PDA

View Full Version : Family dog died

Beefy
06-28-2007, 05:36 PM
I picked up Gypsy when I was 16, she was my best friends dog's daughter, back in December of '91. She was smart, loyal and kick back.

She up and died of a stroke yesterday.

In a way, I wish she was a cat, because then I wouldn't care that she's dead, because cats are stupid.

LadyT
06-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Awwwww, I'm sorry. I lost my family dog a couple of years ago. I know how bad that sucks.
Are you going to get another one?

Beefy
06-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Well, my brothers and I are going to get another one for my folks. They're crushed.

LadyT
06-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Its tough. People without pets don't understand how upset people get. One of the admins lost her dog when it got hit by a car. She was inconsolable (sp?) and the other admin just couldn't understand. They really do become like part of the family.
I did notice that when my dog died the kitchen floor was a lot dirtier.

evince
06-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Bless your Beefy little soul!

Its been a year since I lost my Hanky man, he was the best damn boy dog ever.

I love and morn him till this very day.

Tell us about gypsy ,I would love to know a little bit about this wonderful hairy soul.

It really does help Beefy.

Hermes Thoth
06-28-2007, 06:11 PM
I sympathize with your loss, but am bemused at your posts' turn toward anti-cat propaganda at the end.

LadyT
06-28-2007, 06:13 PM
The war on cats ensues.

-Die Kitties

Beefy
06-28-2007, 06:18 PM
I sympathize with your loss, but am bemused at your posts' turn toward anti-cat propaganda at the end.

Not propaganda, cold hard fact.

Gypsy would delightfully get the paper for my pop every morning. She never needed to be trained other than where not to make a steamy. She spoke english and german, or at least could do about 30 commands in each language. She would use the pool every day in the summer whether or not anyone else would, and she could hold 3 tennis balls in her mouth and bark at the same time. She never had a problem with the gardeners. She never bit anyone or harmed anything, and she was my pop's best friend.

evince
06-28-2007, 06:20 PM
What kind of hound was she?

Hermes Thoth
06-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Not propaganda, cold hard fact.

Gypsy would delightfully get the paper for my pop every morning. She never needed to be trained other than where not to make a steamy. She spoke english and german, or at least could do about 30 commands in each language. She would use the pool every day in the summer whether or not anyone else would, and she could hold 3 tennis balls in her mouth and bark at the same time. She never had a problem with the gardeners. She never bit anyone or harmed anything, and she was my pop's best friend.

Gypsy sounds great, and that was wonderful prose. But the issue is: why do you hate cats and why did you make that vicious snipe re: their intelligence?

Beefy
06-28-2007, 06:22 PM
What kind of hound was she?

Lab/retriever mix. Smart as a whip.

Beefy
06-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Gypsy sounds great, and that was wonderful prose. But the issue is: why do you hate cats and why did you make that vicious snipe re: their intelligence?

If speaking the empirical, scientific truth is vicious, then string me up, alongside einstein and darwin.

LadyT
06-28-2007, 06:32 PM
She's sounds like a great dog. I really want one. I can't wait to get a house so that I can get one.

evince
06-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Labs and golden retrievers are the love babies of the dog world.

They want to please and be loved.

My hank was a Lab mix and he was an 80lb lap dog.

He only lasted 9 years.

It was a great 9 years though.

At least you guys got 16 wonderful years of Gypsy under your belts.

I spent two days with tears streaming down my face when hank died.

It was the weirdest feeling to just be doing my regular stuff and not sobbing or anything but tears would not stop seeping from my eyes.

I would wake up and open my eyes and tears would just start fallling.

They are the best friends a human can have.

They love you so completely and ask for so little in return, food ,a warm place to sleep and a pat on the head.

Damocles
06-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Cats are just throw pillows with legs that occasionally scratch the furniture.

Beefy
06-28-2007, 07:51 PM

The only difference is that throw pillows have more brains.

Cancel7
06-28-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm sorry Beefy.

Hermes Thoth
06-29-2007, 05:02 AM
If speaking the empirical, scientific truth is vicious, then string me up, alongside einstein and darwin.

maligning cats is vicious. It's got nothing to do with your anecdotal dog death.

Cancel7
06-29-2007, 06:23 AM
maligning cats is vicious. It's got nothing to do with your anecdotal dog death.

A lot of people don't like cats. Tiana has a war going on against them...I think. It might be kids. But that's besides the point. Not liking cats is not a rarity.

Damocles
06-29-2007, 06:39 AM
It's not that I don't like cats, it's that I think of them as more of a decorative furniture than a pet.

Hermes Thoth
06-29-2007, 06:45 AM
A lot of people don't like cats. Tiana has a war going on against them...I think. It might be kids. But that's besides the point. Not liking cats is not a rarity.

I just don't understand the co-mingling of this anecdote-based sypathy post with his anti-cat agenda, unless he's a propagandist of the first order! Bravo, beefy!:clap:

evince
06-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Cats are fine pets but dogs are best friends who live to engage you.

Dogs become parts of your personality in a way.

They reflect your kindness in a wonderful way.

My dog goes everywhere with me that world allows.

If I could Id take her to the grocery store but the world doesnt allow it.

She would behave too, shes an 11 year old Austrailian Shepard and is smarter than some people I know.

LadyT
06-29-2007, 07:39 AM

The only difference is that throw pillows have more brains.

LMAO :cof1:

LadyT
06-29-2007, 07:40 AM

I'm waging a war on both fronts: Kids and Cats. I like the idea of turning cats into throw pillows though. This thread rocks.

Hermes Thoth
06-29-2007, 07:41 AM
Cats are fine pets but dogs are best friends who live to engage you.

Dogs become parts of your personality in a way.

They reflect your kindness in a wonderful way.

My dog goes everywhere with me that world allows.

If I could Id take her to the grocery store but the world doesnt allow it.

She would behave too, shes an 11 year old Austrailian Shepard and is smarter than some people I know.

Cats are just as loyal, and protetive, though they don't take to the leash. They're slightly more independant and their love is more subtle, but very real.

Cancel7
06-29-2007, 07:43 AM
I'm waging a war on both fronts: Kids and Cats. I like the idea of turning cats into throw pillows though. This thread rocks.

Depending on the cat, the pillows could be quite fetching.

Cancel7
06-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Cats are just as loyal, and protetive, though they don't take to the leash. They're slightly more independant and their love is more subtle, but very real.

What the hell is a cat going to protect you from? Have you ever heard of a story about a couple of burglars who said "ohhh, we better go to the next house, this one has a cat"?

You're weird.

LadyT
06-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Depending on the cat, the pillows could be quite fetching.

Agreed. Although, I'd imagine people would be allergic to them. Which is why I'm waging a war on cats to begin with. Maybe we make them into doggie pillows and throw toys.

LadyT
06-29-2007, 07:49 AM
What the hell is a cat going to protect you from? Have you ever heard of a story about a couple of burglars who said "ohhh, we better go to the next house, this one has a cat"?

You're weird.

LMAO..........I have the most hilarious visual ever.

Hermes Thoth
06-29-2007, 07:49 AM

You're weird.

Cats aren't as EFFECTIVE as protection, but they will try. Our cat attacked my dad once because he was tickling us kids and we were screaming. The cat thought dad was doing something bad, and launched it's two tiny fangs into his ankle. Pretty funny actually. A cat can do some serious scratching.
We're talking about animals as companions, not utilitarian henchmen, and though they're low calibre as a weapon, their hearts are in the right place.

evince
06-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Ive had both cats and dogs and I love both.

I just love the fact that dogs are great travel buddies.

My dog understands quite a bit of human words.

I can speak to her in full sentences and I was even able to explain the death of my other dog to her.

Try that with a cat?

Hermes Thoth
06-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Ive had both cats and dogs and I love both.

I just love the fact that dogs are great travel buddies.

My dog understands quite a bit of human words.

