PDA

View Full Version : Wal Mart Saves Lives

toby
08-24-2006, 10:28 AM
And promotes peace in the world.

>Between 1990 and 2002 more than 174 million people escaped poverty in China, about 1.2 million per month.[1] With an estimated $23 billion in Chinese exports in 2005 (out of a total of $713 billion in manufacturing exports),[2] Wal-Mart might well be single-handedly responsible for bringing about 38,000 people out of poverty in China each month, about 460,000 per year.

>Even without considering the $263 billion in consumer savings that Wal-Mart provides for low-income Americans, or the millions lifted out of poverty by Wal-Mart in other developing nations, it is unlikely that there is any single organization on the planet that alleviates poverty so effectively for so many people.[5] Moreover, insofar as China's rapid manufacturing growth has been associated with a decline in its status as a global arms dealer, Wal-Mart has also done more than its share in contributing to global peace.[6]

http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=082206D

IHateGovernment
08-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Wal-mart does positive things. So does the government of Iran. Overall however I have a negative opinion of Wal-mart and refuse to shop there.

toby
08-24-2006, 10:55 AM
I don't like to shop at the mart, but they do a lot a good for a lot of people.

IHateGovernment
08-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Not their employees.

toby
08-24-2006, 11:01 AM
I know a few who work there and they are quite happy. And no ones makes anyone work there.

IHateGovernment
08-24-2006, 11:13 AM
My wife used to work there. They used to make her work off the clock and have unpaid overtime.

You're right Toby people don't have to work there and I don't have to contribute any money to their crooked business model so I don't.

toby
08-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Your wife should have reported them to the state labor board, in most states it is illegal to require someone to work off the clock. Sue them.

IHateGovernment
08-24-2006, 11:25 AM
I suppose she should have but it would probably have done little good. Wal-mart has the best lawyers. Its a David and Goliath thing. If you live in a town thats in the middle of nowhere you can eat their shit or go on welfare. In a lot of places Wal-Mart employees the majority of job positions.

If you live in a more populous area you have more choice. I'm willing to bet that the most egregious stores are ones that have a virtual monopoly on the local labor market.

toby
08-24-2006, 11:38 AM
You may have a point about job options in a rural area. But at least with Wal Mart there are some jobs.

As for the law, it is the law. If you have proof of violation you can win.

IHateGovernment
08-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Can win but not necessarily will win. Its hard to fight Wal-mart and lets remember your typical Wal-mart worker is making minimum wage or a little more and probably has little knowledge of the law or time or self-confidence to file a law suit.

toby
08-24-2006, 11:56 AM
The state labor board will fight for you if you had a right violated.

IHateGovernment
08-24-2006, 12:05 PM
The labor board can help but these things take time. You have to do these things clandestinely too or you will be fired.

None of this matters anyway the fact the Wal-mart is continually breaking the law regardless of if it gets caught or not is reason enough for me to not spend any money there, and to encourage others to do the same. Wal-mart remains a negative social and encomomic influence moreso than a positive one and I feel inclined to point this out on a thread created to laud such a company.

toby
08-24-2006, 01:03 PM
They don't continue to break the law, no evidence of that at all. On the other hand they do provide many jobs, and as the article says great works around the world. But if you want to ignore the facts then I can't stop you.
But don't spend your money there if you don't want to. Just don't try and stop others from doing so.

IHateGovernment
08-24-2006, 01:19 PM
I will not physically stop anyone but I will always tell people why they should not shop there and hope they make the right decision.

I can assure you that Wal-mart is currently breaking some law which they have yet to be found guilty of. Wal-mart on the average is found to have broken a major labor law every couple of years. To think they are 100% on the up and up now would be naive.

LadyT
08-24-2006, 01:24 PM
walmart blows. I can't stand that place. I don't see how anyone can shop there around these parts. its so crowded and there is literally one entrance/exit to the parking lot.

IHateGovernment
08-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Mutants as I like to call them.

LadyT
08-24-2006, 01:26 PM
I remember vividly the last time I went there to return a coffee pot. The sheer agravation and time I spent there was not worth the $2 I may have saved by going to target. Actually targets prices are pretty cheap too I hope the walmart folks in North Brunswick don't discover it