PDA

View Full Version : It's been a month. Please vote on your thoughts RE: the "thread ban" feature

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 01:15 AM
Please take this seriously, it's a feature a lot of people like/some dislike, so do not troll this poll. Don't use alts.

Accounts less than 2 months old will not count, as we want people slightly more established with the community.

What are your thoughts on the "thread ban" feature?

Poll is ANON from everyone except mods. So don't be afraid to vote how you really feel.

/MSG/
01-29-2013, 01:25 AM
I like it, tiresome prole abuse aside.

Rune
01-29-2013, 03:09 AM
Since it doesn't work on the only person I really give a shit about banning....

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 03:15 AM
rune please vote.

cancel2 2022
01-29-2013, 03:37 AM
It's a good feature overall, well worth keeping.

Lowaicue
01-29-2013, 04:55 AM
rune please vote.

Hope those who dreamed it up are not allowed to vote. It would add a definite bias.

The Dude
01-29-2013, 05:16 AM
I think you should ban trolls from the site, not let trolls ban the searious from troll threads

apple0154
01-29-2013, 06:39 AM
I agree with The Dude.

I think you should ban trolls from the site, not let trolls ban the searious from troll threads

Also, although there are currently only a couple of troll members the potential exists for more to arrive and effectively split the board. The banned trolls will start their own thread on a specific topic resulting in duplicate threads. It will be a hassle, if not confusing, for newcomers who will be obliged to post their opinions in both threads.

Jarod
01-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Thanks for asking our opinion.

Howey
01-29-2013, 09:01 AM

I agree with The Dude.

Also, although there are currently only a couple of troll members the potential exists for more to arrive and effectively split the board. The banned trolls will start their own thread on a specific topic resulting in duplicate threads. It will be a hassle, if not confusing, for newcomers who will be obliged to post their opinions in both threads.

I'm with you guys. Get rid of the two trolls and all will be fine.

I've noticed a distinct improvement of post quality in threads due to their absence.

cancel2 2022
01-29-2013, 09:20 AM
I'm with you guys. Get rid of the two trolls and all will be fine.

I've noticed a distinct improvement of post quality in threads due to their absence.

Certainly better since Bijou went.

Cancel 2016.2
01-29-2013, 09:23 AM

Just curious... but if you don't like the trolls, why would you want to post in the trolls threads?

The Dude
01-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Just curious... but if you don't like the trolls, why would you want to post in the trolls threads?
I don't consider you a troll, even though a decent number of your post are retarded

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Hope those who dreamed it up are not allowed to vote. It would add a definite bias.

why? just because I had the idea doesn't mean I can't like or dislike it on it's own merits. I am user of this board as well, and it's a feature that effects me as it does anyone else.

SJJRSJJS
01-29-2013, 10:42 AM
I personally will not ban anyone and if I got banned, so what, been there done that. If "you" cannot stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen. All these supposed troll names being thrown around are all Greek to me, to pun intended.

Cancel 2016.2
01-29-2013, 11:04 AM
I don't consider you a troll, even though a decent number of your post are retarded

Thanks for again proving you are incapable of actually comprehending what you read. Were you too confused to answer the question toppy?

Cancel 2016.11
01-29-2013, 11:07 AM
This reminds me of someone here, but I can't put my finger on who...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRi_vlg_rEXvwdqvndZPcyNx6t6WYMfx jHhYOY1yyk9huWR8-or

canceled.2021.1
01-29-2013, 11:15 AM

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRi_vlg_rEXvwdqvndZPcyNx6t6WYMfx jHhYOY1yyk9huWR8-or

Racist

Minister of Truth
01-29-2013, 12:00 PM
I agree with The Dude.

Traditionally, troll votes don't count. I would assume Gribd is not counting pure troll votes such as Ivan or Legion.

Cancel 2018. 3
01-29-2013, 01:08 PM
i think it had good intentions, but overall a negative effect. a few people have abused it to merely ban people they don't agree with politically and that doesn't do the board any overall good and many threads have simply become echo chambers.

