PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Rock Song of all Time

OrnotBitwise
08-16-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm not talking about hits from hell here. No Muskrat Love or anything like that. I mean drek that otherwise intelligent people seem to think has merit. Way too much merit.

Nominations are now open. I'm going to throw out two that bug the shit out of me, partly because they're always on the damned radio somewhere.

1) Roxanne, The Police. Give me a break, someone, please. Preferrably right in the middle of the CD. Brings all new meaning to the word "whiney."

2) Hey You, Pink Floyd. I was originally going to say "anything off The Wall" but then I remembered that some parts of it are tolerable. This thing, though, is a bloated, over-produced, pretentious sow of a tune. The cyst on the anus at the tail end of an otherwise brilliant body of work. Don't get me wrong: I love Pink Floyd. I'd say the earlier the better, except that I won't. Wish you Were Here, for example.

Beefy
08-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Benny and the Jets - Elton John - It appears to me that this song was engineered to annoy, but I seem to be alone on it. Stupid lyrics, deplorable rhythm, no continuity, craphouse beat. I've always known that this song's popularity is a testament to how record companied dictate what the sheeple will listen to.

Take the Money and Run - Steve Miller - Never has a bunch of talentless hacks gove farther on less ability than this band, and this song is proof that people will listen to ANYTHING, if it ends up on a major label.

These are only the first two, but I think I'll be a major contributor to this thread.

OrnotBitwise
08-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Benny and the Jets - Elton John - It appears to me that this song was engineered to annoy, but I seem to be alone on it. Stupid lyrics, deplorable rhythm, no continuity, craphouse beat. I've always known that this song's popularity is a testament to how record companied dictate what the sheeple will listen to.

Take the Money and Run - Steve Miller - Never has a bunch of talentless hacks gove farther on less ability than this band, and this song is proof that people will listen to ANYTHING, if it ends up on a major label.

These are only the first two, but I think I'll be a major contributor to this thread.
I agree with both of those. Either will cause me to reach for the Scan button in the car. :rant:

Damocles
08-16-2006, 04:15 PM
Wheel In the Sky - Journey

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Are you kidding Beefy, Benny and the Jets was a masterpiece, released at the peak of Elton John and Bernie Taupin's success. The brilliantly crafted yet familiar piano melody, to the catchy and quirky lyrical content...

...The spotlight's hitting something
That's been known to change the weather

...She's got electric boots a mohair suit
You know I read it in a magazine

...We shall survive, let us take ourselves along
Where we fight our parents out in the streets
To find who's right and who's wrong.

Sorry, but I think it is one of Elton's greatest hits.

My vote goes to, Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana.

Beefy
08-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Wheel In the Sky - Journey

Good one. Another Journey Masterpiece of shit - Seperate Ways (Worlds Apart) - You know, that horrifying abortion of music with the "Someday, love will find you" refrain.

Beefy
08-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Are you kidding Beefy, Benny and the Jets was a masterpiece, released at the peak of Elton John and Bernie Taupin's success. The brilliantly crafted yet familiar piano melody, to the catchy and quirky lyrical content...

Say it ain't so Dix. It is everything that has ever gone wrong with music clumped into one festering blister.

Immanuel
08-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Most over-rated rock song?

Anything modern would fit that bill. ;)

Immie

Cancel7
08-16-2006, 07:15 PM

...The spotlight's hitting something
That's been known to change the weather

...She's got electric boots a mohair suit
You know I read it in a magazine

...We shall survive, let us take ourselves along
Where we fight our parents out in the streets
To find who's right and who's wrong.

My vote goes to, Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana.

How could anyone put anything by Nirvana on a list like this? You just dont understand the song, you were probably already old and cranky when it came out.

I feel stupid, and contagious, here we are now, entertain us...

An athem to alienation. Nirvana is great. Heart shaped box...how can anyone hate Nirvana?

Cancel7
08-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Say it ain't so Dix. It is everything that has ever gone wrong with music clumped into one festering blister.

Yeah, that's true, and I like Elton John. I've seen him with Billy Joel twice, and I will tell you, you will at many points not even remember that Joel is on the stage. This guy is really a charasmatic performer. But Benny and the Jets, ech.

