PDA

View Full Version : Well, it has been one month...

Damocles
08-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Today the site has been open for one month. For a made-on-the-fly quick board I think we are doing well...

Threads: 497, Posts: 9,949, Members: 75, Active Members: 75
Welcome to our newest member, Gaffer

Nearly 500 threads and 10,000 posts in one month!

Thanks for making this a great place there people!

:clink:

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-22-2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks for not being an insane dictatorial power-hungry asshole who thinks he owns us! You've got a great place here, and it will only get better!:cool:

Cypress
08-22-2006, 08:26 AM
congratulations Damo. Well done!

OrnotBitwise
08-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Damocles Akbar!

IHateGovernment
08-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Banzai!

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks for not being an insane dictatorial power-hungry asshole who thinks he owns us!

That would be my title! Sorry Dixie, I'm here to ruffle some feathers and I may steal a bit of your thunder along the way!:cof1:

OrnotBitwise
08-22-2006, 11:02 AM
That would be my title! Sorry Dixie, I'm here to ruffle some feathers and I may steal a bit of your thunder along the way!:cof1:
Uhm, I hates to tell ya this, but that's not thunder. That's just thunderous flatulence.

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Uhm, I hates to tell ya this, but that's not thunder. That's just thunderous flatulence.

:lolup: :lolup:

Darn, the superiority level here his incredible! Orney, is that one all your own or did ya get a helping hand coming up with it?........:cof1:

Damocles
08-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Heeeeee! :D

OrnotBitwise
08-22-2006, 11:25 AM
:lolup: :lolup:

Darn, the superiority level here his incredible! Orney, is that one all your own or did ya get a helping hand coming up with it?........:cof1:The day I need help with something like that is the day they can plant me. I do wish I could've come up with a better synonym for "thunderous" but I was composing on the fly, as usual.

So, what's your excuse?

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 11:49 AM
The day I need help with something like that is the day they can plant me. I do wish I could've come up with a better synonym for "thunderous" but I was composing on the fly, as usual.

So, what's your excuse?

No excuses here Ornery, my feeble attempts at one liners would fall well short of the superiority level they are used around here! I bow to you oh one liners, I'm not worthy!.....:cof1:

Hey it was a good one, don't sell yerself short!

klaatu
08-22-2006, 01:57 PM
May the force be with you Damo ... :clink:

LadyT
08-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Congrats Damo! You stepped up to the plate when we needed you. You're efforts are greatly appreciated.

Thomas L. Knapp
08-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Nice site -- glad I stumbled into it!

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-22-2006, 03:25 PM

Nah, I doubt that, many have tried... but hey, if you can do your part to help educate the Pinhead masses, more power to ya! There are enough ignorant people to go around, I am sure we will both be content.

Cancel7
08-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Nah, I doubt that, many have tried... but hey, if you can do your part to help educate the Pinhead masses, more power to ya! There are enough ignorant people to go around, I am sure we will both be content.

Oh, no doubt. Ignorance is bliss, and you two should be bout the happiest pigs in the poke for sure.

Damocles
08-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Nice site -- glad I stumbled into it!
Well thanks! I hope you enjoy it.

Cancel7
08-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I have to agree Damo, I'm surprised at how much I've taken to this site. For whatever reason, I just never really did to FP. And there's no reason I can explain for it. But I really like it here, as much as I liked my old and first board when I first found it, before it turned into troll heaven. It's comfortable here, I really like the people, and I can be "off-topic" as much as I want to without getting yelled at. Thanks for it!

evince
08-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Good job Damo!

Damocles
08-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I have to agree Damo, I'm surprised at how much I've taken to this site. For whatever reason, I just never really did to FP. And there's no reason I can explain for it. But I really like it here, as much as I liked my old and first board when I first found it, before it turned into troll heaven. It's comfortable here, I really like the people, and I can be "off-topic" as much as I want to without getting yelled at. Thanks for it!
Not a problem and thanks for using the site. It makes it worth the effort I put into it. I think this is going to be one fun hobby...

BRUTALITOPS
08-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Well done comrade. Viva le revolucion! ;)

Care4all
08-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Congrats Damo! This site is extremely "user friendly" and is getting better daily! especially this past week, things have picked up...

up, up and away.....

may good karma stay with you!

