PDA

View Full Version : The most underrated rock artists

klaatu
08-18-2006, 04:17 AM
I am going to appoach this froma Hall of Fame point of view, Artists who are eligible but not yet inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ...

Donovan

One of the most imaginative Song Writers of the 60's, as well being one of the decades ultimate flower power children. His music explored the counter culture, highlighting his interests of philosophy, spiritual path and rebellion. He was a consistent chart topper.
Jethro Tull

From the late 60's until the mid 70's there were 2 bands that led what was known has the hard rock movement. There was Led Zeppelin(fuseing early blues with R&R), Jethro Tull(fuseing Jazz,Blues with R&R) and basically.. all the rest. In the early 70's Progressive Rock hit the mainstream scene(fuseing jazz,classical, blues and R&R), Rock bands used the Arena to go full boar Rock Orchestration, there was Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis and Jethro Tull and all the rest. Jethro Tull is just as important of a band as Led Zep and/or Pink Floyd, why they are not in the Hall is anyones guess. Listen to some of Tulls music from the late 60's.. and then talk about great musicianship.
Tommy James & the Shondells

From the mid 60's until the early 70's this group was a tour deforce, During 1968-69 Tommy James and The Shondells sold more single records (45's) than any artist in the world, including The Beatles. Tommy has had 23 gold singles, 9 gold and platinum albums, and has sold over 100 million records worldwide. Qualifiers? What more can be said?

The Moody Blues

When voting for induction into the R&R Hall of Fame, the artist/Nominees should have demonstrable influence and significance within the history of the genre. Does anyone doubt that the Moddy Blues have met this criteria? Enough said, by the way ... who is surprised that The Moody Blues have not yet been inducted?
The Guess Who

Canadadian legends and a group that boasts a string of massive world-wide hits that includes "These Eyes", "Laughing", "No Time", "Undun", "Share the Land", "Hand Me Down World", "Clap for the Wolfman", "Albert Flasher", "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature", "Glamour Boy", "Star Baby", and of course, "American Woman", to name but a few. All still getting plenty of radio airtime. Now tell me, why have they not been inducted?

Blood, Sweat & Tears

One of the first Rock bands to fuse Jazz into the the ears of main stream fans. BS&T has two incarnations, the Al Kooper period, which is the heavier less commercial more jazzy era and then the David Clayton Thomas era, several top 10 songs. None the less, each era was highly productive and worth Hall recognition.
Genesis

Genesis enjoyed a long enduring career, first as a member of rockdoms Royal Progressive Artists under Peter Gabriels influence and then a strong shift towards mainstream R&B, under the heavy hand of Phil Collins. Combine the two era's and you have a highly productive and influential force, a Hall of Fame legacy.
Yes

The Original Yes of the 70's, with Rick Wakeman on keyboards was a force to be reckoned with. Like Genesis, a major influence on the progressive Rock front. The group underwent changes in the 80's to the point where they morphed into a pop band, but later reformed with the original lineup.
Electric Light Orchestra

Electric Light Orchestra took The Beatles "I am the Walrus" and built an act around the unique sound of that one particular song. That said, they steered classical string instruments to a new level in Rock & Roll. Their first few albums, progressive in nature, built around complex conceptual songs, layed the ground work for what would become one of the biggest hit making machines of the 70's. ELO passes all the tests to qualify as an elected member of the R&R Hall of Fame.
Supertramp

Supertramp is another one of those Progressive Rock force rooted in the 70's that get overlooked. This unit, fuseing Jazz and Rock set the world on fire with a series of well recieved Albums from the mid 70's unitl the early 80's. What made this band unique was the vocal stylings of their two lead singers, each had his own charasmatic approach.
Carpenters

Ok laugh and ridicule if you want to, but look at the list of inductees and pay close attention to the R&B artists from the 50's and early 60's. The Carpenters stand tall with all of them, if only for Karen Carpenters voice alone, which is in of itself one of the alltime greatest voices of any genre. The Rock & Roll Hall has already set precedent for inducting artists from different branches... R&B, Pop, Country Rock, Metal, Blues..., so the Carpenters, the masters of 70's AM POP have earned a place.
Neil Diamond

How does one define Neil Diamonds music, he of tin pan alley song craft? He is a guy that has an impressive history of writing songs for other artists as well as many notables for himself. He has successfully crossed over into several different genres including Rock, Pop, Country and R&B. A long enduring career and his concert tours are still in demand.
Laura Nyro

Like Diamond, Laura Nyro was a song writing force for others as well as a legendary performer on her own. Lets compare Laura Nyro and her influence on the genre to Blondie ... if you know anything about music you know this cannot be done. All you need to do is ask Blondie her self.
John Cougar Mellencamp

