PDA

View Full Version : Do I need antivirus

Beefy
09-18-2007, 02:44 PM
on my Ibook? Or is it already there? Please advise. Danke.

LadyT
09-18-2007, 02:45 PM
LMAO. I thought maybe you had a questionable one night stand.

Cancel 2016.2
09-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Nah... just a bit of pennycillin will clear that right up....

Cancel7
09-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Poor Beefy, mocked like this!

I would answer you seriously beefy, but I don't know the answer, sorry.

Damocles
09-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Yes, you need anti-virus.

Beefy
Poor Beefy, mocked like this!

I would answer you seriously beefy, but I don't know the answer, sorry.

I have never been so humiliated in my life. Oh the woes of being vulnerable on the vast expanse of the internets. Maybe I should use the google?

Beefy
Yes, you need anti-virus.

which one?

Damocles
09-18-2007, 02:58 PM
which one?
Just find one of the big names for the OS.

Beefy
09-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Just find one of the big names for the OS.

how?

Damocles
09-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Type in Anti-Virus into Google.

I like Nortons. Just get it for the right operating system.

Thorn
09-18-2007, 03:17 PM
I have never been so humiliated in my life. Oh the woes of being vulnerable on the vast expanse of the internets. Maybe I should use the google?

Well, you are into hot tubs! ;) Perfectly hospitable climes for all sorts of nasties!!!

Beefy
09-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, you are into hot tubs! ;) Perfectly hospitable climes for all sorts of nasties!!!

Not if you Upgrade....to a Phoenix. That's out tag-line here at the carnival. Its brutal out here. I might have to actually get a job once I get to Hawaii. That sucks.

Anyhow, I got Norton, is that a good thing?

BRUTALITOPS
09-18-2007, 04:15 PM
macs are very safe and super leet. you aren't going to have the same problems that you had on windows.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Grind, why don't you just go blow Steve Jobs.

Macs are super-fast because all you can do is stare at the opening screen. They don't run anything. They aren't meant for computing, really. Just to say "Hey, I have a MAC! Everyone come and give me a blowjob. I'm hip. Have you ever seen that commercial? The MAC guy was SOOOO much cooler than the PC guy. Hello? Hello? Someone love me..."

BRUTALITOPS
09-18-2007, 04:43 PM
macs aren't meant for computing... lol... that's why it's built off of unix, come pre installed with python, php, apache etc.. not to mention that most software is compatible now especially with the new intel architecture... you have no clue what you are talking about.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Can you get WINE to run on it?

BRUTALITOPS
09-18-2007, 04:54 PM
yes but i don't

FUCK THE POLICE
09-18-2007, 05:00 PM
It's better to use Unix centric programs on Unix operating system, but I run a lot of stuff on my computer that just can't be run by anything other than Windows. And to play games you'd either have to buy Cedega, or hack into Cedega, since DirectX obviously won't run native on a linux system. OpenGL will, but Microsoft put billions behind DirectX (at a time whenever it sucked, and OpenGL was by far a better interface) to catch up to OpenGL, apparently just so that they could have exclusive rights to it, which would prevent most games from running on other operating systems.

Still, Linux should be exactly the same thing as modern macs. You even have the same kind of processors as PC's now. This, ironically, makes the MAC IBM compatible, and therefore a PC.

BRUTALITOPS
09-18-2007, 05:04 PM
dude... pc gaming is for losers. go back to consoles.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-18-2007, 05:05 PM
dude... pc gaming is for losers. go back to consoles.

BACK to consoles?

Console gaming is for idiots.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-18-2007, 05:13 PM
One of the biggest reasons I love PC's is because I pirate all my games, which saves me hundreds a year.

Actually, that's probably one of the reasons PC gaming isn't as big as it used to be.

Damocles
09-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Macs are only safer because they are only a small section of the market, it stands to reason that if 95% of the market is Windows most hackers and viruses would be designed for Windows. However, there are some nasty worms and viruses out there designed for the Mac.

It is a myth that you will never have problems with Macs, I used to make about 10% of my money from repairing Macs when I used to run that business. Considering their share of market it is ridiculous to say that they have no problems. Unix doesn't make them "better" just more annoying. Thankfully OSX was designed to run more like Windows to begin with. Imagine being surpassed by the company who copied you to begin with.....

BRUTALITOPS
09-18-2007, 06:03 PM
i didn't say there would never be problems but they are considerably safer. Also, I would reason that even if it was 95% of the market share, it would still be safer and better than garbage windows.

Besides, vista has backdoors built in so the nsa can access your comp. I'm staying away from that

uscitizen
09-18-2007, 06:14 PM
yeah Grind why do you think gates got off the hook on the anti trust suit....

Beefy
09-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Alls I know is that I'm way, way happier with the speed, and the lack of glitches on this thing. Also the applications for music and personal shit is way better, and I have a computer for the personal shit. Music, pictures, movies, and the ability to do everything else I would do with Windows, but without all the errors and bullshit.

For me, this is the best computer I've ever owned, and I've owned about 7 or 8.

My dumb ass is happy.

BRUTALITOPS
09-19-2007, 07:33 AM
welcome to the club mbl. You join me, ib1 and adamweinberg as being a super cool computer user that everyone is jealous of.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Alls I know is that I'm way, way happier with the speed, and the lack of glitches on this thing. Also the applications for music and personal shit is way better, and I have a computer for the personal shit. Music, pictures, movies, and the ability to do everything else I would do with Windows, but without all the errors and bullshit.

For me, this is the best computer I've ever owned, and I've owned about 7 or 8.

My dumb ass is happy.

The speed is because you got a new processer, dumb ass.

The lack of glitches is because it's a new computer and you haven't had enough time to pick up bugs, and also because you can only run 2-3 programs.

It's called the placebo effect, dumb ass. Macs aren't better. Macs only SEEM better because you believe they're "different" and "better", not because they actually are. It's like taking an M&M and believing it to be Cocaine.

There's literally nothing different in the architecture in a MAC - it's impossible for it to run better. If I ran Linux on my PC it would be the exact same thing as yours. In fact, I could pirate OSX off the internet and run it on this PC. There's nothing special about a MAC actual hardware and OS besides the 50% mark-up.

And Vista is by far the most stable operating system I've ever run on. I haven't even gotten any viruses. My programs never randomly crash. My dumb ass is happy.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 08:36 AM
welcome to the club mbl. You join me, ib1 and adamweinberg as being a super cool computer user that everyone is jealous of.

I could do the same thing by buying a PC from Dell, installing OSX on it, and burning 1000 dollars after the fact.

uscitizen
09-19-2007, 08:48 AM
And there is that liberal image of MAC owners ....
You now habve to buy a Volvo.
:)

Damocles
09-19-2007, 09:16 AM
LOL. I use both. And have both integrated in my network at home.

And no, none of it is Vista. I never, ever, use a product by Microsoft before SR2.

uscitizen
09-19-2007, 09:40 AM

And no, none of it is Vista. I never, ever, use a product by Microsoft before SR2.

Ohh well then you will not remember the fantastic advances of DOS 3.1...

Damocles
09-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Ohh well then you will not remember the fantastic advances of DOS 3.1...
Are you kidding. I began computing on an Apple IIe... Of course I remember DOS.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 09:49 AM

You're just saying that because of XP. Have you ever said that before XP? No. Listen, they spent about a year on XP. They spent 6 on Vista. Vista has all the improvements of XP and more. You're probably putting you're computer at risk by refusing to upgrade.

Damocles
09-19-2007, 09:50 AM
You're just saying that because of XP. Have you ever said that before XP? No. Listen, they spent about a year on XP. They spent 6 on Vista. Vista has all the improvements of XP and more. You're probably putting you're computer at risk by refusing to upgrade.
Are you kidding? I've been microsoft certified since 1999, and I have said this since I started installing the product on machines I built.

Do not buy any microsoft product until SR2. It has nothing to do with how solid it runs and everything to do with the fact that they plug most of the security holes by then.

