Damocles
08-25-2006, 07:44 AM
damo you still a fireman?Yep.

robdastud
08-25-2006, 07:46 AM
do you ever drive the truck?

leaningright
08-25-2006, 07:46 AM
I usually replace starters for around $50-$70....do the work myself though. Takes all of about 30 minutes. Doing a brake job on the Dodge truck this weekend.

BTW rob, if you Jetta is losing antifreeze there must be some other problems. I'd check it out before it left me stranded again.

leaningright
08-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Hey Damo, we put on a fake accident show for the kids in our two country area yesterday. Drunk driving, 3 dead, 3 injured (two seriously) and one going to jail. We had the scene set and all emergency vehicles responded. Even had a hearse come pick the dead actors up. After they saw the rescue efforts we gave a short lecture on drinking and driving and the importance of wearing safety belts. It went off really well.

Damocles
08-25-2006, 07:59 AM
do you ever drive the truck?
Of course I do.

uscitizen
08-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Yep.

Of course Damo it is a VW and at a dealer, but still high to me.

robdastud
08-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Of course I do.

do you need a special license??

Damocles
08-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Hey Damo, we put on a fake accident show for the kids in our two country area yesterday. Drunk driving, 3 dead, 3 injured (two seriously) and one going to jail. We had the scene set and all emergency vehicles responded. Even had a hearse come pick the dead actors up. After they saw the rescue efforts we gave a short lecture on drinking and driving and the importance of wearing safety belts. It went off really well.
Yeah, I like the community things... They are fun as heck.

Damocles
08-25-2006, 08:44 AM
do you need a special license??
No. Volunteers do not have to have a commercial license to drive the trucks. It is exempted specifically for volunteers...

leaningright
08-25-2006, 09:07 AM
No. Volunteers do not have to have a commercial license to drive the trucks. It is exempted specifically for volunteers...

We don't have to have a special license but for insurance purposes we go through a state administered driving test. Not a hard thing but you do have to give up a couple of hours on a Saturday. In emergency situations though, several who haven't been through the course drive the trucks. It just depends on who is available.

Jarod
08-25-2006, 09:08 AM
A starter should not run that much. Who would you go to the dealor for that knida work?

uscitizen
08-25-2006, 09:10 AM
I usually replace starters for around $50-$70....do the work myself though. Takes all of about 30 minutes. Doing a brake job on the Dodge truck this weekend.

BTW rob, if you Jetta is losing antifreeze there must be some other problems. I'd check it out before it left me stranded again.

Leaning, don't take a job changing the starter on a 93 town car with 4.6. A real pain in the knuckles.

leaningright
08-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Leaning, don't take a job changing the starter on a 93 town car with 4.6. A real pain in the knuckles.

Haha, been there on a couple of rigs. If they are mine I keep thinking of the hundreds of dollars of labor I am saving and if I'm just helping a friend, I keep reminding him/her of the same thing. Some can be a real pain. An old Chevy Malibu comes to mind.

uscitizen
08-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Yeah leaning, it seems like that the more accessable a part on a car is the higher it's reliability factor is :)

TRGLDTE
08-25-2006, 09:39 AM
The starter is probably in some idiot location where you have to drop the tranny to replace it or something drastic. Anyone remember the GM midisze cars with the transverse mounted engines that required that the motor mounts be loosened and the car rolled forward to rotate the engine for access to the back side? Brilliant!

Sir Evil
08-25-2006, 01:13 PM
The starter is probably in some idiot location where you have to drop the tranny to replace it or something drastic. Anyone remember the GM midisze cars with the transverse mounted engines that required that the motor mounts be loosened and the car rolled forward to rotate the engine for access to the back side? Brilliant!

Some of the late 80's Ford probe's required removal of the passenger side front wheel, and then removal of the axle to replace the alternator. It's a good way of generating more business back to the dealers.

Owning any foreign car it wall almost always cost more for parts. The price for this here starter seems real steep but no surprise either if it was repaired by other then the owner.

bob
08-25-2006, 01:15 PM
540... OMG.. you got ripped off... sorry for being blunt... did they change you blinker fluid too ?

Sir Evil
08-25-2006, 01:33 PM
540... OMG.. you got ripped off... sorry for being blunt... did they change you blinker fluid too ?

Well given the costs per hour the mechanics get these days it will all be dependant on book hours for the job. I'm 10 years removed from the business but in that time it was a charge of $60 per. hour labor bringing the book total to approx. 9hrs. So in essence I would have to think he should of had the flux capicator changed as well! :p

bob
08-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Well given the costs per hour the mechanics get these days it will all be dependant on book hours for the job. I'm 10 years removed from the business but in that time it was a charge of $60 per. hour labor bringing the book total to approx. 9hrs. So in essence I would have to think he should of had the flux capicator changed as well! :p

maybe a canuooter valve while there at it...:cof1:

Sir Evil
08-25-2006, 01:38 PM
maybe a canuooter valve while there at it...:cof1:

LOL, I must be too far removed from it, I have yet to know that part myself!

bob
08-25-2006, 01:41 PM
LOL, I must be too far removed from it, I have yet to know that part myself!

ya mee too...:clink: