PDA

View Full Version : VCHS fields first football team.........

Battleborne
08-20-2007, 02:40 PM
in more than six decades...
Our local HS finally completed it's football/baseball field it is artificial turf and really looks great...I was talking to the Head Coach a few weeks ago while watching the new team practice...I suggested to the coach that VC should adapt the Wing T formation...
he told me that was so old fashioned and out of date...I told him the HS I attended used the Wing T and we always made State and all CIF...I was a WB in HS and a defensive deep back in college(I was to small for offense in college)
at any rate VC had their first scrimmage this last Saturday...they played against Coleville and as it turned out Coleville uses the Wing T and kicked VC's royal butt! I just looked at the coach and smiled...he flipped me off then started laughing...gee I wonder if he will now take my advice...probably not he is a stubborn old coot!
The scrimmage was attended by our new Governor non other than the former Congressman Jim Gibbons...The scrimmage had a party atmosphere and the snack stand served tri tip bbq sandwiches...really a treat at a ball game!
The kids were really excited as they now have a football team and the cheerleaders really felt like big shots.
Cross Country will be starting practice tomorrow my GD is in her senior year and the Capt. of the girls team...last year they took 3rd at State...and the year before 2nd at State...sure hope they can take first this year before the GD grads and goes off to college...The Sheriffs Office said she could take time off her pt job with them to attend meets and she will practice with the coach after work....
Sorry to bore y'all but sports at the school level is fun to watch... I'm not into pro stuff!

Battleborne
08-21-2007, 11:53 AM
The GD just got back from Cross Country practice..the HS Principle introduced her to a new student from Texas..the kid just moved to our area from Texas with his family...He is a cowboy and rides bulls...she said he is a little bashful but cute..maybe she will be sidetracked from her BF who loves street bikes and go back to her roots...horses and plain yet simple and fun guys...only a G-Pas hope...it is hard being a parent!:)

Damocles
08-21-2007, 12:00 PM
The GD just got back from Cross Country practice..the HS Principle introduced her to a new student from Texas..the kid just moved to our area from Texas with his family...He is a cowboy and rides bulls...she said he is a little bashful but cute..maybe she will be sidetracked from her BF who loves street bikes and go back to her roots...horses and plain yet simple and fun guys...only a G-Pas hope...it is hard being a parent!:)
Bullriders are idiots. I know, I was one for a while.

Battleborne
08-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Bullriders are idiots. I know, I was one for a while.

But were you cute? Hey, remember we are discussing kids and infatuation here...I rode bareback and saddle bronc...so I will agree with your bull rider comment...however y'all did have clowns to rescue you from the bulls revenge...if a bronc had a gripe...ya were on your own...we both were stupid...yet young and having fun!:pke:

Damocles
08-21-2007, 12:06 PM
But were you cute? Hey, remember we are discussing kids and infatuation here...I rode bareback and saddle bronc...so I will agree with your bull rider comment...however y'all did have clowns to rescue you from the bulls revenge...if a bronc had a gripe...ya were on your own...we both were stupid...yet young and having fun!:pke:
Nah, there were the guys on the horses at the back of the ring to save the Bronc riders. And if you are hung up on a bull, clowns don't do much for you.

Battleborne
08-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Nah, there were the guys on the horses at the back of the ring to save the Bronc riders. And if you are hung up on a bull, clowns don't do much for you.

Kinda/ sorta...but hey I had a few broncs that got to me before the saver riders...they were too busy flirting with the rodeo queen...can't say the same for the clowns...touche'

Battleborne
08-31-2007, 01:56 PM
VCHS Played it's first league game against 'Carlin' this last week...albeit they got thier royal butts kicked once again all was not lost...the Head Coach took my advice and started using the Wing T...The score was 27-0...But 'Carlin' was surprised as they usually have a lead by some 45 points on average...so the defense did a fair job...cute kids, tried their best...they will improver over time and experience!

OrnotBitwise
09-01-2007, 07:11 AM
And if you are hung up on a bull, clowns don't do much for you.
Exactly. Congressional fact-finding missions: what a waste.

uscitizen
09-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Exactly. Congressional fact-finding missions: what a waste.

:D

good one. Bring out the clowns!

DigitalDave
09-06-2007, 01:30 PM
BB, Wing T? We called that 'Robust' where I went to school. I also played football in HS, won states twice and was a National Champion once. Got my picture on the back of a Team Cheerios box. Wing T is good for teams with a crappy QB and a decent set of RB's. We only used it in goaline or short yardage situations because they knew we were running but we didn't want them to know whether Mike Doss (currently a Viking SS), Jamar Martin (FB on the Jets), or Demarlo Rozier was getting the ball. Any one of them could get us 3-4 untouched yards easy with the other two backs paving a path.

