PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Schools Waterhead in English....

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Watermark has taken exception with my posting his quote in my sig, and while I am thrilled that it bothered him enough to protest, I also enjoy thumping him on his hollow noggin. :cof1:

From people who should suffice as unbiased experts on the subject:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/592/01/

RE: Proper capitalization;

The names of God, specific deities, religious figures, and holy books.

God the Father
the Virgin Mary
the Bible
the Greek gods
Moses
Shiva
Buddha
Zeus

Exception: Do not capitalize the non-specific use of the word "god."
The word "polytheistic" means the worship of more than one god.
========================================

Thus, you earned the honors for Pinhead Quote of the Moment.

Sir Evil
08-26-2006, 08:25 PM
I like it, the pinhead quote of the month has a nice ring too it! Make me think of my shitbrick thread, I wonder why? Oh' must be all the oneway back patting going on that a few had to knock em' down a peg! .......:cof1:

FUCK THE POLICE
08-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Thankyou for not diproving anything I've said.

You capitalize those things whenever you are referencing something specific, it's a title. I never disagreed with any of that. You've not disproved any of it. It's bad grammar, however, to capitalize "he" when in reference to God, just as you would not capitlize "he" when in reference to myself. To do so just to make yourself look holier than everyone else is annoying.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-26-2006, 08:34 PM
God you're an idiot.

What the hell's your point? You didn't disprove anything I said. Why are you acting like you've made this humongous point? Fucktard.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-26-2006, 08:39 PM
People first started capitizing God whenever the English language began, because that's simply how it works. God is classified as a person grammatically, not matter how you feel about it. Then holier-than-thou religious zealots ran with that notion and believed people were capitilizing it to difference it from the gods, whenever actually "gods" isn't capitilized because it's nonspecific, like any other nonspecific term. Then they started capitilizing "He" because it made them feel better than everyone else. Finally we're getting away from such nonsense.

maineman
08-26-2006, 08:45 PM
I cannot believe you are giving him this much attention.... you know he craves it like a little kid

Sir Evil
08-26-2006, 08:48 PM
I cannot believe you are giving him this much attention.... you know he craves it like a little kid

Don't forget about me maine, I'm kinda hard to ignore! :cof1:

FUCK THE POLICE
08-26-2006, 08:54 PM

Dixie? Or me?

maineman
08-26-2006, 08:59 PM
dixie of course

Damocles
08-26-2006, 09:03 PM
I think he means he can't believe that you (watermark) are giving him (dixie) this much attention...

maineman
08-26-2006, 09:06 PM
I think he means he can't believe that you (watermark) are giving him (dixie) this much attention...

bingo

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-27-2006, 12:37 AM
People first started capitizing God whenever the English language began, because that's simply how it works. God is classified as a person grammatically, not matter how you feel about it. Then holier-than-thou religious zealots ran with that notion and believed people were capitilizing it to difference it from the gods, whenever actually "gods" isn't capitilized because it's nonspecific, like any other nonspecific term. Then they started capitilizing "He" because it made them feel better than everyone else. Finally we're getting away from such nonsense.

LMAO... Simply how it works? Is that your evidence to back your absurdity? God isn't "classified" as a person or an individual, as you said. God is classified as God, a specific religious deity. When speaking on this deity's Son, it is also capitalized, because the Son of God is a religious figure... like the Virgin Mary. When speaking of this deity in gender-based pronouns, like He, His, Him, it is properly capitalized to denote reference to said "religious figure".

That's simply how English grammar works.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-27-2006, 07:21 PM
God is capitalized because it is specific, like any other specific term. "He" is not specific. You don't capitlize it, unless you're talking about someone who happens to be named "He". To create extra rules in order to make yourself feel better than the heathens who don't use them is ridiculous, and I refuse to use these holyroller addendums to the English language.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-27-2006, 08:16 PM
God is capitalized because it is specific, like any other specific term. "He" is not specific. You don't capitlize it, unless you're talking about someone who happens to be named "He". To create extra rules in order to make yourself feel better than the heathens who don't use them is ridiculous, and I refuse to use these holyroller addendums to the English language.

"He," when speaking of "God" is specific. God is not a male or female, the pronoun is often used as a proper noun, to refer to the entity, "God," and when it specifically is, it may be capitalized. I didn't create the rule, the people who created grammar did, I am just pointing them out to you. Again, see the link above, from the English Department at Purdue University.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-27-2006, 08:54 PM
They didn't say anything about capitilizing "He", which is capitalized nowhere else in the English language.

