PDA

View Full Version : any fishing people out there?

bob
07-25-2007, 03:29 PM
14 day and counting... i cant wait, i am heading up to voyager national park for our yearly outing, fishing hasnt been as good as it has been this summer in years... or so they say. but most of all i just cant wait to get away and dissconected, no phone's no work, and no soberness!!! needless to say i am not being vary productive at work now, got fishing on my mind:tongout:

Battleborne
07-25-2007, 06:05 PM
14 day and counting... i cant wait, i am heading up to voyager national park for our yearly outing, fishing hasnt been as good as it has been this summer in years... or so they say. but most of all i just cant wait to get away and dissconected, no phone's no work, and no soberness!!! needless to say i am not being vary productive at work now, got fishing on my mind:tongout:

And what type of fish is caught?...Never mind ya are probably just going for relaxation and cold beer...I usually hit the lakes with the buds...for some serious fishing... lake trout and bass...but it never works out for the fish in the pan so much...but hey the beer,scenery and comradship are usually outstanding!

Damocles
07-25-2007, 07:43 PM
I love the lake trout, but I usually do the ice fishing thing, the summer is better taken up with other fun outings.

Beefy
07-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Muskie, Smallmouth, northerns. I envy you bob. That place is near boundary waters right?

I used to go canoeing into Quetico Provincial park in canada every august. No motors, no radios, no electronics allowed for a week. You pack in your shit, and you live off the fat of the land. Spectacular. Have fun old boy.

Battleborne
07-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Muskie, Smallmouth, northerns. I envy you bob. That place is near boundary waters right?

I used to go canoeing into Quetico Provincial park in canada every august. No motors, no radios, no electronics allowed for a week. You pack in your shit, and you live off the fat of the land. Spectacular. Have fun old boy.

In this comment I believe ya...'Fat of the land'...thats Beefy...the former Hot Tub...now turned Carnie Dude...for a month or so..as he said..did I ever tell ya how much I hate 'Carnies'...LOL

Addendum: Oh I forgot to mention...since I no longer am collecting classic OB motors....I will sell ya a classic...Clinton Chief 5 1/2 hp ob....great canoe motor as it is Air Cooled and dates back to about 1960 something...it is a hard sell...wonder why...not related to Billy Bob..but oh well thats life!

Beefy
07-25-2007, 08:26 PM
In this comment I believe ya...'Fat of the land'...thats Beefy...the former Hot Tub...now turned Carnie Dude...for a month or so..as he said..did I ever tell ya how much I hate 'Carnies'...LOL

Addendum: Oh I forgot to mention...since I no longer am collecting classic OB motors....I will sell ya a classic...Clinton Chief 5 1/2 hp ob....great canoe motor as it is Air Cooled and dates back to about 1960 something...it is a hard sell...wonder why...not related to Billy Bob..but oh well thats life!

Yeah, carnies are the worst. But I'm going to be working at the carnival in Monroe and Puyallup selling hot tubs. It's amazing, beyond amazing how many people buy spas at the fair. But every year, the carnies use our display tubs after hours and leave it with a yellow, crusty foam. Its disgusting.

Sounds like a good motor, but I won't be needing it where I'm going.

Cypress
07-25-2007, 08:30 PM

Give it up, dude.

None of that wilderness experience in Hawaii. Well, except for maybe backpacking on the island of Kuai. :pke:

Beefy
07-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Give it up, dude.

None of that wilderness experience in Hawaii. Well, except for maybe backpacking on the island of Kuai. :pke:

I knew you'd be hatin' on me.

Cypress
07-25-2007, 08:36 PM
hawaii's cool, dude. I'm just teasing!

Beefy
07-25-2007, 08:51 PM
hawaii's cool, dude. I'm just teasing!

