PDA

View Full Version : English According to Arnold!

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-16-2006, 11:43 AM
In recent debates over the word "Islamofascism" we have been enlightened by our British counterpart, Anyold (aka:Arnold) as to what is proper word etymology regarding the English language. Some interesting developments have emerged as a result, and you needed to be informed of the following changes, without further notice. The following words will no longer valid, as proclaimed by Arnold....

airship

ship
n.

1. A vessel of considerable size for deep-water navigation.
A sailing vessel having three or more square-rigged masts.

How can we call it an airship when it doesn't navigate in the water or have three or more square-rigged masts? According to Arnold, we can't! The word "airship" simply doesn't fit the definition of a traditional "ship" and can't be valid.

clotheshorse

horse
n.

1. a. A large hoofed mammal (Equus caballus) having a short-haired coat, a long mane, and a long tail, domesticated since ancient times and used for riding and for drawing or carrying loads.
b. An adult male horse; a stallion.
c. Any of various equine mammals, such as the wild Asian species E. przewalskii or certain extinct forms related ancestrally to the modern horse.

Why can we include a word that doesn't apply here? According to Arnold, we can't! A clothes holding apparatus is not a horse, it is not even alive. We should never use this preposterous word, because, according to Arnold, it's invalid.

scarecrow

crow
n.

1. Any of several large glossy black birds of the genus Corvus, having a characteristic raucous call, especially C. brachyrhynchos of North America.
2. A crowbar.

How can people logically call a straw and stick configuration resembling a man, a "crow" of any kind? According to Arnold, this is just not worthy of further consideration regarding context, the word simply has no validity because "crows" have nothing to do with a straw man.

================================================== ======

This lesson has been brought to you as a Public Service,
from Americans Against Bad English With Ugly Teeth.
Thank you!:cof1:

uscitizen
08-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Now that was a pinhead post LOL

Damocles
08-16-2006, 12:02 PM
I think it actually rocked... The whole idea that the new word must encompass every single point of the first definition in the OED... (ignoring all the other definitions in that same dictionary BTW)... or otherwise it has no valid Etymology has been the whole of his argument from the first.

Dixie is in good form lately... Maybe it's the new colors of the site...

uscitizen
08-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Your priveledge Damo, I don;t have time or the inclination to pick nits though.

Enjoy the cerebral stuff and I will be content to stay in the shallower end of the debate pool :)
It still seems that Dixies post pretty much met his own definition of pinhead that he posted on the old board.

Damocles
08-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Your priveledge Damo, I don;t have time or the inclination to pick nits though.

Enjoy the cerebral stuff and I will be content to stay in the shallower end of the debate pool :)
It still seems that Dixies post pretty much met his own definition of pinhead that he posted on the old board.
lol. Does anybody have a copy of that definition?

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-17-2006, 07:44 AM
BUMP.... Just to piss Arnold off!