PDA

View Full Version : NEW JPP FEATURE - Everyone now has the ability to BAN anyone from threads they start

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 03:41 AM
We have recently installed a new feature on JPP that (imo) has been a long time coming. It's something us mods have been discussing for almost 2 months now, and it's available to all users on this site.

Every time you now start a new thread, you will see this dialogue box:

http://i.imgur.com/Aw0Bh.png

Which allows you to preemptively ban any number of people you so choose from participating in your threads.

**Being banned from a thread means you will no longer be able to post in it, however you'll still be able to read it.**

Now, obviously this could have some... interesting implications for JPP, and it's not something we just put in place without a fair amount of contemplation. I think this is far and away a positive addition, but there are some potential cons to it as well (which I will be addressing in a moment), and as such, we will treat this first month (up til late January) as a trial run of sorts. If for whatever reason JPP doesn't like this, we'll take it out. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, right now, for at least the short term, lets give it a shot.

So, lets discuss the pros and cons of this:

Pros:

- Gives more power to the community in order to police themselves.

- Is an effective sanction against trolls and chronic "problem posters." If the community as a whole rejects them, then pretty soon they are going to find themselves on the outside looking in, their voice and participation marginalized.

- Allows you to start a thread and have an increased say on the type of direction it will have, by being able to eliminate those you know won't be productive participants in your discussion.

Cons:

- The one major con I see is here is the potential for JPP to be turned into a giant echo chamber. At the end of the day, JPP is a discussion board. It's built on people actively disagreeing with each other, sometimes very vehemently and passionately. It's why we all come here, and while sometimes we might want to just say "fuck that idiot, we'll never agree", other people might still find value in the discussion. We don't want to turn into a bunch of isolated threads where only people that already agree with each other are posting.

- People "Revenge banning." They are banned from one thread, so now they never forget it and ban that person from every thread of theirs, even if the other person may not actually be much of a problem.

As to the first con, I think we can be mostly ok from things getting too far out of hand. I feel that the ban option is convenient enough to be used frequently, but in terms of banning every single possible person someone might want to keep out, that would take a bit of effort. As such, I think this system self-selects for the worst of the worst being shut out, and will more often than not stop at that point.

Also I do for the most part trust in JPP's sense of the difference between someone that just merely makes you roll your eyes/someone you merely disagree with vs. a huge asshole beyond redemption.

Additional Information:

- Mods can ban users even after threads are created (it's just the way the plugin works). If you forgot about somebody to add to your ban list, or someone signed up a new account to troll you, or someone all of a sudden turned into an asshole when you weren't anticipating them to, just ask us and we will remove them from the thread for you. (Note: we will only take requests from the thread starters) (no longer doing this)

- Yes, you can ban us Mods from threads as well, and we will respect your wishes. However, a quick note, our ability to post isn't actually taken away, instead we just get a notification that looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/rgw12.png

As such, there MIGHT be a time where we miss the notification. Just politely point it out to us and we will be on our way. We do have to allow for the exception to post in the event we need to step in to mod the thread. But other than that we'll stay away.

- Mods aren't going to mediate who is allowed to be banned, who isn't allowed to be banned, whether or not a thread ban was "unfair" or "mean" or "uncalled for" or "wrong" etc. Everyone is free to set their own standards. If you get banned, suck it up.

- Adding to the point above, do not make threads about how someone just banned you, or go into other threads whining about why you were banned, etc.

Final Comments and Recommendations:

These are just some final thoughts, but I would like to implore you to at least consider my advice.

For those that Ban:

"With great power, comes great responsibility"

- As I said above, we aren't going to be getting involved in who should or shouldn't be threadbanned, that's entirely up to you. However, please make an effort to only ban those that are truly trolls, unnecessarily mean, or those that do not post in good faith and are there just to fuck your shit up.

Ask yourself, "is this person sincere and will they be overall respectful to myself and others in this thread?" If the answer is yes, let them stay.

Additionally, keep an open mind for those that make a sincere effort to change their ways as a result of being banned by you. If they try to make a real effort to change their ways, think about giving them a second chance.

For those that Got Banned:

- First thing first, chill the fuck out. You can still read the thread, you can still start your own thread on the same topic, you can still post all over JPP. It's not the end of the world. It's one thread. Do not endlessly bother the person that banned you, do not contact us mods over it, do not make threads about it or posts about it.. etc. The best thing is to just be an adult and move on.

If you get thread banned, you likely fall into one of two categories:

1) Someone that doesn't care about the Banners reasoning, and is unwilling to bend:

Result: sorry there isn't much helping you. You might be fully justified in thinking the banner is an idiot. But they made a decision and if you aren't willing to play by their standards, you probably will continue to be locked out of their threads

2) You've been misunderstood, perhaps you've crossed the line at points but you are willing to make some changes

In this scenario, find out why it is you were banned, message them politely, and make a real effort to change your behavior. If you are sincere they will hopefully see that and in the longrun you'll be brought back into the fold.

- Please do not revenge ban. Keep in mind that even if you dont like the person for banning you, that person may still be a productive contributor in your thread. When you ban someone you are also removing the ability for the rest of JPP to see what they may have to say on a particular matter. So unless you don't have more cause to ban someone other than "they banned me first," try to take the high road.

Thanks everyone! Hope you like it!

Rune
12-30-2012, 04:44 AM
Check this out grind.

Howey
12-30-2012, 04:48 AM
I see a massive Yurt meltdown in the very near future.

:)

Cancel 2016.11
12-30-2012, 04:57 AM
I bet you anything that someone contacts you whining about being "unfairly"banned from someone's thread.

Cancel 2016.11
12-30-2012, 04:58 AM
I see a massive Yurt meltdown in the very near future.

LOL

It's going to cause a shitstorm for some I'm sure. Me, I couldn't care less and probably won't even notice. I will def use it for those I consider trolls though. Assholes don't need to worry. Just trolls.

Howey
12-30-2012, 05:02 AM
LOL

It's going to cause a shitstorm for some I'm sure. Me, I couldn't care less and probably won't even notice. I will def use it for those I consider trolls though. Assholes don't need to worry. Just trolls.

That's the idea behind it. It's insanely genius, but look for even more Yurwhine.

/MSG/
12-30-2012, 05:11 AM
Cons:

- The one major con I see is here is the potential for JPP to be turned into a giant echo chamber. At the end of the day, JPP is a discussion board. It's built on people actively disagreeing with each other, sometimes very vehemently and passionately. It's why we all come here, and while sometimes we might want to just say "fuck that idiot, we'll never agree", other people might still find value in the discussion. We don't want to turn into a bunch of isolated threads where only people that already agree with each other are posting.

Keep this in mind. If at ANY TIME we here feel that JPP has become a circlejerk, we will remove this option. So don't abuse this.

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 06:03 AM
Keep this in mind. If at ANY TIME we here feel that JPP has become a circlejerk, we will remove this option. So don't abuse this.

It would be useful if the banned posters were aware of it without having to find out when they try to post to a thread.

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 06:06 AM
That's the idea behind it. It's insanely genius, but look for even more Yurwhine.

Yurt does whine and I have fought with him many times about it but he is also highly intelligent, logical (perhaps too much on occasion) and non partisan for the most part.

Rune
12-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Yurt does whine and I have fought with him many times about it but he is also highly intelligent, logical (perhaps too much on occasion) and non partisan for the most part.

Bullshit you freak. He is entirely partisan. Check out this thread http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?48096-Damo

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 07:25 AM
Bullshit you freak. He is entirely partisan. Check out this thread http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?48096-Damo

Oh dear, did the Syltelabb start repeating on you? Yurt is more complex than that, unlike you who is an open book for the most part and is entirely predictable on virtually everything apart from gun control which did surprise me immensely.

Rune
12-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Oh dear, did the Syltelabb start repeating on you? Yurt is more complex than that, unlike you who is an open book for the most part and is entirely predictable on virtually everything apart from gun control which did surprise me immensely.

Open enough to surprise you immensely. Nice self-contradictory statement, idiot.

FYI, yurt is less complex than that. By far.

Now you are almost as simple as he is.

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Open enough to surprise you immensely. Nice self-contradictory statement, idiot.

FYI, yurt is less complex than that. By far.

Now you are almost as simple as he is.

Apparently the word virtually is not understandable by you.

unlike you who is an open book for the most part and is entirely predictable on virtually everything apart from gun control which did surprise me immensely.

PostmodernProphet
12-30-2012, 08:46 AM
this has got to be the stupidest thing anyone has ever come up with.....

Althea
12-30-2012, 08:52 AM
this has got to be the stupidest thing anyone has ever come up with.....Agree. Whereas it will bump the hits/activity here, which is obviously the number one concern, this will come back to bite staff in the ass.

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 08:54 AM

Don't burst their bubble already? I am sure that they gave lots of thought to this little endeavor. I love the idea of kicking Homo Howey to the curb

Howey
12-30-2012, 08:57 AM

That's what I'm afraid of. Perhaps the guilty one will realize it only makes him more of a troll if he tries to usurp the feature.

Sorry, Tom, but I have to side with Rune on this one. Yurt may be intelligent at some level, but comparing him with other conservatives on here, that's not saying much. He's also childish, immature, smarmy, and insulting. Is he partisan? From what I can tell from the few formative posts he has, I'd say yes; but that's always a difficult conclusion to make when he'd rather argue than make a viable point.

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 09:00 AM
He's also childish, immature, smarmy, and insulting.

being ironic again?

:rofl2:

Althea
12-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Sorry, Tom, but I have to side with Rune on this one. Yurt may be intelligent at some level, but comparing him with other conservatives on here, that's not saying much. He's also childish, immature, smarmy, and insulting. Is he partisan? From what I can tell from the few formative posts he has, I'd say yes; but that's always a difficult conclusion to make when he'd rather argue than make a viable point.There's nothing wrong with partisanship, provided you are willing to offer facts during the discussion.

Howey
12-30-2012, 09:04 AM
There's nothing wrong with partisanship, provided you are willing to offer facts during the discussion.

That's my point. He rarely does.

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 09:07 AM
That's my point. He rarely does.

Is today Irony Sunday?

Althea
12-30-2012, 09:10 AM
That's my point. He rarely does.Well then...the problem isn't that you are dealing with a partisan. It's that you're dealing with a moron.

Howey
12-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Well then...the problem isn't that you are dealing with a partisan. It's that you're dealing with a moron.

Yup.

christiefan915
12-30-2012, 09:56 AM

!!??!! This is the guy who equates guns with cars, where's the logic in that?

Howey
12-30-2012, 10:04 AM
lol...ILA advertises who can't post in his threads?

My Personal Ban From Thread List

Howey
Darla
Evince
Rune
Rana
Bijou
The Kicker of Elves
The Juice is Loose
The Dude

Doesn't matter. Nobody reads your shit anyhow. Like USF, most of your threads go untouched. :)

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 10:08 AM

Doesn't matter. Nobody reads your shit anyhow. Like USF, most of your threads go untouched. :)

So says the douche who took the time to copy and paste from one thread to this thread.

So let's walk through this OK. You said nobody reads my shit anyhow, yet in order for you to have copied and pasted the list, you would have had to read my shit right? Your online breakdown is complete. I own your ass. You will read every post of mine. You have to. You can't not do it. You look for ways to be offended and whine and cry. It is the little whiney bitch that you are.

Timshel
12-30-2012, 10:12 AM
More power to the people is usually better. I can't see why you'd want to ban people that are going to disagree. What's the point then?

One question, though, are you able to threadban someone after discussion has been ongoing or only when the the thread is created?

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 10:14 AM
More power to the people is usually better. I can't see why you'd want to ban people that are going to disagree. What's the point then?

One question, though, are you able to threadban someone after discussion has been ongoing or only when the the thread is created?

I think it is a dumb ass idea, but if the mods want it, I would feel remiss in not giving them what they want ;)

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 10:32 AM
I think it is a dumb ass idea, but if the mods want it, I would feel remiss in not giving them what they want ;)

Guess how many threads you will be banned from?

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 10:34 AM
!!??!! This is the guy who equates guns with cars, where's the logic in that?

Yet Yurt and Rune, who are polls apart otherwise, think that guns are sacrosanct. How do you explain that?

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 10:36 AM

Don't care

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 10:37 AM

BTW there is already a loophole

;)

cawacko
12-30-2012, 10:43 AM

You've stated before anyone who puts someone else on IA is a coward. But now you think its genius to be able to ban people from threads?

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 10:47 AM
You've stated before anyone who puts someone else on IA is a coward. But now you think its genius to be able to ban people from threads?

He is being ironic again. Just like when he said he doesn't read my posts while copying and pasting my post from one thread to another

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Don't care

You spend a fuckton of time on here posting so forgive me if I don't believe you.

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 10:50 AM
You spend a fuckton of time on here posting so forgive me if I don't believe you.

I can still post. :)

And I don't give a fuck what you believe or don't believe. Hell you claimed to have me on IA.

I am too fascinating to put on ignore :)

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 10:51 AM
I can still post. :)

And I don't give a fuck what you believe or don't believe. Hell you claimed to have me on IA.

I am too fascinating to put on ignore :)

I did have you on ignore and I took you off.

Banned
12-30-2012, 10:55 AM
I did have you on ignore and I took you off.

I have ILA on ignore, but view a post of his every now and again.

christiefan915
12-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Yet Yurt and Rune, who are polls apart otherwise, think that guns are sacrosanct. How do you explain that?

I can't. But I believe that yurt's (and some others, to be fair) arguments that cars can be equated to guns is pure idiocy. I'd love to see evidence of that pairing marked "correct" on an analogy test.

Another thing, I stopped reading the gun threads many days ago. It was too disheartening.

Banned
12-30-2012, 10:56 AM
WOW! Grind must have taken me off of thread ban. I can post!

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 10:57 AM
I have ILA on ignore, but view a post of his every now and again.

Then you don't have me on ignore

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 11:12 AM
I can't. But I believe that yurt's (and some others, to be fair) arguments that cars can be equated to guns is pure idiocy. I'd love to see evidence of that pairing marked "correct" on an analogy test.

Another thing, I stopped reading the gun threads many days ago. It was too disheartening.

There is a lot of stuff that Yurt posts that I don't agree with but I gave up trying to understand US gun culture and mentality years ago. There is no country in the world that is even close to the lunacy of the US with guns. I was marvelling at Mott saying the other day that he banned people from sites for not wearing hard hats and toe protectors yet total morons are allowed to have private arsenals.

Damocles
12-30-2012, 11:35 AM

It's possible, and if it is, it will go away soon.

Damocles
12-30-2012, 11:38 AM

Only at creation, however we will add people to the list if requested to by the thread starter. The modification only allows moderators to change the list once the thread has been created.

Cancel 2018. 3
12-30-2012, 11:38 AM
i see my fans can't stop talking about me

Damocles
12-30-2012, 11:40 AM
i see my fans can't stop talking about me

You know they'll miss you...

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 12:10 PM
It's possible, and if it is, it will go away soon.

Pay him no mind, his default setting is curmudgeon.

Cancel 2016.11
12-30-2012, 12:30 PM

Are you calling Grind an idiot?

Calm down Cawacko, I'll hardly ban you from most of my threads...

Banned
12-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Wasn't that Grind who put me on ignore way back when?
I convinced Damo that Moderators could not put anyone on ignore.

cawacko
12-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Are you calling Grind an idiot?

Calm down Cawacko, I'll hardly ban you from most of my threads...

I'm just not wired to take that big of a risk. I couldn't imagine you posting and me not being able to reach out to you. I'm really having trouble with this new ruling.

Cancel 2016.11
12-30-2012, 12:39 PM

I don't know, but I know Billy has some posters on ignore. He must have posted at least 10 times that he has me on it...he's such an attention whore.

Cancel 2016.11
12-30-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm just not wired to take that big of a risk. I couldn't imagine you posting and me not being able to reach out to you. I'm really having trouble with this new ruling.

hahhaha. Very cute Cawacko.

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 12:47 PM

ignore list is not the same as threadban list

you are not on ignore

though you were on my ignore list a long long time ago, before your first exodus from JPP.

Rune
12-30-2012, 12:48 PM

Funny, you have no problem ignoring me, one of the most enlightened posters here.

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 12:49 PM

if you are threadbanned, you can still read the thread, you can still start your own thread, still pm people, still post visitor messages, etc... there are plenty of opportunities for you to reach out to a person if you get threadbanned. And if you are a nice enough person (which you are) if you end up thread banned by someone, you can probably convince them not to in the future.

