PDA

View Full Version : Iraq disintegrating?

maineman
07-24-2006, 10:43 AM
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L21908240.htm

I can so fondly recall all the neocons telling us all how wonderfully things were going in Iraq, how they WEREN'T in the midst of a civil war, and how democracy was working like a clock and shining outward from Baghdad like a beacon of freedom illuminating all the dark places in the middle east.

When will they ever admit that Murtha was right, that liberal democrats who protested against this war from day one were right and they were, and remain, terribly wrong?

Cypress
07-24-2006, 10:46 AM
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L21908240.htm

I can so fondly recall all the neocons telling us all how wonderfully things were going in Iraq, how they WEREN'T in the midst of a civil war, and how democracy was working like a clock and shining outward from Baghdad like a beacon of freedom illuminating all the dark places in the middle east.

When will they ever admit that Murtha was right, that liberal democrats who protested against this war from day one were right and they were, and remain, terribly wrong?

Never.

Damocles
07-24-2006, 10:48 AM
What they'll likely end up doing is implementing a "new plan" that basically rewords Murtha's plan. It's a time honored tradition of politics. Many people do it, including former presidents taking credit for welfare reform and other points of the other's platform...

maineman
07-24-2006, 10:50 AM
refresh my memory damo...did welfare reform during the Clinton years pass with a veto proof majority?

maineman
07-24-2006, 10:52 AM
and we are not talking about domestic policy gamesmanship here...we are talking about the errors made in taking our nation to war, flushing hundreds of billions of dollars down the shitter along with thousands of American lives and tens of thousands of Iraqi lives... the order of magnitude is not comparable

Damocles
07-24-2006, 10:53 AM
refresh my memory damo...did welfare reform during the Clinton years pass with a veto proof majority?

No, but it was passed and vetoed twice before it was passed without changes then claimed by a certain President... I'm telling you it is a time-honored tradition.

Damocles
07-24-2006, 10:53 AM
and we are not talking about domestic policy gamesmanship here...we are talking about the errors made in taking our nation to war, flushing hundreds of billions of dollars down the shitter along with thousands of American lives and tens of thousands of Iraqi lives... the order of magnitude is not comparable

I'm not saying that it is. I am predicting what I believe to be likely.

Jarod
07-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Stay the corse...

There were WMD, media is just covering it up.

We are winning the harts and minds.

Saddam was in bed with Ossama.

Fight them over there instead of at home.

robdastud
07-24-2006, 11:12 AM
iraq is a mess

Damocles
07-24-2006, 11:13 AM
iraq is a mess

Occupation is a mistake in almost every case. Remeber his promise not to "nation-build"? *sigh*

TheDanold
07-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Well Clinton vetoed the first 2 Republican welfare reform bills and then tried to take credit for passing it. He only signed the 3rd one because he knew Republicans would keep sending him tougher and tougher reform bills, because they knew public opinion is overwhelmingly against social welfare handouts.

Care4all
07-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Well Clinton vetoed the first 2 Republican welfare reform bills and then tried to take credit for passing it. He only signed the 3rd one because he knew Republicans would keep sending him tougher and tougher reform bills, because they knew public opinion is overwhelmingly against social welfare handouts.

Really?

Are you sure that is not just conservative hype that you believed?

It was my understanding that changes were made and compromise is what made him not veto it?

KingRaw!
12-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Can't we all get along?

Damocles
12-31-2007, 12:02 AM
Really?

Are you sure that is not just conservative hype that you believed?

It was my understanding that changes were made and compromise is what made him not veto it?
Point out the compromise.

Are you sure you didn't just fall for Clinton propaganda?

WRL
12-31-2007, 12:32 AM
lol, what a thread to bring up now. Is it Harry Reid, Mainman, Or Osama Bin Laden?

Cypress
12-31-2007, 08:14 AM
lol, what a thread to bring up now. Is it Harry Reid, Mainman, Or Osama Bin Laden?

Maineman: I can so fondly recall all the neocons telling us all how wonderfully things were going in Iraq,

MM is right. You spent 2004, 2005, and 2006 lying your ass off that things in iraq were going relatively well. It wasn't until 2007, when rightwing talk radio ordered you to admit bush had been fucking up

how they WEREN'T in the midst of a civil war,

MM is right. You lied that there was no civil war. Even with a reduction in violence, Iraq remains the most dangerous place on earth, with casualities similar to 2005 levels, and racked by secterian violence and divisions.

[
and how democracy was working like a clock and shining outward from Baghdad like a beacon of freedom illuminating all the dark places in the middle east.

MM remains correct. Iraq is a failed state, with a weak and ineffective central government that has little influence outside the green zone, and a nation essentially run by shia militias and sunni warlords.