PDA

View Full Version : Garage Band

Beefy
09-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Anyone know how to get started with this software? I just need a couple of tips. BTW, this computer shreds.

Crashk
09-12-2007, 02:15 PM
the way I do it is to start with a drum beat, click the 'eye' icon on bottom left of window. drag a beat to the tracks, add a bass track the same way. grab the added tracks and stretch them out. If you have real instrument that you play you can click on 'real instruments', make a new track and play while listening to the bass and drums you just layed down. you might need a small mixer for real instruments. theres a lot to garageband and it takes some time, play with it. "then when your hair's combed right and your pants are tight you're gonna be all right."

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/GarageBand_3_Getting_Started.pdf

FUCK THE POLICE
09-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Anyone know how to get started with this software? I just need a couple of tips. BTW, this computer shreds.

I'd recommend abandoning any digital software you have and playing it yourself. Digital "instruments" sound like shit no matter what you do with them. If you're not good enough to play it yourself just don't try.

Hermes Thoth
09-12-2007, 05:18 PM

yeah. Go buy Reason.

Crashk
09-13-2007, 12:41 AM
I'd recommend abandoning any digital software you have and playing it yourself. Digital "instruments" sound like shit no matter what you do with them. If you're not good enough to play it yourself just don't try.

drum tracks are pretty good in garageband, the sound is crisp and clear, who has the $ or the talent or the room to mic all the drums you need. you could get an electronic keyboard and do the drums by hand but thats pretty cheezy. besides for ham-and-eggers its good enough. If you listen to any rap crap its all electronic drum loops.

Asshat..
why buy Reason when Garageband comes free with macs. I used to use Cubasis but for what I do I prefer gb.

Beefy
09-13-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm really only going to use real instruments, so the beats and such are meaningles. I just don't know how to mix and all that business.

Crashk
09-13-2007, 08:33 AM
heres a suggestion, find a beat that matches the tempo of the song you're doing, build the song around it, when you're done take the drum track out. this will keep you in time and prevent you from slowing down or speeding up. lots of usefull tips and helpfull people here.

http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/

click on community and check out the message forum

BRUTALITOPS
09-13-2007, 11:39 AM
MBL YOU ARE A MAC USER?!?!?!?!

that's awesome.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-14-2007, 09:53 PM
On PC we use Audacity to do mixing.

OrnotBitwise
09-14-2007, 10:28 PM
On PC we use Audacity to do mixing.Indeed. Quite audacious. Stupid too. :p

FUCK THE POLICE
09-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Audacity is what I used to record "The Jellyfish Song", Ornot, let's not forget.

I like Audacity because it gives you that nice comfy "Lo-fi" sound. I.E. it has shit for features and doesn't allow you to do anything. I would've recorded the whole thing in a single track and microphone had I felt like waking the rest of my family up by plugging in the 'ole amp, just to give it some extra Lo-Fi feeling.

Hermes Thoth
09-15-2007, 05:54 AM
drum tracks are pretty good in garageband, the sound is crisp and clear, who has the $ or the talent or the room to mic all the drums you need. you could get an electronic keyboard and do the drums by hand but thats pretty cheezy. besides for ham-and-eggers its good enough. If you listen to any rap crap its all electronic drum loops.

Asshat..
why buy Reason when Garageband comes free with macs. I used to use Cubasis but for what I do I prefer gb.

Yeah. Reason really is a whole different category of product, but cool as fuck. I use pro tools in this category. BUt that's just me. I rock.