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 12:52 PM
update: everyone can see the list of banned users from a particular thread now, it will be in the top left corner above the reply button

cawacko
12-30-2012, 12:52 PM
if you are threadbanned, you can still read the thread, you can still start your own thread, still pm people, still post visitor messages, etc... there are plenty of opportunities for you to reach out to a person if you get threadbanned. And if you are a nice enough person (which you are) if you end up thread banned by someone, you can probably convince them not to in the future.

I was just messing around saying that. The rule doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Cancel 2016.11
12-30-2012, 12:53 PM

You know he was being facetious right? That wasn't an overwrought scene from a low-rent cyber remake of Titanic...plus I'd never ban Cawacko from anything.

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 12:56 PM
You know he was being facetious right? That wasn't an overwrought scene from a low-rent cyber remake of Titanic...plus I'd never ban Cawacko from anything.

i realized after I posted. But I know he is in love with you so much that I thought it was plausible that he would never want the possibility of being out of your sight a reality.

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 01:13 PM
it's just a shame legion troll left. I would have loved the opportunity to boot his ass out of all my threads.

Rune
12-30-2012, 01:21 PM
it's just a shame legion troll left. I would have loved the opportunity to boot his ass out of all my threads.

Looks like he got the last laugh.

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 02:48 PM
That's what I'm afraid of. Perhaps the guilty one will realize it only makes him more of a troll if he tries to usurp the feature.

Sorry, Tom, but I have to side with Rune on this one. Yurt may be intelligent at some level, but comparing him with other conservatives on here, that's not saying much. He's also childish, immature, smarmy, and insulting. Is he partisan? From what I can tell from the few formative posts he has, I'd say yes; but that's always a difficult conclusion to make when he'd rather argue than make a viable point.

Childish, immature, smarmy, and insulting, he can be all of those but then we can all be accused of that as well.

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Looks like he got the last laugh.

You claim to be his best buddy but I bet you know diddly shit about Rootbeer as well.

Howey
12-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Only at creation, however we will add people to the list if requested to by the thread starter. The modification only allows moderators to change the list once the thread has been created.

Can we start here?

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?48206-Did-Democrats-or-Republicans-Support-the-Civil-Rights-Act

Cancel 2018. 3
12-30-2012, 03:16 PM
howey calling anyone childish, smarmy, insulting or partisan is truly funny

i mean, truly funny

Cancel 2018. 3
12-30-2012, 03:20 PM
LMAO

putting someone on ignore is cowardly, but howey has no problem locking me from his thread because he cries whenever someone counters his points

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 03:22 PM
LMAO

putting someone on ignore is cowardly, but howey has no problem locking me from his thread because he cries whenever someone counters his points

"- Adding to the point above, do not make threads about how someone just banned you, or go into other threads whining about why you were banned, etc."

... not even 12 hours. lol.

Cancel 2016.11
12-30-2012, 03:39 PM
"- Adding to the point above, do not make threads about how someone just banned you, or go into other threads whining about why you were banned, etc."

Wait till the PM's start...

Cancel 2018. 3
12-30-2012, 03:40 PM

since i did not create a thread about it, nor whine about it....what is your point? you really expect people not to laugh at wusses like howey for banning simply because you made a point they did not agree with?

Cancel 2018. 3
12-30-2012, 03:42 PM
btw...this place will turn into an echo chamber

howey has already begun his own chamber

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 04:07 PM

Unless St Howey does it ;)

Althea
12-30-2012, 04:07 PM
When/If you choose to ban someone from a thread, does it automatically ban all their socks, or do you have to specify?

Rune
12-30-2012, 04:14 PM
You claim to be his best buddy but I bet you know diddly shit about Rootbeer as well.

More than you though you will never know what.

USFREEDOM911
12-30-2012, 04:21 PM

That's untrue Howie.
You know you want to touch me; but I keep telling you to find someone else to pack your lunch.

GAWD your site must really suck, seeing that you seem to spend most of your time here. :D

USFREEDOM911
12-30-2012, 04:23 PM

lou can semd them a PM and ask to have the poster added to the list.

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 04:29 PM

Translation: I know nothing but I don't want you to know that as well!!

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 04:32 PM
howey calling anyone childish, smarmy, insulting or partisan is truly funny

i mean, truly funny

Certainly a tad hypocritical.

ZappasGuitar
12-30-2012, 04:41 PM
LMAO

Awwwwwww...little YurTiva is whining again.

He's mad because the mods came up with a way for serious posters to ignore his ridiculous two-faced bullshit.

ZappasGuitar
12-30-2012, 04:42 PM
since i did not create a thread about it, nor whine about it....what is your point? you really expect people not to laugh at wusses like howey for banning simply because you made a point they did not agree with?

Post #66 is you whining about it...LOL!

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 04:43 PM
" or go into other threads"

but to answer you question, no i don't expect people to not do it. ;)

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 04:44 PM
When/If you choose to ban someone from a thread, does it automatically ban all their socks, or do you have to specify?

you have to specify.

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 04:46 PM
you have to specify.

What is the over/under for how long this lasts?

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 04:49 PM
if people like it we will keep it, if people dont like it, we will remove it. we'll use a month for trial basis.

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 04:52 PM
if people like it we will keep it, if people dont like it, we will remove it. we'll use a month for trial basis.

You will have your first experience of being a totalitarian government. You pass a law. Then when it doesn't work, you have to turn the screws tighter

USFREEDOM911
12-30-2012, 04:53 PM

http://www.mersenneforum.org/images/smilies/extra/lalalalala.jpg

HA HA HA HA HA

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 04:55 PM
You will have your first experience of being a totalitarian government. You pass a law. Then when it doesn't work, you have to turn the screws tighter

it's not a top down approach. the community, everyone, has the power. so i don't think it's the same thing.