BTW - XP is a great product, one of the best they ever put out. Vista is cool but has some annoying habits... too many warning windows for instance.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 09:51 AM
SR2?

In 5 years? Why would a buy an operating system at the point that the next one's just about to come out?

uscitizen
09-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Are you kidding. I began computing on an Apple IIe... Of course I remember DOS.

I began computing in 74....
Actually I was into electromechanical computing before that.
Relay type of telecommunications ewuipment that kept track of long distance calls and punched a paper tape of the call for billing purposes.

I also designed custom interface boards and software for the 2E. and wrote machine language code because the applesoft was too slow.

FUCK THE POLICE
There have only ever been 2 Microsoft products that ever even had service packs, Damo. Both of these were rushed to market. Obviously there'd be big fixes in them.

Damocles
SR2?

In 5 years? Why would a buy an operating system at the point that the next one's just about to come out?
SR2 never takes 5 years. SR2 will be coming out within the next six months. You seem to know nothing about Microsoft and updates.

Damocles
09-19-2007, 09:53 AM
There have only ever been 2 Microsoft products that ever even had service packs, Damo. Both of these were rushed to market. Obviously there'd be big fixes in them.
LOL. You are now mixing Service Packs with Serive Releases? Go away, you have no idea what you are talking about.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 09:58 AM
LOL. You are now mixing Service Packs with Serive Releases? Go away, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Apparently google doesn't either:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=mo1&q=%22SR2%22+vista&btnG=Search

It has no mention of "service release" for Vista. It certainly has no mention of a "Serive release" Go away dumbass.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 09:59 AM
SR2 never takes 5 years. SR2 will be coming out within the next six months. You seem to know nothing about Microsoft and updates.

Well you CLEARLY don't. Get a new job, you know nothing about computers.

Cancel 2016.2
09-19-2007, 10:00 AM
The first computer I ever wrote a program on was a PET computer. Copied the program onto cassette tapes. Took about an hour per 100 lines of code to record. fun stuff.

First computer I ever bought was the almighty Commodore 64. :)

Cancel 2016.2
09-19-2007, 10:03 AM

yeah... which is why he has a website and you do not? Which is why he does it for a living, while you sit in your parents basement jerking off?

Water... you are young, which means you are not going to know as much as us on certain topics. Damo knows more by far with regards to computers than you currently do. As does US. But if it makes you feel better, you know more than I do with regards to computers. I am still searching for the "any" key.

Damocles
09-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Apparently google doesn't either:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=mo1&q=%22SR2%22+vista&btnG=Search

It has no mention of "service release" for Vista. It certainly has no mention of a "Serive release" Go away dumbass.
Service releases are simply the next publication. During the period between when the first releases are sold and the second burn and release of the software most of the holes in the security of their software are plugged and fixed with updates (which you run in your background). However each of these holes are "discovered" when they are exploited and fixed after the fact. I prefer to have most of them plugged then to purchase the software.

Now, whether you want to believe me or not, the SR2 will be out soon, and I will use Vista at that time.

Damocles
09-19-2007, 10:07 AM
You really do spout off on topics you know little about. You get Vista, like it, and then think you are an expert? Go away, or I'll taunt you a second time.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 10:08 AM
OSR2...

Oh! Sorry. Why didn't you just say the common term "OSR2"? I've never even bothered to look up what the words meant, just that it was an improved version of windows.

uscitizen
09-19-2007, 10:09 AM
The first computer I ever wrote a program on was a PET computer. Copied the program onto cassette tapes. Took about an hour per 100 lines of code to record. fun stuff.

First computer I ever bought was the almighty Commodore 64. :)

My first one to buy was a Vic 20...
Then an Osborne CPM machine.

Damocles
09-19-2007, 10:10 AM
OSR2...

Oh! Sorry. Why didn't you just say the common term "OSR2"? I've never even bothered to look up what the words meant, just that it was an improved version of windows.
Okay... :D

Damocles
09-19-2007, 10:10 AM
OSR2...

