PDA

View Full Version : States Taking Action on Global Warming

Cypress
08-16-2006, 08:50 AM
while the federal government ignores the problem, northeastern states, and states on the west coast are developing solutions to mitigate the problem

Northeastern States to Act on CO2

Seven northeastern states have agreed to form the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, “a model rule that would create the country’s first market for heat-trapping carbon dioxide by curbing emissions at power plants.”

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyid=2006-08-15T225643Z_01_N15423006_RTRUKOC_0_US-ENERGY-STATES-CARBON.xml&src=rss

LadyT
08-16-2006, 08:53 AM
"The states participating in RGGI are Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York and Vermont. Maryland recently adopted legislation requiring the state to join RGGI by June 2007. The states now each have to approve the model rule."

Sounds good to me for an extra $21/yr

Cypress
08-16-2006, 08:59 AM
"The states participating in RGGI are Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York and Vermont. Maryland recently adopted legislation requiring the state to join RGGI by June 2007. The states now each have to approve the model rule."

Sounds good to me for an extra $21/yr

The RGGI said in a statement on Tuesday that homeowners would pay at most an additional $21 annually and would eventually save money as the plan helps power plants become more efficient.

I don't think taking steps to mitigate CO2 emissions will crush the economy. Various cities around the world are already implementing strategies that are not harming local economies. And with efficiency and new technology, come eeconomic benefits.

If we can fix acid rain, and the ozone hole problem from the 1980s, with no detrimental economic effects (thanks Ronald Reagan), I'm confident we can solve this problem.

TheDanold
08-16-2006, 10:43 AM
The states should be setting environmental policy, it would be ludicrous to have Idaho have the same environmental rules and regulations as a Connecticut, because their environments differ so greatly.
Having cities set policy would be even better, after all LA's smog is LA's smog, you may need stronger regulations in LA and weaker ones in Northern Cali.

TheDanold
08-16-2006, 10:55 AM
The RGGI said in a statement on Tuesday that homeowners would pay at most an additional $21 annually and would eventually save money as the plan helps power plants become more efficient.

I don't think taking steps to mitigate CO2 emissions will crush the economy. Various cities around the world are already implementing strategies that are not harming local economies. And with efficiency and new technology, come eeconomic benefits.

If we can fix acid rain, and the ozone hole problem from the 1980s, with no detrimental economic effects (thanks Ronald Reagan), I'm confident we can solve this problem.

What a dip.
The cost of fixing ozone depletion was simply replacing CFC's with HCFC's (which by the way are a greenhouse gas).
The cost of 'fixing' "global warming" (which has been happening for thousands of years) is astronomical and affects everything from cars, air conditioners, heating, stoves, dryers, industrial production, etc..., assuming you buy that human contribution is something not negligible (which I don't when comparing to volcanic emissions) or that global warming is bad (which I also don't when weighed on the whole of pros and cons).

As an example, people in Canada are paying nearly twice the price for slightly more efficient central air units because the government decided to mandate implementing regulations from Kyoto to "help" fight global warming. That's thousands more per family for just the air conditioning change.
It is extreme hardship and will only get worse. What a terrible waste and economy killer.

klaatu
08-16-2006, 02:41 PM

Well.. not only is Ronald reagan responsible for AIDS.. he also gets the rap for the ozone hole .... Dano is right ... you are a friggin DIP ...

FUCK THE POLICE
08-17-2006, 11:55 PM
The green movement is really over in the western states, with the intellectual liberals. The liberals in the northeast are more dumb labour liberals, the equivalent of the theocratic right for liberals. That said, this is good news that they've actually started caring about something other than welfare for their fatasses. It's more than I can say about Mississippi. In Mississippi, the Libertarian party doesn't exist, or exists just barely, the Greens are actually bigger than the Libertarians, but the fascists (Un)constitution party is the biggest. There's very little sympathy for the Greens at the statewide or federal leval (hell, who even knows the name of their state legislator?), but there is a conservation movement at the local level.