PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Rock Albums of All Time

Cypress
08-17-2006, 02:34 PM
1) Led Zeppelin - 4: Best effort of the mighty Zep.

2) Nirvana – "Nevermind": Transformative. Grunge that changed the world.

3) AC/DC – "Back in Black": Pay homage to the quintessential hard rock album of all time, from the band Down Under.

4) Eagles – "Greatest Hits": No brainer. Who doesn’t have this one? Every song a classic.

5) Green Day – "Dookie": Transformative Pop-punk pioneers.

6) The Who – "Who’s Next": Don’t have it? Get it….

7) Guns and Roses: "Appetite for Destruction": Single-handedly deep-sixed lame 1980’s new wave posers, and phony metal hairbands.

8) Rolling Stones - "Sticky Fingers". Stones at their rawest and best. Should have retired after this one.

9) The Cure – "Disintegration": My personal all time favorite. Best band of the 1980s, and this is their best effort. Don't have it? Get it...

10) Credence Clearwater Revival – "Chronicle" (Greatest Hits): The standard for pure, deceptively simply American rock and roll. Clean and pure. Every song a classic.

OrnotBitwise
08-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Before we all start flaming, please define "greatest" in this context.

Tip o' the hat to AOI there.

Cypress
08-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Before we all start flaming, please define "greatest" in this context.

Tip o' the hat to AOI there.

LOL

I use the MTV VH1 standard for "greatest". It has to be an album that sold tremendoudly well, has stood the test of time, and contain multiple songs that are instantly recognizable to the majority of americans.

No putting lame, obscure albums by the New York Dolls for me. That would be a "personal" favorite. Not a "greatest" type of criteria.

OrnotBitwise
08-17-2006, 03:06 PM
LOL

I use the MTV VH1 standard for "greatest". It has to be an album that sold tremendoudly well, has stood the test of time, and contain multiple songs that are instantly recognizable to the majority of americans.

No putting lame, obscure albums by the New York Dolls for me. That would be a "personal" favorite. Not a "greatest" type of criteria.
In that case, you've missed a couple of essentials, I think.

Beatles: Sgt. Pepper and the White Album (a twofer)

CSNY: Four Way Street

evince
08-17-2006, 03:06 PM
No Beach boys , no Beatles No Dan hicks?

I think you may bne missing a few?

evince
08-17-2006, 03:10 PM
http://hometown.aol.com/PaulHry/music/riaa.html

Cypress
08-17-2006, 03:13 PM
In that case, you've missed a couple of essentials, I think.

Beatles: Sgt. Pepper and the White Album (a twofer)

CSNY: Four Way Street

Don't be a fuddy-duddy. ;)

I've already got four or five bands from the "classic" rock era of 1960s-to early 70s in there. I'm not into totally skewing it towards the ancient classic rock era.

I had to work in some of the time tested bands from the 1980s and 1990s.

Cypress
08-17-2006, 03:14 PM
No Beach boys , no Beatles No Dan hicks?

I think you may bne missing a few?

Who the heck is Dan Hicks.

Man, do I feel clueless. Never heard of him.

OrnotBitwise
08-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Don't be a fuddy-duddy. ;)

I've already got four or five bands from the "classic" rock era of 1960s-to early 70s in there. I'm not into totally skewing it towards the ancient classic rock era.

I had to work in some of the time tested bands from the 1980s and 1990s.
Ah, but there's that "test of time" criterion.

Cypress
08-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Ah, but there's that "test of time" criterion.

I think 15 years is enough time to determine if an album has stood the test of time. The Green Day and Nirvana releases were in 1991.

remember, in 1984 the White Album was only 15 years old, yet by 1984 was deemed a time-tested classic.

IHateGovernment
08-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Metallica - Master of Puppets.

klaatu
08-17-2006, 03:42 PM
You asked ... heres my list

The Beatles
Abbey Road (1969)
The Beatles run of 5 star Albums begin with "Help" and end at "Abbey Road", and for this reason it is major chore to pick any single album as their best. "Abbey Road" is their swan song as a united group and a masterpiece it is. It all begins with the kick butt rocker "Come Together", the middle features humor, blues and introspective ballads, i.e. Here Comes the Sun and Because. The album climaxes with a series of incomplete songs that weeve together in perfect medley all the while show casing the four lads unmatched imagination.
Pink Floyd
Wish You Were Here (1975)
Like the Beatles, it is really hard to pick one album as the groups greatest, but if I have to pick one, which I dont but in this case I will.... "Wish You Were Here" is it. Floyd had the daunting task of recording meaningful work after the release of "Dark Side of the Moon" ... and the result was creative and groundbreaking. The title song and theme is pure genius, a post card of sorts to their former friend and band leader Sid Barrett.
The Who
Quadrophenia (1973)
Throughout the Album... John Entwhistle and Kieth Moon are fantastic, the bass playing and drumming is absolutly brilliant! Non stop high energy, a cosmic calling. Roger Daltry's vocals are superb.. and what can you say about Pete Townsend, he is simply one of the greatest composers of Rock & Roll. Quadrophina is not for those stricken with ADD or the hyper active, it is art to be listened to from beginning to end.
Jimi Hendrix
Electric Ladyland (1968)
Jimi most complexed work, Experience may have the more notable songs ... Ladyland is simply a Master Piece from Beginning to end.
Pink Floyd
The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
What can you say! I always wondered how much marijuana has been inhaled while listening to this Album. Certainly the ultimate late night companion to sitting in a circle with a few close friends and discussing life and why we exist. This Album defines the transition of Pink Floyd from a very good band with a small loyal and cultish following to a World Wide Super Group.
The Beatles
Revolver [GBR] (1966)
When choosing a Beatles Album for this list it is hard to decide between Rubber Soul, Revolver, Pepper, Mystery Tour, The White Album or the number one on this list.. Abbey Road, because quite frankly they are all 5 star Albums. Revolver gets the nod in this spot for its ground breaking creativity, it is a complete album with amazing songs filled with harmonic brilliance, deep thoughtful lyrics, fantastic musicianship and it sets the stage ofr the next few years of what would become Beatlelore.
Jimi Hendrix
Are You Experienced [USA] (1967)
The eeryness of his voice, the power of his guitar and the depth of his lyrics are what defines this master piece debut album that went on to blow the lid off of 60's R&R.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
DéjÃ* Vu (1970)
What happens when you bring together 4 young men from very successful bands? You get Deja Vu! Incredible album with some of the greatest Harmony you'll ever hear.
The Beatles
The Beatles [White Album] (1968)
Alright.. I can hear some people bitching, another friggin Beatles Album? Yes ...another Beatles Album .. how can you keep the infamous Bealtes White Album off any greatest Album collection? In my humble opinion this album broke more ground for the Beatles than Sgt Peppers (which by the way will appear later in the list) .. The White Album affords an opportunity for the Beatles to express their individual writing talents while crossing over into several different genres, and it worked splendidly. The White Album is Pepper, Revolver and Rubber Soul all rolled into one package.
The Beatles
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
When an Album literally changes the landscape of music, it surely deserves to be on a greatest list. Sgt Pepper lonely hearts Club Band is often cited as the most influential rock album of all time by prominent critics and publications, and for good reason,; from the ground breaking design of its Album cover to the breathtaking finale of "A Day in the life" the abum is a mixture of grand pop and psychedelic surrealism. The Album also features grand experimentation with new technologies such as virtual 16-track recording and dolby noise reduction system which led to innovative use of instruments and production effects. The overall mood of the Album is unique and its conceptual flow inspred a generation of like minded Art Rock Albums.
The Who
Who's Next (1971)
