PDA

View Full Version : sopranos end

Beefy
06-10-2007, 10:08 PM
I thought the last episode was pretty effing cool. Thoughts?

OrnotBitwise
06-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Mixed feelings. I was frustrated that they didn't tie any of the loose ends up but I was also impressed that they didn't tie any of the loose ends up. Life doesn't actually tie up loose ends, of course.

I was gratified to see Phil's life end in such an . . . appropriate manner. :)

Beefy
06-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I dig it. Philly going the way he did was cool. But the end, the black, I thought was cool. A unique way of sending all the implications, knowing what happened, without seeing what happened.

OrnotBitwise
06-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Left it up to our imaginations, they did. The bastards.

Yes, it was innovative and probably appropriate. You went into it -- I did, certainly, and I expect that most did as well -- certain that they'd have to bring some sort of definitive end to Tony's career. A door just had to close, didn't it? We weren't sure which one but we knew there was one. But they tripped us up.

Cancel7
06-11-2007, 06:35 AM
I never watched this show. Everyone at work is complaining about the ending this morning though. It's times like this I feel like yelling out, there's a war going on, you know! Not you guys, I know you guys know about that. But I never heard these guys talk about anything other than television and sports. One day, I probably will yell it out.

Damocles
06-11-2007, 06:41 AM
I never watched this show. Everyone at work is complaining about the ending this morning though. It's times like this I feel like yelling out, there's a war going on, you know! Not you guys, I know you guys know about that. But I never heard these guys talk about anything other than television and sports. One day, I probably will yell it out.
I stopped watching after the third season because it was phull of suck after that point and just adding more stink to the pile.

LadyT
06-11-2007, 06:41 AM
I don't know Darla. Its probably best to not talk about politics at work. Television shows are relatively benign. I don't think I really want to know the political affiliations and beliefs of some of my coworkers. Stuff like the Soprano's, Idol, and other mindless reality TV shows keep the air light hearted.

Cancel7
06-11-2007, 06:45 AM
I don't know Darla. Its probably best to not talk about politics at work. Television shows are relatively benign. I don't think I really want to know the political affiliations and beliefs of some of my coworkers. Stuff like the Soprano's, Idol, and other mindless reality TV shows keep the air light hearted.

Yeah, that's true. It annoys me though.

uscitizen
06-11-2007, 06:57 AM

Same here, never watched the show. guess I am just unamerican.
But then I recall from amny years ago going into work in Beaverton Oregon on day and everyone is talking about this JR guy that got murdered. I kept thinking who is JR ? Then I found out it was a stupid soap opera.

Cancel7
06-11-2007, 07:22 AM
Same here, never watched the show. guess I am just unamerican.
But then I recall from amny years ago going into work in Beaverton Oregon on day and everyone is talking about this JR guy that got murdered. I kept thinking who is JR ? Then I found out it was a stupid soap opera.

LOL!

Blackflag
06-11-2007, 09:26 AM
***SPOILERS****Same shit I posted on that other forum but no one over there watches it apparently.

I could see it 2 ways really. Bobby and Tony on the boat were talking on the boat earlier in the season and it flashed back to that again last week so it must have been important.

They were talking about whether you hear the one that gets you and what happens when you die. Everything goes blank.

Or all of that crazy tension of the last 10 minutes was just a brilliant way of making you feel what Tony feels every day of his life. That would make the song more appropriate if you listen to the lyrics during that scene.

Either way it was good.

Battleborne
06-11-2007, 10:05 AM
I only watched this program one time at a friends house as my cable channel does not get this program...it was funny but hit too close to home as my Grandfather on Moms side was from Sicily and the characters reminded me of him...lotsa Cuban cigars,Italian rants, arms flailing...and talk of the old country...;)

LadyT
06-11-2007, 10:07 AM
***SPOILERS****Same shit I posted on that other forum but no one over there watches it apparently.

I could see it 2 ways really. Bobby and Tony on the boat were talking on the boat earlier in the season and it flashed back to that again last week so it must have been important.

They were talking about whether you hear the one that gets you and what happens when you die. Everything goes blank.

Or all of that crazy tension of the last 10 minutes was just a brilliant way of making you feel what Tony feels every day of his life. That would make the song more appropriate if you listen to the lyrics during that scene.

Either way it was good.

I didn't actually see the whole episode, but from what I've heard, it definitely proved to be a good one. I think I liked the black screen at the end. And from what I've heard, I definitely think he dies in the end, however, at the same time you don't necessarily want to see the hero of the series go down in such a bloody manner. Also, it could just be from his perspective.....everything goes black after he sees the guy coming in.

LadyT
06-11-2007, 10:08 AM
I like because it makes my commute on the Jersey turnpike feel bad a$$ed......"Drive Safely"

OrnotBitwise
06-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Like a handful of the very best television shows, The Sopranos qualifies as art, I think. There's real substance to it. And, like any serious art, it's not going to appeal to everyone.

I'm a bit impressed that something so comparatively difficult and rough edged became so popular. That's a rare combination: most of the best shows on television have only niche audiences.