Cancel 2018. 3
12-30-2012, 04:59 PM
howey wishes his board was 1/10th as cool as JPP

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 05:04 PM
it's not a top down approach. the community, everyone, has the power. so i don't think it's the same thing.

Sounds all socialist. The people have the power. Isn't that what Castro promised?

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Sounds all socialist. The people have the power. Isn't that what Castro promised?

yeah but castro lied. this is the truth. everyone has ban powers. look on the bright side ILA, you can ban darla and bijou from all your threads now.

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 05:13 PM
yeah but castro lied. this is the truth. everyone has ban powers. look on the bright side ILA, you can ban darla and bijou from all your threads now.

It won't last. People will do it for awhile then tire of it

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 05:13 PM
It won't last. People will do it for awhile then tire of it

then there isn't much of a problem for people to complain over then.

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 05:15 PM
then there isn't much of a problem for people to complain over then.

I don't see anyone complaining. But then it depends on how you define complain. Remember according to Bijou I am Alias and have you fooled with my magical internetz powers

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 05:18 PM
I don't see anyone complaining. But then it depends on how you define complain. Remember according to Bijou I am Alias and have you fooled with my magical internetz powers

i've had a few people pm me. most seem to like it though.

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 05:20 PM
i've had a few people pm me. most seem to like it though.

I don't think Howey likes it anymore

Howey
12-30-2012, 05:23 PM
I don't think Howey likes it anymore

I still like it. I just don't like trolls like you. Still.

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 05:24 PM

Can you have default settings of people banned or do you have to do it everytime?

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 05:25 PM
I still like it. I just don't like trolls like you. Still.

Then why do you keep asking me to join your forum?

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Can you have default settings of people banned or do you have to do it everytime?

I think when all is said and done Grind will have built the Berlin Wall ;)

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 05:26 PM

everytime. in a way I think that's good cause otherwise you might ban people and forget about them. this makes it so you really only ban the people that are a constant thorn in your side.

Cancel 2018. 3
12-30-2012, 05:35 PM
how do you ban someone after you start a thread?

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 05:36 PM
how do you ban someone after you start a thread?

ask a mod.... apparently that's the way the plugin works, i agree it would be more convenient for users as they go but we can't do it that way.

Cancel 2016.11
12-30-2012, 05:38 PM
I can't believe people keep asking the same questions that were answered in the OP, and then answered again when some other fool didn't read the OP. This is why Damo is the angriest buddhist ever, and also the buddhist most likely to go on a spree. It's probably also why he sends poor Grind out here who then gets blamed for everything. Personally I would not tolerate this nonsense and I would tell you to read the effing OP you damned fool. But that's me.

Cancel 2018. 3
12-30-2012, 05:40 PM
I can't believe people keep asking the same questions that were answered in the OP, and then answered again when some other fool didn't read the OP. This is why Damo is the angriest buddhist ever, and also the buddhist most likely to go on a spree. It's probably also why he sends poor Grind out here who then gets blamed for everything. Personally I would not tolerate this nonsense and I would tell you to read the effing OP you damned fool. But that's me.

calm down snarla

Cancel 2018. 3
12-30-2012, 05:44 PM
ask a mod.... apparently that's the way the plugin works, i agree it would be more convenient for users as they go but we can't do it that way.

i see...the echo chamber is complete

for a mod to ban a user from a thread, i think it should be for a rule violation, else the mods are simply foot soldiers.

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 05:45 PM
calm down snarla

I can't decide if Gnarla or Snarla is better?

Cancel 2016.11
12-30-2012, 05:46 PM

for a mod to ban a user from a thread, i think it should be for a rule violation, else the mods are simply foot soldiers.

Don't sweat it Yurt...I'm never going to forget to ban you right off.

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 05:47 PM
I can't decide if Gnarla or Snarla is better?

I vote Snarla

Cancel 2018. 3
12-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Don't sweat it Yurt...I'm never going to forget to ban you right off.

i win. funny how grind was right that there would be immature idiots who simply ban people right off the bat. LOL.

run along snarla, duck and cover from opinions that don't match your own

Cancel 2018. 3
12-30-2012, 05:51 PM
I vote Snarla

yep

describes her perfectly

all she does is snarl and growl.

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 05:51 PM

we don't really know how we want to do it going forward. we may just force people to do it in advance. I'm not really sure what the best solution is yet.

I'ts not hard to do a quick thread ban though, as long as the request isn't being abused.

Cancel 2018. 3
12-30-2012, 05:58 PM
we don't really know how we want to do it going forward. we may just force people to do it in advance. I'm not really sure what the best solution is yet.

I'ts not hard to do a quick thread ban though, as long as the request isn't being abused.

given howey's first mod request ban, i can see most of the threads turning into echo chambers. you're a having a discussion, and all of a sudden the thread creator wants you banned for no reason, other than he or she disagrees with you. the board will slow down, and no longer will the free ideas of politics be exchanged.

Cancel 2016.11
12-30-2012, 06:31 PM
given howey's first mod request ban, i can see most of the threads turning into echo chambers. you're a having a discussion, and all of a sudden the thread creator wants you banned for no reason, other than he or she disagrees with you. the board will slow down, and no longer will the free ideas of politics be exchanged.

LOL Look at the troll pretending he comes here to have a free exchange about politics. You're a troll yurt. You come here to drive people crazy by derailing their threads with your constant squeaking and insults. And you know it which is why all you've done is squeak since this was announced.

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 06:34 PM
LOL Look at the troll pretending he comes here to have a free exchange about politics. You're a troll yurt. You come here to drive people crazy by derailing their threads with your constant squeaking and insults. And you know it which is why all you've done is squeak since this was announced.

So she says while hurling insults.

Irony Sunday continues

Rune
12-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Translation: I know nothing but I don't want you to know that as well!!

Actual translation, I am not telling.

What I will tell you is that your uncivil behavior as well towards him contributed and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Cancel 2018. 3
12-30-2012, 07:07 PM

What I will tell you is that your uncivil behavior as well towards him contributed and you should be ashamed of yourself.

uncivil? you're really complaining about uncivil?

:rolleyes:

I am planning to ban totally random posters just to fuck with people.

It means no one gives a fuck what a rice rocket rider like you thinks.

Compassion for a hater? Like I said, fuck off and die.

shall i post more of your civility?

Cancel 2018. 3
12-30-2012, 07:10 PM

i see....so saying the new feature is cool...is now "squeaking".

darla, do you realize how much you troll this board? just look at your post above. all you have done is moan and insult.

yet, your fat panties get in a bunch when you get your stuff thrown your face

Banned
12-30-2012, 07:12 PM
I don't know, but I know Billy has some posters on ignore. He must have posted at least 10 times that he has me on it...he's such an attention whore.

We already have this function in the communities groups.
Invite only.

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 07:14 PM

I should be ashamed for calling out the troll, are you being fucking serious?

Banned
12-30-2012, 07:14 PM
i see....so saying the new feature is cool...is now "squeaking".

darla, do you realize how much you troll this board? just look at your post above. all you have done is moan and insult.

yet, your fat panties get in a bunch when you get your stuff thrown your face

Yurt wants Darla's panties thrown in his face?

Cancel 2018. 3
12-30-2012, 07:22 PM

please stop voicing your fantasies out loud on JPP

cancel2 2022
12-30-2012, 07:24 PM

He would suffocate.

Rune
12-30-2012, 07:36 PM
I should be ashamed for calling out the troll, are you being fucking serious?

Or even calling him a troll. Not very civil.

/MSG/
12-30-2012, 07:42 PM

Bet its thicker than water.

/MSG/
12-30-2012, 07:47 PM
He would suffocate.

You owe me $6.

Cancel 2016.11
12-30-2012, 08:00 PM
LOL What a bunch of morons. I don't know why anyone would ban yurt and his little boyfriends from their serious threads.

Cancel 2016.11
12-30-2012, 08:04 PM
You owe me $6.

Hey scum since you have me on IA, but I can't IA you keep your drunken, PTSD mouth shut about me.

Cancel 2016.11
12-30-2012, 08:18 PM

When did you convince Damo of this? I would like to find out why it's okay for that drunken fool Billy to IA me but I can't IA him. That's bullshit. Another abuse of power by the worse mod ever.

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 08:42 PM
When did you convince Damo of this? I would like to find out why it's okay for that drunken fool Billy to IA me but I can't IA him. That's bullshit. Another abuse of power by the worse mod ever.

it's just the way the system works. It's not like some arbitrary setting we just made up.. it's built in. I guess the logic is the software wants to allow mods to always be able to let people know if they are breaking the rules or something

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 08:54 PM
ok so there is a bug... basically anyone can avoid the ban if they post from tapatalk.

I only publicize this so people understand why it appears to fail in certain instances.

If you know you are banned from a thread, do not try and avoid the ban.

I don't think this is a huge issue in the long term because 98% of all posting is from the web, not from typing on your phone. And if you want to go out of your way and switch from your comp to your phone or tablet every time you want to post in a specific thread, ok... good for you. Enjoy phone typing with your fat cheeto fingers whenever you want to flame someone.

We'll be deleting any posts by anyone that is banned from a thread but posts in said thread from tapatalk.

The long term solution will obviously be to see if there is a way to fix this issue for tapatalk entirely.

Canceled.2014.1
12-30-2012, 08:55 PM
I think this will be an excellent feature, if used properly. If people start threads and ban the trolls and truly hostile assholes, we might have some better discussions.

However, I can also see it being a way to refuse access to anyone who would disagree with you.

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 08:56 PM
I think this will be an excellent feature, if used properly. If people start threads and ban the trolls and truly hostile assholes, we might have some better discussions.

However, I can also see it being a way to refuse access to anyone who would disagree with you.

yup... but I think most people would use it appropriately. maybe i am just the undying optimist though.

Cancel 2016.11
12-30-2012, 09:02 PM

Yeah but I doubt many people on a political message board only want to talk to people who don't disagree with them. Maybe I am wrong we will see. I think I will like the feature. It does allow you to do away with the most abusive assholes and the biggest trolls. The only thing is of course, you can only get rid of them on your own threads. I feel like a bigger byproduct could end up being that you only want to post on your own threads.

Minister of Truth
12-30-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm going to have some fun with this. :D

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 09:14 PM
ok so there is a bug... basically anyone can avoid the ban if they post from tapatalk.

I only publicize this so people understand why it appears to fail in certain instances.

If you know you are banned from a thread, do not try and avoid the ban.

I don't think this is a huge issue in the long term because 98% of all posting is from the web, not from typing on your phone. And if you want to go out of your way and switch from your comp to your phone or tablet every time you want to post in a specific thread, ok... good for you. Enjoy phone typing with your fat cheeto fingers whenever you want to flame someone.

We'll be deleting any posts by anyone that is banned from a thread but posts in said thread from tapatalk.

The long term solution will obviously be to see if there is a way to fix this issue for tapatalk entirely.

You found it. The flip side is tapatalk doesn't let you ban others either. I actually use tapatalk much more than the web. Actually much better experience than the web.

But I don't know if I would call it a bug as much as I would call it a microcosm of totalitarianism. All totalitarians say they are doing it for the "greater good". So they devise a fix like banning people from threads, then inevitably there is a way around said fix. Said totalitarians can't allow the fix to not work. Their pride won't let it not work. So they come up with a fix for the fix that didn't fix the fix. Soon they are changing words to more politically correct words.

