PDA

View Full Version : PC Help

klaatu
08-25-2006, 06:56 AM
Ok ... Ive been racking my brains out over this one for a couple of weeks and I havnet found the solution.

A couple of weeks ago I was reading about a security patch that Microsoft was releasing for Serv Pack 2 .. well I never upgraded to 2 because I have a ton of third party security software along with solid firewall protection. I decided what the hell .... 2 has been out for a long time now and I fgured all the bugs were worked out so I turned on my auto update and let it rip .... WHAT A MISTAKE!! 2 was never able to download because it did not recognize my product key as a valid ... it is.
So I said well the hell with it. All of a sudden something funny started to happen ... my PC would randomly crash... not the kind of crash that freezes your PC up .. it would crash and reboot .. and this would take place whenver I was on the Internet and I try to minimze, maximize or close my browser....... not all the time ...once , twice or maybe three times during the day... and I dont get an error report.
A few days later I get this new letter in my e-mail from ZDnet saying that Microsoft is going to release a patch for the patch they recently released for serv. pack 2 .. because it causing PC's to crash ... PC's that are using XP with Serv. pack 1. Well lo and behold ..thats me! So.. I went ahead and dowloaded that patch .. and gues what? The patch said I must be running Serv. Pack 1 for the patch to work. I said to myself .. what! I have serv. pack 1 ... well when I checked to see what version Windows I have.. it is no longer service pack 1!! I tried re download service pack 1 ....no longer takes it.. because of the product key.
Now Ive done a lot of things to make sure it is this patch thats has caused my problems ...
I removed some essential hardware like my RAM, Video and sound cards.. cleaned them up and reseated. I cleaned out my registry..., cleaned out my PC.. the PC is running fantastic... its as smooth as it was the day I built it.... except for this problem of random crashing and rebooting ... any idea's?

uscitizen
08-25-2006, 07:10 AM
I also use several layers of firewall and VPN type of software that is required for access to my clients systems. They had to customixe a version of SP2 to work with their custom security software. I got sp2 from htme and it is ok, but I hear horror stories about those with the std sp2 package. I work Unix and am not sure what the heck is wtrong wigh the std sp2. I just keep the whole danged thing backed up on DVD's for a possible, no make that probable reload in the future .
Wish I could help, but I struggle with winders problems.
Of course I sometimes have to contact SUN on Unix problems as well :)

Brent
08-25-2006, 10:53 AM
Random crashing /rebooting is normally a sign of a failing power supply.

In your case, it's a software issue.

honorknght
08-25-2006, 11:22 AM
I doubt its hardware, if you still have the original windows cd (NOT THE RECOVERY DISK AS THAT MAY WIPE YOUR MACHINE)

****MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR ORIGINAL PRODUCT KEY****
then:
1. Boot to the windows CD
2. go through until it says "repair windows"
3. At the first "repair windows" choose install a new copy of windows(the first repair is the recovery console and would take command line work that we don't really need to do unless you're a tech yourself)
4. it will search for versions of windows on the machine
*******IF IT DOES NOT FIND WINDOWS, DO NOT INSTALL A NEW COPY****
5. At this point it should say "there is a previous version of windows installed, would you like to repair it?" Choose to repair it.
It should go through like it is a new installput windows back to the way it was when you first got the computer.
!*!*!*!!*!*! AT NO TIME, under any circumstance choose to "FORMAT", read everything carefully (except maybe the EULA)!*!!*!*!*!

This will basically rewrite your OS files, keeping all of your data and programs intact and usable

**you may have to reactivate windows, and the original product key might not work, however if you call the number at the activation screen and explain what has happened they WILL activate windows for you**

After you're back in windows run all of the updates from Windows/Microsoft Update, that should install them all in the correct order.

Sir Evil
08-25-2006, 11:25 AM
I removed some essential hardware like my RAM, Video and sound cards.. cleaned them up and reseated. I cleaned out my registry..., cleaned out my PC.. the PC is running fantastic... its as smooth as it was the day I built it.... except for this problem of random crashing and rebooting ... any idea's?

Is the machine rebooting itself after crashoing on a consistent basis? if so the poster above has a point, I have seen power supply porblems cause this.

Also all the cleaning out, and defragging will only go so far. As much as people hate the idea reformatting is a need sometimes. I do a fresh install of windows at least once a year regardless of the way the pc is running.

Anyways this problem has many possible solutions, a systematic elimination process is the best. Having good spare parts is always helpful as well to eliminate things such as memory or video is not the culprit.

bob
08-25-2006, 01:12 PM
what errors do you get if you get any ?

have you looked at event viewer... any warnings or errors corisopnding with the time of the crash's

klaatu
08-25-2006, 01:57 PM
A thanks to everyone for their idea's .. I'll keep you updated ....

Sir Evil
08-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Hey klot, that's one of the good things about these board, never gonna know who can help out. Keep posting, and I am sure some here will help ya get it right!

klaatu
08-31-2006, 08:10 AM
I thought I would just pass this along to those who contributed to this thread ...

Well my problem disappeared .... and it coincided with a new version of Pest Patrol(a spyware removal software) ... I noticed the Pest Patrol picked up 3 trojans that my other spyware removal software didnt catch ... so I am pretty sure that this was the problem.

Strange.. and it took quite a bit a time to resolve. But it just goes to show ... having a few different spyware detecting software pays off ...
I would not completely trust the freebies out there.... run a couple of freebies and dish out some dough for a good one .. like Pest Patrol.

microsoft has a new Beta Version ..Defender ... that you can download for free ... its getting real good reviews.

"A squared" is great for trojans .... they have a free version.. try it out ...

Damocles
08-31-2006, 08:11 AM
I always recommend using two specific payed for ones.. Counterspy and Spy Sweeper... They overlap and get the ones the other misses...

Sir Evil
08-31-2006, 08:24 AM
As Daoms suggested, multible spyware software is a good idea. Believe it or not there is a certain amount of spyware that slips by these softwares, it's actually permitted!

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-31-2006, 08:40 AM
You should buy a Mac and throw your PC in the dumpster! :)

klaatu
08-31-2006, 11:33 AM
You should buy a Mac and throw your PC in the dumpster! :)

This is on my down the road agenda .... once I sell the house and move back up north ...