[i]The Law of Karma is taught in the esoteric Christian tradition, Essenian and later Rosicrucian, as the "Law of Cause and Consequence/Effect" [1]. However, this western esoteric tradition adds that the essence of the teachings of Christ is that the law of sin and death may be overcome by Love, which will restore immortality.
:D

BRUTALITOPS
08-22-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm pleased this site is successful, considering I have no where else to go... I honestly thought it was just going to be a phase for all of you and that you would be back with sr in 2 weeks ( I know many of you still post over there, but you post here too so it's all good)

Care4all
08-22-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm finding myself less and less over there, not because I dislike it, but because threads over here catch me and I end up posting on them all day and never get over there enough to keep up. though I have had the opposite happen where I was caught on a post over there and did not make it here till later so, it'll all work out....

What we are missing now is a Desh....or a Saoirse... we need someone to regularly post controversial articles from each side of the fense...we need this to make it interesting imho!

even wrl or when Dixie gets back to his rare form....when they start spewing their "garbage" :D, we can then attack them....lol hahahaha! j/k...but you know what I mean.... and they can attack the Desh's and we can come to her defense and then we can kiss and make up...eventually...if I had it my way but I do realize we do not live in Utopia... :(

oh well... I can dream!!!

But my point is that a political site is not fun to me if all we do is just agree with eachother all the time...why come here?

and the more controversial debate we have, the longer the threads...ya know...?

evince
08-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey thanks care , I find myself one of the only dems there often and it catches me.
Also this site at times is slower.

It loads slower for me at times and I find myself going back to FP for speed.

Care4all
08-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Very True on the Speed...I meant to tell Damo that it is running really slow and I would like to know why?

We can't let slowness get in the way like it did at politics.com and if this site is slowing already, we should find out why or rather Damo should figure out why... :D

Damocles
08-22-2006, 06:00 PM
It is likely everybody using the "new posts" feature. that takes up some bandwidth as it is a new search each time it is used.

Annie
08-22-2006, 06:01 PM
congratulations Damo. Well done!

Hell, I finally found something we agree on! :clink:

Damocles
08-22-2006, 06:01 PM
That's tough with Cypress! LOL.

Damocles
08-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Very True on the Speed...I meant to tell Damo that it is running really slow and I would like to know why?

We can't let slowness get in the way like it did at politics.com and if this site is slowing already, we should find out why or rather Damo should figure out why... :D
Are y'all using dial up or something? I haven't had much of an issue with speed.

Damocles
08-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Another thing I thought of, it may be when I am loading new features... I've been doing that quite a bit.

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Oh, no doubt. Ignorance is bliss, and you two should be bout the happiest pigs in the poke for sure.

Speaking of pigs......nevermind.....:sexy:

Annie
08-22-2006, 06:27 PM
That's tough with Cypress! LOL.

For me? You have no idea! (Then again, you might!). :cool:

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 06:42 PM

I dunno Dixie, so far they got me as farting thunder! that's a pretty tough challenge to beat, ya up for it?

As far as educating I dunno, they seem pretty set in their ways round here, I mean with all the back patting fest the work is certainly cut out....:cof1:

evince
08-22-2006, 06:48 PM
I have cable and its slow on here compared to the other site ,I think the person who said it may be the todays post thing posts might be right I use that to see who and when the last posts were.

I love the people here but I often want rapid fire response and I seem to get that more on the other site.

Care4all
08-22-2006, 07:10 PM
Are y'all using dial up or something? I haven't had much of an issue with speed.
-------------------------
1465.5 Kbps

179.6 K bytes/sec
--------------------------

broadband speed tst....

don't know what it means ? but i know we are paying extra for a supposed really high speed?

do you think it is me? maybe i need to do a disk clean up or something? i know nothing about this crud... :(

all i know is the site is running slower for me...in general...

Damocles
08-22-2006, 07:11 PM
I haven't had trouble with it at all. I'm not sure. So far it seems to be you and Desh. My server has plenty of bandwidth, and we barely hit it as it is...

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 07:19 PM
-------------------------
1465.5 Kbps

179.6 K bytes/sec
--------------------------

broadband speed tst....

don't know what it means ? but i know we are paying extra for a supposed really high speed?

do you think it is me? maybe i need to do a disk clean up or something? i know nothing about this crud... :(

all i know is the site is running slower for me...in general...