Because nobody I know uses the "common term", they say SR2.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 10:12 AM
How am I supposed to get "Operating system service release 2" out of "Service release 2"? Answer me that.

Damo, I'm going to be very happy whenever you've waited all of this time for a crappy OSR2 to come out and nothing has improved. Then I'm going to download the fixes. Hopefully you're XP computer won't be totally screwed by then, and you won't have to do an entire wipe of the hard drive.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 10:14 AM
I love you Damo.

Damocles
09-19-2007, 10:28 AM
How am I supposed to get "Operating system service release 2" out of "Service release 2"? Answer me that.

Damo, I'm going to be very happy whenever you've waited all of this time for a crappy OSR2 to come out and nothing has improved. Then I'm going to download the fixes. Hopefully you're XP computer won't be totally screwed by then, and you won't have to do an entire wipe of the hard drive.
LOL. My XPs are doing fine, and SR2 will be out soon.

First.

I was speaking of the Operating System. When it does come out it will be marked "SR2", like it has always been. People use "SR2", nobody says "OSR2", first of all because the term works with any of their software, not just Operating Systems.

Each version of office also has SR2, and so forth. They are also marked SR2 on the CD you purchase if you get SR2.

Second.

I do not buy any of their software, for my own computers, until the SR2 is out it saves problems.

OrnotBitwise
09-19-2007, 10:38 AM
which one?
I use Norton (Symantec). For a Mac it's by far the best, in my opinion.

OrnotBitwise
09-19-2007, 10:39 AM
I love you Damo.No foot tapping in the stalls you two.

bob
09-19-2007, 11:06 AM
i see people recomending symantec (norton) vary good AV... maybe take a look at AVG antivirus or AVAST! antivirus, they are free and work quite well

bob
09-19-2007, 11:07 AM
i see people recomending symantec (norton) vary good AV... maybe take a look at AVG antivirus or AVAST! antivirus, they are free and work quite well

opps ... i am not sure that they support MAC's

BRUTALITOPS
09-19-2007, 11:09 AM
lol i LOVE IT when watermark spaz's out especially when he doesn't have a clue about what he's saying.

bob
09-19-2007, 11:15 AM
BACK to consoles?

Console gaming is for idiots.

F U... pc gaming is for the rich and uncompetitive gamers.

consoles everyone is on the same harware. makes a big diffrence

bob
09-19-2007, 11:19 AM
i didn't say there would never be problems but they are considerably safer. Also, I would reason that even if it was 95% of the market share, it would still be safer and better than garbage windows.

Besides, vista has backdoors built in so the nsa can access your comp. I'm staying away from that

come on now.. you comparing backdoors now... osx is bulilt on a unix platform, just as many backdoors as windows...

damo is right

why would someone write virus for a mac ? it would be a waste of time, when writen for windows they know they will get it on many more systems.

uscitizen
09-19-2007, 11:37 AM
One reason not to use the default windows mail system nor their browser. Helps a lot with avoiding virius.

I also use corporate Symantec antivirus and firewalls.

I have had one virius in 10 years or so. And it was passed on to me by some internal IT genusies....The I love you one....

I was wondering for a bit there if the military was testing their gay bomb.

Actually the first guy to send it to me was a devout apple user....hmmm

bob
09-19-2007, 11:47 AM
One reason not to use the default windows mail system nor their browser. Helps a lot with avoiding virius.

I also use corporate Symantec antivirus and firewalls.

I have had one virius in 10 years or so. And it was passed on to me by some internal IT genusies....The I love you one....

I was wondering for a bit there if the military was testing their gay bomb.