Not as cool as Bakersfield! I envy you. :D

bob
07-26-2007, 02:28 PM
And what type of fish is caught?...Never mind ya are probably just going for relaxation and cold beer...I usually hit the lakes with the buds...for some serious fishing... lake trout and bass...but it never works out for the fish in the pan so much...but hey the beer,scenery and comradship are usually outstanding!

well mainly we fish walleyes, but we go for northen pike and small mouth bass as well, but your right, its not all that big of deal if we dont catch much, even if we do we release just about everything we catch, except enough for a good shore lunch. mmmm walleye checks

bob
07-26-2007, 02:36 PM

ya its just west of the boundry waters, we all got lazy as we aged, plus grampa still goes he is 85, and he is the one that will protest if we dont camp. we go to lake kapatogama, moters are allowed and we bring 2 21 foot crestliner fishing boats... it get pretty nut up there sometimes, last year we had 4-5 foot waves. rainny lake witch is ust north is 45 miles long.

we used to do the canoe trips yearly, and we would pack like we had moter boats, people always gave us the buggeyes thinkinhg we were nuts... maybe we were/are, we had chairs, 20 # propane tanks, coolers lots of bevrage/ beer. but we got lazy. thats ok

bob
07-26-2007, 02:41 PM
i think next year we are going to plan a flyin again in canada, last time we went to a lake called stone lake, it was beautifull, and the fishing was incredable, ya couldnt keep the fish off your line unless you didnt put one in... i cought a 42" northen with a 18" girth, ON 8LB TEST, took almost an hour and a half to land it, and after that the effing fish bit throught both pairs of leather gloves i had on one hand, the tooth hit the bone in my thumb. hurt like hell ... but it was well worth it

bob
07-26-2007, 02:42 PM
ahhh man now i am getting all gitty again

Battleborne
07-26-2007, 03:10 PM
well mainly we fish walleyes, but we go for northen pike and small mouth bass as well, but your right, its not all that big of deal if we dont catch much, even if we do we release just about everything we catch, except enough for a good shore lunch. mmmm walleye checks

Nothing like the smell of fresh caught fish on the old camp fire...albeit I prefer deep sea fish...but the view and smell is better at a forrested lake or stream!

ib1yysguy
07-26-2007, 04:32 PM
I took up fishing this summer in fact and bought a canoe and got the outside rhino lined so i can take it down some serious rivers. I just got back from a 14-day fishing trip in a neighboring state and had a wonderful time.

Battleborne
07-26-2007, 06:07 PM
I took up fishing this summer in fact and bought a canoe and got the outside rhino lined so i can take it down some serious rivers. I just got back from a 14-day fishing trip in a neighboring state and had a wonderful time.

Wanna buy a classic Clinton 'Chief' air cooled era 1960's 5 1/2 hp canoe ob?Beats paddleling everytime!

Beefy
07-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Wanna buy a classic Clinton 'Chief' air cooled era 1960's 5 1/2 hp canoe ob?Beats paddleling everytime!

Just curious, is it a two or four stroke?

Battleborne
07-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Just curious, is it a two or four stroke?

a two stroke...what do ya expect from a 'Clinton'...but it does still runs great!

Not Billy mind ya but the 'Chief'...way before his time!...comes with a tank too..wanna make a reasonable offer....I know longer am collecting ob classic motors! and I keep tripping on it in the bedroom..lol any cool offer will be accepted! Shipping extra though at cost!

Beefy
07-26-2007, 07:42 PM
a two stroke...what do ya expect from a 'Clinton'...but it does still runs great!

Not Billy mind ya but the 'Chief'...way before his time!...comes with a tank too..wanna make a reasonable offer....I know longer am collecting ob classic motors! and I keep tripping on it in the bedroom..lol any cool offer will be accepted! Shipping extra though at cost!

I'm not in the market for it. And you misspelled "no". Anyhow, sounds like a cool piece. Put up a picture if you have one.

uscitizen
07-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Bob, finally pulled my boat into the workshop to get it ready to roar.

Picked up some new fishing line and an new ultralight spinning rod too.

gonna be fishing again soon.

Beefy
07-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Bob, finally pulled my boat into the workshop to get it ready to roar.

Picked up some new fishing line and an new ultralight spinning rod too.

gonna be fishing again soon.
What do you fish for? Crappie? Ultralights are a lot of fun for bait fish.

Battleborne
07-26-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm not in the market for it. And you misspelled "no". Anyhow, sounds like a cool piece. Put up a picture if you have one.