While Quadrophenia is the Who's ultimate master piece, Who's Next is probably the groups most identifiable work. Classic Rock standards such as "wont get fooled again" , "Baba O'riley" and "Behind Blue Eyes" continue to get regular air play on Classic Roch radio. The album is a compltete work from beginning to end.
Stevie Wonder
Songs in the Key of Life (1976)
Great Artists are defined by the creation of their Master Piece .. for this great Artist.. this is his truly great Master Piece. Love in need of Love today ... what else needs to be said?
Sly and the Family Stone
Stand! (1969)
The Album that put Sly's music in the consciousness of 1960's America, and arrived on the scene smack at the end of the turbulant decade.. While Sly was preaching taking a Stand... his largly vanilla audience danced to his music.
Bob Dylan
Blood on the Tracks (1975)
While some give the nod to Highway 61, I give it to Blood on the Tracks for its blend of story telling and lyrical genius. Dylan effectively blends C&W, Rock and of course the old 60's protest banter.
The Beach Boys
Pet Sounds (1966)
The Album that reflects the inner pain of a melodic genius. Brian Wilson stopped touring with the Beach Boys which alotted him plenty of time to sit around and compose music. After he listened to the Beatles Rubber Soul it inspired him to create an Album of unity, thus Pet Sounds could be regarded as one of the first Albums of its kind, an album that flows together from beginning to end.
Klaatu
Hope (1977)
The cover Art alone keeps me entertained!
*see review*
U2
The Joshua Tree (1987)
This is the Album that put U2 on the train to Rock and Roll royalty, Bono ..meet Paul and John, Mick and Kieth, Pete, David and Roger. If there is a flaw, its how the Album opens with a climax, the first 3 songs are powerful and the rest of the way is hard pressed to equal the challange. The album is filled with a spiritual outwardness and an introspectiveness that spins through powerful global statements.
Elton John
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (1973)
Elton John is simply one of the gretaest entertainers of alltime, that said... it is only logical for his greatest Album to appear on this list; Funeral for Friend, Candle in the Wind, Bennie and the Jets, Harmony and the title Song amongst all else says quite a bit.
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Blood, Sweat & Tears (1969)
While the 1st album broke ground in R&R by effectively mixing brass, jazz and blues..., the was the Album that drove it home "via" plenty of radio play. The most underrated alltime great band ... and this is their grand master.
Derek & the Dominos
Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs (1970)
Another of Eric Claptons Allstar one album shot bands, and what a treat! A great modern english blues album, guest starring the legendary Duane Allman with his infamous slide guitar which lends a tint of that American Southern fried rock that he helped invent. A unique album and a worthy member of an essential collection.
Genesis
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974)
One of the great double Albums of alltime by one of the great Progressive Rock bands of alltime. If a Wall of Sound is your gig..this is the Album to own. It rivals Floyds Dark Side and WYWH as the most important Progressive Albums of the decade ... the Title Song is a true classic.
Bob Dylan
Highway 61 Revisited (1965)
The Album that destroyed the coffee houses. It marks Dylans entry into the world of electric R&R, and what an entrance it was. Any album that kicks off with "Like a Rolling Stone" and ends with "Desolation Row" has got to be worth a listen .. huh?
The Beatles
Rubber Soul [GBR] (1965)
The Album that rocketed The Beatles from the worlds foremost Pop Tune Band to the Worlds foremost inventive Song Writers. With emotionally mature songs as "You've got to hide your Love Away", "Yesterday" and "Ive Just seen a face" featured in the movie Help, there were indications that the Beatles were growing as songwriters and the best was yet to come. Enter Rubber Soul, the Album that sent Brian Wilson back to the drawing board. Rubber Soul features lyrical beauty and introspectiveness in "Nowareman", "Michelle", "In my life" and "Norwegian Wood" as well as a fine set of folksy rockers.
Tears for Fears
The Seeds of Love (1989)
Along with U2, Tears for Fears were the class of the 80's. While some consider this album to be over blown pop, I dig it, maybe its because I love over blown pop. What makes this Album.. imho ..Tears for Fears master piece is the phenominal vocal performance by Roland Orzabal. The album also has much of the same qualities as the U2's MP ..Joshua Tree.
Nirvana
Nevermind (1991)
The greatness of a band is defined on how it has influenced the generation it is performing for, Nirvana and their defining Album is that band, and "Nevermind" is the collection of songs kicking off the 90's.

