PDA

View Full Version : Just Your Usual Dean Supporter

toby
08-20-2006, 10:13 AM
And a fine liberal! LOL

Typical lib nut job!

>Arrest follows years of outrage
Vermont woman on diverted flight long a critic of US

Mayo, 59, of Braintree, Vt., was arrested Wednesday aboard a Washington, D.C.-bound flight that was diverted to Logan International Airport after she made suspicious remarks, startled passengers and crew with her behavior, and resisted efforts to calm her. It was the first major air scare since British authorities broke up a terrorist plot last week, triggering a tightening of flight security worldwide.

Mayo was charged yesterday with intimidating flight crew members and interfering with the crew, a federal felony punishable by up to 20 years in prison. Her court-appointed lawyer, Page Kelley, said Mayo suffers from mental illness, and authorities plan to determine if she is mentally competent to stand trial.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/08/18/arrest_follows_years_of_outrage/?page=full

toby
08-20-2006, 10:35 AM
>Mayo's son, Josh, 31, described his mother as a peace activist and said she had been in Pakistan since March. She has traveled there often since making a pen pal before Sept. 11, 2001. The pen pal hasn't been allowed to visit the United States, he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060818/ap_on_re_us/flight_diverted

Annie
08-20-2006, 01:04 PM
>Mayo's son, Josh, 31, described his mother as a peace activist and said she had been in Pakistan since March. She has traveled there often since making a pen pal before Sept. 11, 2001. The pen pal hasn't been allowed to visit the United States, he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060818/ap_on_re_us/flight_diverted

I'm quickly losing confidence in the FBI, another reason that I fear people will do the profiling, with unfair results. That is the price of a government more concerned with multicultualism, than safety. Also from the Boston paper:

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...92&format=text

Feds feared Vermont woman was part of terrorist plot
By Jessica Heslam
Boston Herald Media Reporter
Thursday, August 17, 2006 - Updated: 04:18 PM EST

A Vermont woman whose bizarre behavior forced a Washington, D.C.-bound plan to make a dramatic landing in Boston yesterday was thought to be a diversion for a “possible terrorist attack,” according to an FBI affidavit released today.

One of two male passengers - either a U.S. air marshal and a correction officer - whose help was solicited by the flight crew “had become concerned that she might be acting as a diversion for a possible terrorist action,” according to the affidavit...

...Officials have determined that Mayo has no terrorist ties...

OrnotBitwise
08-20-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm quickly losing confidence in the FBI, another reason that I fear people will do the profiling, with unfair results. That is the price of a government more concerned with multicultualism, than safety. Also from the Boston paper:

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...92&format=textMulti-culturalism is more important than safety, at least in the long run. Multi-culturalism is the very essence of liberty and, as Benjamin Franklin said, "they that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Damocles
08-20-2006, 02:32 PM
The Free Market is the utlimate expression of liberty. When the market truly becomes free "multi-culturalism" is just one thing that would be the result... a symptom, not the cause, of freedom.

Annie
08-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Multi-culturalism is more important than safety, at least in the long run. Multi-culturalism is the very essence of liberty and, as Benjamin Franklin said, "they that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I disagree wholeheartedly. If someone wishes to legally come to the shores of the USA, we should welcome them, on that we agree. Now, I would say that with that choice to come, there is a requirement to adapt to our mores and culture. That certainly doesn't preclude the expression of the homeland culture and mores within your home/community, as long as they do not clash with American.

If that is too much, the immigrant should have remained in the home country.

Gaffer
08-20-2006, 06:00 PM
I don't agree with muliticulturalism. I believe in assimilation. Anyone coming here needs to learn the language and assimilate. Become an American or stay out.

As for the woman on the plane. She was visiting a pen pal who is banned from coming here. hmmmmm, makes you wonder why? But like all the other incidents that go on here there's no terrorist threat.

pakistani muslim shoots five women in Oregan.

11 egyptians disappear enroute to a school in Montana.

two men arrested in possesion of 1000 cell phones

three men arrested in possesion of 500 cell phones. These following FBI warning to police to be alert for middleeast men buying large quanities of cell phones.