Cancel 2020.1
01-29-2013, 01:34 PM
I don't use it, but wholeheartedly support it.

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 02:57 PM
thing1, please cast your vote. you didn't do it.

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 03:00 PM
i think it had good intentions, but overall a negative effect. a few people have abused it to merely ban people they don't agree with politically and that doesn't do the board any overall good and many threads have simply become echo chambers.

in my experience, I haven't seen much of this. Yes, a few people end up being banned, and that's to be expected. Some have banned those that they disagree with, but I don't believe it's BECAUSE they disagree with them. I say this because it's very rare that every single conservative, or even more than 1 or 2, is banned from a thread started by a liberal, and vice versa. The vast majority of those banning people from their threads are banning users that they personally feel would just drag the thread down, derail it, troll it, or simply not be useful to the discussion.

If thread creators were interested in just not having anyone that would disagree with them, more than 1-2 posters would be thread banned. But that doesn't happen. It's usually just problem users.

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Thanks for asking our opinion.

The community here and what they think is paramount. As always. JPP would never do anything that the majority of the community would disagree with.

Cancel 2016.11
01-29-2013, 03:05 PM
in my experience, I haven't seen much of this. Yes, a few people end up being banned, and that's to be expected. Some have banned those that they disagree with, but I don't believe it's BECAUSE they disagree with them. I say this because it's very rare that every single conservative, of even more than 1 or 2, is banned from a thread started by a liberal, and vice versa. The vast majority of those banning people from their threads are banning users that they personally feel would just drag the thread down, derail it, troll it, or simply not be useful to the discussion.

If thread creators were interested in just not having anyone that would disagree with them, more than 1-2 posters would be thread banned. But that doesn't happen. It's usually just problem users.

I don't even ban people who ban me from their threads. That's petty stuff for petty minds.

I think it's being used fine. But that's just my opinion.

Cancel 2018. 3
01-29-2013, 03:08 PM
in my experience, I haven't seen much of this. Yes, a few people end up being banned, and that's to be expected. Some have banned those that they disagree with, but I don't believe it's BECAUSE they disagree with them. I say this because it's very rare that every single conservative, of even more than 1 or 2, is banned from a thread started by a liberal, and vice versa. The vast majority of those banning people from their threads are banning users that they personally feel would just drag the thread down, derail it, troll it, or simply not be useful to the discussion.

or simply people they don't like, i should have been more clear on that. like i said, it is just a few people, and it has created somewhat of an echo chamber on this board. i don't know the stats, but it sure looks like posting is way down since this was implemented.

if does not add value and instead inhibits more open discussions. if the people don't want to view someone's posts, the ignore feature seems a more viable option.

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 03:16 PM
or simply people they don't like, i should have been more clear on that. like i said, it is just a few people, and it has created somewhat of an echo chamber on this board. i don't know the stats, but it sure looks like posting is way down since this was implemented.

if does not add value and instead inhibits more open discussions. if the people don't want to view someone's posts, the ignore feature seems a more viable option.

An echo chamber was initially one of my main concerns, but I don't see the evidence for it, one cannot create an echo chamber by just banning 1 or 2 users from their threads. You are trying to create this picture where conversation is stifled, but often times all that is stifled is blatant sexism, racism, crude jokes, trolling, and flaming.

Also I don't think posting has slowed. Though we did just come off the holidays.

Gun related issues just by themselves have gotten > 12k posts in about a month. Just gun talk alone.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree, but from my view, I open a lot of threads now, and with a few certain users banned from those threads I notice the discussion in them is more vibrant and not as reduced to name calling and mudslinging. I would honestly describe it as a breath of fresh air, knowing I am going to get to read a thread without it degenerating into crap.

That's just my perspective though and I appreciate others have different points of view.

canceled.2021.1
01-29-2013, 03:30 PM
An echo chamber was initially one of my main concerns, but I don't see the evidence for it, one cannot create an echo chamber by just banning 1 or 2 users from their threads. You are trying to create this picture where conversation is stifled, but often times all that is stifled is blatant sexism, racism, crude jokes, trolling, and flaming.