But our QB could throw the long ball and we hardly ever had to use the short yardage plays, except with our rivals (Warren Harding, Massilon, and St. Ignatius)

Battleborne
09-10-2007, 12:27 PM
BB, Wing T? We called that 'Robust' where I went to school. I also played football in HS, won states twice and was a National Champion once. Got my picture on the back of a Team Cheerios box. Wing T is good for teams with a crappy QB and a decent set of RB's. We only used it in goaline or short yardage situations because they knew we were running but we didn't want them to know whether Mike Doss (currently a Viking SS), Jamar Martin (FB on the Jets), or Demarlo Rozier was getting the ball. Any one of them could get us 3-4 untouched yards easy with the other two backs paving a path.

But our QB could throw the long ball and we hardly ever had to use the short yardage plays, except with our rivals (Warren Harding, Massilon, and St. Ignatius)

we agree to disagree...I was a (R) WB in HS could throw a mean pass avg 50yds and on a good day 65...so whatever..ya never played my school..so all is a moot point!

DigitalDave
09-11-2007, 10:32 AM
we agree to disagree...I was a (R) WB in HS could throw a mean pass avg 50yds and on a good day 65...so whatever..ya never played my school..so all is a moot point!

Having 3 running backs in your backfield for more than 30% of your offensive plays means you lose 1 or 2 eligible recievers to start from the LOS and move them into your backfield. It also becomes more obvious that the play is going to be a run and the element of surprise becomes less of a factor. Even if they were passes, most of your recievers are behind the LOS so you can only hope a linebacker is slow and can't pick up a swing pass. It is almost certain your one or two recievers up on the LOS will be covered by a CB and a Safety. Wing T is easily defensed if you plan on using it for driving the ball. It is made for running teams where the QB lacks the ability to make a drive happen, or sparingly for short yardage plays. The element of surprise has to come from the running backs. We would often fake twice then give to the third, then on the next down give it to the first back to the ball on a quick punch. Usually that's all we needed but the next time we needed it we never did the same fake setup twice. We ran three reciever sets over 50% of the time with either a single set back or two backs, depending on the pressure the defense put on us. Usually we had the two backs in the backfield when the pressure was coming in all directions at different times so the extra man could pick up a blitz. There was a lot of strategy involved and we were the best in the nation because we could ground and pound with anyone, but when that came up short for us, we aired it out and we were just as succesful. Our defense was constantly shutting people out too. When your startegy is to just ground and pound the whole game, you'll win some, and get totally screwed by teams with horrible records because they can hold back the run, and thats all they need to do to keep the game alive for them.

Battleborne
09-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Having 3 running backs in your backfield for more than 30% of your offensive plays means you lose 1 or 2 eligible recievers to start from the LOS and move them into your backfield. It also becomes more obvious that the play is going to be a run and the element of surprise becomes less of a factor. Even if they were passes, most of your recievers are behind the LOS so you can only hope a linebacker is slow and can't pick up a swing pass. It is almost certain your one or two recievers up on the LOS will be covered by a CB and a Safety. Wing T is easily defensed if you plan on using it for driving the ball. It is made for running teams where the QB lacks the ability to make a drive happen, or sparingly for short yardage plays. The element of surprise has to come from the running backs. We would often fake twice then give to the third, then on the next down give it to the first back to the ball on a quick punch. Usually that's all we needed but the next time we needed it we never did the same fake setup twice. We ran three reciever sets over 50% of the time with either a single set back or two backs, depending on the pressure the defense put on us. Usually we had the two backs in the backfield when the pressure was coming in all directions at different times so the extra man could pick up a blitz. There was a lot of strategy involved and we were the best in the nation because we could ground and pound with anyone, but when that came up short for us, we aired it out and we were just as succesful. Our defense was constantly shutting people out too. When your startegy is to just ground and pound the whole game, you'll win some, and get totally screwed by teams with horrible records because they can hold back the run, and thats all they need to do to keep the game alive for them.

AllI know is we were all CIF and went state...I could pass,run and hit in HS!
When I went to college I was too small for offense...so I was a deep back 'safety'...I used my experience from HS to cover all options the offense could put forward...so like I said earlier... the point is a moot one since 'our' teams never crossed paths!...Carry on though 'Coach'!:)

Cancel7
09-11-2007, 10:46 AM
When I went to college I was too small for offense...so I was a deep back 'safety'...I used my experience from HS to cover all options the offense could put forward...so like I said earlier... the point is a moot one since 'our' teams never crossed paths!...Carry on though 'Coach'!:)

You should have just done what you always do when you have no idea what you are talking about and someone blows your ass out of the water here....post "Yep, that is what i was hinting at as well".

Battleborne
09-11-2007, 10:48 AM
You should have just done what you always do when you have no idea what you are talking about and someone blows your ass out of the water here....post "Yep, that is what i was hinting at as well".