Cancel7
06-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Like a handful of the very best television shows, The Sopranos qualifies as art, I think. There's real substance to it. And, like any serious art, it's not going to appeal to everyone.

I'm a bit impressed that something so comparatively difficult and rough edged became so popular. That's a rare combination: most of the best shows on television have only niche audiences.

One of these days I'll catch it on dvd.

LadyT
06-11-2007, 10:44 AM
I have to say, I haven't been to impressed with Sopranos. I only started watching the last season a) because it was on demand b) it was ending and everyone was talking about it c) all my other shows ended.

As far as cable series go, I think it was ok. Dexter is by far better on so many levels.

Damocles
06-11-2007, 10:47 AM
I have to say, I haven't been to impressed with Sopranos. I only started watching the last season a) because it was on demand b) it was ending and everyone was talking about it c) all my other shows ended.

As far as cable series go, I think it was ok. Dexter is by far better on so many levels.
The first two seasons are the only good ones. After that they progressively added the suck until it was a silly soap opera with shrinks and divorce the main attributes of the plot line.

Blackflag
06-11-2007, 11:33 AM

Dexter was way better, The Shield is better, The Wire is better.

The Sopranos was superb for the first 4 seasons after that it was still better than average except for last season.

I watched that John from Cincinatti show and it looks promising. Gonna keep watching it but I can't wait till Dexter and Weeds comes back.

LadyT
06-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Maybe they should have stopped the sopranos a few seasons ago then.

I just started watching the wire. I'm up to season three and I think its great. I haven't seen the Shield, but I do like Weeds as well. Soprano's was pretty far down on my list. I thought Carnivale was one of their best shows of all time.

Beefy
06-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Tony dies.

I was reading the HBO forms on the Sopranos, and one of the posters there hit it on the head.

Tony and Bobby in the boat, Bobby says something to the effect that when you get killed, you don't see it coming, you just go to black.

Tony flashes back to that scene at the end of the second to last episode as he's lying down in the safe house with his gun.

Final scene. Tony walks into the diner, it shows his face, then his point of view. He puts on the song. The bell dings, it shows his face, then his point of view, ie Carmela walking into the cafe. The bell dings it shows his face, then his point of view again, AJ walking in. There's a lot of threes in this scene as well. 3 pictures in the background, three cokes, three onion rings, three clips of the ominous guy at the counter. Then it shows Meadow approaching the diner. The bell dings for the third time, it shows Tony's face, then everything goes black. He gets whacked.

What a freaking cool way to do it.

LadyT
06-12-2007, 12:06 PM
I liked the ending before, but your assessment made me like it even better.

OrnotBitwise
06-12-2007, 12:10 PM
I like it precisely because there's absolutely no way to pin a definitive interpretation on it. He really has left it up to our imaginations, and he's steadfastly refusing to elaborate.

I read the same analysis as Beefy -- it was reprinted in the San Francisco Chronicle -- but don't personally find it convincing. I think it's more likely that Tony would, if the series continued, end up in prison.

:D

Beefy
06-12-2007, 12:35 PM
I liked the ending before, but your assessment made me like it even better.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that this was the perfect way to end the series. So much symbolism and foreshadowing, and then "Dont Stop" and black. Shiver me timbers, I like this David Chase.

I like it precisely because there's absolutely no way to pin a definitive interpretation on it. He really has left it up to our imaginations, and he's steadfastly refusing to elaborate.

I read the same analysis as Beefy -- it was reprinted in the San Francisco Chronicle -- but don't personally find it convincing. I think it's more likely that Tony would, if the series continued, end up in prison.

:D

All the elements are there for a whacking, and that's part of the brilliance of it. It down't show it. It does leave it open, and I say he gets whacked. That's the final word old pal.

uscitizen
06-12-2007, 02:16 PM
And here I thought this was over. A&E is running reruns :(

Timshel
02-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Going to dredge this up as I just finished the series on DVD. I ain't paying for HBO.

He flashes back to the scene on the boat because that's were he got the gun (AR-10) he was carrying and they mention the gun in the flashback. May, well have been for that dual purpose.

I would be happy to think he got killed, so long as his family made it out. He deserved it.

Timshel
02-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Further, I thought the whole series was outstanding. The final season wraps up nicely the notion that was created from the very beginning that Tony is just like anybody else, trying to make a living, he has issues with his wife, kids, mommy, hurts and feelings, waaa... waaa... waaa... he just happens to be in the mob. Mobsters are no different than the rest of us is the way it started.

BS. He's a sociopath, a scumbag and the world would be better off without him.

BRUTALITOPS
02-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Please tell me more

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/magazines/images/v22frogR.jpg

Said1
02-03-2009, 08:15 PM
One of my favorite scenes. It ends rather bad for Christopher.

<YouTube - Christophers Intervention
I always liked the eternally conflicted Carmella. Always concerned about projecting the ideal of respectable mother and Catholic, while her husband is out robbing, pillaging and philandering.