And, BTW, there was noone who "created" grammar, and really, there isn't a fully specific way to define it. To say so would show a profound misunderstanding of linguistics on your part. I'll use my dialect, and you use your hollier-than-thou, look at me I'm great dialect.

Gaffer
08-27-2006, 09:14 PM
water doesn't like the standards set by Purdues English experts so he wants to change them to fit his own ideas. Now he will repeat it a thousand times and others will begin to believe he's right. He's frantically seeking to create grey areas.

As for me I do things my own way too. I don't capitalize names that I have contempt for. Some times typos occur but names and places I think are shit I don't capitalize. like iran, syria, saddam, clinton, bin kerry, mohamad, the koran, islam, etc.

Sir Evil
08-27-2006, 09:28 PM
As for me I do things my own way too. I don't capitalize names that I have contempt for. Some times typos occur but names and places I think are shit I don't capitalize. like iran, syria, saddam, clinton, bin kerry, mohamad, the koran, islam, etc.

I knew you were the anti-christ! :cof1:

Gaffer
08-27-2006, 09:37 PM
I knew you were the anti-christ! :cof1:

shhhhh...big mouth

AnyOldIron
08-29-2006, 01:56 AM
God the Father
the Virgin Mary
the Bible
the Greek gods
Moses
Shiva
Buddha
Zeus

Your website is incorrect.

Zeus, Buddha, Shiva and Moses are capitalised because they are proper nouns. As is Greek in 'Greek gods'

The Christian obsession with capitalising anything to do with 'god' is entirely through convention only...

Pronouns
In English, the nominative form of the singular first-person pronoun, I, is capitalized, along with all its contractions (I'll, I'm, etc).
Many European languages capitalize nouns and pronouns used to refer to God: Hallowed be Thy name. Some English authors capitalize any word referring to God: the Lamb, the Almighty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalisation

AnyOldIron
08-29-2006, 02:07 AM
God isn't "classified" as a person or an individual, as you said. God is classified as God, a specific religious deity. When speaking on this deity's Son, it is also capitalized, because the Son of God is a religious figure... like the Virgin Mary. When speaking of this deity in gender-based pronouns, like He, His, Him, it is properly capitalized to denote reference to said "religious figure".

That's simply how English grammar works.

Ha! Ha! Ha! No it isn't....

The capitalisation of words associated with the Christian god is by convention only.

Watermark is right that the term god is sometimes capitalised if considered a proper noun....

Back to the Alabama Finishing School for Little Dixies.....

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-29-2006, 07:23 AM
God the Father
the Virgin Mary
the Bible
the Greek gods
Moses
Shiva
Buddha
Zeus

Your website is incorrect.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

Who to believe? Arnold, or the English Department at Purdue University? It's such a tough one, but I'll go with Purdue! Sorry Arnold, you lose.

maineman
08-29-2006, 07:50 AM
for Dixie, it's always all about "look at me"

DigitalDave
08-29-2006, 09:15 AM
I can't beleive you two are wasting this much freakin time in your lives to argue capitalization on 'he' and 'god'. Oh shit, now im wasting time...

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-29-2006, 09:39 AM
I can't beleive you two are wasting this much freakin time in your lives to argue capitalization on 'he' and 'god'. Oh shit, now im wasting time...

Hey, I've got nothing better to do than teach pinheads proper grammar. I didn't start this debate, and I am not continuing to argue the idiotic position taken by Waterhead and Arnold, I merely presented the expert opinion from Purdue University. It's entirely their choice, to continue insisting that I am wrong about something I've proven to be correct. That's the part that is so hard to believe, it's as if they just don't comprehend facts very well, and think if they keep blathering nonsense, sooner or later people will just accept what they say as the truth and ignore the facts. It's amazing to watch retards in action!

There is nothing 'subjective' about the rules of grammar, it's all fairly clear and unambiguous, and easy to comprehend, yet... for some reason... maybe because it's Dixie making the point.... they continue to argue against the facts. I can't explain the phenomenon, but it is fascinating.

AnyOldIron
08-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Who to believe? Arnold, or the English Department at Purdue University? It's such a tough one, but I'll go with Purdue! Sorry Arnold, you lose.

Follow the link fuckwit.

Don't believe the link, follow the link's references...

