PDA

View Full Version : Is this statement true

klaatu
08-18-2006, 07:48 AM
"For years the Democratic candidate was the one that smiled; the Republican candidate was the one that was angry. Now, there are always exceptions to this, and I'm sure you can come up with 10 of them. But basically, Republicans practiced the politics of anger, and Democrats practiced the politics of hope. And all that began to change in 1994, and it finally came to fruition in 2000. And now it's the Democrats who are angry and the Republicans who are hopeful."

Immanuel
08-18-2006, 07:56 AM
I don't know, Klaatu, John Kerry always had one of those smug, "just-give-me-a-chance-and-I-will-screw-you-until-you-are-blue-in-the-face" kind of smiles during the campaign. Seems to me that Hillary has the same smile. Ted Kennedy's smile is just a drunken smile so there are three quick examples for you. Then again Cheney's got evil piercing eyes and a frown that would stop a ferocious tiger in its tracks. Bush has a dumbfounded look (smile) on his face all the time.

I don't think that statement is necessarily true.

Immie

maineman
08-18-2006, 08:56 AM
I am angry at the past six years...I am extremely hopeful about the future

Damocles
08-18-2006, 09:00 AM
I have been hopeful for our nation since the time of Reagan. I will continue to be hopeful for our future.

uscitizen
08-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Smiling ? The republicans love affair with Charismatics ?

Cypress
08-18-2006, 09:44 AM
But basically, Republicans practiced the politics of anger, and Democrats practiced the politics of hope. And all that began to change in 1994, and it finally came to fruition in 2000.

LOL

How old are you? The 1990s was the decade of republican anger, and the angry while male voter. Its when angry talk radio took off. It all started with hate for clinton.

Damocles
08-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Nah, it was before Clinton. It was "Welfare Queens" that got them all riled up. This movement began before Clinton and came to a head with the Contract With America. It was when they brought forward a plan, more than just "anger" that they finally acheived success. Unfortunately they didn't continue with such a plan, they just let that fall and let "compassionate Conservativism" (whatever that really means it isn't conservative) take over the Party...

OrnotBitwise
08-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Nah, it was before Clinton. It was "Welfare Queens" that got them all riled up. This movement began before Clinton and came to a head with the Contract With America. It was when they brought forward a plan, more than just "anger" that they finally acheived success. Unfortunately they didn't continue with such a plan, they just let that fall and let "compassionate Conservativism" (whatever that really means it isn't conservative) take over the Party...
I'll agree with that chronology. I remember getting quite . . . annoyed, lets say . . . with their ability to get themselves worked up over fables and self-generated mythology. Why, it sort of reminds one of a certain fellow with bad hair and a funny mustache . . . .

uscitizen
08-18-2006, 10:10 AM
But basically, Republicans practiced the politics of anger, and Democrats practiced the politics of hope. And all that began to change in 1994, and it finally came to fruition in 2000.

LOL

How old are you? The 1990s was the decade of republican anger, and the angry while male voter. Its when angry talk radio took off. It all started with hate for clinton.

Yes and angry talk radio is the result of Regan doing away with the fairness doctrine.
He started the buying of the media.

Immanuel
08-18-2006, 10:46 AM
I just realized that Cypress has the same kind of grin on his "avatars" face as Kerry and Hillary have. If I didn't know what he was trying to say, I would picture Cypress looking just like Tom DeLay.

Immie

klaatu
08-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Yes and angry talk radio is the result of Regan doing away with the fairness doctrine.
He started the buying of the media.

Oh boy ..here we go again ..... :rolleyes:

klaatu
08-18-2006, 11:08 AM

LOL

Not my words ... but you'll be surprised as to who's words they ... :cof1:
Which I will reveal at a later date ....

uscitizen
08-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Reveal in the full context ?

Damocles
08-18-2006, 11:37 AM
I think it is Rush talking about the "angry" people....

klaatu
08-18-2006, 11:47 AM
I think it is Rush talking about the "angry" people....

Oh here we go ... You sound like Cypress.. only he would have said Hannity ... :blah:

uscitizen
08-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Rush is one of the angry people. Of course he is his own faforite subject.

OrnotBitwise
08-18-2006, 11:49 AM
I think it's Howard Dean.

IHateGovernment
08-18-2006, 11:59 AM
It has been my observation that on many topics conservatives view them from a point of anger. Angry at terrorists, lazy people, government waste, bad behavior.

Liberals tend to view issues from an angle of sympathy or compassion. Sympathy for criminals, the poor, the disenfranchised.

Libertarians do a little of both but their main motivator is an unwillingness to bow down to authority.