Actually the first guy to send it to me was a devout apple user....hmmm

LOL..

the good ole iloveyou virus... we got hit by that it sucked.

i havent had a mojor outbrake since then.

we use symantec corp. aswell works great, i also use symantec web security and mail security, all work vary well, but the best way to protec a windows enviroment is using group policy and locking down systems.

another thing i do here incase of virus infections is imigeing, some one gets infected somehow, i just reimige their pc, takes about 20 min and they are where they used to be... no fuss, and no loss

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 01:03 PM
F U... pc gaming is for the rich and uncompetitive gamers.

consoles everyone is on the same harware. makes a big diffrence

OK. Console gamers aren't stupid then. They're poor. Thanks for clarifying.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 01:04 PM
:D

bob
09-19-2007, 01:56 PM
OK. Console gamers aren't stupid then. They're poor. Thanks for clarifying.

i never said they were poor... how could a console be poor ?

cheap ? maybe. but not realy.

uscitizen
09-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Heck a decent PC can be had for not very much more than an Xbox and they dont usually catch on fire.

bob
09-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Heck a decent PC can be had for not very much more than an Xbox and they dont usually catch on fire.

i never heard of an xbox starting on fire... they had a few issues with over heating where some wire coating burned and made some smoke, basicly from people being dumb... putting em in a small enclosed space with no room to breath.

second yes you could buy a pc for around the same price as a xbox, the thing is though the people who shell out the big $$ will have a advantage over the the people spent a minniaml amout on their pc hardware.

gaming on an xbox is far more fun the on a pc these days.

dont get me wrong i like gaming on pc's but i would rather game on a console

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 04:32 PM
i never said they were poor... how could a console be poor ?

cheap ? maybe. but not realy.

:D

Well, anyway. I just like the added sophistication of computer games. I don't really upgrade my computer often but I just turn the graphics down. Graphics don't bother me. Also, if I got a 360, I wouldn't be able to pirate the games very easily.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 04:36 PM
i never heard of an xbox starting on fire... they had a few issues with over heating where some wire coating burned and made some smoke, basicly from people being dumb... putting em in a small enclosed space with no room to breath.

second yes you could buy a pc for around the same price as a xbox, the thing is though the people who shell out the big $$ will have a advantage over the the people spent a minniaml amout on their pc hardware.

gaming on an xbox is far more fun the on a pc these days.

dont get me wrong i like gaming on pc's but i would rather game on a console

He's talking about those sensationilist reports of things lighting on fire. It's really an exageration - sometimes XBox's will overheat, but I've never heard about one "lighting on fire.

A PC for the same price as an XBox wouldn't be worth playing games on. But honestly, you're going to need a PC anyway. And upgrading a normal PC from "surfing the internet" standards to basic gaming standards costs about as much as an XBox 360 anyway. People who have an super-expensive PC really don't have much more than better graphics - if you don't know how to lower the setting to play a PC game, you're not smart enough for us. Also, PC games are cheaper. Consoles make up for the fact that they sell the base hardware at a loss by upping the price of the games.

"Far more fun"? Howso? I really like PC games, mostly because they don't automatically assume you're an idiot while you play them.

Beefy
09-19-2007, 05:52 PM
The speed is because you got a new processer, dumb ass.

The lack of glitches is because it's a new computer and you haven't had enough time to pick up bugs, and also because you can only run 2-3 programs.

It's called the placebo effect, dumb ass. Macs aren't better. Macs only SEEM better because you believe they're "different" and "better", not because they actually are. It's like taking an M&M and believing it to be Cocaine.

There's literally nothing different in the architecture in a MAC - it's impossible for it to run better. If I ran Linux on my PC it would be the exact same thing as yours. In fact, I could pirate OSX off the internet and run it on this PC. There's nothing special about a MAC actual hardware and OS besides the 50% mark-up.

And Vista is by far the most stable operating system I've ever run on. I haven't even gotten any viruses. My programs never randomly crash. My dumb ass is happy.

Why you hatin' all over my ass fool? I like my goddamned computer. Get it? I LIKE my MOTHERFUCKIN COMPUTER! And I've never LIKED any computer BEFORE. So save your douchebag technobabble for someone who gives a shit.

Anyhow. How's it goin?

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Why you hatin' all over my ass fool? I like my goddamned computer. Get it? I LIKE my MOTHERFUCKIN COMPUTER! And I've never LIKED any computer BEFORE. So save your douchebag technobabble for someone who gives a shit.

Anyhow. How's it goin?

It's goin pretty good, assface.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Sometimes the placebo effect cures cancer...

