PDA

View Full Version : When the Levees Broke

OrnotBitwise
08-23-2006, 01:33 PM
The Spike Lee documentary about Katrina and aftermath on HBO. Did anyone else see it? I watched all four "acts" -- which were actually in two parts: go figure -- except for those portions I couldn't watch. There were a few of those.

Spike Lee rules. He had a definite thesis and agenda, which some will call bias. That's fair: it is, in the literal sense. But he supported his thesis strongly with both logos and pathos. And, oh, was it well done.

See it if you haven't.

Cancel7
08-23-2006, 01:37 PM
The Spike Lee documentary about Katrina and aftermath on HBO. Did anyone else see it? I watched all four "acts" -- which were actually in two parts: go figure -- except for those portions I couldn't watch. There were a few of those.

Spike Lee rules. He had a definite thesis and agenda, which some will call bias. That's fair: it is, in the literal sense. But he supported his thesis strongly with both logos and pathos. And, oh, was it well done.

See it if you haven't.

I don't have HBO because I never watched anything on it when I did have it, and yes, that includes The Sopranos and Sex and the City, neither of which captured my interest. So then they go and do something like this and now I'm cursing that I don't have it. But, I figure they will release this on dvd, and probably soon. It will be Costco by the holidays is my guess. I'll defintely buy it as soon as it hits the stores. I can't wait to see it actually.

uscitizen
08-23-2006, 01:39 PM
No HBO here either, but will look for it.

OrnotBitwise
08-23-2006, 01:46 PM
I don't have HBO because I never watched anything on it when I did have it, and yes, that includes The Sopranos and Sex and the City, neither of which captured my interest. So then they go and do something like this and now I'm cursing that I don't have it. But, I figure they will release this on dvd, and probably soon. It will be Costco by the holidays is my guess. I'll defintely buy it as soon as it hits the stores. I can't wait to see it actually.
You mean, you actually have . . . cable without HBO??!? Isn't that kind of like frosting with no cake?

Yeah, it will be out on DVD soon. Buy it or get it from Netflix. It's extremely well done. As is typical with Spike Lee's work, it's not hard to watch at all. Just when it starts to get too depressing and gruesome, he can deftly lighten the mood just enough to get you by.

Possibly my favorite bit was the emergency room doctor telling Dick Cheney "Go fuck yourself, Mr. Cheney!" in front of all the network TV cameras. ;)

Cancel7
08-23-2006, 01:56 PM
You mean, you actually have . . . cable without HBO??!? Isn't that kind of like frosting with no cake?

Yeah, it will be out on DVD soon. Buy it or get it from Netflix. It's extremely well done. As is typical with Spike Lee's work, it's not hard to watch at all. Just when it starts to get too depressing and gruesome, he can deftly lighten the mood just enough to get you by.

Possibly my favorite bit was the emergency room doctor telling Dick Cheney "Go fuck yourself, Mr. Cheney!" in front of all the network TV cameras. ;)

Yeah, that was on television, bleeped out, but you got the message. I didn't know he was an emergency room doctor. Great for him.

I'll buy it. One habit that Prak got me into is buying dvds, and now I have a whole bunch of them.

uscitizen
08-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Satellite here, but can't see paying for HBO. No cable here in the sticks.

OrnotBitwise
08-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Yeah, that was on television, bleeped out, but you got the message. I didn't know he was an emergency room doctor. Great for him.

I'll buy it. One habit that Prak got me into is buying dvds, and now I have a whole bunch of them.
Yes, well, with this you get to see the context. And no bleeping, of course. It all makes more sense when you see what this guy, and everyone in his neighborhood, had been putting up with.

OrnotBitwise
08-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Satellite here, but can't see paying for HBO. No cable here in the sticks.
That's probably wise, but I find that I watch HBO more than anything else on TV. Except maybe the Discovery channels. All of my favorite shows are on HBO and when I'm not watching those, it's the movies.

uscitizen
08-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Movies, RFD, History, Discovery, LinkTV, PBS, BBC news , Scifi, and that type of stuff.

maineman
08-23-2006, 05:18 PM
my wife watched all of it...I could only watch bits and pieces of it - I was getting too angry.

Care4all
08-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Movies, RFD, History, Discovery, LinkTV, PBS, BBC news , Scifi, and that type of stuff.

that's my story....but add c-span to it...

until football!!! lol what can i say? dad had no boys as kids??? :D

Damocles
08-23-2006, 05:34 PM
My girls love watching football with me. At least they pretend to and later will when they really understand the game.

BRUTALITOPS
08-23-2006, 05:56 PM
I don't know what it is about but I don't feel anger, only hatred to the retards that stayed behind.

Damocles
08-23-2006, 06:06 PM
It's because we are all heartless and stuff and expect people to take some responsibility for their poor choices at an individual level.

maineman
08-23-2006, 06:10 PM
It's because we are all heartless and stuff and expect people to take some responsibility for their poor choices at an individual level.

have you even SEEN the show? Or do you think that we just love to read your witticisms when you really have little to add?

Damocles
08-23-2006, 06:16 PM
have you even SEEN the show? Or do you think that we just love to read your witticisms when you really have little to add?
I think that I can joke with Grind regardless.

maineman
08-23-2006, 06:21 PM
of course you can....

I have a great idea: why don't you start a "joke with Grind" thread and let folks talk about the Spike Lee documentary on THIS one???

Damocles
08-23-2006, 06:22 PM
of course you can....

I have a great idea: why don't you start a "joke with Grind" thread and let folks talk about the Spike Lee documentary on THIS one???
Because it doesn't have the same impact in a different thread.

maineman
I mean...shit... he didn't watch the fucking movie either!

Damocles
I never watch movies until they come out on HBO...

maineman
08-23-2006, 06:23 PM
or...you could change the website name to "Just Plain Standup Comedy Failures"

BRUTALITOPS
08-23-2006, 06:24 PM
and I added that as a disclaimer maine, that I didn't watch the movie... but you know what, ask yourself, do you think I would change my mind if I saw it?

Do you really think that?

maineman
08-23-2006, 06:24 PM
I never watch movies until they come out on HBO...

this one WAS on HBO, of did you miss that part in between all the bellylaughs?

Damocles
08-23-2006, 06:25 PM
I haven't seen it yet. I do have somewhat of a life. Even though I seem to be on this site 24/7...

It's all good. I'll see it later and then post the same opinion for ya.

maineman
08-23-2006, 06:26 PM
and I added that as a disclaimer maine, that I didn't watch the movie... but you know what, ask yourself, do you think I would change my mind if I saw it?

Do you really think that?

no...I think that you do not change your mind....which brings to mind the Ben Franklin quote from fullpolitics.com:

"For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise."

maineman
08-23-2006, 06:30 PM
closed mind: no need to worry about silly stuff like new and better information....right grind?

Damocles
08-23-2006, 06:32 PM
I have it set to tape on HBOHD on 8/29. Until then just assume I am making assinine jokes and feel free to ignore all comments on this subject. ;)

maineman
08-23-2006, 06:33 PM
read your PM....

BRUTALITOPS
08-23-2006, 07:33 PM
closed mind: no need to worry about silly stuff like new and better information....right grind?

and when was the last time YOU changed your mind on any significant maineman?

Shut the fuck up.. I have changed my mind on a multitude of things, gay marriage, the war, abortion, relgion, etc..

And I have changed my mind on things such as taxes... I want less of them than I did 3 years ago.

But the things of which I changed my mind on... are things that I re-evaluated from the perspective of my core beliefs.. namely, keeping the government the fuck out of people's lives. That has always remained solid and will never change.

uscitizen
08-23-2006, 07:43 PM
that's my story....but add c-span to it...

until football!!! lol what can i say? dad had no boys as kids??? :D

somebody else actually watches Cspan besides myself ?
Have you sought out medical care yet ?
Just kidding, well maybe ;)

maineman
08-23-2006, 07:44 PM
I changed my mind on capital punishment when my college age son gave me an argument I could not refute. I changed my opinion of our president when he let OBL get away at Tora Bora....I changed my mind on what a great candidate Kerry was when he kept putting his foot in his mouth....

uscitizen
08-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Grind has it all figured out and will never need to change his viewpoints, all at the ripe old age of 20 something ?

BRUTALITOPS
08-23-2006, 10:21 PM
must shake you to the very core that people may have different convictions other than your own. Yeah, I am old enough to know that I am NEVER going to want the government putting it's nose in MY business.

Topspin
08-24-2006, 09:33 AM
I live in New Orleans suburbs and work in New Orleans.
Thinking of Giving up HBO as I now have the NFL network and watch movies on DVD before they hit HBO.
It's actually way worse than Spike could possible portray. I can tell you his racism BS is exactly that.
Many rich upperclass white neighborhoods with million dollar home are just as demolished and remain just as unrepaired.

Care4all
08-24-2006, 09:38 AM
I live in New Orleans suburbs and work in New Orleans.
Thinking of Giving up HBO as I now have the NFL network and watch movies on DVD before they hit HBO.
It's actually way worse than Spike could possible portray. I can tell you his racism BS is exactly that.
Many rich upperclass white neighborhoods with million dollar home are just as demolished and remain just as unrepaired.

what percent of homes still in illrepair are the rich upperclass white neighborhood homes COMPARED to the areas demolished in the impoverished areas?

jimminee christmas top, didn't we already give 60 BILLION in RELIEF from our tax revenues?

where the heck did that money go?

care

Topspin
08-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Care4, almost the same % believe it or not.
I have friends at work that are starting to rebuild in the rich areas.
Actually the non-rich are much more do it your selfers. and could be further along. Contractor's are harder to find here than and honest politician.
Alot of the money went to pay police, fireman, Nagin & co and clean up, health care etc.
Nothing is rebuilt, MS is years ahead of us.
We lost over 200,000 homes completely though MS lost 25,000