Yes I did make a sp error..just too lazy to correct...about the pic no way jose...this would be against the board rules as per advertising(trying to get me banned?... lol)..I just brought it up in general conversation..one on one ...it is very cool...no reverse..but has a 360 degree turn radius...is light weight short shaft//perfect for canoes...not good for lakes/rivers that have the ecology standards of today...but great in off beaten pathways...

Damocles
07-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Yes I did make a sp error..just too lazy to correct...about the pic no way jose...this would be against the board rules as per advertising(trying to get me banned?... lol)..I just brought it up in general conversation..one on one ...it is very cool...no reverse..but has a 360 degree turn radius...is light weight short shaft//perfect for canoes...not good for lakes/rivers that have the ecology standards of today...but great in off beaten pathways...
Nah, you'd be fine. If you have a pic of the motor, put it in "Anything Goes", the rules state that you just have to ask.

Battleborne
07-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Nah, you'd be fine. If you have a pic of the motor, put it in "Anything Goes", the rules state that you just have to ask.

I would...however I don't have any pics of it...and my digi cam passed away...too cheap to buy another one as I no longer sell on E-bay...I only have two motors left...the Clinton Chief(1960) and a 1956 Johnson Sea Horse 5 1/2 hp...both good runners...collecting dust and a trip hazard!

Battleborne
07-27-2007, 12:28 PM

Alot of fun to fly also...and are you refering to the fly guy bait bunnies? Some are crappy others keepers!...lol

Crashk
08-02-2007, 01:40 AM
ive been out fishin in the deep blue sea
fished the rivers and the lakes and the clear mountain streams
fished with nets in florida, crank bait in tennesse
caught some lunkers up in canada and walleye out of erie
but if you like catfishin, and ya wanna do it right
we'll fish along mosquito creek around midnight

they built a new bridge and dug a hole in the creek
it was swampy and thick but the fishin was sweet
put some gizzards in a jar and leave em bout a week
ya need some stink bait when you fish down at the creek

(chorus)
swattin mosquitos down at the old fishin hole
got me a catfish dancin on the end of my pole
skeeders are bitin but I cant let go of my pole

ya gotta get there right around dark
and hike thru the brush from where ya gotta park
lug some coolers full of beer, start a fire in the rocks
find a place for your chair, put some skinnard on the box
put the gizzards in a sock and throw em in upstream
let the current take that rotten smell from here to new orleans
this aint now fishin story, I swear on my aunt Maybell
to catfish rotten gizzards smell like dinner on the table
(chorus)

put a crawler on your hook and set a tight line
sit back, crack a beer and have a good time
it starts with a nibble and turns into a bite
ya give a good yank and ya really gotta fight
cause he's twistin and turnin and ya havent got much time
and he's runnin down stream and he's sure to bust your line
so ya keep the pressure on him, reel him in when he slows
put the big ones on the stringer... let the little ones go

got me a catfish dancin on the end of my pole
Mosquito Creek, route 5, Ohio

LOL
they say "write about what you know"
southern rock kinda tune, I play all the instruments,
if you listen, try headphones as my mixing isnt the greatest

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2362&alid=-1

Crashk
08-02-2007, 01:48 AM
I play all the instruments

oops, except drums

uscitizen
08-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Actually whatever will bite :)
Crappie, Bass, bluegill, Muskies. I like catching big Muskies on ultralight 6lb rigs. Muskies have to be 30" + here to keep.
I also fly fish. Trout and bluegill.

If I need catfish to eat , Primacord works well.

uscitizen
08-02-2007, 08:46 AM
[/B]

Alot of fun to fly also...and are you refering to the fly guy bait bunnies? Some are crappy others keepers!...lol

Crappie are some of the best tastin fresh water fish there is.

Crashk
08-02-2007, 12:52 PM
One of my favorites is corbina fishing along the beaches of S.Cal.
dig a sandcrab about quarter to half dollar size, set up a lindy or carolina rig with about 1/2 to 1 oz of weight and cast as close to the breaking waves as you can. the surf stirs up the sand exposing the crabs and the fish are behind the waves eatin the crabs. Fun stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_corbina

bob
08-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Crappie are some of the best tastin fresh water fish there is.

ill second that.. atleast it is next to walleye ... mmmm waleye

bob
08-02-2007, 03:26 PM
just 7 more days... ill be sitting in a captins chair getting silly drunk and stoned to the bone, chilling.... weathe should be nice too, upper 70's to mid 80's during the day, lows in the low to mid 50's... perfect sleeping weather.

shit i am already packed, i cant wait to get away form this life consuming place we call the work place

bob
08-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Actually whatever will bite :)
Crappie, Bass, bluegill, Muskies. I like catching big Muskies on ultralight 6lb rigs. Muskies have to be 30" + here to keep.
I also fly fish. Trout and bluegill.

If I need catfish to eat , Primacord works well.

i just cought a 2lb largemouth bass in a flyrod at my cabin last weekend. fun as hell.

fly fishing is probably my fav, i just dont take the time for anymore like i used too, ill blame it on the women;) ... anyway i used to go fly for rambows and brooks all the time in sotheren minn, been up to the noorthshore only once to fly, much better fishing up there.

Beefy
08-02-2007, 05:10 PM
i just cought a 2lb largemouth bass in a flyrod at my cabin last weekend. fun as hell.

fly fishing is probably my fav, i just dont take the time for anymore like i used too, ill blame it on the women;) ... anyway i used to go fly for rambows and brooks all the time in sotheren minn, been up to the noorthshore only once to fly, much better fishing up there.

I've been fly fishing since I could stand. It's the most skillful and fun form of freshwater fishing in my opinion. Especially dry flies. Seeing that German brown break water and come at the fly and then pulling him in by grabbing the slack in front of the reel... Very very cool. My favorite part is the release, holding the fish facing upstream and watching him swim away. Beautiful.

I'm fortunate too. I have access to a private 2600 acre ranch in the eastern sierra with 7 miles of blue ribbon stream, the Owens River, and a nice little cabin overlooking it. Freakin' spectacular, I'm heading up there with my best friend in a couple of weeks.

Sadly, tooth #8 will be in absentia.

bob
08-07-2007, 03:43 PM
just 33 more hours and i am out of here

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

uscitizen
08-07-2007, 07:42 PM
gonna be darned hot. But have a great time.

bob
08-23-2007, 05:50 AM
gonna be darned hot. But have a great time.

it was... vary hot... too hot for my likeins

but thats alright, we just had had to make more trips to the bar for more ice, o and maybe a few drinks.... ok not just a few.

but any way the fishing sucked again... to hot, we did have better luck this year rather then last, my cusion cought a 19" wally, a few snakes "small Northen pike" and a couple small mouth bass.

next year i think we are actuly going to go when its a lil cooler..... finaly

the food was the best part of the trip

we had pot roast w/ garlic mashed potatos, green beens 1st night
then stuffed porkchops same sides
then garlic rosted chikinbrests w/garlic roasted red potatos and carrots and rudabagas
last night we had smoked porkchops garlic mashed potatos green beans glazed carrots, fish chips for app... then we made a bluebarry cobler pie with fresh picked bluebarrys we picked from our campsite.

we ate good for camping i think.

i will see if i can post some pics, we had a great site, with gorgous weather besides the heat.

good times

uscitizen
08-23-2007, 06:33 AM

but thats alright, we just had had to make more trips to the bar for more ice, o and maybe a few drinks.... ok not just a few.

but any way the fishing sucked again... to hot, we did have better luck this year rather then last, my cusion cought a 19" wally, a few snakes "small Northen pike" and a couple small mouth bass.

then garlic rosted chikinbrests w/garlic roasted red potatos and carrots and rudabagas
last night we had smoked porkchops garlic mashed potatos green beans glazed carrots, fish chips for app... then we made a bluebarry cobler pie with fresh picked bluebarrys we picked from our campsite.

i will see if i can post some pics, we had a great site, with gorgous weather besides the heat.

good times

Glad to see ya back Bob, yeah hot.. next time remember hAhdgrenades are good prozimity baits. Use the concussive ones the frag ones sort of mess up the fish.

bob
08-23-2007, 06:58 AM
LOL

ya i forgot the dynimite

Damocles
08-23-2007, 06:59 AM
LOL

ya i forgot the dynimite
You can do like the Simpson's movie...

uscitizen
08-23-2007, 07:08 AM
LOL

ya i forgot the dynimite

And primacord makes a good trotline.