I can speak to her in full sentences and I was even able to explain the death of my other dog to her.

Try that with a cat?

That dog didn't understand shit about what you were saying. Sorry to break it to ya....

I saw a Penhouse Letter that ended with "Try that with a cat?" once.

LadyT
06-29-2007, 07:57 AM
Cats aren't as EFFECTIVE as protection, but they will try. Our cat attacked my dad once because he was tickling us kids and we were screaming. The cat thought dad was doing something bad, and launched it's two tiny fangs into his ankle. Pretty funny actually. A cat can do some serious scratching.We're talking about animals as companions, not utilitarian henchmen, and though they're low calibre as a weapon, their hearts are in the right place.

oooooohhhhhhh scratches.........

Sorry, but unless you have a tiger, lion or other big cat, they are completely non functional as pets.

For this they must all die.

evince
06-29-2007, 08:00 AM
EEEWWWWEEE nasty!

Yes she did!

When he died she would come up to me after wards doing her rarww rarww talking like when she wants me to tell her what is going on.

I would look at her and say Hanky went night night , hanky no wake up, Hanky all gone!

she would sigh a deep sigh and go to a corner and lay down.

I would of course be in tears which helped her understand.

She KNEW dude!

Cancel 2016.2
06-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Beefy... sorry about your dog man, that always sucks. I had a half corgy half shetland sheep dog for 17 years growing up. Crushed me when I got a call at college saying she died. My family always had at least two dogs growing up. Always about 4-5 years apart. I think the younger dogs keep the older ones active and that is why so many of ours lived so long. Definitely a good idea to get a new dog for the rents.... I think they keep us younger and more active as well.

As for cats.... kill em... stuff em... freak the PETA people out by swinging the stuffed cats around by the tail... perhaps add some sound effects to the cat to make them think it is alive. :burn:

Hermes Thoth
06-29-2007, 08:18 AM
oooooohhhhhhh scratches.........

Sorry, but unless you have a tiger, lion or other big cat, they are completely non functional as pets.

For this they must all die.

If all your relationships are strictly utilitarian, and the only value of a pet is as a source of violent aggression, then go ahead, be anti-cat. You're the one missing out.

Cancel 2016.2
06-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Asscat... cats suck... they are the worst pet you could possibly have. Tiana is correct... the only good cat is a dead cat....

The war on cats must continue...

Hermes Thoth
06-29-2007, 08:26 AM
Asscat... cats suck... they are the worst pet you could possibly have. Tiana is correct... the only good cat is a dead cat....

No. They are quite wonderful and loyal, and clean, like obama, and don't shit all over.

Cypress
06-29-2007, 08:38 AM
This is a bummer Beefy. It's tragic.

I've rarely cried as hard as I did, when my beloved spaniel died three years ago.

Cypress
06-29-2007, 08:39 AM

I like both dogs and cats. I don't get the cat hatred. Did you have a bad experience with one as a child? ;)

Cancel 2016.2
06-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Cy... nope... just find them extemely annoying and good for nothing (as pets)

Perhaps letting them live in barns and chase mice would serve a good purpose, but otherwise... death to cats! :D

Cancel 2016.2
06-29-2007, 08:44 AM
"I like both dogs and cats."

Somehow I just KNEW you went both ways.

evince
06-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Cats and Dogs living together oh my God!

I have always wanted to get a kitten and a puppy at the same time.

Hermes Thoth
06-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Cats and Dogs living together oh my God!

I have always wanted to get a kitten and a puppy at the same time.

Maybe you could get them to "do it", thereby creating the first "cog", or "dat".

Cypress
06-29-2007, 08:51 AM
"I like both dogs and cats."

Somehow I just KNEW you went both ways.

I've never gone out of my way to own cats. Never gone to the pound to get one, never went to a pet store to get one, etc.

Every cat I've ever had, was one that I found as a starving, stray little kitten. I guess I'm just a softie that way... ;)

uscitizen
06-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Sorry about you loss Beefy. Like losing a family member.