AnyOldIron
08-29-2006, 09:47 AM
God and Pronouns
The capitalisation of the attendant pronouns in reference to the Christian God is debatable. Whilst God is always capitalised, the rule for capitalising the attendant pronouns is hazy. Some Christian sects would have all the attendant pronouns - e.g. he, him, his, my, mine, and even thee and thine – capitalised as a traditional mark of respect to the divine, others would not, and secularists would prefer the non-capitalised forms.

1. Non-capitalised
In regards to the non-capitalised, the Cambridge Guide to English Usage (2004) states that both the Chicago Manual and the Oxford Guide to Style (2002) comment that the capitalising of these pronouns is not warrant 'in keeping with the norms of the Bible and the Book of Common Prayer' - which do not capitalise the attendant pronouns.

Conflict of Interests
Some places may require non-capitalised pronouns when talking about the divine, such as academiæ. Of this one should be aware. For a religious believer, however, this could be offensive, and thus the believer has the right to capitalise according to their conscience.

2. Capitalised
The Chicago Manual states that capitalisation is legitimate 'if you are writing for a religious readership or anyone else who might take lowercasing as a sign of disrespect.' This group may very well include the laity, priests, religious academiæ, &c. This pro-capitalisation can be seen as a symbol of affiliation: just as a nun wears a habit, a priest his robes, the capitalisation may label one inside one group and outside of another.

Prejucie and Discrimination
In the age of religious plurality and cultural literacy, all faiths have the right to be respected. The run-of-the-mill discrimination once prevalent in society towards ‘heathen’ faiths is no longer acceptable. It is the general rule to style a person in the manner they wish to be styled, within reason. Royalty is generally styled ‘His/Her Majesty’; a president, ‘Mr. President’; a professor, ‘Doctor’; &c. The same argument is applied to religion. It is best to avoid accusations of prejudice and discrimination, for they could potentially undermine the argument which one is making. One should style the divine the way that the particular religion or sect does. For example, the name of the divine is sacred, and so writing it is forbidden. Jews have circumnavigated this problem by means of omission: writing the divine name as G-d in lieu of God, the latter being considered disrespectful in the Jewish religion. So, too, with Christianity. If a Christian sect employs capitalised attendant pronouns, then so, too, should one – that is, if one is either from that sect or is writing about/researching that sect. One should also be aware, that some religions/sects would not wish a non-believer to address the divine the same way that a believer would. A sure way to avoid confusion is to ask a believer that has some authoritative position.

http://www.answers.com/topic/god-and-pronouns

AnyOldIron
08-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Hey, I've got nothing better to do than teach pinheads proper grammar.

Hey, Dixie.

You have a bad habit of building yourself a little dusthill, standing on top and declaring yourself king of the castle.... Sad little man....

See my above post...

"1. Non-capitalised
In regards to the non-capitalised, the Cambridge Guide to English Usage (2004) states that both the Chicago Manual and the Oxford Guide to Style (2002) comment that the capitalising of these pronouns is not warrant 'in keeping with the norms of the Bible and the Book of Common Prayer' - which do not capitalise the attendant pronouns. "

Through convention only.....

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-29-2006, 10:03 AM

Follow the link fuckwit.

Don't believe the link, follow the link's references...

Hello? You posted a WIKI-FUCKIN-PEDIA LINK! To refute the English Department at Purdue University, you posted a link to a user-written web encyclopedia... a "blog" in essence! I am sorry you are so profoundly retarded, you can't comprehend that a major University English department carries just a little more weight than Wikipedia, but that isn't MY problem!

And reading through your diatribe on proper Cambridge rules for capitalization, it appears my original point is made as well.

It is the general rule to style a person in the manner they wish to be styled, within reason. Royalty is generally styled ‘His/Her Majesty’; a president, ‘Mr. President’; a professor, ‘Doctor’; &c. The same argument is applied to religion. It is best to avoid accusations of prejudice and discrimination, for they could potentially undermine the argument which one is making. One should style the divine the way that the particular religion or sect does.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-29-2006, 11:23 PM
water doesn't like the standards set by Purdues English experts so he wants to change them to fit his own ideas. Now he will repeat it a thousand times and others will begin to believe he's right. He's frantically seeking to create grey areas.