Cypress
08-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Nice klattu.

Pretty heavily weighted towards the 1960s and 1970s, but those are all albums I instantly recognize and have stood the test of time.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-17-2006, 03:52 PM
1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band- Beatles
2. Hotel California- The Eagles
3. Highway 61 Revisited- Bob Dylan
4. The Band- The Band
5. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road- Elton John
6. Fandango- ZZ Top
7. Eat a Peach- The Allman Brothers
8. Some Girls- Rolling Stones
9. Rumors- Fleetwood Mac
10. Purple Rain- Prince

klaatu
08-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Nice klattu.

Pretty heavily weighted towards the 1960s and 1970s, but those are all albums I instantly recognize and have stood the test of time.

Cant help myself .. I love the era ... I can do 25 more if you wish ... seriously ...

Cypress
08-17-2006, 03:54 PM
1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band- Beatles
2. Hotel California- The Eagles
3. Highway 61 Revisited- Bob Dylan
4. The Band- The Band
5. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road- Elton John
6. Fandango- ZZ Top
7. Eat a Peach- The Allman Brothers
8. Some Girls- Rolling Stones
9. Rumors- Fleetwood Mac
10. Purple Rain- Prince

Not bad Dixie.

To me, I don't consider Elton John or Prince "rock and roll". I consider them pop artists.

To me, rock and roll is guitars and drums. Not pianos and synthsizers.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Not bad Dixie.

To me, I don't consider Elton John or Prince "rock and roll". I consider them pop artists.

To me, rock and roll is guitars and drums. Not pianos and synthsizers.

Some would argue that Bob Dylan and Fleetwood Mac aren't "rock and roll" as well, I think there is a fuzzy line between rock and pop, and it's subject to the taste of whoever you ask. To me, "Pop" is Hanson and Britney Spears, but some of their fans might take exception with my opinion. Elton John is definitely light rock, on the fringe and often crossing into pop, but Yellow Brick Road and his albums before, were some of the best and most creative original music released of that era. Prince pioneered the "Minneapolis Sound" and ushered in a whole new genre of pop-rock artists, which ultimately spawned Hip Hop, and his most accomplished album was Purple Rain.

This just gave me an idea for a new thread, on Most Underrated Artists in Music. Prince could well be on that list, given the influence his style and sound had on music of the late 80's.

klaatu
08-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Some would argue that Bob Dylan and Fleetwood Mac aren't "rock and roll" as well, I think there is a fuzzy line between rock and pop, and it's subject to the taste of whoever you ask. To me, "Pop" is Hanson and Britney Spears, but some of their fans might take exception with my opinion. Elton John is definitely light rock, on the fringe and often crossing into pop, but Yellow Brick Road and his albums before, were some of the best and most creative original music released of that era. Prince pioneered the "Minneapolis Sound" and ushered in a whole new genre of pop-rock artists, which ultimately spawned Hip Hop, and his most accomplished album was Purple Rain.

This just gave me an idea for a new thread, on Most Underrated Artists in Music. Prince could well be on that list, given the influence his style and sound had on music of the late 80's.

Elton John ... yes indeed ...like Madman Across the Water and Tumbleweed Connection .. remember those?

Underrated Artist .. How about Harry Chapin?

Damocles
08-17-2006, 08:33 PM
1) Led Zeppelin - 4: Best effort of the mighty Zep.

2) Nirvana – "Nevermind": Transformative. Grunge that changed the world.

3) AC/DC – "Back in Black": Pay homage to the quintessential hard rock album of all time, from the band Down Under.

4) Eagles – "Greatest Hits": No brainer. Who doesn’t have this one? Every song a classic.

5) Green Day – "Dookie": Transformative Pop-punk pioneers.

6) The Who – "Who’s Next": Don’t have it? Get it….

7) Guns and Roses: "Appetite for Destruction": Single-handedly deep-sixed lame 1980’s new wave posers, and phony metal hairbands.

8) Rolling Stones - "Sticky Fingers". Stones at their rawest and best. Should have retired after this one.

9) The Cure – "Disintegration": My personal all time favorite. Best band of the 1980s, and this is their best effort. Don't have it? Get it...

10) Credence Clearwater Revival – "Chronicle" (Greatest Hits): The standard for pure, deceptively simply American rock and roll. Clean and pure. Every song a classic.
Damn. I agree with pretty much everything in this post.

TRGLDTE
08-31-2006, 09:36 AM
Elton John ... yes indeed ...like Madman Across the Water and Tumbleweed Connection .. remember those?

Underrated Artist .. How about Harry Chapin? HArry chapin = overrated. for underrated, try Triumph. Rush is a great group, but they never seemed to get it all together for a great album.

uscitizen
08-31-2006, 09:41 AM
Dark side of the moon, pink floyd.

Thorn
08-31-2006, 12:59 PM
So many great albums have been mentioned, so I'll just write in my alltime favorite:

Klaatu, you said it first:

Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here

To me, the musical mastery shown in this album outstrips even the popular Dark Side of the Moon; it was sheer genius. I have this album in just about every format it was ever produced.

uscitizen
08-31-2006, 02:35 PM
I have all the pink floyd Albums I think.
At least all the origional ones.