quite easily. The Navigation Manager was easy to use...

Yeah, I saw it had you for a bit too. Took me about an hour to get the index page to load after my upgrade. I personally don't like the new navigation manager. I'm one of those that expects new upgrades and features, but don't break what I like!

Damocles
01-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I saw it had you for a bit too. Took me about an hour to get the index page to load after my upgrade. I personally don't like the new navigation manager. I'm one of those that expects new upgrades and features, but don't break what I like!

I had no idea that it was even doing it until I went to ask some question about some other setting on vbulletin.com...

jimnyc
01-13-2014, 12:44 PM
I had no idea that it was even doing it until I went to ask some question about some other setting on vbulletin.com...

That's what I did, I couldn't figure it out and went there for help. Actually, I ended up going there like 9 times after the upgrade!

But whatever you do, don't pony up for 5.x!! What do you think of the latest on their site? I think it's horrible, and now I know 4.x is as far as I go with them.

Damocles
01-13-2014, 12:47 PM
That's what I did, I couldn't figure it out and went there for help. Actually, I ended up going there like 9 times after the upgrade!

But whatever you do, don't pony up for 5.x!! What do you think of the latest on their site? I think it's horrible, and now I know 4.x is as far as I go with them.

Yeah, I should have stuck with 3.x... I had a good set of mods and could write my own easily. The "upgraded" variables just made modifications suck so hard... It took me forever to figure out how to write the Thanks/Groans... Then vbulletin.org wouldn't let me publish them.

jimnyc
01-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I should have stuck with 3.x... I had a good set of mods and could write my own easily. The "upgraded" variables just made modifications suck so hard... It took me forever to figure out how to write the Thanks/Groans... Then vbulletin.org wouldn't let me publish them.

I was warned by someone (might be member here too), that I shouldn't do it as it was too "bloated" and slowed down the software. He was right. I used to have TONS of text files with code in them, to easily change templates around. Then came the variables, and now most of what I saved over the years became useless. :(

Damocles
01-13-2014, 01:07 PM
I was warned by someone (might be member here too), that I shouldn't do it as it was too "bloated" and slowed down the software. He was right. I used to have TONS of text files with code in them, to easily change templates around. Then came the variables, and now most of what I saved over the years became useless. :(
The best mod ever doesn't work with 4.2.2, the TMS (Template Modification System)...

You made changes using a template changer and it updated all of your templates at once. It was awesome, but now it throws database errors and they changed some of the templates so not all of the changes work.

They broke one of the best modifications ever.

jimnyc
01-13-2014, 01:16 PM
The best mod ever doesn't work with 4.2.2, the TMS (Template Modification System)...

You made changes using a template changer and it updated all of your templates at once. It was awesome, but now it throws database errors and they changed some of the templates so not all of the changes work.

They broke one of the best modifications ever.

Hmmmm..... Never used that one, and I guess it doesn't matter now since it's history. I think the best mod ever is the stats I use, the one that shows like the last 10 posts/threads at the top, and all kinds of other stats if you dig into it.

Another failed one though, that I still use, is the reputation system. Nothing more than a pat your friend on the back tool which really has no basis in reality about who 'really' has the better reputations on the board.