PDA

View Full Version : Leveling the Playing Field

tianabautre
08-23-2006, 07:09 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.fitness/08/23/men.fitnes.reut/index.html

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) -- Men are catching up to women in one area. They too are feeling pressure to achieve perfect bodies, and this can lead them down unhealthy paths.

The findings of a new study "challenge that myth that men aren't affected by the media or other's comments towards their bodies," Dr. Tracy L. Tylka, at Ohio State University, told Reuters Health.

---------------------------------------------

Welcome to our world guys!

uscitizen
08-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Only the really gay ones Tiana :)

Damocles
08-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Girly men who worry about this are usually not my friends.

Immanuel
08-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Hey, I worry about the spare tire that grew around my waist while I was working full time days and going to school full time nights and has been there ever since. I worry about it all the time.

Now, doing something about it... well, that is a different story. :(

Immie

Damocles
08-23-2006, 08:59 PM
If you get the urge to start barfing constantly so you can lose that unsightly bulge, then you can really start to worry about your manliness there, Imms.

Cancel7
08-24-2006, 05:57 AM
If you get the urge to start barfing constantly so you can lose that unsightly bulge, then you can really start to worry about your manliness there, Imms.

It's unmanly to take care of yourself and keep in shape? That's a great narrative you guys have had going for a long time. And I know it's worked for the most part. I recently read this piece about I forgot what they called them, but the antithesis of the metro-sexual, basically. Like you know, a slob. And the poster boy seems to be that Vince Vaughn because he is incredibly schomy and ordinary looking, plus he's fat and sweaty, and to top it off he scored a clearly still shell-shocked Jennifer Aniston. So that's the new male hero.

But I'll tell you, the media is pushing it, and guys are buying it, but the girls? Not so much. We're not that dumb anymore.
If you're single, you better get working on those abs. And if you're married, and letting yourself go, make sure your wife doesn't mind, and that also, you don't mind if she does the same.

Damocles
08-24-2006, 06:09 AM
It's unmanly to take care of yourself and keep in shape? That's a great narrative you guys have had going for a long time. And I know it's worked for the most part. I recently read this piece about I forgot what they called them, but the antithesis of the metro-sexual, basically. Like you know, a slob. And the poster boy seems to be that Vince Vaughn because he is incredibly schomy and ordinary looking, plus he's fat and sweaty, and to top it off he scored a clearly still shell-shocked Jennifer Aniston. So that's the new male hero.

But I'll tell you, the media is pushing it, and guys are buying it, but the girls? Not so much. We're not that dumb anymore.
If you're single, you better get working on those abs. And if you're married, and letting yourself go, make sure your wife doesn't mind, and that also, you don't mind if she does the same.
No, it is unmanly to worry about it to the point of destruction. Don't be disingenuous. Read the article.

Immanuel
08-24-2006, 06:24 AM

That is not going to happen. Barfing is something I avoid at all costs. I'd sooner stop eating all together.

Immie

Jarod
08-24-2006, 06:27 AM
Id say that is a step in the wrong direction away from a level playing field, or toward a level field that is unhealthy!

Damocles
08-24-2006, 06:29 AM
That is not going to happen. Barfing is something I avoid at all costs. I'd sooner stop eating all together.

Immie
Ahh, so avoid Bulimia go for Anorexia?

Sir Evil
08-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Getting on to my later years and my buttocks still looks good, so now I am a little gayish for keeping it that way? :cof1:

LadyT
08-24-2006, 07:45 AM

Immie

Manorexia is in. That would be hot!

LadyT
08-24-2006, 07:47 AM
But I'll tell you, the media is pushing it, and guys are buying it, but the girls? Not so much. We're not that dumb anymore..

I don't know about you, but I'm working on my third chin already.
:cof1:

Damocles
08-24-2006, 07:50 AM
Getting on to my later years and my buttocks still looks good, so now I am a little gayish for keeping it that way? :cof1:
Metrosexual? LOL.

klaatu
08-24-2006, 07:53 AM
The only pressure I feel is the morning after I eat Suicide Hot Chicken Wings ... thats what happens after 28 years of marriage .... ;)

TheDanold
08-24-2006, 07:53 AM

What a world you live in. Try getting out some time and checking out the crazy number of different Women's health magazines, blows away the number of guys health mags by at least 5 to 1.
So yeah I would say women are wayyyy more interested in what the media is 'pushing'.

And it's great that you're ignoring their message and being "comfortable" with your body Darlalaling, after all men just go crazy over the 'Rosanne Barr' look...

Jarod
08-24-2006, 09:11 AM
The only pressure I feel is the morning after I eat Suicide Hot Chicken Wings ... thats what happens after 28 years of marriage .... ;)

Pittafull.