Try CCleaner aka crap cleaner to help remove the eneeded junk that piles up, you would be surprised. get it here for free, good program:
www.ccleaner.com

Then when time permits do a defrag, I do it montly and suggest anyone else to do the same depending on how much they use their pc.

Still slow, something many people never do is ccompact their e-mail folders, after time without doing this it will weigh heavy on the pc..

After all that and still slow.... get another pc! :p

Damocles
08-22-2006, 07:20 PM
LOL. How much Ram do you have? That can play a factor in your speed too.

Care4all
08-22-2006, 07:26 PM
ok, i will Sir! thanks!

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 07:27 PM
I haven't had trouble with it at all. I'm not sure. So far it seems to be you and Desh. My server has plenty of bandwidth, and we barely hit it as it is...

I have detected some slow downs here and there while logged in. If you are not on a dedicated or semi dedicated server It can very well be another board sharing the server that can cause slow speeds at times...

Care4all
08-22-2006, 07:28 PM
i dunno the RAM damo? where do i go to look it up? got the laptop for christmas from matt....

Damocles
08-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah, not a dedicated server here. That is higher in cost... This board was built on the fast and cheap! :D

Damocles
08-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Right click on My Computer and go down to Properties, it shows on the first page...

Care4all
08-22-2006, 07:30 PM
btw...i said i was slower, but that does not necessaily mean slow...

also, damo, i will pay attention as to when, it happens...like when posting a new thread or post, or going in to a thread for the first time that has alot of posts?

Damocles
08-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Yeah, plus SE is right. I don't have a dedicated server so other boards or sites usage can have an effect on the speed of this site. So it may just be temp slowdowns because of that. In fact, if the other site doesn't have them that is likely to be the cause.

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 07:32 PM
ok, i will Sir! thanks!

Welcome! :clink:

evince
08-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Thing is it doesnt happen elsewhere and I have high speed cable

Damocles
08-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Thing is it doesnt happen elsewhere and I have high speed cable
see two up from your post here.

Care4all
08-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Right click on My Computer and go down to Properties, it shows on the first page...

224 mb RAM 2.19 ghz

???

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Yeah, plus SE is right. I don't have a dedicated server so other boards or sites usage can have an effect on the speed of this site. So it may just be temp slowdowns because of that. In fact, if the other site doesn't have them that is likely to be the cause.

Oh boy that is just the easy part, wait till some bird brain on another site really screws up the works and has ya just about unable to navigate your own site. Usually just temp issues but they can be a burden.

Damocles
08-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Wow, you need to double that RAM up. I have 1 GIG. That will increase your speed on EVERYTHING... I mean hugely.

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 07:35 PM
224 mb RAM 2.19 ghz

???

That's decent RAM, should'nt be an issue. Having speed issues only here or other sites as well?

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Wow, you need to double that RAM up. I have 1 GIG. That will increase your speed on EVERYTHING... I mean hugely.

I'm gigged as well but still run into that issue at times, just have to realize that sometimes it's just plain not your own machine.

Damocles
08-22-2006, 07:37 PM
That's decent RAM, should'nt be an issue. Having speed issues only here or other sites as well?
LOL. You and I have different definitions of "decent RAM"... I say you need 500 at least, she has 250...

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 07:38 PM

Dedicated is crazy expensive, semi is still too rich for my po' ass, so shared server it is for me.. Until ya have any offers to help flip the bill I would stay shared as well.

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 07:42 PM
LOL. You and I have different definitions of "decent RAM"... I say you need 500 at least, she has 250...

Well I think you are probably right. I would guess you probaly have games, and other software running? I use my machine strictly for the music and a bit of fun amongst the net. I also have three external 200gig hard drives to carry some load. But really RAM won't play a huge difference for those who run little software or games.. well maybe I should'nt go there either as I have burnt out machines in the past as well....:)

Damocles
08-22-2006, 07:43 PM
RAM is the first thing I recommend when upgrading a machine. It is the cheapest and brings the most noticeable change.

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 07:49 PM
RAM is the first thing I recommend when upgrading a machine. It is the cheapest and brings the most noticeable change.

