PDA

View Full Version : Dems Are Losing the 'GOP Corruption' Meme

Annie
08-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Yes, links. This is just too blatant. At least with Republicans you have to unravel something:

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/007851.php

August 20, 2006
The Culture Of Corruption Redux

When the Democrats adopted the "culture of corruption" meme as their campaign theme earlier this year, we noted that the culture hardly respected party lines. The leader of the Senate Democratic caucus, Harry Reid, took contributions from clients of Jack Abramoff and intervened on their behalf at least four times, and Abramoff hired one of Reid's staffers and started holding fundraisers for the Senate Minority Leader in Abramoff's offices.

Now COGirl at Hang Right Politics points us towards a Los Angeles Times report on the "culture of corruption" surrounding Harry Reid and a new real-estate development outside of Las Vegas. Reid has intervened on behalf of a powerful developer to gain government concessions while the developer puts money into Reid's campaigns -- and pays Reid's sons' salaries:

One of the most inhospitable places in the country, Coyote Springs Valley is so barren that, until recently, its best use was thought to be as a weapons test range.

Yet the valley — an hour northeast of Las Vegas — is on its way to becoming a real estate development of historic proportions, with as many as 159,000 homes, 16 golf courses and a full complement of stores and service facilities. At nearly 43,000 acres, Coyote Springs covers almost twice as much space as the next-largest development in a state famous for outsized building projects. ...

Over the last four years, Reid has used his influence in Washington to help the developer, Nevada super-lobbyist [Harvey] Whittemore, clear obstacles from Coyote Springs' path.

At one point, Reid proposed opening the way for Whittemore to develop part of the site for free — something for which the developer later agreed to pay the government $10 million.

As the project advanced, Reid received tens of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from Whittemore. The contributions not only went to Reid's Senate campaigns, but also to his leadership fund, which he used to help bankroll the campaigns of Democratic colleagues.

Whittemore also helped advance the legal careers of two of Reid's four sons. One of the two, Leif Reid, who is Whittemore's personal lawyer, has represented the developer throughout the Coyote Springs project, including in negotiations with federal officials.

The story of Coyote Springs sounds like a Horatio Alger story. The land Whittemore bought in 1998 from a defense contractor who intended on using it for target practice had a number of restrictions on its use. A quarter of it was subject to a federal power-line right of way. Another quarter had federal protection for the desert tortoise, an endangered species that also is Nevada's official state reptile. The land had a fragile series of streams and washes that required special permission on which to build without ruining the desert's ecosystem.

None of these obstacles proved too difficult for Whittemore, at least not while he had his friend Harry Reid running interference in Congress. Interior refused to relocate the tortoises for over five years, until the Bureau of Land Management agreed to swap the land for another parcel abutting a federal preserve elsewhere. No one ever did an analysis to determine whether the deal was fair to either party, nor did the BLM go to Congress for approval on the changes to a project that Congress had explicitly legislated.

In 2002, Reid worked on the power corridor. He inserted obscure provisions into a land management bill that relocated the power corridor, freeing Whittemore to build on the 10,500 acres that Congress had previously held -- which means that someone else now had to lose property value for Whittemore's benefit, and for no cost whatsoever. That bald move caused raised eyebrows at the BLM and the Senate's Energy and Natural Resources Committee, and Reid backed away -- for the moment. Less than two years later, Reid tried again to give Whittemore the land for a song ($160,000), but Congress balked again. He finally settled for freeing the land for development and allowing Whittemore to buy it at a fair market rate, and forcing the government to relocate the power corridor.

In 2005, Reid and fellow Nevada Senator John Ensign conducted a series of interventions with the EPA to eliminate the final obstacle -- the environmental impact on the fragile ecosystem in Coyote Springs Valley. When the agency blocked Whittemore's efforts, Reid and Ensign held several meetings with EPA officials to pressure them into submission. Whittemore used another Reid son, Lief, to lobby his father's office for assistance. In the end, the pressure paid off, as the EPA backed down from its opposition after winning a few concessions on the development plan.

What did Reid get in exchange for all of this support? According to the Times, Whittemore contributed $45,000 to Reid and his PACs since 2000. He also gave the DSCC $20,000 in 2000, when it pushed Reid as a leader for the party in the Senate. Reid's son Josh got $5,000 for his unsuccessful campaign for a city council seat; his other sone Rory got $5,000 for his successful effort to win a spot on the Clark County Board of Commissioners.

Money talks. And Harry Reid walks. If you wondered why the Democrats have abandoned the corruption theme for these midterm elections, now you know.

UPDATE: Welcome, Instapundit readers!
Posted by Captain Ed at August 20, 2006 10:40 AM

Care4all
08-20-2006, 02:25 PM
you can NOT believe this partisan garbage? Well, maybe you can, but that really surprises me.... but I guess I really don't know what I expected from you...?

Was there something ILLEGAL in this stuff you posted, if not, what was the purpose?

And may I ask, WHAT in HEAVEN'S name does this have to do with corruption and breaking the LAW AS THE RPUBLICANS with Abramoff and cunningham and Noe and Delay, and safavin, etc have done?