TheDanold
08-16-2006, 09:03 PM
How could anyone put anything by Nirvana on a list like this? You just dont understand the song, you were probably already old and cranky when it came out.

An athem to alienation. Nirvana is great. Heart shaped box...how can anyone hate Nirvana?
Shit this is getting scary, Darlalaling likes Nirvana. That was like the biggest band for me in my teens. Cobain never really wrote any bad songs, albums were solid from first to last songs. After awhile and to this day I started liking a lot of the songs that weren't big hits.
"Big Long Now" I could listen to over and over, he had a way of naming his songs perfectly to match the tune.

Aren't you like 50 something Darla?

TheDanold
08-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Ok so worst rock song, I give to KISS for
"I wanna Rock and Roll All Night".
I know it's a hit but I've always found it mobishly boring, even though Gene Simmons is cool.

Beefy
08-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Yeah, that's true, and I like Elton John. I've seen him with Billy Joel twice, and I will tell you, you will at many points not even remember that Joel is on the stage. This guy is really a charasmatic performer. But Benny and the Jets, ech.

Yeah, I like John also, but Benny is a shitty assed, cookie cutter, piece of booger no matter who did it.

Beefy
08-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Ok so worst rock song, I give to KISS for
"I wanna Rock and Roll All Night".
I know it's a hit but I've always found it mobishly boring, even though Gene Simmons is cool.

Yeah, that's a pretty bad song.

The Doors have had a couple of stinkers also - Crystal Ship. I'm convinced that anyone who claims to like that song is lying and trying to be deep by overanalyzing Morrison's juvenile poetry.

klaatu
08-16-2006, 09:51 PM
I read through this thread and all I can say is what a bunch of neurotics! You dont like a song .... You dont sit there and whine for 3 minutes, you turn it off! And Beefy ... Steve Miller doesnt have ability? What the fuck is wrong with you ... try listening to Brave New World ... and then talk shit about Miller ..he is a highly regarded musician. Miller and Boz Scaggs are legends.
Bennie and the Jets is a pop tune written by a pop artist .. while it is not his best ..it comes off of one of the truly great Albums of alltime ..ka Goodbye Yellow Brick Road ...

But then again .. Im communicating with people who committed R&R sacrilege by knocking the Rolling Stones ....

Beefy
08-16-2006, 11:48 PM
I read through this thread and all I can say is what a bunch of neurotics! You dont like a song .... You dont sit there and whine for 3 minutes, you turn it off! And Beefy ... Steve Miller doesnt have ability? What the fuck is wrong with you ... try listening to Brave New World ... and then talk shit about Miller ..he is a highly regarded musician. Miller and Boz Scaggs are legends.
Bennie and the Jets is a pop tune written by a pop artist .. while it is not his best ..it comes off of one of the truly great Albums of alltime ..ka Goodbye Yellow Brick Road ...

But then again .. Im communicating with people who committed R&R sacrilege by knocking the Rolling Stones ....

Steve Miller Band is one of the most overrated bands of all time. It's like you took a 14 year old kid who just got his first guitar, and is playing the most elementary, basic crap that anyone could play, and making an album out of it.

Believe it or not, I jammed with him in 1992 when I was 16 at my high school - Crespi Carmelite. His bandmate was married to the play director at Louisville High, our sister school (Crespi was all male, Louisville was all female), and he came to play at my school the same day that David Crosby gave an anti drug talk.

I was the captain of the musicians club and was asked improptu to play "In the Mood" with Steve Miller. He held his own, but he was no master of guitar. In fact after the jam, I told my buddy Pete "That is really Steve Miller?!"

His shit was all 1-4-5 and elementary pentatonic stuff. I listened to his music many times thereafter, and have never been impressed. He is a mediocre player at his very very best, and a hack at his worst. But the gut is flat overrated.

