PDA

View Full Version : Dixieland Flag Burning

LadyT
08-22-2006, 11:49 AM
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1539082/20060822/index.jhtml?headlines=true

I can understand the safety concern that goes along with flag burning in a classroom, but these people need to get lives.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-22-2006, 11:57 AM
From sixth graders like Kelsey Adwell, 11 — who said students just "can't believe that a teacher would do that, burn two American flags in front of the class. ... A teacher shouldn't do that, even though it was an example" — to school board members, the reaction to the demonstration was intense. Board member Pat O'Leary told the Courier-Journal that he thought the flag burning was unnecessary and could have offended some students, including those in military families. "A teacher doesn't do that," he said. "It's just disrespectful."

Though some parents had called for Holden to be fired, Adwell's mother, school PTA president Ginny Adwell, said that was a bit overboard, reminding them that Holden was trying to provoke thought with his lesson.

The sixth-grader is right, and Ginny Adwell is a Pinhead.

IHateGovernment
08-22-2006, 12:00 PM
This would be fine in a college setting. Not really for a middle school.

uscitizen
08-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Bruning flags is quite stinky now-a-days from all the crap Bush and his bunch have flung on the flag. Fire safety violation.

Jarod
08-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Its a safety issue depending on the size of the flags.

robdastud
08-22-2006, 12:07 PM
i agree w/ dixie. actually...(sorry lady T)

IHateGovernment
08-22-2006, 12:09 PM
The guy won't be fired though. Its almost impossible to fire teachers.

uscitizen
08-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Developing a taste for the southern boys rob ?

robdastud
08-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Developing a taste for the southern boys rob ?

always had a thing for southerners and accents... well depending on what they look like... im just glad to be home in yankeevill where the high temp today is only 80 something.

LadyT
08-22-2006, 12:15 PM
I just thinks interesting that most of the stink isn't about the safety laws he may have violated, but rather the political implications. They were in a social studies class studying US gov't. If you weren't concerned about the safety issues, why not take time to help your child articulate why it was wrong or right. It really is not that serious.

LadyT
08-22-2006, 12:16 PM
I think he should have had a video of him burning a flag and taken the lesson from there.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-22-2006, 12:18 PM
This would be fine in a college setting. Not really for a middle school.

I don't think it's "fine" in any setting. It's symbolic for hate and utter contempt, not unlike using the N-word. Only, it's directed at the United States, our country, our government, our way of life. What business do teachers have, demonstrating this to our youth? It should be taught that it's disrespectful and intolerable, and likened to other hate speech.

LadyT
08-22-2006, 12:22 PM
I don't think it's "fine" in any setting. It's symbolic for hate and utter contempt, not unlike using the N-word. Only, it's directed at the United States, our country, our government, our way of life. What business do teachers have, demonstrating this to our youth? It should be taught that it's disrespectful and intolerable, and likened to other hate speech.

{sigh} ummm, okay...........flag burning like using the n-word now?

Do you compare everything to slavery or the n-word all the time or just when you're in threads with me? Seriously, I'm curious. Because Bill Maher does that $hit too when he has a black person on his panel, its quite annoying.

Anyway........

What you're suggesting is tantamount to idolizing. What does the bible say about idolizing again?

uscitizen
08-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Idolizing...to dixie that is Bush in blue jeans :)
Or perhaps that is just lust....

IHateGovernment
08-22-2006, 12:40 PM

It was done as an example of something not a political statement. Saying Nigger in a college classroom in an educational context as an example wouldn't be wrong just as buring a flag. It is a hateful thing to say or do but as a demonstration of something it may be appropriate. There are few general things that are always wrong to do.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-22-2006, 02:15 PM
{sigh} ummm, okay...........flag burning like using the n-word now?

Do you compare everything to slavery or the n-word all the time or just when you're in threads with me? Seriously, I'm curious. Because Bill Maher does that $hit too when he has a black person on his panel, its quite annoying.

Anyway........

What you're suggesting is tantamount to idolizing. What does the bible say about idolizing again?

No, there is a difference between idolizing and respecting. I only compared a single aspect to anything racially related, and whenever I do that, perhaps it is so that you and others might look at the situation in a different context. If a high school teacher had delivered a KKK speech to the children, liberally using the 'n-word', I doubt many pinheads would be claiming he was merely demonstrating a point to evoke thought. Burning the flag, or any flag for that matter, is a symbol of profound and utter disrespect and hatred, not unlike the use of the n-word. The difference being, one is directed at a minority group and the other is directed at the nation or those represented by the flag. It doesn't matter to me if you are white or black, T... I oppose hate speech across the board, specifically when it comes to the classroom. Freedom of speech is not conducive with teaching curriculum in high school, and teachers don't have free speech rights to teach our children to be anarchists.