Annie
08-20-2006, 02:39 PM
you can NOT believe this partisan garbage? Well, maybe you can, but that really surprises me.... but I guess I really don't know what I expected from you...?

Was there something ILLEGAL in this stuff you posted, if not, what was the purpose?

And may I ask, WHAT in HEAVEN'S name does this have to do with corruption and breaking the LAW AS THE RPUBLICANS with Abramoff and cunningham and Noe and Delay, and safavin, etc have done?

I'm going to turn the tables, you think this is OK? How would that be different than those from the right that said Abramhoff was 'hidden' from those that received money? Seems Reid doesn't even have that to hide behind.

Cypress
08-20-2006, 02:42 PM
PDATE: Welcome, Instapundit readers!

Prepare to get laughed at, when you cut and paste some partisan dribble written by some no-name anonymous poster at a rightwing blog.

Sir Evil
08-20-2006, 02:48 PM

Prepare to get laughed at, when you cut and paste some partisan dribble written by some no-name anonymous poster at a rightwing blog.

Shut up shitbrick, have you posted anything outside of your statistical garbage that show any real sign of anything remotely original? No, you have no debating skills, and it shows every single time you pull your thumb out of your ass...:rolleyes:

Annie
08-20-2006, 02:50 PM

I can deal with it. Do you realize you've just revealed your ignorance?

Cypress
08-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Shut up shitbrick, have you posted anything outside of your statistical garbage that show any real sign of anything remotely original? No, you have no debating skills, and it shows every single time you pull your thumb out of your ass...:rolleyes:

YAWN...........ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Care4all
08-20-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm going to turn the tables, you think this is OK? How would that be different than those from the right that said Abramhoff was 'hidden' from those that received money? Seems Reid doesn't even have that to hide behind.

runyon, because what Reid is doing is not breaking the Law, whether we like it or not...

and what Abramoff did and delay and cunningham and Noe etc WAS BREAKING the law....

that is why what reid is being noted on is out in the public...NOT DONE IN DARKNESS....AS with the Abramoff crew....and NOT illegal as what these Republicans did and confessed to with more confessions to come, to sweep the whole net of them in....

will some Dems be in this net to catch the crooks, certainly there will be a few....mixed in with the Republicans involved in this scandal ....imo. Yet there haven't been any yet...tied in with the Abramoff corruption, but I will leave it open because more charges and arrests are to come..

care

Annie
08-20-2006, 03:49 PM
runyon, because what Reid is doing is not breaking the Law, whether we like it or not...

and what Abramoff did and delay and cunningham and Noe etc WAS BREAKING the law....

that is why what reid is being noted on is out in the public...NOT DONE IN DARKNESS....AS with the Abramoff crew....and NOT illegal as what these Republicans did and confessed to with more confessions to come, to sweep the whole net of them in....

will some Dems be in this net to catch the crooks, certainly there will be a few....mixed in with the Republicans involved in this scandal ....imo. Yet there haven't been any yet...tied in with the Abramoff corruption, but I will leave it open because more charges and arrests are to come..

care
So, show me the indictments and convictions. LOL, lightness for Reid, right. Give me a break. When I here this as a top story on CNN, I'll believe you. BTW, hasn't been mentioned on FOX either. Some sunshine.

Sir Evil
08-20-2006, 04:05 PM
YAWN...........ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Damn, the brilliance of your comebacks are astounding! Every single time, the thumb must taste good eh shitbrick?

Care4all
08-20-2006, 04:05 PM
So, show me the indictments and convictions. LOL, lightness for Reid, right. Give me a break. When I here this as a top story on CNN, I'll believe you. BTW, hasn't been mentioned on FOX either. Some sunshine.

You've got to be kidding? Abramoff indictments? Delay indictments? Two Delay Aids, indicted and plead guilty, Cunningham indictments and plead guilty to a multitude of Law breaking.....indicted and Convicted Bush Aid Safavian....?

There's a handful for ya, that you certainly must have read about in the daily news?

What exactly are you asking above Runyun, maybe I misunderstood?

care

Sir Evil
08-20-2006, 04:10 PM
You've got to be kidding? Abramoff indictments? Delay indictments? Two Delay Aids, indicted and plead guilty, Cunningham indictments and plead guilty to a multitude of Law breaking.....indicted and Convicted Bush Aid Safavian....?

Theres a handful for ya, that you certainly must have read about in the daily news?

care
May I ask this sir/mam... what kind of username is care4all? I'm guessing by what I read that the name may not be very indicating of the poster. Can you elaborate on that one?

Care4all
08-20-2006, 04:11 PM
if what reid is doing is illegal, then i will be the first to say lock him up...

Care4all
08-20-2006, 04:13 PM
May I ask this sir/mam... what kind of username is care4all? I'm guessing by what I read that the name may not be very indicating or the poster. Can you elaborate on that one?

