PDA

View Full Version : The Bond folly

doniston
08-05-2007, 10:01 AM
I would say "who the hell cares" but apparently a lot of people do. so I will change the question to s simple "WHY"

He is a grown man playing a little boy's game, and hitting a ball with a stick. (when they are younger, they call it "T" Ball. )

So there is a big hubbubb about whether or not he used drugs to get to his (apparently) exhaulted plane. Face it, every successfull athletete does somerthing to enhance his or her prowness. It may be exercise, diet, or drugs, but it is not natural. IT IS ENHANCED

They have a big investigation going on trying to pin something on him, even to the degree that a man has been sitting in Jail since January because he won't tell on Bond.

Big damned deal. it is much ado about nothing, and should cease. Our courts should be involved in much more important things.

Let him and his childish supporters have their dreams of so-called greatness

Blackflag
08-05-2007, 11:54 AM
cuz bitching on a message board all day long is a greater achievement.

uscitizen
08-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Ohh I thought this was about 007.....

getting paid millions to play any pro sport is stupid to me.

doniston
08-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Ohh I thought this was about 007.....

getting paid millions to play any pro sport is stupid to me. Obviously, I fully agree.

course that is slightly reversed. IMHO, It is stupid to PAY anyone millions to play a pro sport.

Beefy
08-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Obviously, I fully agree.

course that is slightly reversed. IMHO, It is stupid to PAY anyone millions to play a pro sport.

Why? Its money. If it makes you money, pay for it.

If I were you, I'd pay money to get those saddlebags under your eyes removed, and maybe reupholster the British navy with them.

Just joking. Before you get all excited.

uscitizen
08-05-2007, 11:27 PM
I consider it strange that we have no problem with a baseball player making milions but the teachers of our children make a modest living at best.
Where does that place our vaues ?

doniston
08-06-2007, 10:15 AM
I consider it strange that we have no problem with a baseball player making milions but the teachers of our children make a modest living at best.
Where does that place our vaues ? A good question with a very BAD answer.

uscitizen
08-06-2007, 10:21 AM
A good question with a very BAD answer.

yep and it is very convenient to blame it on the gummit.

cawacko
08-06-2007, 07:14 PM

Because that's what the market will bare. There are thousands and thousands of teachers in the U.S. while there 500 or so pro baseball players. Why do actors get millions of dollars? Why do writers get millions of dollars? If people didn't want to watch pro sports or the movies then the performers wouldn't make the money they do.

cawacko
08-06-2007, 07:15 PM
yep and it is very convenient to blame it on the gummit.

who is blaming the government? that's a random answer.

Beefy
08-06-2007, 09:01 PM

I think he's having a senior moment. Or maybe an 80 year old woman with a g string showed up to his place with a bottle of merlot and a quart of ben gay and he's gotten distracted.

Damocles
08-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Supply and demand. Teachers, as a whole, make very good salaries. It was negotiated long ago that much of the weight of the benefits and pay of teachers be on the later years of their profession, by their own union. This makes it so they keep promoting a starting salary and pretend that the later salaries have no existence and people believe that they are underpaid.

I have an employee whose wife is a teacher that makes more than every person in my group to teach Middle School, there is a reason for that, she is paid a professional salary as she deserves for her level of education. And this is after much of her starting years were taken off as she moved from another state.

Now, to be frank, there are very few people that can play that sport at that level, and people pay to see such a feat. They are a product, a rarity, teachers not so much. They are not as underpaid as people constantly promote, and they are heavily weighted in benefit toward retirement and later years of teaching.

uscitizen
08-07-2007, 01:12 AM
Because that's what the market will bare. There are thousands and thousands of teachers in the U.S. while there 500 or so pro baseball players. Why do actors get millions of dollars? Why do writers get millions of dollars? If people didn't want to watch pro sports or the movies then the performers wouldn't make the money they do.

Absolutely correct cawacko. It is what the market will bear because of many / most parents place more value on their status related material posessions than they do on their childs education.
thanks for supporting my opinion.

uscitizen
08-07-2007, 01:16 AM
people tend to blame the gummit for the poor education system when they have no involvement in their childs education other than to send the children to school. How many parents actually attend PTA or whatever they call it now a days ? How many attend school borad meetings, how many meet with the teacher to discuss their childs education, spend enough time with them working on their homework ? etc....
Taking them to soccer games does not cover it.

uscitizen
08-07-2007, 01:18 AM
Supply and demand. Teachers, as a whole, make very good salaries. It was negotiated long ago that much of the weight of the benefits and pay of teachers be on the later years of their profession, by their own union. This makes it so they keep promoting a starting salary and pretend that the later salaries have no existence and people believe that they are underpaid.

I have an employee whose wife is a teacher that makes more than every person in my group to teach Middle School, there is a reason for that, she is paid a professional salary as she deserves for her level of education. And this is after much of her starting years were taken off as she moved from another state.

Now, to be frank, there are very few people that can play that sport at that level, and people pay to see such a feat. They are a product, a rarity, teachers not so much. They are not as underpaid as people constantly promote, and they are heavily weighted in benefit toward retirement and later years of teaching.

I guess Co pays teachers well, that is good. The pay is not so good here. I personally know 3 grade school and one high school teacher...
and KY ranks about 40 or so, figures....
Where does Co rank ?

My grandsons teacher lives about 1 mile down the road from me and I am good freinds with her and her family.

DigitalDave
08-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Don't get all 'ethical' on us uscitizen, seriously. Teachers are paid ok, and I highly doubt that if you paid them any more that they would do any better in the role that they have. The athletes are paid based on performance. They make more the better they are, and people love to kick back on Sunday afternoon and watch a ballgame, or go to a baseball game after work. There is NOTHING wrong with that.