Tell me, fucking moron, where do the purdue gods of the English language say that you capitilize "he"? they didn't.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-29-2006, 11:30 PM
Hey, I've got nothing better to do than teach pinheads proper grammar. I didn't start this debate, and I am not continuing to argue the idiotic position taken by Waterhead and Arnold, I merely presented the expert opinion from Purdue University. It's entirely their choice, to continue insisting that I am wrong about something I've proven to be correct. That's the part that is so hard to believe, it's as if they just don't comprehend facts very well, and think if they keep blathering nonsense, sooner or later people will just accept what they say as the truth and ignore the facts. It's amazing to watch retards in action!

There is nothing 'subjective' about the rules of grammar, it's all fairly clear and unambiguous, and easy to comprehend, yet... for some reason... maybe because it's Dixie making the point.... they continue to argue against the facts. I can't explain the phenomenon, but it is fascinating.

You believe that language is entirely clear-cut and unambigious? Clearly you know nothing about linguistics, then, and have never even begun to learn a new language. It's all different, different languages have different meaning for different words, different regions have different meaning and connotations of words even if they use the same langauge, and more importantly, it changes based on the individual. There is no god of language that sets all the rules, it's entirely disorganized, and it's why the English the King James version of the bible is so different than modern English that most people can barely even understand it. (Yet, for some odd reason, it's been idolized among the theocratic right, even though it's a crappy, old translation, and has nothing special about it).

I sometimes snicker whenever I hear Christians speak 400 year old words that only appear in the King James bible now (like "thou) simply because they're too stubborn to change translations. God never said "Thou", God spoke in Hebrew. There's nothing special about that translation, more than any other translation.

Of course, the language people use actually has a large affect on their culture... like all English speaking people seem to be somewhat more conservative than their more Latin influenced neighbors.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Hello? You posted a WIKI-FUCKIN-PEDIA LINK! To refute the English Department at Purdue University, you posted a link to a user-written web encyclopedia... a "blog" in essence! I am sorry you are so profoundly retarded, you can't comprehend that a major University English department carries just a little more weight than Wikipedia, but that isn't MY problem!

And reading through your diatribe on proper Cambridge rules for capitalization, it appears my original point is made as well.

It is the general rule to style a person in the manner they wish to be styled, within reason. Royalty is generally styled ‘His/Her Majesty’; a president, ‘Mr. President’; a professor, ‘Doctor’; &c. The same argument is applied to religion. It is best to avoid accusations of prejudice and discrimination, for they could potentially undermine the argument which one is making. One should style the divine the way that the particular religion or sect does.

I don't feel like it. Are the gods of English going to strike me with a lightning bolt now?

AnyOldIron
08-30-2006, 02:13 AM
Hello? You posted a WIKI-FUCKIN-PEDIA LINK!

No, I posted the rules from Oxford and Cambridge universities. If we were playing top trumps that would piss all over your Purdue university.

One should style the divine the way that the particular religion or sect does.

ROFLMAO!!!!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Exactly my point. It is by convention only...

You really struggle with comprehension, don't you Dixie....

Comedy gold...

AnyOldIron
08-30-2006, 02:17 AM
Of course, the language people use actually has a large affect on their culture... like all English speaking people seem to be somewhat more conservative than their more Latin influenced neighbors.

On the contrary, English is be far the most versatile language in the world, it has the largest and still growing vocabulary.

Hold this in comparison to the French language, which has an academy to limit the growth and expansion of the language, particularly the incorporation of outside words.

Damocles
08-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Capitalizing He for God is a PC thing that people do so Christians, Jews, and Muslims don't get all insulted. It's like the he/she and his/her thing you see constantly nowadays. The actual English rules say to use he when it is ambiguous, but nowadays, in order to keep from insulting Code Pink, we use he/she... or more often lately just she....

So, in order to not be "insulting" we use a capital letter where it is unnecessary...

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Hello? You posted a WIKI-FUCKIN-PEDIA LINK!

No, I posted the rules from Oxford and Cambridge universities. If we were playing top trumps that would piss all over your Purdue university.

One should style the divine the way that the particular religion or sect does.

ROFLMAO!!!!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Exactly my point. It is by convention only...

You really struggle with comprehension, don't you Dixie....

Comedy gold...

The Oxford-Cabridge rule seems to refute your argument that it is "improper" to capitalize refrences to "God." I don't have a problem comprehending that, it's in plain English. It's not "by convention only" because it is stated very clearly in the Oxford-Cambridge rules: One should style the divine the way that the particular religion or sect does. That IS the rule... nothing conventional about it, unless following Oxfor-Cambridge is "by convention" itself.