Care4all
08-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Sunfish, striped Bass and Perch, on the St Lawrence river, upstate New York, near Canada, was the absolute best fishing of my life!!!!!! I was 8 years old and my dad and mom took us up there on a camping trip, for vacation...we stayed a week, and every day we slid those live worms on those hooks on our fishing poles, not rods, sitting on the dock, just watching those bobbers, until they bobbed!!!! Less THAN A MINUTE, before you caught another one!!!! it was awesome, we got in a contest with eachother, Dad, my sister, and me.....mom stayed in the cabin cleaning and getting ready for the cooking of them....plus we needed one on one time with my dad who worked all the time, usually....and my mom had us and one on ones, pretty much 24/7.....so this was bonding with dad time, I presume, and looking back on it.... :)

And this was it...hook, line and sinker! We mostly fished fresh water....lakes with bobbers and poles and rivers with flies....

Then, near decades later, I met my husband, who was from Tampa and he liked to Salt water fish....we used to go fishing off the different bridges on Tampa Bay....using live shrimp or fresh squid... and on the Gulf, st pete side, we used spoons, shiners, off a local pier....

And then after we became serious and were engaged to be married we went on vacation down to the Keys, Islamorada, to be exact, purely for fishing, every day, and we did a variety of fishing trips.... a full day charter where we caught tons of green dolphin fish, a half day charter where it was a boat filled with fisherman, unlike the yaght with just a few of us, where we caught a bunch of yellowtail one night and a bunch of Red Snapper another night, (and the local restaurants would cook it for you for a minimal fee for potatoes and veggies and salad and bread :) ),

and we rented a small craft, where we went out fishing on our own....we have great pictures of this.... and a shot of me holding the fishing line of maybe a 4 lb Mackeral that I caught, up in the air for a photo, at least 18 inches out of the water, and the precise next shot was a shot of the Mackeral's HEAD ONLY..... a Baracuda, jumped out of the water, and snapped off the entire body of the Spanish Makeral from my line of which my hand was maybe a foot away from....

I think my jaw was dropped open for the rest of the day in shock of what had just happened.... and also, because we were still alive after snorkeling in the same waters with these baracudas, right before we began the chumming and the fishing....:shock: we also had a sting ray, maybe a manta(sp?) ray go under our skip that was at least 7 feet round and who knows with the stinger/tail????? yikes again!

I went on a fishing trip with my boss once and some other employees where he rented a private charter and we went out from Ft Laud in to the Atlantic, and he ended up catching a 9 1/2 ft golden Hammerhead Shark on supposedly 15 lb test line, which took him 3 hours to real in.... of which he had stuffed and hung in his office with pictures of the trip framed.... :)

We are very much looking forward to Ice Fishing up here....don't know a thing about it, but all winter on the local news they feature small children and their "Catch of the Day" pictures of who caught some big ass fish with their Dad's, ice fishing....think they are Bass??? But uncertain??? What's the trick to it? What kind of bait?

Care

bob
08-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Sunfish, striped Bass and Perch, on the St Lawrence river, upstate New York, near Canada, was the absolute best fishing of my life!!!!!! I was 8 years old and my dad and mom took us up there on a camping trip, for vacation...we stayed a week, and every day we slid those live worms on those hooks on our fishing poles, not rods, sitting on the dock, just watching those bobbers, until they bobbed!!!! Less THAN A MINUTE, before you caught another one!!!! it was awesome, we got in a contest with eachother, Dad, my sister, and me.....mom stayed in the cabin cleaning and getting ready for the cooking of them....plus we needed one on one time with my dad who worked all the time, usually....and my mom had us and one on ones, pretty much 24/7.....so this was bonding with dad time, I presume, and looking back on it.... :)

And this was it...hook, line and sinker! We mostly fished fresh water....lakes with bobbers and poles and rivers with flies....

Then, near decades later, I met my husband, who was from Tampa and he liked to Salt water fish....we used to go fishing off the different bridges on Tampa Bay....using live shrimp or fresh squid... and on the Gulf, st pete side, we used spoons, shiners, off a local pier....