Now, I didn't say it was not recommendable but just that it can be resolved before replacing if one once had a machine that had better speeds than it is now producing, but yer right, it's a cheap upgrade that will bring a difference.

Care4all
08-22-2006, 08:19 PM

ok, sorry it took me so long...but this is what it says about upgrading my RAM

Memory 256MB (128MB installed in each of two memory slots or 256MB installed in one of two memory slot) DDR 333 SDRAM
User upgradeable up to 512MB (one 512MB memory card in one slot or 256MB installed in each of two memory slots)
*If upgrading after initial purchase, one or more of the memory cards provided with the system may have to be replaced with optional larger memory cards in order to achieve the maximum capacity.

can you translate that to me at a kindergarten level? :eek:

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 08:22 PM
can you translate that to me at a kindergarten level? :eek:

The machine can only except 512 RAM capacity, the mother board will have to slots to host the memory, you can use two slots with 256 or use one slot with 512.

See what offers the best price, buying seperate or a single piece and go that route.

Damocles
08-22-2006, 08:27 PM
You have two chips in there at 128 MB each, in order to upgrade you need two 256 MB chips which would double your memory. This will increase your speed noticeably on everything. Unfortunately it probably won't resolve the occassional pause on my site, but it will be noticeably faster...

Care4all
08-22-2006, 08:28 PM
The machine can only except 512 RAM capacity, the mother board will have to slots to host the memory, you can use two slots with 256 or use one slot with 512.

See what offers the best price, buying seperate or a single piece and go that route.

Do you know if one way operates better than the other? like would a 512 be better than operating with Two 256's for some reason...money isn't really a problem unless it is ALOT more money for one over the other...

another question...if I went with one 512 does the other 128 stay in the slot just doing nothing? and where are these slots? are they marked somehow?

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 08:29 PM
O'oops forgot to mention that DDR 333 SDRAM is the type of memory required.
when looking you will find there are different types of memory. I would check out:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/

The site is easy to navigate, easy to locate the precise type of memory, and prices are usually competative.

Sir Evil
08-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Do you know if one way operates better than the other? like would a 512 be better than operating with Two 256's for some reason...money isn't really a problem unless it is ALOT more money for one over the other...

another question...if I went with one 512 does the other 128 stay in the slot just doing nothing? and where are these slots? are they marked somehow?

I don't think you will find much of a difference either way. But should you get a single 512 chip definitely remove the other current 128 chip from it's slot and leave it empty.

Damocles
08-22-2006, 08:31 PM
The 512 is likely an OS limitation. Which Operating System are you running?

Really it is six of one or half-dozen of the other... Whichever is cheaper is the best way to go.

Care4all
08-22-2006, 08:41 PM
The 512 is likely an OS limitation. Which Operating System are you running?
Really it is six of one or half-dozen of the other... Whichever is cheaper is the best way to go.

huh???

hahahaha...what is an OPERATING SYSTEM I'm running MEAN??? please...remember , you are speaking to someone who knows less than a kindergartner's level of knowledge when it comes to personal computers....

BRUTALITOPS
08-22-2006, 09:32 PM
sometimes if you have dual sticks running you can get benefits.

care4all.. you are running windows. xp? 2000? 98? 95?

If you ever have any speed problems, just hit alt+f4 and you'll get a speed boost.

Damocles
08-22-2006, 09:33 PM

If you ever have any speed problems, just hit alt+f4 and you'll get a speed boost.
LOL

Care4all
08-22-2006, 10:31 PM

xp 2000...

but why is damo laughing? will this action really shut down my computer or something?

now be nice, and tell the truth! lol:eek:

Buddha
08-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Testing... Testing... Had this been an actual post from Buddha wisdom would have spilled out all over your eyes while reading this post... Testing...

BRUTALITOPS
08-23-2006, 05:45 PM
xp 2000...

but why is damo laughing? will this action really shut down my computer or something?

now be nice, and tell the truth! lol:eek:

alt + f4 closes whatever window you have open. It doesn't give you a speed boost.

Also, you either have xp or 2000. There is no such thing as xp 2000.

tianabautre
08-23-2006, 06:51 PM
I've got a gig of RAM and its been kind of slow for me too, even at work.

AnyOldIron
08-25-2006, 05:30 AM

Oh, the irony.... :D