Cancel7
08-17-2006, 05:20 AM
Shit this is getting scary, Darlalaling likes Nirvana. That was like the biggest band for me in my teens. Cobain never really wrote any bad songs, albums were solid from first to last songs. After awhile and to this day I started liking a lot of the songs that weren't big hits.
"Big Long Now" I could listen to over and over, he had a way of naming his songs perfectly to match the tune.

Aren't you like 50 something Darla?

Yes! And fat, and I have a mole and black hair on my chin. My likes are Nirvana, Ho-hos, Ben-gay rubs, and my designer, Omar the tentmaker. My dislikes are, physical activity of any kind but especially hiking, men who want oral sex, and any shoe with a heel over one quarter of an inch.

Why do you ask Dano? (as if I didn't know)

Did you want to ask me to dinner? <coy look>

Care4all
08-17-2006, 05:23 AM
Yes! And fat, and I have a mole and black hair on my chin. My likes are Nirvana, Ho-hos, Ben-gay rubs, and my designer, Omar the tentmaker. My dislikes are, physical activity of any kind but especially hiking, men who want oral sex, and any shoe with a heel over one quarter of an inch.

see? i told you, that you would be getting along just ''fine'' with all the dudes on this site! hahaha!

good morning!

care

Cancel7
08-17-2006, 05:53 AM
see? i told you, that you would be getting along just ''fine'' with all the dudes on this site! hahaha!

good morning!

care

LOL

Good morning Care.

I just hope Dano, who is obviously smitten, is going to take me to one of them fancy all you can eat places, because those are my fav. ;)

Have a good one.

klaatu
08-17-2006, 05:56 AM
Steve Miller Band is one of the most overrated bands of all time. It's like you took a 14 year old kid who just got his first guitar, and is playing the most elementary, basic crap that anyone could play, and making an album out of it.

Believe it or not, I jammed with him in 1992 when I was 16 at my high school - Crespi Carmelite. His bandmate was married to the play director at Louisville High, our sister school (Crespi was all male, Louisville was all female), and he came to play at my school the same day that David Crosby gave an anti drug talk.

I was the captain of the musicians club and was asked improptu to play "In the Mood" with Steve Miller. He held his own, but he was no master of guitar. In fact after the jam, I told my buddy Pete "That is really Steve Miller?!"

His shit was all 1-4-5 and elementary pentatonic stuff. I listened to his music many times thereafter, and have never been impressed. He is a mediocre player at his very very best, and a hack at his worst. But the gut is flat overrated.

Did you ever think that Miller was just amusing the 16 year old and not trying to intimidate? Again .. pick up Children of the Future or Brave New World .. these albums were released before (i believe 1968&69) he jumped to the commercial stuff and are much more complexed and bluesy. The guy is a prodigy of Les Paul fo cris sakes.
As far as the commercial stuff .. I do like Jet Airliner ....

klaatu
08-17-2006, 06:48 AM
Beef .. One more thing about Miller ... I dont believe Miller would or should make any best guitar player lists ... clearly he is not up there with Hendrix, Clapton or Page ... I believe he is more notable for his song writing than he is as a guitar virtuoso.

uscitizen
08-17-2006, 07:01 AM
Most Overrated Rock Song of all Time
//

Anything by the Beatles .

OrnotBitwise
08-17-2006, 09:29 AM
//

Uh oh. Them's fightin' words, bucko. :mad:

OrnotBitwise
08-17-2006, 09:31 AM
I think that's part of the point. He has so many really good numbers, why should that particular one keep popping up? I've got a pretty hefty Elton John section in my iPod but B&J ain't in it. Nor will it be any time in the near future.

Cypress
08-17-2006, 09:31 AM
"Stairway to Heaven".

Zepplin. The movie "Waynes World" accurately depicted what happens to you, if you try to walk into a guitar store, and try playing that song on a guitar.

OrnotBitwise
08-17-2006, 09:33 AM
"Stairway to Heaven".

Zepplin. The movie "Waynes World" accurately depicted what happens to you, if you try to walk into a guitar store, and try playing that song on a guitar.
LOL! That one's not bad, though, it's just overplayed.