All when there are much easier ways to go. Yet, all very fun to watch.

Cancel 2018. 3
12-30-2012, 09:22 PM

rune

calling people trolls

Yurt is legion troll.

No, 007 is a moron troll. Sparta is Billy.

Immolate yourself troll.

Ah, another moron with a feces fetish. Yuck.

Nice copycat troll thread, faggot.

PostmodernProphet
12-30-2012, 09:24 PM
so only the person who starts the thread can block posters?......I thought you had done something so that anyone could "ban" someone from any thread at any time.....I had visions of nothing but unfinished arguments.........

canceled.2021.1
12-30-2012, 09:28 PM
BTW I found another bug, but I ain't tellin ;)

BRUTALITOPS
12-30-2012, 09:36 PM
so only the person who starts the thread can block posters?......I thought you had done something so that anyone could "ban" someone from any thread at any time.....I had visions of nothing but unfinished arguments.........

lol... yeah we aren't that crazy

cancel2 2022
12-31-2012, 05:29 AM

The mods call him a troll take it up with them!!

Rune
12-31-2012, 05:31 AM
The mods call him a troll take it up with them!!

I did. Assholes is plural.

cancel2 2022
12-31-2012, 05:35 AM
You owe me $6.

Why?

Cancel 2018. 3
12-31-2012, 10:19 AM
rune

calling people trolls

lol...rune runs away from the truth again

Canceled.2014.1
12-31-2012, 11:10 AM

There was a time when I would agree with you. But with so many good threads sliding down into a cesspool or name-calling and snide personal attacks, this feature seems to have potential.

But it would probably be easier to have a list of people allowed to post on a thread. lol

Cancel 2020.1
12-31-2012, 11:42 AM
There was a time when I would agree with you. But with so many good threads sliding down into a cesspool or name-calling and snide personal attacks, this feature seems to have potential.

But it would probably be easier to have a list of people allowed to post on a thread. lol

Agreed. I probably won't use it, but it's a good option to have.

The insult-exchanging thing has just gotten weird, imo. It's the same posters, posting the exact same insults, and in almost the exact same order. "Boring" isn't even a good word for it. It's so far beyond that at this point.

Cancel 2018. 3
12-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Agreed. I probably won't use it, but it's a good option to have.

The insult-exchanging thing has just gotten weird, imo. It's the same posters, posting the exact same insults, and in almost the exact same order. "Boring" isn't even a good word for it. It's so far beyond that at this point.

Like I said - fools. Braindead.

You used to have some brain cells. It's a real pity.

You guys are total fools. 100%.

I was going to ignore that titmouse of a troll.

You really have lost your mind. You're completely delusional.

You've lost your mind.

same poster...same insults

yeah...boring

LOL

Howey
12-31-2012, 12:37 PM
Yeah but I doubt many people on a political message board only want to talk to people who don't disagree with them. Maybe I am wrong we will see. I think I will like the feature. It does allow you to do away with the most abusive assholes and the biggest trolls. The only thing is of course, you can only get rid of them on your own threads. I feel like a bigger byproduct could end up being that you only want to post on your own threads.

True. I don't have a problem with discussing issues, my problem is with trolls like Yurt and ILA flooding threads with insults and no discussion. This keeps them out of my threads and gives me the added pleasure of them keeping me out of their threads when they flamebait my supremely intelligent responses.

BRUTALITOPS
12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
lol wm.. i saaaaw.

SJJRSJJS
01-13-2013, 12:54 AM
It would be useful if the banned posters were aware of it without having to find out when they try to post to a thread.
I agree with you, those little notifications popups, like for those "Groans" and "Thanks" should include when someone has been put into the infamous "Banned From Post" binder. Maybe, they could have a little red flag pop up that the member could click to see who gave up and banned them? I am replying here because I know that many Lib Demos who cannot stand the SJJ heat will put me in there, and I say..."So What". Of course some of their Lib Demo jerks will not get banned by their Lib cohors, this is just another good way for the Lib Demos to bury a poster who routinely "outplays them". I stand by everything that I have ever posted on here, and I vow that I will never ban anyone, even Dudette, because no one on here scares me, never did in the past and never will here. I am not changing, ban or no ban, forget about. When I post, I want all those non-members thread "Views", the Moore the merrier.

BRUTALITOPS
01-13-2013, 01:47 AM
fyi everyone can now immediately see when they are banned from the thread, as it lists at the top of every thread who specifically is banned

apple0154
01-13-2013, 05:22 AM
fyi everyone can now immediately see when they are banned from the thread, as it lists at the top of every thread who specifically is banned

Excellent idea re: listing who is banned as there are threads I wouldn't want to participate in if certain people were on the banned list. The reason being another poster taking the same position as myself on a topic may be able to contribute information and/or cites I was unable to find.

As for the general idea of banning people from threads I am inclined to avoid such threads. While a few posters may troll it's nice to see differing points of view and a point a troll may mention might lead to a serious question being rephrased.

All in all it's good to see the willingness to experiment/try different things. :good4u:

I'm Watermark
01-16-2013, 06:15 AM
same poster...same insults

yeah...boring

LOL

To play devil's advocate, Thing1 is more pointing out the constant feuding between the same posters than his own lack of originality.

Cancel 2018. 3
01-17-2013, 05:06 PM
To play devil's advocate, Thing1 is more pointing out the constant feuding between the same posters than his own lack of originality.

and that excuses his irony? the guy is a whiny hypocrite.

Howey
01-17-2013, 05:35 PM
and that excuses his irony? the guy is a whiny hypocrite.

lol...welcome back!