The way I see it, if Bruce Springsteen, Bill Joel and Bob Seger are Hall of Fame worthy, why isnt John Cougar Mellencamp? On a personal note.. I think I may appreciate his music more then the aformentioned 3! Cougar defined the 80's working class picket fence American lifestyle. Great homespun rock and a great career.
Dionne Warwick

Im going to use the same logic I used with John Cougar Mellencamp. If Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin and Gladys Knight are in the Hall, where is Dionne? Her legacy is to be viewed in the same scope as these 3. A great voice who dominated the airwaves for nearly 2 decades.

uscitizen
08-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Tull YES!

klaatu
08-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Tull YES!

You talk about Musicianship ... I will put Early Jethro Tull up against anybody... anybody!!

Blackflag
08-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Blood Sweat & Tears = YES

Moody Blues = YES

uscitizen
08-18-2006, 08:14 AM
You talk about Musicianship ... I will put Early Jethro Tull up against anybody... anybody!!

Amen.

Cypress
08-18-2006, 09:53 AM
I don't see how your list qualifies as "most under-rated". Your list is mostly comprised of superstar bands, that are established legends and are paid homage to by most in the rock community.

Bands that are not widely known, but were in the forefront of changing rock history were the Pixies (unheralded and unrecognized pioneers of alternative rock), the Sex Pistols (single-handedly destroyed 1970s disco music), and Faith No More (pioneers of the funk-metal phenomena of the 1990s)

Damocles
08-18-2006, 09:58 AM
The Sex Pistols are so totally not underrated. Everybody I know in music pays homage to the Sex Pistols...

Cypress
08-18-2006, 10:01 AM
The Sex Pistols are so totally not underrated. Everybody I know in music pays homage to the Sex Pistols...

rock musicians maybe.

But, the wider rock audience (fans mostly), remains largely unaware of the impact of the sex pistols. Mostly, all they know were that they were some scumy british punks named Johnie Rotten and Sid Vicious.

Damocles
08-18-2006, 10:06 AM
When Sid Vicious died they almost had to close our school. I really don't think the Sex Pistols are underrated. I think you hang with the wrong crowd...

:D

uscitizen
08-18-2006, 10:07 AM
I don't see how your list qualifies as "most under-rated". Your list is mostly comprised of superstar bands, that are established legends and are paid homage to by most in the rock community.

Bands that are not widely known, but were in the forefront of changing rock history were the Pixies (unheralded and unrecognized pioneers of alternative rock), the Sex Pistols (single-handedly destroyed 1970s disco music), and Faith No More (pioneers of the funk-metal phenomena of the 1990s)

all a mater of taste Cypress or lack thereof :)
It seems that bubblegum punk and such are now being called classic rock ???
Oh well I have just lived too long I suppose. But then I did not like the beatles when I was supposed to.

Cypress
08-18-2006, 10:08 AM
When Sid Vicious died they almost had to close our school. I really don't think the Sex Pistols are underrated. I think you hang with the wrong crowd...

:D

LOL

I had my Sex Pisols t-shirt in 10th grade.

And all the beatles and jethro-tull fans, (and Disco fans of course) looked on me with scorn

;)

Cypress
08-18-2006, 10:10 AM
all a mater of taste Cypress or lack thereof :)
It seems that bubblegum punk and such are now being called classic rock ???
Oh well I have just lived too long I suppose. But then I did not like the beatles when I was supposed to.

I don't like the beatles either. I'd put them down as most "over-rated" ;)

uscitizen
08-18-2006, 10:16 AM
But then I am a hillbilly and hate C&W, and did not care much for Elvis. Hard rock and roll hit a chord though. Liking a bands music and liking the band are two different things with me. I like AC/DC 's music but do not care to watch them at all.

OrnotBitwise
08-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Tull YES!
I third that motion.

OrnotBitwise
08-18-2006, 10:25 AM
I have all of Stand Up, This Was, Living in the Past and, of course, Aqualung on my iPod. :) Also chunks of Passion Play, Minstrel in the Gallery, Thick as a Brick and some tracks off most of their other albums. Yeah, even Heavy Horses.

Cypress
08-18-2006, 10:25 AM
I'll never forgot that award Tull got from the Grammy's for "best Metal album". They actually beat Metallica that year LOL.

Show's you how clueless the Grammy judges are. A band that has a flute player, is not "Metal".

uscitizen
08-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Even heavy horses, yes I understand that. I guess the band got some bad drugs or something when they made that one ;)

OrnotBitwise
08-18-2006, 10:27 AM
I'll never forgot that award Tull got from the Grammy's for "best Metal album". They actually beat Metallica that year LOL.