Stairway to Gilligan's Island remains one of the funniest parodies I've ever heard, too. I damn near crashed my car the first time I heard it.

uscitizen
08-17-2006, 10:00 AM
How about Cheney's got a gun ?

uscitizen
08-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Uh oh. Them's fightin' words, bucko. :mad:

Oh well, never cared for the beatles.
And I do not cry when one of them dies either.

Damocles
08-17-2006, 10:09 AM
I agree. Stairway to Heaven is overplayed, but not overrated. It was a good song, people just get tired of it after a while. Overrated are things like "I wanna be a Cowboy" back in the eighties.... Number one? Please!

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Sultans of Swing!

...can I get an Amen?

Beefy
08-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Did you ever think that Miller was just amusing the 16 year old and not trying to intimidate? Again .. pick up Children of the Future or Brave New World .. these albums were released before (i believe 1968&69) he jumped to the commercial stuff and are much more complexed and bluesy. The guy is a prodigy of Les Paul fo cris sakes.
As far as the commercial stuff .. I do like Jet Airliner ....

I don' think he was just amusing me because he played a 4 or 5 song set before we did "In The Mood".

And Jet Airliner? Sheesh, you've got to be kidding me! That's a very close runner up to "Take the money and run". That's what I'm talking about, totally juvenile cookie cutter music. I could have written that song three weeks after I first pickud up a guitar. How can you like that song and Stevie Ray Vaughan at the same time?

Sultans of Swing!

...can I get an Amen?

Amen. I wish Dire Straights had a "daytime job and was doin allright", so they never would have released that piece of smegma.

HOmarTheTentmaker
08-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Yes! And fat, and I have a mole and black hair on my chin. My likes are Nirvana, Ho-hos, Ben-gay rubs, and my designer, Omar the tentmaker.
You don't eeven remember my name right, do I mean so leetle to you? By Allah, this is all a man can take, we are no longer together, you'll have to get your HO-HO's from the north pole for all I care, you eenternet floozy!

And I don't care how big a tent you promised me to pay for for your Democrat partee, it would seeem eet is no very a big tent if there is no room for HOmar.

My dislikes are, physical activity of any kind but especially hiking, men who want oral sex, and any shoe with a heel over one quarter of an inch.

One last warning. If you are to take up with this "Dano", then if the legends are true about him, you may not have much 'room' to voice your disliking...

DigitalDave
08-17-2006, 11:03 AM
LOL, this thread is turning into a classic already! Darla, I gotta love that smart ass comment you made to Dano, freakin hilarious!

Now, my vote goes to 'Nookie' by Limp Bizkit...

uscitizen
08-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Muskrat love ?

uscitizen
08-17-2006, 11:21 AM
http://www.toonedin.com/cheney.html

klaatu
08-17-2006, 11:46 AM
I don' think he was just amusing me because he played a 4 or 5 song set before we did "In The Mood".

And Jet Airliner? Sheesh, you've got to be kidding me! That's a very close runner up to "Take the money and run". That's what I'm talking about, totally juvenile cookie cutter music. I could have written that song three weeks after I first pickud up a guitar. How can you like that song and Stevie Ray Vaughan at the same time?

Sultans of Swing!

...can I get an Amen?

Amen. I wish Dire Straights had a "daytime job and was doin allright", so they never would have released that piece of smegma.

Oh please .. then why didnt you and why arent we now discussing one of your shitty songs?

klaatu
08-17-2006, 11:48 AM
by the way USC .. you didnt get my goat did you? :cool:

uscitizen
08-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Nope I think we are even on the goats :)

IHateGovernment
08-17-2006, 03:46 PM
//

Quoted for truth.

The Beatles are the most overrated band in history. As musicians I would say they are merely mediocre. Lennon and McCartney might be good song writers but the music just doesn't do it for me.

Cypress
08-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Quoted for truth.

The Beatles are the most overrated band in history. As musicians I would say they are merely mediocre. Lennon and McCartney might be good song writers but the music just doesn't do it for me.

Honestly, I think you're right.

As time goes on, I think some of the appeal of the beatles is fading. Certainly, they remain a sentimental favorite of the older generation.