Cheerleaders were only allowed on the sidelines...for just cause....:cof1:

DigitalDave
09-12-2007, 07:41 AM

I also won Fantasy football last year so bleh! I'm the board king of football until this season is over, cause I can't join this years league due to work blocking it. :pke:

Ok, I can go on and on about how I know better than you because of my High School experience, but lets just say personally knowing the Patriots offensive coordinator (Josh McDaniels) helps a little too, and growing up in the heart of Pro Football (Canton, Oh) helps a little too.

DigitalDave
09-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Cheerleaders were only allowed on the sidelines...for just cause....:cof1:

Despite my belief that cheerleaders are not needed at the Pro-level, High School Boys need someone to impress to get their testosterone flowing. Once they hit the Pro-level, less focus needs to be on the girls and more on the opposing team.

Battleborne
09-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Despite my belief that cheerleaders are not needed at the Pro-level, High School Boys need someone to impress to get their testosterone flowing. Once they hit the Pro-level, less focus needs to be on the girls and more on the opposing team.

:rolleyes: Like I said earlier...whatever ya say Big Guy!

DigitalDave
09-12-2007, 09:47 AM
:rolleyes: Like I said earlier...whatever ya say Big Guy!

Damn right!

Battleborne
09-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Damn right!

Now you are scarring me...so Pros no longer like cheerleaders?...They like grab ass with the mates mo betta...Damn no wonder I gave up football after College...I could never get into that!:cof1:

DigitalDave
09-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Now you are scarring me...so Pros no longer like cheerleaders?...They like grab ass with the mates mo betta...Damn no wonder I gave up football after College...I could never get into that!:cof1:

LOL, no you dumbass.... they like the cheerleaders, but by that stage of the game, they already impress the ladies just by being on the field. They don't need cheerleaders to impress because they are busy dating models and hot actresses. That stage of the game they should be more concerned with the opposing team and understanding them rather than impressing ladies... cause they already have impressed them.

Battleborne
09-12-2007, 10:13 AM
LOL, no you dumbass.... they like the cheerleaders, but by that stage of the game, they already impress the ladies just by being on the field. They don't need cheerleaders to impress because they are busy dating models and hot actresses. That stage of the game they should be more concerned with the opposing team and understanding them rather than impressing ladies... cause they already have impressed them.

damn...that really cleared things up...or not...so pros get more eh'...lmao... I am sure the girls are impressed with a bunch of sweaty dudes...grunting for a living...then again maybe ya are right!...lol

DigitalDave
09-12-2007, 10:26 AM
damn...that really cleared things up...or not...so pros get more eh'...lmao... I am sure the girls are impressed with a bunch of sweaty dudes...grunting for a living...then again maybe ya are right!...lol

I am right damnit! LOL

I could sit here like Al Bundy and talk about my High School Career for the rest of my life, I'd get no tail. I'm pretty sure even Terry Bradshaw could pull a better piece of ass showing footage of himself getting slammed by 'Turkey Foot ' Jones using that technique. You only have to get there.. that's all, and you have no problem with the ladies. Maybe you won't get the exact one you want, but nevertheless, you will have no problem getting some when you want to.

Battleborne
09-12-2007, 10:35 AM
I am right damnit! LOL

I could sit here like Al Bundy and talk about my High School Career for the rest of my life, I'd get no tail. I'm pretty sure even Terry Bradshaw could pull a better piece of ass showing footage of himself getting slammed by 'Turkey Foot ' Jones using that technique. You only have to get there.. that's all, and you have no problem with the ladies. Maybe you won't get the exact one you want, but nevertheless, you will have no problem getting some when you want to.

Okee Dokee...as long as ya like to throw out names...I went to school with Hal Bledsoe(sp) and Pete Brethard(sp) (sorry just off the cuff for sp...been awhile since I knew them)...my school...they went on to UCLA and USC then pro...ya sound just like them...lol

DigitalDave
09-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Okee Dokee...as long as ya like to throw out names...I went to school with Hal Bledsoe(sp) and Pete Brethard(sp) (sorry just off the cuff for sp...been awhile since I knew them)...my school...they went on to UCLA and USC then pro...ya sound just like them...lol

Only one of those two names I recognize is Bedsole. Wouldn't doubt that having an NFL quality TE in a Wing T offense would make you think it's the best ever.. lol. Though having a coach who's son is now the youngest NFL O-Coordinator and for an NFL Dynasty, you kind of learn a lot about confusing defenses, not just giving the ball to the most talented and letting them carry your team.

Battleborne
09-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Only one of those two names I recognize is Bedsole. Wouldn't doubt that having an NFL quality TE in a Wing T offense would make you think it's the best ever.. lol. Though having a coach who's son is now the youngest NFL O-Coordinator and for an NFL Dynasty, you kind of learn a lot about confusing defenses, not just giving the ball to the most talented and letting them carry your team.

like I said...whatever/whichever...all is fair in sports,women and good food....and we did not play each others team back in the day...so this is just a moot...yet entertaining diatribe...touche'