PDA

View Full Version : Are background checks becoming too brutal?

klaatu
08-16-2006, 09:45 AM
More and more Companies are starting to use a 3rd party as a source for doing background checks for potential Employees. To impress their client these companies use a fine tooth comb when digging into the backgrounds ... including Criminal, Drug testing, credit checks, IRS info as a means to prove employment history. Signed Notarized statements for gaps in employment history ..

Is this going overboard? Is this a search for an Army of perfect human beings?
What kills me.. is how hypocritical of those who are demanding this type of check... as if they have a spotless past ....

uscitizen
08-16-2006, 10:04 AM
On the same note I read a while back the FBI was dropping the requirement that prospective employees could not ever have used pot. Even if they did not inhale :)

If they were too brutal we would not have an illegal immigrant employee problem.

LadyT
08-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Liability. I really don't have too much issue with it, you don't have to sign on for it, you ultimately choose to do so. I like the fact that there is less of chance criminals will be hired at my company and like USC points out, this is also helpful for stemming illegal immigration. There are many positives to this type of stuff.

OrnotBitwise
08-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Liability. I really don't have too much issue with it, you don't have to sign on for it, you ultimately choose to do so. I like the fact that there is less of chance criminals will be hired at my company and like USC points out, this is also helpful for stemming illegal immigration. There are many positives to this type of stuff.Until it becomes nearly universal -- which it will.

uscitizen
08-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Orwell was correct on the results, his timeframe was just a bit off.

klaatu
08-16-2006, 01:22 PM
On the same note I read a while back the FBI was dropping the requirement that prospective employees could not ever have used pot. Even if they did not inhale :)

If they were too brutal we would not have an illegal immigrant employee problem.

I dont believe Fruit and Veggie Groves do this type of back ground check ....

klaatu
08-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Liability. I really don't have too much issue with it, you don't have to sign on for it, you ultimately choose to do so. I like the fact that there is less of chance criminals will be hired at my company and like USC points out, this is also helpful for stemming illegal immigration. There are many positives to this type of stuff.

No problem with criminal background checks and drug testing ..... but what about the other stuff ...? Notarized statements for gaps between jobs.. etc ...

uscitizen
08-17-2006, 09:44 AM
I guess too many false MBA's floating around out there :)
And they want to make sure you were not fired from a job.
They are not allowed to ask your former employer under what circumstances you left.

Care4all
08-17-2006, 09:54 AM
I think it is going too far, and I too can see it becoming standard in the future...screwing the poor who have bad credit ratings, once again, from any decent job... imo...

it also is an invaision of privacy imo.... what next? are they going to ask your religion and determine this can be a reason not to hire you, for example if you are muslim? Oh wait, that is suppose to be protected...right? well we'll see how long that lasts...

I don't like any of this crap and I was reared in my youth to believe that NO ONE has the right to ask or request your personal information unless they are the one you actually are doing business with, such as the credit card company I have chosen to do business with can ask me about my credit...?

Care4all
08-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Not hiring the person that may have high medical bills....

this will all take place and those with Diabitis and other medical conditions that DO NOT AFFECT their job performance whatsoever will be left in the dust and never get hired by the new company....

it sets up discrimination, imo...against the poor, against the sick, against anyone that decided to take some time off in their career path...

Immanuel
08-17-2006, 10:28 AM
I think it is going too far, and I too can see it becoming standard in the future...screwing the poor who have bad credit ratings, once again, from any decent job... imo...

it also is an invaision of privacy imo.... what next? are they going to ask your religion and determine this can be a reason not to hire you, for example if you are muslim? Oh wait, that is suppose to be protected...right? well we'll see how long that lasts...

I don't like any of this crap and I was reared in my youth to believe that NO ONE has the right to ask or request your personal information unless they are the one you actually are doing business with, such as the credit card company I have chosen to do business with can ask me about my credit...?

You do realize that when you seek employment from and are hired by a company that you are actually doing business with them, don't you?

I am not saying that I agree with such checks. I would need to see how much they go into. But, I do agree with you that this could be used to exclude the poor or muslims or whatever class of human being we currently look down upon.

Immie

Damocles
08-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Wait until they start using DNA pattern checks to deny you healthcare coverage...

uscitizen
08-17-2006, 10:36 AM
As things are now progressing, it is coming.
another 10 yrs and the privacy word will be equated with terrorism.

klaatu
08-18-2006, 04:43 AM
You do realize that when you seek employment from and are hired by a company that you are actually doing business with them, don't you?

I am not saying that I agree with such checks. I would need to see how much they go into. But, I do agree with you that this could be used to exclude the poor or muslims or whatever class of human being we currently look down upon.

Immie

Immie .. I understand drug and criminal... to an extent I can inderstand a credit check.. i.e. if you are going to work for a financial institution ... but like care says ..there are different reasons why one may have less than perfect credit.
But the other stuff is an all out invasion .... there is a line to cross. Justifying why I may have a few month gap between jobs ... what business is it of anyones?
Ive been on both sides of the fences ..and as a person doing the hiring I didnt care about such things. If they passed the drug and criminal and if they had the qualifications and did well on the interview ...thats all I need to know.

AnyOldIron
08-18-2006, 04:53 AM
As a civil servant I had to submit to criminal records checks, which is acceptable, I am in a position of trust. As for credit checks for jobs in the UK, they are very rare if they occur at all. Drug tests occur in certain jobs, HM forces etc but certainly not for civilian jobs. It is none of their business and I would refuse to give one. I'd fail it anyway.

Drug testing and credit checks are certainly far too intrusive and unneeded.