Stay around long enough and you will find out....no girl tells all her secrets to the first guy that asks! :p

Sir Evil
08-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Stay around long enough and you will find out....no girl tells all her secrets to the first guy that asks! :p

Fair enough! well at least I have found someone that I am not off to a bad start with the first post... I'll stick around and figure what I can for now....:cool:

Care4all
08-20-2006, 04:20 PM
May I ask this sir/mam... what kind of username is care4all? I'm guessing by what I read that the name may not be very indicating of the poster. Can you elaborate on that one?

p.s.
all it really means is that I am not going to be acting like YOU, just because I differ with someone! :D

no "shitbricks" and stuff like that in my vocabulary or debating....no major slamming and calling opponents names, and a fairly decent listener....

and pretty much, I love everyone on here...especially those that are political "enemies" (j/k ;) )....I don't want to have a circle jerk with a bunch of people that think the same as me....and I certainly do not think of them as any less human, any less smart, or any less of a person than me just because they are WRONG.... lol

care

Annie
08-20-2006, 04:27 PM

There's a handful for ya, that you certainly must have read about in the daily news?

care

Not for the GOP already tarred and feathered, which you rightly sighted, but those articles that bring comparable culpability to the democrats. None are clean, that is one of the problems.

klaatu
08-21-2006, 07:16 AM

Care .. you cannot label every criticism of the Democrats as partisan.. especially when one such as yourself will post accusations of corruption everyday .... of which 99.9% are pointing across the political isle.

Harry Reid is a hypocritical swine ....a PAC hog ....

Damocles
08-21-2006, 07:19 AM
Care .. you cannot label every criticism of the Democrats as partisan.. especially when one such as yourself will post accusations of corruption everyday .... of which 99.9% are pointing across the political isle.

Harry Reid is a hypocritical swine ....a PAC hog ....
You must be a partisan ideologue. He has a D by his name so he must be perfect! How could you dare to even put him in the same category as "politician". Only perfection become members of the D Party, and only the most perfect are "selected" to run!

klaatu
08-21-2006, 07:24 AM
You must be a partisan ideologue. He has a D by his name so he must be perfect! How could you dare to even put him in the same category as "politician". Only perfection become members of the D Party, and only the most perfect are "selected" to run!

If she were defending Harold Ford or someone like that.. I would have let this go .. but Harry Reid? Please .... :cof1:

Care4all
08-21-2006, 07:36 AM
and what do you really know about reid klaatu? lets hear it, the good and the bad of him....

evince
08-14-2013, 01:06 PM
how did that all work out for you annie?

Annie
08-14-2013, 01:38 PM
how did that all work out for you annie?

:awesome:

OCA
08-14-2013, 01:39 PM
:awesome:

Hi Kathianne, i'm gonna tear you up. Better stay over in the womb at the other place, this might be dangerous for you.

evince
08-14-2013, 01:40 PM
the right is the party of corruption.

pretending wont change it

evince
08-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi Kathianne, i'm gonna tear you up. Better stay over in the womb at the other place, this might be dangerous for you.

I was just looking at her old threads

she is such a duplicitous human being

cawacko
08-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Democrats and Republicans are the party's of corruption.

pretending wont change it

fify

evince
08-14-2013, 02:01 PM
tell me the republican partys history of cheating voters out of their vote

evince
08-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Tell me why Bush tried to make the DOJ political?

evince
08-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Why did they fire people in the DOJ for convicting republicans?

Minister of Truth
08-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Anyone been down to San Diego recently?

evince
08-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Why did they fire people in the DOJ for convicting republicans?

got nothing huh

evince
08-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Anyone been down to San Diego recently?

both that mayor and you saw you support completely collapse when you fucked up huh?

you re elected Vitter and sanford

cawacko
08-14-2013, 02:35 PM
both that mayor and you saw you support completely collapse when you fucked up huh?

you re elected Vitter and sanford

Actually no. When the first couple of claims of harassment came out a few Democrats were calling for him to step aside but others were saying he should stay on. It's only after the number of women coming forward got so high that fellow party members turned on him.

cawacko
08-14-2013, 02:36 PM
got nothing huh

Reread what I wrote Desh. I said the Democrat and Republican party's are corrupt. You attempting to show examples of corrupt Republicans only bolsters what I said.

Howey
08-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Actually no. When the first couple of claims of harassment came out a few Democrats were calling for him to step aside but others were saying he should stay on. It's only after the number of women coming forward got so high that fellow party members turned on him.

I don't see how anyone can say democrats, liberals, whatever supporting either this guy or Weiner for their actions. Hell, I gave Weiner crap the first time he did this stuff.

No politician, democrat or republican, should be in office if they disrespect women.

evince
08-14-2013, 02:47 PM
the republican party is the party of corruption.

pretending the offenses are equal in size and depth is just crap

cawacko
08-14-2013, 02:50 PM
the republican party is the party of corruption.

pretending the offenses are equal in size and depth is just crap

Ok.

PostmodernProphet
08-14-2013, 04:04 PM
prophetic thread....Jackson was sentenced today......

evince
08-14-2013, 04:39 PM
you guys don't remember what Bush did to the DOJ huh