Also I don't think posting has slowed. Though we did just come off the holidays.

Gun related issues just by themselves have gotten > 12k posts in about a month. Just gun talk alone.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree, but from my view, I open a lot of threads now, and with a few certain users banned from those threads I notice the discussion in them is more vibrant and not as reduced to name calling and mudslinging. I would honestly describe it as a breath of fresh air, knowing I am going to get to read a thread without it degenerating into crap.

That's just my perspective though and I appreciate others have different points of view.

I think life on JPP is much more enjoyable now that Howey is on IA and perma ban ed

Cancel 2018. 3
01-29-2013, 03:49 PM

fair enough. but when you have certain users banning poster(s) just for spite, it does not do the board any good. what if it is a hot topic issue, the poster(s) are left out of the discussion entirely as they are not allowed to post another thread on this issue.

that is not what JPP stands for, at least i don't believe it does as JPP stands for being one of the most tolerant boards. yet, giving mod powers to spiteful posters, inhibits more open discussions and truly negates the freedom that JPP stands for. if you want to alter that, then by all means, have at it.

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 03:56 PM
fair enough. but when you have certain users banning poster(s) just for spite, it does not do the board any good. what if it is a hot topic issue, the poster(s) are left out of the discussion entirely as they are not allowed to post another thread on this issue.

that is not what JPP stands for, at least i don't believe it does as JPP stands for being one of the most tolerant boards. yet, giving mod powers to spiteful posters, inhibits more open discussions and truly negates the freedom that JPP stands for. if you want to alter that, then by all means, have at it.

Well I would say in most cases that does not happen. But I think if the vote passes to keep it, the novelty will wear off of "sticking it to people" and more and more it will be reserved for those that are just known to cause trouble. TBH, it's kind of a bother to always type out all the names you want to ban... so I think eventually it will (and to an extent already has) self select to get rid of trolls and not just people one disagrees with.

Cancel 2018. 3
01-29-2013, 03:56 PM
I think life on JPP is much more enjoyable now that Howey is on IA and perma ban ed

says the king of the echo chamber

Cancel 2018. 3
01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Well I would say in most cases that does not happen. But I think if the vote passes to keep it, the novelty will wear off of "sticking it to people" and more and more it will be reserved for those that are just known to cause trouble. TBH, it's kind of a bother to always type out all the names you want to ban... so I think eventually it will (and to an extent already has) self select to get rid of trolls and not just people one disagrees with.

the vote will pass, i have no doubt. it is just annoying when there is a hot topic issue and a certain poster posts it first and then i and others can't discuss the topic. as i said, it inhibits more open discussions and limits participation simply based on spite.

howey is the perfect example.

Cancel 2020.1
01-29-2013, 03:59 PM

Just voted. And the threads are better; there is actual discussion for the first time in ages. I haven't seen one thread that has excluded someone who can really add something, whether they're on the left or right or wherever.

Cancel 2018. 3
01-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Just voted. And the threads are better; there is actual discussion for the first time in ages. I haven't seen one thread that has excluded someone who can really add something, whether they're on the left or right or wherever.

so you admit darla, rana and howey really add nothing

interesting to know that

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 04:17 PM
the vote will pass, i have no doubt. it is just annoying when there is a hot topic issue and a certain poster posts it first and then i and others can't discuss the topic. as i said, it inhibits more open discussions and limits participation simply based on spite.

not everyone has weighed in yet, it's actually kinda close. Closer than I thought it would be, actually.

Cancel 2020.1
01-29-2013, 04:18 PM
not everyone has weighed in yet, it's actually kinda close. Closer than I thought it would be, actually.

Trolls can be rather fierce about their right to troll unfettered.

Cancel 2016.11
01-29-2013, 04:21 PM

LOL I was reading this and thinking something very similar.