My 2 dogs dies over tha last few years. I now have 3 cats that I took in as poor starving kittens, apparently their momma died.
Cats are not a cool as dogs, but much easier to leave alone all day.

evince
06-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Maybe you could get them to "do it", thereby creating the first "cog", or "dat".

Dude you are obsessed with beastiality.

I fear for your cats!

uscitizen
06-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Dude you are obsessed with beastiality.

I fear for your cats!

He just gets hung up on the firt word in pussy cat :)
No other points of reference I guess....

Thorn
06-29-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm really sorry, Beefy. I know all too well just how that feels.

I'd suggest one thing -- let your folks have just a little time to grieve for their loss before you get a new dog for them. I'ts a bit different when it's been expected like this, but still they'll feel they want to honor her for a while first. Then they won't be as likely (even subconsciously) to be trying to see their former companion in the new one. A dog really is a member of the family.

evince
06-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Im of the belief people should pick their own dog.

Care4all
06-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Mbl, I am soo sorry! Get your dad a new dog soon!

Is this the beauty, Gypsy?

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/41bf5731z398c056b/mbl727/__sr_/4178.jpg?pfFPUhGBe7rrBRhF

ps. you are WRONG about cats, mine's smart as a whip!

TRGLDTE
06-29-2007, 11:39 AM
apparently their momma died. I think T killed it.

Care4all
06-29-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm really sorry, Beefy. I know all too well just how that feels.

I'd suggest one thing -- let your folks have just a little time to grieve for their loss before you get a new dog for them. I'ts a bit different when it's been expected like this, but still they'll feel they want to honor her for a while first. Then they won't be as likely (even subconsciously) to be trying to see their former companion in the new one. A dog really is a member of the family.

ok, maybe I was wrong and they need to wait on the new dog?

Thorn
06-29-2007, 11:48 AM
ok, maybe I was wrong and they need to wait on the new dog?

Not for a long time; I think it depends on the people. Sometimes people feel that it's disrespectful to the dog who died (it isn't; quite the opposite!) but they need to know that the new dog is himself/herself, s/he isn't a replacement. We occasionally call our dogs now by their predecessors' names, usually if one does something that reminds us of the one who is gone. But definitely if you're a "dog person" you can't be without at least one in your life for very long.

uscitizen
06-29-2007, 11:48 AM
I think T killed it.

she claims he was not in the nieghborhood, but it migh have been another WOC member. Plenty of those around.
Btw my cats all come when called, know their names, and know a few commands, like down, out, etc... and follow me around like puppies. But dogs are still cooler.

LadyT
06-29-2007, 11:58 AM
I've never gone out of my way to own cats. Never gone to the pound to get one, never went to a pet store to get one, etc.

Every cat I've ever had, was one that I found as a starving, stray little kitten. I guess I'm just a softie that way... ;)

Why are you such a commie? How are cats going to learn to pull themselves up from their bootstraps if you keep giving them handouts?

LadyT
06-29-2007, 11:59 AM
she claims he was not in the nieghborhood, but it migh have been another WOC member. Plenty of those around.
Btw my cats all come when called, know their names, and know a few commands, like down, out, etc... and follow me around like puppies. But dogs are still cooler.

No. It was me!!! :burn:

uscitizen
06-29-2007, 12:03 PM
No. It was me!!! :burn:

OH NO! You combined with my soft heartness caused me to get stuck with cats!

You will pay for this!

LadyT
06-29-2007, 12:07 PM
OH NO! You combined with my soft heartness caused me to get stuck with cats!

You will pay for this!

#1) I should have gotten the kittens too. My bad

#2) You can't have a soft spot for cats in the war on cats. If you're going to carry on like this I may have to demote you general.

uscitizen
06-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Demote me then Generalissima :)
Sorry I made a commitment to the fuzzy little thing and will honor it.
Heck I have $500 or so in one of them. Got mangled somewhat by a dog or coyote it looked like. He is almost healed up now.

yeah I know I am a softee.