Cancel 2018. 3
01-17-2013, 06:05 PM
lol...welcome back!

back? and why would you welcome me? you have tried to get me banned more than once and you ban me from your threads. you obviously are scared to debate to me, so i question why you would welcome me.

Rune
01-18-2013, 10:21 AM
back? and why would you welcome me? you have tried to get me banned more than once and you ban me from your threads. you obviously are scared to debate to me, so i question why you would welcome me.

Let the whining officially begin!

Quite surprising it took this long. Been thinking to myself, :"wow, yurt is being surprisingly mature about this new feature, considering he has the most to lose from it."

I guess he is a little slower than I thought.

Howey
01-18-2013, 10:35 AM

Yurt, Yurt, Yurt....poor little Yurtie.

It's not that I don't want to debate you, it's that I don't want to embarass you any more than you already are.

And I only ban you from my threads because you contribute nothing...zero....zip....nada to them.

Cancel 2018. 3
01-18-2013, 12:55 PM
here is what howey thinks is contribution:

If the mentally ill couldn't have firearms, three quarters of the gun nuts on this forum would be pistol-less.

Dude...that's not abuse.

It's the truth.

You are seriously fucking nuts. Why any right winger on this forum would come to your defense is amazing.

I know...he's quite the rocket scientist, isn't he?

Yup. More teabaggers playing with their phallic toys. How responsible!

ZappasGuitar
01-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Yurt, Yurt, Yurt....poor little Yurtie.

It's not that I don't want to debate you, it's that I don't want to embarass you any more than you already are.

And I only ban you from my threads because you contribute nothing...zero....zip....nada to them.

What can ya do?

You treat the guy with a modicum of respect, welcome him back politely and he goes off the deep end with the same tired derision.

There just is no pleasing douchebags like the YurTard.

Cancel 2018. 3
01-18-2013, 02:05 PM
What can ya do?

You treat the guy with a modicum of respect, welcome him back politely and he goes off the deep end with the same tired derision.

There just is no pleasing douchebags like the YurTard.

it never ceases to amaze me that you don't see your hypocrisy...i did not respond with derision to him at all. i merely politely asked a question. but of course you have nothing but derision and insults.

ZappasGuitar
01-18-2013, 03:35 PM
it never ceases to amaze me that you don't see your hypocrisy...i did not respond with derision to him at all. i merely politely asked a question. but of course you have nothing but derision and insults.

Oh of course not...telling Howey he's too scared to debate you isn't you deriding him in an attempt to goad him into debating you

And I don't see any hypocrisy for one simple reason...there is none to see.

You've fabricated this supposed hypocrisy in order to avoid admitting what a liar you are and to give you an excuse to continue being the biggest douchebag on the board.

Cancel 2018. 3
01-18-2013, 04:06 PM
you sit there and whine and moan about me supposedly being derisive...all the while insulting me and being derisive. i did not fabricate your hypocrisy, it is plain as day. you simply cannot bitch and moan about insults and then turn around and insult the person. really that simple.

ZappasGuitar
01-18-2013, 04:38 PM
you sit there and whine and moan about me supposedly being derisive...all the while insulting me and being derisive. i did not fabricate your hypocrisy, it is plain as day. you simply cannot bitch and moan about insults and then turn around and insult the person. really that simple.

So I can't bitch and moan about the derision of others and then turn around and insult someone...why not, you do it to me every day?

ANOTHER Yurt "do as I say and not as I do" double standard.

Cancel 2018. 3
01-18-2013, 04:42 PM
So I can't bitch and moan about the derision of others and then turn around and insult someone...why not, you do it to me every day?

ANOTHER Yurt "do as I say and not as I do" double standard.

bullshit. i could care less if you insult and are derisive. your whiny hypocrisy is truly annoying. i don't complain about others either. you're full of it zappa.

ZappasGuitar
01-18-2013, 05:22 PM
bullshit. i could care less if you insult and are derisive. your whiny hypocrisy is truly annoying. i don't complain about others either. you're full of it zappa.

Oh bullhsit...you whine about Howey almost as much as you whine about me. And if it isn't Howey or myself, you are whining about Darla, or Thing1...

Cancel 2018. 3
01-18-2013, 05:25 PM
cite where i talk about them being derisive or insulting

i don't whine about you, i merely point out your dishonest hypocrisy. oh look yurt does nothing but insult, what a douchebag....

ZappasGuitar
01-18-2013, 05:30 PM
cite where i talk about them being derisive or insulting

i don't whine about you, i merely point out your dishonest hypocrisy. oh look yurt does nothing but insult, what a douchebag....

Cite where I said you talk about them being derisive or insulting...your hatred for me runs so deep you can't even quote me properly.

You whine about Darla claiming she's "obsessed" with you and following you around the board.

You whine about Thing1, and keep bringing up things that happened when he was Onceler.

Cancel 2018. 3
01-18-2013, 05:32 PM
1. you're full of shit

2. we were talking about complaining about insults, so again, you're full of shit and just got busted for it

3. i'm sick of your whining...carry on

Rune
01-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Wah...good call rune,LOL.

Cancel 2018. 3
01-18-2013, 08:57 PM
and rune....mr. i have an iq in the 99th percentile (his claim)....strikes us again with his vast intelligence

:D

Rune
01-19-2013, 06:33 AM
and rune....mr. i have an iq in the 99th percentile (his claim)....strikes us again with his vast intelligence

:D
Let the whining officially begin!

Quite surprising it took this long. Been thinking to myself, :"wow, yurt is being surprisingly mature about this new feature, considering he has the most to lose from it."

I guess he is a little slower than I thought.lol