My best friend is a trig/engineering math teacher at Canton South, his wife is a physics teacher at North Canton, my cousin is a grade school teacher for Canton City Schools, they all make good pay with AWESOME benefits that would beat any corporate gig I've seen, yet there are always those that complain that it just ain't good enough.

Damocles
08-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Don't get all 'ethical' on us uscitizen, seriously. Teachers are paid ok, and I highly doubt that if you paid them any more that they would do any better in the role that they have. The athletes are paid based on performance. They make more the better they are, and people love to kick back on Sunday afternoon and watch a ballgame, or go to a baseball game after work. There is NOTHING wrong with that.

My best friend is a trig/engineering math teacher at Canton South, his wife is a physics teacher at North Canton, my cousin is a grade school teacher for Canton City Schools, they all make good pay with AWESOME benefits that would beat any corporate gig I've seen, yet there are always those that complain that it just ain't good enough.
Exactly my point. And they use that perception of others to pretend to be victims. Everybody calls them 'heroes' for working for 'short-pay' in a 'thankless' job.

First, the job isn't thankless.

Second, they often are heroes, but self-promotion takes away from that.

Third, they just aren't as 'underpaid' as they seem to have convinced everybody that they are.

uscitizen
08-07-2007, 08:46 AM

why not get all ethical ? I try to be as ethical and moral as I can. You should too.

Yes I agree the teachers benefits are good here as well, but the state is currently reducing those beneifts. And to be honest the benefits are the biggest advantage of being a teacher here. Several families who I know of have one spouse working a not so good paying job for the state just to provide insurance for their family. School bus drivers used to be that way, but the republicans contracted that out. and we have had a couple of druggie drivers since then....

cawacko
08-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Absolutely correct cawacko. It is what the market will bear because of many / most parents place more value on their status related material posessions than they do on their childs education.
thanks for supporting my opinion.

playing sports is now a status? going to a movie is a status? I'm not following.

doniston
08-07-2007, 10:37 AM

Now, to be frank, there are very few people that can play that sport at that level, and people pay to see such a feat. They are a product, a rarity, teachers not so much. They are not as underpaid as people constantly promote, and they are heavily weighted in benefit toward retirement and later years of teaching. Of course everything you have said is true, but the underlying problem still persists. These sports figures (plus many CEOs, etc) do not deserve the humungus salaries they get. rarity or not.

DigitalDave
08-07-2007, 12:09 PM
why not get all ethical ? I try to be as ethical and moral as I can. You should too.

Thats not what I mean, what I'm saying is you are questioning our values based on the way a sports athelete gets paid, as if it is somehow morally wrong because a teacher doesn't get paid millions. That doesn't mean society values the athelete more than the teacher, it just means an athlete has greater market value. They are worth more because of their rare talents. You are somehow confusing market value with moral values.

uscitizen
08-07-2007, 12:40 PM
you and cawacko are trying to limit this to the what an athlete gets paid angle.
I am talking about what we consider more important. A sporting event, wide screen TV, big guzzler SUV, etc vs our childs education.

your minds are too narrow guys.

or are you just hitting that angle becuase you think you can win the argument by playing that angle vs encompassing what I am really saying ?

DigitalDave
08-07-2007, 01:14 PM

This is a direct quote usc, I'm not trying to limit anything. I am addressing this quote and saying that market value of a person does not represent what people value for their children morally. So because I take you literally, my mind is narrow? Geez man.... not so harsh!

From now on, I'll make sure to assume to know you aren't saying exactly what you mean.

uscitizen
08-07-2007, 01:16 PM
This is a direct quote usc, I'm not trying to limit anything. I am addressing this quote and saying that market value of a person does not represent what people value for their children morally. So because I take you literally, my mind is narrow? Geez man.... not so harsh!

From now on, I'll make sure to assume to know you aren't saying exactly what you mean.

I still stand beside that statement, and the others I have made concerning teachers salaries and lack of genuine concern by many parents about their childrens education.
Just because seperate different aspects of my views out on an issue into different posts means nothing.

DigitalDave
08-07-2007, 01:24 PM
I still stand beside that statement, and the others I have made concerning teachers salaries and lack of genuine concern by many parents about their childrens education.
Just because seperate my views out on an issue into different posts means nothing.

You can't get an argument on that us, that's all based on a matter of oppinion on what is sufficient to be considered 'concerned'. Frankly, I agree with you that parents aren't as involved in a child's education as they should be. However, I don't think a teacher's salary reflects that concern at all because then you are just dealing with market value once again.

There are thousands of schools in Ohio, yet there is only one major basketball team, two major football teams, and two major baseball teams. There are about 25 students to one teacher, yet about a million fans per team. You see, that was a lousy comparison to what society morally values.

uscitizen
08-07-2007, 01:43 PM
You can't get an argument on that us, that's all based on a matter of oppinion on what is sufficient to be considered 'concerned'. Frankly, I agree with you that parents aren't as involved in a child's education as they should be. However, I don't think a teacher's salary reflects that concern at all because then you are just dealing with market value once again.

There are thousands of schools in Ohio, yet there is only one major basketball team, two major football teams, and two major baseball teams. There are about 25 students to one teacher, yet about a million fans per team. You see, that was a lousy comparison to what society morally values.

yeah but I knew personally of people in FL that would pay big bucks to go see the bucks play but whine over the cost text books in school.

Or buying a wide screen to watch the stupor bowl.

different perspectives on the same issue.

DigitalDave
08-07-2007, 01:50 PM
yeah but I knew personally of people in FL that would pay big bucks to go see the bucks play but whine over the cost text books in school.

Or buying a wide screen to watch the stupor bowl.

different perspectives on the same issue.

The Bucs suck! Shoulda bought more books, I agree! lol