Better not to burst your bubble, I guess.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Hey, I was wondering, I saw this cute girl the other day. How do I talk to her and convince her that we're meant to be together?

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 05:58 PM
What about this pickup line:

"You got teh nice rack, bitch"

Maybe she likes "gangster" terminology?

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Hey bitch, I gotta lvl 19 Undead Warlock with 100 mining school and a helmet of defnse, ho.

Beefy
09-19-2007, 06:07 PM
For Chrissakes, calm down. Jesus. Lose your virginity already. You're all hopped up. And my computer is better than yours. Deal with it fucknuts.

So, how's the weather down there? I hear its humid this time of year.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Just got ran over by a hurricane. Odd.

Now it's snowing, back to normal.

How's it over in California? Get many "Cyclones"?

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 06:10 PM
How am I supposed to lose my virginity without telling girls about my aw3SuM wArLoCK?

Beefy
09-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Just got ran over by a hurricane. Odd.

Now it's snowing, back to normal.

How's it over in California? Get many "Cyclones"?

I'm in Washington right now. Its nice. But I've had it with these cockholes who want to buy hot tubs but you have to squeeze it out of them.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm in Washington right now. Its nice. But I've had it with these cockholes who want to buy hot tubs but you have to squeeze it out of them.

My band director is fond of saying "And to think! Most people have to PAY for a steambath!" whenever we go outside to march.

And you sell them. You sligh bastard, you.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 06:17 PM
I was formerly of the food preperation business.

Then I told my boss one day "Fuck you, I quit".

Any chance of me ever getting a job again?

Beefy
09-19-2007, 06:22 PM
I was formerly of the food preperation business.

Then I told my boss one day "Fuck you, I quit".

Any chance of me ever getting a job again?

Doubtful. You should just start panhandling, it pays better than working.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Are you serious :(

Beefy
09-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Are you serious :(

No. I'm almost never serious.

Just earn a couple of grand and get the fuck out the South. Move somewhere where there's a semblance of economic activity, and you'll do marginally okay.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 06:27 PM
I already have a couple of grand in my bank account, and I have a car with 150,000 miles on it. How far will that get me?

I am, unfortunately, attached by tedious things such as college, family, and the fact that I couldn't afford an apartment at all.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Seriously, will anyone higher you after a job record like that? Anyone?

FUCK THE POLICE
09-19-2007, 06:28 PM
I didn't actually tell the head manager it. Just one of her annoying underlings. And she was black.

Beefy
09-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Stop being an idiot. Thas the first step.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-20-2007, 12:54 AM
Stop being an idiot. Thas the first step.

OK. That doesn't help much, being that I'm not an idiot.

Next?

OrnotBitwise
09-20-2007, 12:55 AM
SR2?

Because that's how long it takes for them to iron the wrinkles out.

Never be an "early adopter" of anything. I'm serious. As a developer, I try to learn the changes in the upcoming releases as early as possible, naturally. That's just the way the profession works, however. As a user, I follow Damo's wisdom.

Realistically, who really needs to have the latest and greatest OS? I certainly don't and I have better reason than most. If I have to install an initial release -- even an Apple release -- I always do it on a junk computer I don't really care about.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-20-2007, 12:59 AM
Just "expert" elitism. You don't know any more than the rest of us, you just make up stuff to make yourself seem smarter. :D

I'm not going to pay 200 dollars for XP to install on this computer because of sensationalist paranoia. It runs fine.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-20-2007, 01:00 AM
Anyway - XP is OOOOGGGLLYYYY. THE OOOOOGGGGGGLLLLIIIIESSST operating system since the last truly Macintosh Mac OS.

OrnotBitwise
09-20-2007, 01:02 AM
Macs are only safer because they are only a small section of the market, it stands to reason that if 95% of the market is Windows most hackers and viruses would be designed for Windows. However, there are some nasty worms and viruses out there designed for the Mac.