Cancel 2018. 3
01-29-2013, 04:42 PM

perhaps...14 to 9 against

Cancel 2018. 3
01-29-2013, 04:43 PM

who has defended the right to troll onceler? let me guess...another onceler "truthiness"

nothing has changed with you, why you changed your user completely is beyond me, you're still the same whiny troll

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 04:48 PM
perhaps...14 to 9 against

technically 15-9. A certain member told me they accidentally voted for neutral on their phone when they meant to vote positive.

cancel2 2022
01-29-2013, 05:02 PM
technically 15-9. A certain member told me they accidentally voted for neutral on their phone when they meant to vote positive.

Why was the poll private?

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Why was the poll private?

i dont know I thought some people may not want to start drama or get called out for siding one way or the other. if people want I can release who voted which way once it's done

Cancel 2018. 3
01-29-2013, 05:28 PM
could you vote for more than one option? 32 is a high number for a poll on JPP.

Howey
01-29-2013, 05:35 PM
i dont know I thought some people may not want to start drama or get called out for siding one way or the other. if people want I can release who voted which way once it's done

Dare tell!

lol...

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2962/whambulance.gif (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/whambulance.gif/)

Rune
01-29-2013, 05:56 PM
when there is a hot topic issue and a certain poster posts it first and then others can't discuss the topic

This is a valid point.

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 06:05 PM
could you vote for more than one option? 32 is a high number for a poll on JPP.

nope.

I just spammed every active users wall. :)

canceled.2021.1
01-29-2013, 06:46 PM
says the king of the echo chamber

Just because you live to bitch and moan at others, doesn't mean others do.

What echo chamber? I thread ban the same douche tips consistently. I don't thread ban all lefties.

You live to be pissed at Darla and Howey. I don't think they are worth the time. Maybe you disagree but I think the board is better off without me and Howey sniping back and forth.

You enjoy and live for the constant sniping at them. Life is too short. Hell I agree with you on almost every political issue, but you really are a whiny bitch

canceled.2021.1
01-29-2013, 06:49 PM
who has defended the right to troll onceler? let me guess...another onceler "truthiness"

nothing has changed with you, why you changed your user completely is beyond me, you're still the same whiny troll

More irony?

I am going to start calling you WBAM for Whine Bitch and Moan

Cancel 2018. 3
01-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Just because you live to bitch and moan at others, doesn't mean others do.

What echo chamber? I thread ban the same douche tips consistently. I don't thread ban all lefties.

You live to be pissed at Darla and Howey. I don't think they are worth the time. Maybe you disagree but I think the board is better off without me and Howey sniping back and forth.

You enjoy and live for the constant sniping at them. Life is too short. Hell I agree with you on almost every political issue, but you really are a whiny bitch

More irony?

I am going to start calling you WBAM for Whine Bitch and Moan

my lord, you are a whiny tool...do you not have any self awareness?

keep up the echo chamber, you aren't good at handling opposing viewpoints, you meltdown and get all pissy

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 07:00 PM

lol. i think you are officially on yurts shit list now. welcome to the club O_O

canceled.2021.1
01-29-2013, 07:04 PM
my lord, you are a whiny tool...do you not have any self awareness?

keep up the echo chamber, you aren't good at handling opposing viewpoints, you meltdown and get all pissy

I don't think you really understand what an echo chamber is.

And trust me, I am a lot of things, an asshole, crude, rideable obnoxious. But, I do not whine about a message board and I am very self aware.

Here is a thought experiment. Since you seem to have a bitch fest with just about everyone on this board, maybe just maybe it might be you. Just a thought.

canceled.2021.1
01-29-2013, 07:06 PM
lol. i think you are officially on yurts shit list now. welcome to the club O_O

Who knew Darla and I would eventually have something in common. I may even have to start cutting her some slack on this one issue.

I may just start really fucking with him and stop thread banning Gowey and Darla and just thread ban Yurt :)

Cancel 2018. 3
01-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Who knew Darla and I would eventually have something in common. I may even have to start cutting her some slack on this one issue.