Let's be clear on what the "argument" is... You and other pinheads, have maintained it is improper to capitalize pronouns refrencing God, and I have argued that it is proper and acceptable to do so. According to Perdue English Department, as well as Oxford-Cabridge, I am correct and you are incorrect. Live with it!

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-30-2006, 10:47 AM
I don't feel like it. Are the gods of English going to strike me with a lightning bolt now?

I don't know, the argument was not whether you felt like using proper grammar, or whether you felt like it was proper grammar, it was whether or not it is acceptable and proper to capitalize God and refrences to God. You can "feel like" anything you wish, I can't do a thing about what you feel. As far as proper English grammar, I have proven you to be an absolute idiot, and it has nothing to do with your feelings. Sorry.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-30-2006, 07:58 PM
It's by convention only. It's to appease only. It's certainly not worthy of a proper label if it's only to appease the holier-than-thou.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-30-2006, 08:14 PM
It's by convention only. It's to appease only. It's certainly not worthy of a proper label if it's only to appease the holier-than-thou.

I'm sorry, but Oxford-Cambridge seems to refute you. It clearly says... One should style the divine the way that the particular religion or sect does. What part of the Oxford Cambridge Rules of English Grammar are you having problems with, Waterhead?

It IS proper to use O-C rules, isn't it?
Christians DO want God capitalized, don't they?

I don't understand your argument here... Perhaps you need to go back to "I don't feel like" using proper grammar, as your rationale for why you're not using proper grammar? I've presented you with Purdue, Arnold even posted the Oxford-Cambridge rules, both of them refute your ignorant comment about it being okay to capitalize God because he is a person. Have you really presented us with anything? I mean, other than your profound wisdom, have you given us any evidence to support your argument? Go check the AP Style-book, maybe they can help you out here... I feel really bad for ya Waterhead.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-30-2006, 08:57 PM
I don't care.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-30-2006, 08:58 PM
"Christians DO want God capitalized, don't they?"

You always capitalize "God". It's a proper noun. I don't know how many times I have to say this before it soaks through your mile-thick lead skull and hits your brain.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-31-2006, 12:16 AM
"Christians DO want God capitalized, don't they?"

You always capitalize "God". It's a proper noun. I don't know how many times I have to say this before it soaks through your mile-thick lead skull and hits your brain.

Yes, and the words "He" and "His" are also used as proper nouns, when referencing God, because God is not gender specific. The commonly used pronouns are often used in reference to God, and when they are, it is not only acceptable to capitalize them, but following in accordance with Oxford-Cambridge English grammar rules.

AnyOldIron
08-31-2006, 01:28 AM
The Oxford-Cabridge rule seems to refute your argument that it is "improper" to capitalize refrences to "God."

This is what I mean by comprehension problems.

I have never said that it is 'improper', but that it is simply a matter of convention.

It is to keep the waaah-waaah babies of religion happy. Same reason why majesty is capitalised, to engrandise Liz....

AnyOldIron
08-31-2006, 01:33 AM
The commonly used pronouns are often used in reference to God, and when they are, it is not only acceptable to capitalize them, but following in accordance with Oxford-Cambridge English grammar rules.

I've forgotten your ability to BS about stuff on the same thread...

It isn't in accordance with the Oxbridge grammar rules.

They state: "It is the general rule to style a person in the manner they wish to be styled, within reason. "

That means, once more for slow kids such as Dixie, that it is entirely a matter of convention..

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-31-2006, 06:37 AM
No, stubborn ass, what it means is, according to Oxford-Cambridge, it is not "improper" to capitalize "God" or any reference to "God," in fact, it is proper to use the form consistent with the religious sect. You want to now argue that it's simply a 'nicety' that this is done, and the thing about that is, using Oxford-Cambridge to formulate good grammar, is a 'nicety' itself, no one is required to use the rules, they are there for 'convention' only.

This is one of those arguments you two should have never gotten into, but now that you are up to your ass in 'ownership' by Dixie, you are twisting and spinning in the wind, and hope to salvage some credibility. You've abandoned the original point, that it's improper to capitalize reference to "God," because that has been proven inaccurate by your own sources. You now want to claim that it's just a formality, which typifies Oxford-Cambridge in general. This has to be the most lame attempt to win an argument, in the history of message boarding.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Ok.

Dixie - In Memoriam
09-06-2006, 12:06 AM
lol