Nothing terror related here folks. its just swamp gas.

toby
08-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Ornot proves my point, liberals are just plain nuts! Multiculturalism is more important than saftey??? LOL

OrnotBitwise
08-21-2006, 01:38 PM
The Free Market is the utlimate expression of liberty. When the market truly becomes free "multi-culturalism" is just one thing that would be the result... a symptom, not the cause, of freedom.I disagree. Without the ability to maintain a distinct sub-culture, there's little real liberty for anyone not born to the dominant cultural tradition.

One of the fallacies that the strict Marxists and the free-marketers share in common is the idea that the economic system is dominant within society. That the economy is the most fundamental facet of culture. It is extremely important, obviously, but it isn't the whole enchilada.

OrnotBitwise
08-21-2006, 01:39 PM
I disagree wholeheartedly. If someone wishes to legally come to the shores of the USA, we should welcome them, on that we agree. Now, I would say that with that choice to come, there is a requirement to adapt to our mores and culture. That certainly doesn't preclude the expression of the homeland culture and mores within your home/community, as long as they do not clash with American.

If that is too much, the immigrant should have remained in the home country.
What you mean, of course, is so long as they don't clash with your values. :D

IHateGovernment
08-21-2006, 01:44 PM
there is a requirement to adapt to our mores and culture

What culture would that be?

IHateGovernment
08-21-2006, 01:47 PM
I believe in assimilation. Anyone coming here needs to learn the language and assimilate. Become an American or stay out.

Assimiliate into what? I hear a lot of people say learn English but this is the only thing they get specific about. But if this is the only thing why not just say learn English instead of assimilate or become part of "our" culture.

Whats really between the lines with you guys that you aren't saying.

Really I'd like someone to come out and say it.

OrnotBitwise
08-21-2006, 01:51 PM
there is a requirement to adapt to our mores and culture

What culture would that be?
That's the very question I would ask, though put more succinctly.

In a sense, there is no such thing as "American culture." The country's too big for that. There are many American cultures, not all of which get along harmoniously.

Personally, I've no problem with this state of affairs.

Cypress
08-21-2006, 01:58 PM
I believe in assimilation. Anyone coming here needs to learn the language and assimilate. Become an American or stay out.

Assimiliate into what? I hear a lot of people say learn English but this is the only thing they get specific about. But if this is the only thing why not just say learn English instead of assimilate or become part of "our" culture.

Whats really between the lines with you guys that you aren't saying.

Really I'd like someone to come out and say it.

"Star Trek, Next Generation" theme music playing in background:

We are the Borg collective. You will assimilate.

OrnotBitwise
08-21-2006, 02:04 PM
"Star Trek, Next Generation" theme music playing in background:

We are the Borg collective. You will assimilate.Can I be assimilated by Jeri Ryan?

Bad! Bad liberal! No tofu!

Damocles
08-21-2006, 02:15 PM
I disagree. Without the ability to maintain a distinct sub-culture, there's little real liberty for anyone not born to the dominant cultural tradition.

One of the fallacies that the strict Marxists and the free-marketers share in common is the idea that the economic system is dominant within society. That the economy is the most fundamental facet of culture. It is extremely important, obviously, but it isn't the whole enchilada.

It is just one of the largest pieces. The free market opens doors for those in the minority. Many businesses begin to specifically market to them (spanish tv, russian tv, al jazeera the largest new subscription news)...

The free market is the first necessity in ensuring a continued minority culture in multi-culture nations.

Annie
08-21-2006, 05:06 PM
What you mean, of course, is so long as they don't clash with your values. :D

No, I don't mean that at all. You are liberal, no? You clash with many of my beliefs I'm sure. I still am not saying you shouldn't be here. :p However, if you do not want to speak/learn English or at least have your school aged children do so, why would you come here? Why should we 'welcome you?' If you believe that the laws from your culture, that protect your religion, mores, and culture should be brought here? That these would include honor killings and the like. Sorry, I'm NOT that broadminded, or suicidal.