I may just start really fucking with him and stop thread banning Gowey and Darla and just thread ban Yurt :)

perfect example of why the thread banning doesn't work grind

butt hurt posters like ILA...

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2013, 07:09 PM
/shrugs.....this can only be used by the person who starts the thread.....I've started about ten threads in four years.....it is totally meaningless to me.....

canceled.2021.1
01-29-2013, 07:10 PM
perfect example of why the thread banning doesn't work grind

butt hurt posters like ILA...

WBAM strikes again

:rofl2:

Cancel 2018. 3
01-29-2013, 07:11 PM
I don't think you really understand what an echo chamber is.

And trust me, I am a lot of things, an asshole, crude, rideable obnoxious. But, I do not whine about a message board and I am very self aware.

Here is a thought experiment. Since you seem to have a bitch fest with just about everyone on this board, maybe just maybe it might be you. Just a thought.

actually i don't. just the assholes or when a poster is being an obnoxious ass kisser. think about it, the same people who don't like you, don't like me. unlike them, however, i don't walk in lock step and call out bullshit on both sides. you just get all butt hurt when your bullshit is called so you thread ban people.

tff

canceled.2021.1
01-29-2013, 07:14 PM
actually i don't. just the assholes or when a poster is being an obnoxious ass kisser. think about it, the same people who don't like you, don't like me. unlike them, however, i don't walk in lock step and call out bullshit on both sides. you just get all butt hurt when your bullshit is called so you thread ban people.

tff

Here is some aloe. Rub it on your lady parts and maybe they will feel better

Cancel 2018. 3
01-29-2013, 07:16 PM
see...you're getting all butt hurt again

lighten up

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 07:32 PM
yurt I still think you rock. This place would def be different without you.

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 07:39 PM
http://i.imgur.com/OMq9ffC.png

politic forums are weird.

/MSG/
01-29-2013, 07:39 PM
fair enough. but when you have certain users banning poster(s) just for spite, it does not do the board any good. what if it is a hot topic issue, the poster(s) are left out of the discussion entirely as they are not allowed to post another thread on this issue..

Yes, you may start a thread on it. I've had to reduce my love for merging because of thread bans. I want people to be able to discuss an issue of their choosing, and if they're banned from a thread, how can they do that? You'll note that My thread about women in combat and SRs thread are the same in topic. Yet Darla and several other are banned from my thread (and every other thread I shall ever make ever). But that's a decision made by me as a poster. As a mod, I realize they may also want to discuss it and cannot if it's merged with my thread. Therefore, I have to concede and let there be more threads on the same topic.

Cancel 2016.11
01-29-2013, 07:40 PM
yurt I still think you rock. This place would def be different without you.

Man look how soft you are. You feel sorry for him and are throwing him a pity post.

Cancel 2016.11
01-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Yes, you may start a thread on it. I've had to reduce my love for merging because of thread bans. I want people to be able to discuss an issue of their choosing, and if they're banned from a thread, how can they do that? You'll note that My thread about women in combat and SRs thread are the same in topic. Yet Darla and several other are banned from my thread (and every other thread I shall ever make ever). But that's a decision made by me as a poster. As a mod, I realize they may also want to discuss it and cannot if it's merged with my thread. Therefore, I have to concede and let there be more threads on the same topic.

You can post on my threads billy. I don't ban you from them. Mostly because I know you are usually too busy rubbing ointment on your ass to find them.

Rune
01-29-2013, 07:47 PM

Politics makes strange bedfellows.

canceled.2021.1
01-29-2013, 07:49 PM

See what fucking Yurt has reduced me to?

DAMN YOU YURT!!!!!!! DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!

Cancel 2018. 3
01-29-2013, 07:49 PM
i'm awesome at bringing people together

mission accomplished :)

Minister of Truth
01-29-2013, 07:59 PM
It's a dumb feature.