Show's you how clueless the Grammy judges are. A band that has a flute player, is not "Metal".
Guitar: metal ?
Flute: not metal ??

How's that work, exactly?

;)

uscitizen
08-18-2006, 10:28 AM
How about Frank Zappa and the mothers of invention ?

Cypress
08-18-2006, 10:31 AM
How about Frank Zappa and the mothers of invention ?

totally under-rated. that's a good call.

OrnotBitwise
08-18-2006, 10:34 AM
totally under-rated. that's a good call.I agree, though critics and musicians appreciated them more than the public did.

Here's one that's not so much under-rated as he us under-known and under-appreciated: Dick Dale.

uscitizen
08-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Never even heard of Dick Dale.
Put on some dynamo hum baby :)

OrnotBitwise
08-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Never even heard of Dick Dale.
I rest my case.

The Jeopardy answer to "Who is Dick Dale?" would probably read "Credited with starting both 'surfer rock' and heavy metal, this legendary guitarist almost never records but prefers playing live only."

Cypress
08-18-2006, 10:49 AM
I rest my case.

The Jeopardy answer to "Who is Dick Dale?" would probably read "Credited with starting both 'surfer rock' and heavy metal, this legendary guitarist almost never records but prefers playing live only."

Yeah, I've heard of Dick Dale. He's a local legend round these parts.

Cypress
08-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I've heard of Dick Dale. He's a local legend round these parts.

and you're right. He's the classic case of an underated rock artist.

Damocles
08-18-2006, 11:01 AM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned UFO...

Cypress
08-18-2006, 11:05 AM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned UFO...

A decent 1970s hard rock band.

But, did they really do anythng ground-breaking? Did they do anything that Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, or Deep Purple hadn't already done?

Damocles
08-18-2006, 11:17 AM
A decent 1970s hard rock band.

But, did they really do anythng ground-breaking? Did they do anything that Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, or Deep Purple hadn't already done?
They were better than all of these bands... They are the forgotten band of that Era.

klaatu
08-18-2006, 11:22 AM

Well ... I thought I tried to qualify it with my opening statement ....

The Sex Pistols!!!!!! puke ... vomit ... please pass the rolaids ....

One album and the noisest garbage I ever heard ... :duel:

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Jerry Lee Lewis

You've heard the expression, 'breaking down the barriers'? Well, JLL poured lighter fluid on them and burned them down, in terms of "showmanship in rock-n-roll". There is simply no way to describe the contributions of Lewis to rock music, he opened the door for entertainers to come, by pushing the envelope and challenging restraints of culture.

Marrying his minor cousin, was his downfall. The public never gave Lewis the credit he deserved for his contributions to rock and roll, and although it was entirely of his own doing, it doesn't take away from his gifted talent and innovations in the entertainment aspects of rock-n-roll music. Before Jerry Lee, no one ever even thought of "pyrotechnics" in their stage shows. Had he not encountered the wrath of social stigma for his personal life, he would have surpassed Elvis as the undisputed King of Rock-n-Roll, he was a gifted musician with a great voice and stage presence. Jerry Lee Lewis is often overlooked, when comprising a list of the greats, and with regard to "most underrated" he should definitely get a mention.

klaatu
08-18-2006, 11:25 AM
I agree, though critics and musicians appreciated them more than the public did.

Here's one that's not so much under-rated as he us under-known and under-appreciated: Dick Dale.

Great Call on Dale!! But I believe he is a Hall inductee ...

klaatu
08-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Even heavy horses, yes I understand that. I guess the band got some bad drugs or something when they made that one ;)

Metal sucks ... Tull should never have been insulted like that .... :eek:

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-18-2006, 11:30 AM
He's not really considered "rock" but I think a prime example of someone who is underrated in terms of music in general, is Gram Parsons. Most people don't even know who he is, and never realize they are listening to a Parsons song, but his contributions to rock/country/folk/alternative are tremendous.

klaatu
08-18-2006, 11:32 AM
I have all of Stand Up, This Was, Living in the Past and, of course, Aqualung on my iPod. :) Also chunks of Passion Play, Minstrel in the Gallery, Thick as a Brick and some tracks off most of their other albums. Yeah, even Heavy Horses.

You need to add Benefit to the list ....;)

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-18-2006, 06:11 PM
There are a helluva lot of dead artists that could be mentioned here. Artists who would have probably become great, had they not left us so soon.

Harry Chapin
Jim Croce
Buddy Holly
Duane Allman
Ronnie Van Zant
Gram Parsons
Alex Harvey
Van Morrison
Dennis Wilson
Bobby Darin

...I know I am missing someone.