And then after we became serious and were engaged to be married we went on vacation down to the Keys, Islamorada, to be exact, purely for fishing, every day, and we did a variety of fishing trips.... a full day charter where we caught tons of green dolphin fish, a half day charter where it was a boat filled with fisherman, unlike the yaght with just a few of us, where we caught a bunch of yellowtail one night and a bunch of Red Snapper another night, (and the local restaurants would cook it for you for a minimal fee for potatoes and veggies and salad and bread :) ),

and we rented a small craft, where we went out fishing on our own....we have great pictures of this.... and a shot of me holding the fishing line of maybe a 4 lb Mackeral that I caught, up in the air for a photo, at least 18 inches out of the water, and the precise next shot was a shot of the Mackeral's HEAD ONLY..... a Baracuda, jumped out of the water, and snapped off the entire body of the Spanish Makeral from my line of which my hand was maybe a foot away from....

I think my jaw was dropped open for the rest of the day in shock of what had just happened.... and also, because we were still alive after snorkeling in the same waters with these baracudas, right before we began the chumming and the fishing....:shock: we also had a sting ray, maybe a manta(sp?) ray go under our skip that was at least 7 feet round and who knows with the stinger/tail????? yikes again!

I went on a fishing trip with my boss once and some other employees where he rented a private charter and we went out from Ft Laud in to the Atlantic, and he ended up catching a 9 1/2 ft golden Hammerhead Shark on supposedly 15 lb test line, which took him 3 hours to real in.... of which he had stuffed and hung in his office with pictures of the trip framed.... :)

We are very much looking forward to Ice Fishing up here....don't know a thing about it, but all winter on the local news they feature small children and their "Catch of the Day" pictures of who caught some big ass fish with their Dad's, ice fishing....think they are Bass??? But uncertain??? What's the trick to it? What kind of bait?

Care

nice.... you husband got lucky with you... you like to fish, i wish my lady did, but atleast she make the trip everyonece in a while, she just tans and reads. works for me.

that would be crazy t catch a shark... i have done much slatwater fishing... unless you call keeping a saltwater aquarium fishing :rolleyes: hopefully next year, we might be going to the carabein again and i will make it a point to go fishing, no if ands or but about it.

Ice fishing.... ooooo ice fishing what a wounderfull sport
i perfer fishing in an ice house, as i am sure you will too,
basicly its like sitting in a cabin with hole in the bottom, the one we have has a fireplace, 2 folddown bunks tv, radio and 2 lazyboys, we also have a card table that lowers from the celling .... good times

usaly i am past the leagle limit for walking after a good night of ice fishing, hence the bunks.

ice fishing luers and bait are lil diffrent in the winter, much smaller, and usaly we just use minnows for live bait, they keep the best, as long as they dont freeze. it also depends what your fishing for, i usaly fish for crappie on ice.

hope you get out there and try it, its not for every one but atleast get out there and try it, who knows you may fall in love with the sport

bob
08-23-2007, 11:15 AM
i would also find someone who has been ice fishing the area for a while if you are new to it, your sucsess will be much better but not garanteed.

BE CAREFULL, there are alot of dangers with ice, you can grow up knowing ice and frozen lakes, the miniute you losse respect for ice is when you are in trouble

Battleborne
08-23-2007, 11:29 AM

good times

Now thats what I call super camping...your menu beats anything I ever had...can I go camping with y'all?... the hell with the fish I will stay near the cooking site...:cool:

Timshel
08-23-2007, 11:50 PM
I can't stand fishing with a pole. Like watching paint dry.

Might be due to youth spent commercial fishing. When you see a boat so full with fish that you are frantically bailing water to keep from sinking it kind of makes a full stringer seem pretty weak.

bob
08-24-2007, 04:48 AM
I can't stand fishing with a pole. Like watching paint dry.

Might be due to youth spent commercial fishing. When you see a boat so full with fish that you are frantically bailing water to keep from sinking it kind of makes a full stringer seem pretty weak.

hey that happens every ounce in a while with a pole... when i was in canada we would have our walleye limit within 15 -25 min

i think on morning we were out for about 4 hours we counted how many we cought, i think it was around 100 or just over, fun as hell.

but i guess i could see where you are coming from