But younger rock fans, and especially younger rock musicians, aren't really paying them homage anymore. While some of today's rock bands will cover The Who, the Stones, Zepplin, and AC/DC, they're pretty much ignoring the beatles.

klaatu
08-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Honestly, I think you're right.

As time goes on, I think some of the appeal of the beatles is fading. Certainly, they remain a sentimental favorite of the older generation.

But younger rock fans, and especially younger rock musicians, aren't really paying them homage anymore. While some of today's rock bands will cover The Who, the Stones, Zepplin, and AC/DC, they're pretty much ignoring the beatles.

Sales dont show it... The Beatles still out sell the bands you mention ... and I happen to like the bands you mentioned.

The Beatles appeal goes beyond R&R ... and if it as you say ..their appeal is fading .. a 40 year popularity stint off an 8 year recording career as a group will be hard to top.
And the Beatles were not about long flashy solo's and who has the biggest dick ..their songs were built around rhythm and atmosphere .

Cancel7
08-17-2006, 04:34 PM
You don't eeven remember my name right, do I mean so leetle to you? By Allah, this is all a man can take, we are no longer together, you'll have to get your HO-HO's from the north pole for all I care, you eenternet floozy!

And I don't care how big a tent you promised me to pay for for your Democrat partee, it would seeem eet is no very a big tent if there is no room for HOmar.

One last warning. If you are to take up with this "Dano", then if the legends are true about him, you may not have much 'room' to voice your disliking...

But I'd want to voice it...I figured as much!

Cancel7
08-17-2006, 04:35 PM
Quoted for truth.

Thats something we can agree on.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-17-2006, 08:04 PM

They were trying to copy a band named the "Pixie's" (whom you've probably never heard of because they weren't on a major labe, but they were better than their copiersl) whenever they wrote "Smells like teen spirit". Nirvana has some OK songs, but Smells like teen spirit is obviously at near the bottom of the list of their songs whenever it comes to quality. The lyrics aren't deep, you idiots. They're just meaningless contradictions written in a stream-of-thought mode. I could write much better lyrics.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-17-2006, 08:07 PM
//

I'll forgive you for posting drunk.

Beefy
08-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Oh please .. then why didnt you and why arent we now discussing one of your shitty songs?

You really think Jet Airliner and Take the money and Run are good songs?

Man, these songs were just a bunch of assembly line mass produced music. How can you really enjoy these songs?

zoombwaz
08-17-2006, 10:44 PM

Oh,man. Good call.

Miller's song is a minor annoyance, but I DETEST B-b-b-benny and the Jets! And why is the crowd clapping along with that dreck? That song makes my teeth itch.

zoombwaz
08-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Good one. Another Journey Masterpiece of shit - Seperate Ways (Worlds Apart) - You know, that horrifying abortion of music with the "Someday, love will find you" refrain.

Practically anything by Journey

Beefy
08-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Oh,man. Good call.

Miller's song is a minor annoyance, but I DETEST B-b-b-benny and the Jets! And why is the crowd clapping along with that dreck? That song makes my teeth itch.

Baffling isn't it? Benny and the Jets. The only reason this song made it past the cutting room floor is because Sir Elton performed it. It is truly a piece of junk.

klaatu
08-18-2006, 05:33 AM
You really think Jet Airliner and Take the money and Run are good songs?

Man, these songs were just a bunch of assembly line mass produced music. How can you really enjoy these songs?

Are they good songs? They are not classics .. I wouldnt put them on my alltime greatest song list. My argument for Miller isnt the period when these songs were released ... Im tellin you to listen to Miller from the late 60's and early 70's ... different style ...good substance ...

man.. ..even the great Dylan has clunkers ...

You need to remember .. most songs crafted for Radio Airplay are just that ... "manufactured" for Radio ... essentially ..they are jingles for their Albums and Concert Tours ...

As far as Bennie and the Jets ... who knows whereElton was going with that song ... the album it came off was so good that it doesnt really matter. For that matter ..how about Philadelphia Freedom? *cough* *choke*

TRGLDTE
08-31-2006, 09:52 AM
Take it to the Limit - Eagles
Bad to the Bone - George Thorogood
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen