PDA

View Full Version : Evil Insurance Companies

LadyT
08-15-2006, 01:24 PM
At it again

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060815/ap_on_bi_ge/katrina_insurance

"Nationwide and other insurers say their homeowners policies cover damage from a hurricane's wind, but not in cases where it resulted from a combination of wind and water."......

"The Leonards had estimated the total damage to their home at $130,253. They said $47,365 in damage was caused by wind. Nationwide paid only $1,661, blaming the remainder on the storm surge."

What a shame.

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 01:56 PM
We are in the "let the buyer beware" era.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-15-2006, 06:42 PM
At it again

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060815/ap_on_bi_ge/katrina_insurance

"Nationwide and other insurers say their homeowners policies cover damage from a hurricane's wind, but not in cases where it resulted from a combination of wind and water."......

"The Leonards had estimated the total damage to their home at $130,253. They said $47,365 in damage was caused by wind. Nationwide paid only $1,661, blaming the remainder on the storm surge."

What a shame.

Well...

That's why we have FLOOD INSURANCE.

And we have wind insurance.

The two don't go together. If you only bought wind you're an idiot, since winds rarely cause most of the damage.

TheDanold
08-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Living in the south even with hurricanes, you'll still pay less for clothes (no winter clothes), less for snow shovelling and winter related accidents, better gas mileage and most importantly thousands less in heating, so it's not that bad.

maineman
08-15-2006, 08:35 PM
mortgage payments, dano...you forgot about mortgage payments.

maineman
08-15-2006, 08:35 PM
and air conditioning

LadyT
08-16-2006, 08:30 AM
They are bonafied bastards. "Water or wind" but not both? That's ridiculous. They are trying to wiggle out of a contract buy exploiting ambiguous contracts. I hope they nailed in the appeals. I bet the amount that these people have paid in premiums is less than what the insurance companies are offering to payout. Again, evil insurance companies.

uscitizen
08-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Living in the south even with hurricanes, you'll still pay less for clothes (no winter clothes), less for snow shovelling and winter related accidents, better gas mileage and most importantly thousands less in heating, so it's not that bad.

and thousands more in AC costs. fire ants, Snowbirds, Watering restrictions, etc. And on the accidents thing, My auto ins dropped by 2/3 when I moved from Tampa FL to KY.
I still work with people in FL and some of them pay more for homeowners ins than for their mortgage.