It is a myth that you will never have problems with Macs, I used to make about 10% of my money from repairing Macs when I used to run that business. Considering their share of market it is ridiculous to say that they have no problems. Unix doesn't make them "better" just more annoying. Thankfully OSX was designed to run more like Windows to begin with. Imagine being surpassed by the company who copied you to begin with.....I'm going to disagree . . . but only to the degree of a quibble. A minor quibble, at that.

The Mac OS is intrinsically *slightly* less vulnerable to malicious exploits. It hasn't been cobbled together from bits of badly documented purchased code to quite the same extent as Windows. It's a very small advantage but it does exist.

Other than that, I agree with you entirely. :)

FUCK THE POLICE
09-20-2007, 01:06 AM
In Vista they were actually kind of worried about all the unnecessary re-coding that was being done...

They're replacing years and years of tested code with new stuff for little reason.

OrnotBitwise
09-20-2007, 01:09 AM
My first one to buy was a Vic 20...
Then an Osborne CPM machine.Well, I'll join the Old Fart parade. I had a Vic 20. Also a Pet. I not only had a Commodore 64, I took one apart just for the . . . er, instructional value.

Here's a fun fact for y'all: when the Stanford superconducting particle accelerator was first run, the steering magnets were controlled by a battery of several hundred highly modified C64's. An early application of parallel processing.

OrnotBitwise
09-20-2007, 01:13 AM
opps ... i am not sure that they support MAC'sThey do. I have NAV on all my Macs.

uscitizen
09-20-2007, 07:09 AM
Well, I'll join the Old Fart parade. I had a Vic 20. Also a Pet. I not only had a Commodore 64, I took one apart just for the . . . er, instructional value.

Here's a fun fact for y'all: when the Stanford superconducting particle accelerator was first run, the steering magnets were controlled by a battery of several hundred highly modified C64's. An early application of parallel processing.

Interesting how we have gone back to the serial bus for perhipherals ?

Damocles
09-20-2007, 08:17 AM
H2O, it is a sure bet that all women will swoon as you talk about how you got that triple roll on the 20 side dice that you were going for and give them step by step descriptions of your last Shadowland game, including word for word descriptions of conversations with the GM.

They love that stuff, you'll get laid in no time.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-20-2007, 10:00 AM
It's pretty sad that I understood all of that, Damo.

bob
09-20-2007, 10:14 AM
He's talking about those sensationilist reports of things lighting on fire. It's really an exageration - sometimes XBox's will overheat, but I've never heard about one "lighting on fire.

A PC for the same price as an XBox wouldn't be worth playing games on. But honestly, you're going to need a PC anyway. And upgrading a normal PC from "surfing the internet" standards to basic gaming standards costs about as much as an XBox 360 anyway. People who have an super-expensive PC really don't have much more than better graphics - if you don't know how to lower the setting to play a PC game, you're not smart enough for us. Also, PC games are cheaper. Consoles make up for the fact that they sell the base hardware at a loss by upping the price of the games.

"Far more fun"? Howso? I really like PC games, mostly because they don't automatically assume you're an idiot while you play them.

will i dissagree with you , people who do put more $ into their pc do have an advantage over people who dont, and no i am not talking about graphics, faster cpus, more memory better NICs you name it, it dose make a differance. as for an xbox or console everyone is limited to the same hardware, witch in the end makes it more even in terms of having an advantage or dissadvantage, on a console its about you skill not you bank roll or what you know about pc hardware and software. Plus on a pc people are able to minipulate many more aspects of the game enviroment, unlike a counsloe, not that it cant be done but far less likely to happen.

counsole dont assume that anyone is an idiot anymore then a pc.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-20-2007, 10:18 AM
:bleh:

Cancel7
09-20-2007, 12:17 PM
H2O, it is a sure bet that all women will swoon as you talk about how you got that triple roll on the 20 side dice that you were going for and give them step by step descriptions of your last Shadowland game, including word for word descriptions of conversations with the GM.

They love that stuff, you'll get laid in no time.

What?

You better hang onto the woman you got man.

Damocles
09-20-2007, 12:57 PM
What?

You better hang onto the woman you got man.
sHHHHH! I'm giving him "good" advice!