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 08:13 PM
lol wtf is going on:

http://i.imgur.com/QL2PhlY.png

BRUTALITOPS
01-29-2013, 08:14 PM
It's a dumb feature.

you're a dumb feature.

Cancel 2018. 3
01-29-2013, 08:53 PM
lol wtf is going on:

http://i.imgur.com/QL2PhlY.png

the power of yurt

PostmodernProphet
01-29-2013, 10:16 PM
"strange bedfellows" et al.......how could you even consider getting rid of a feature that so effectively fucks with people's minds that they will "thank" their worst enemies......

canceled.2021.1
01-29-2013, 11:46 PM
"strange bedfellows" et al.......how could you even consider getting rid of a feature that so effectively fucks with Yurts mind that they will "thank" their worst enemies......

Fixed it :)

Minister of Truth
01-30-2013, 02:28 AM
What's up with all the pussies voting neutral? This is a fucking political forum, people! Fucking vote yes or no on this shitty feature, already!

I'm Watermark
01-30-2013, 06:58 AM
What's up with all the pussies voting neutral? This is a fucking political forum, people! Fucking vote yes or no on this shitty feature, already!

Your side is still loosing. :whome:

canceled.2021.1
01-30-2013, 07:39 AM

They would be what we call political moderates and who we are told to all emulate

PostmodernProphet
01-30-2013, 07:45 AM
I had to vote neutral....."who gives a fuck" was not an available option.....

Bonestorm
01-30-2013, 09:29 AM
I haven't been banned from any threads so I don't know that my opinion is at all valuable. The assholes still exist.

Mott the Hoople
01-30-2013, 09:45 AM
I haven't been banned from any threads so I don't know that my opinion is at all valuable. The assholes still exist.Yup.....and I aint going anywhere either! :)

apple0154
01-30-2013, 10:38 AM

You doubt you would want to put your finger on them. :lol:

apple0154
01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
/shrugs.....this can only be used by the person who starts the thread.....I've started about ten threads in four years.....it is totally meaningless to me.....

Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure someone found something meaningful in your threads. :)

apple0154
01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Another neutral vote.

canceled.2021.1
01-30-2013, 11:24 AM
I think we should leave something this important up to the electoral college

Minister of Truth
01-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Your side is still loosing. :whome:

Everyone is losing.

BRUTALITOPS
01-30-2013, 04:20 PM
apple answer my god damn pm!

I'm Watermark
01-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Everyone is losing.

Cept me. Benito's ignoring my vote, so I'm not even playing. ;)

apple0154
01-30-2013, 06:42 PM
apple answer my god damn pm!

I just did!. I was busy all afternoon looking at porn! A guy can't even have a little time to himself around here. :mad: :rant:

BRUTALITOPS
01-30-2013, 07:03 PM
does anyone care If I post the results with who voted what? dont wont to go back on my initial statement if anyone has a poblem with it. speak now via pm to me or forever hold your peace. we are probably calling this either late tonight or sometime tomorrow.

/MSG/
01-30-2013, 07:05 PM
I voted for everything.

cancel2 2022
01-31-2013, 03:56 AM
does anyone care If I post the results with who voted what? dont wont to go back on my initial statement if anyone has a poblem with it. speak now via pm to me or forever hold your peace. we are probably calling this either late tonight or sometime tomorrow.

IT would be good to see who voted and how.

christiefan915
01-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Not a problem. I voted KEEP IT. There might be a few problems with it, but it's overall a NET POSITIVE.

Damocles
01-31-2013, 11:29 AM
I voted neutral...

Cancel 2020.1
01-31-2013, 11:49 AM

I can guess pretty accurately how everyone voted.

BRUTALITOPS
01-31-2013, 12:13 PM
I can guess pretty accurately how everyone voted.

haha ok, give it a shot. lets see how right you are :)

Cancel 2016.2
01-31-2013, 12:18 PM

he was busy playing with his thing 2

Cancel 2016.2
01-31-2013, 12:22 PM

Those are predictably the Obama followers... must... vote... present