PDA

View Full Version : US Media Bias

AnyOldIron
08-15-2006, 06:44 AM
America's one-eyed view of war: Stars, stripes, and the Star of David

There are two sides to every conflict - unless you rely on the US media for information about the battle in Lebanon. Viewers have been fed a diet of partisan coverage which treats Israel as the good guys and their Hizbollah enemy as the incarnation of evil. Andrew Gumbel reports from Los Angeles

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article1219241.ece

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Of course, The good ol USA of A has finally caught up with the former USSR in the propaganda balance of power.
I get most of my news for the middle east from PBS , LINK TV and BBC.

Annie
08-15-2006, 08:53 AM
I find the media way too willing to present the Islamic point of view in terms that do not fit their crimes. No where was this more evident than the past few weeks between Israel and the Iranian proxies.

I get most of my ME news, after reading the papers and watching the news, from bloggers in the countries I'm reading about. I also read Asia Times and the big Israeli english editions.

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Our media just echoes whatever the Bush administration tells it. No investigation or questioning.....sad....

evince
08-15-2006, 09:03 AM
It has gotten a little better ,back in 03 I was just staggered at how blatent is was in reporting the Republican talking points as if they were Fact!

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Yes it has slightly improvwed as Bush's ratings numbers have dropped. the media clearly does not want to follow Bush down the tubes.
Of course with the large Jewish influence and control of our media, our media will continue to favor Israel in their "reporting".

Damocles
08-15-2006, 09:10 AM
I find the media way too willing to present the Islamic point of view in terms that do not fit their crimes. No where was this more evident than the past few weeks between Israel and the Iranian proxies.

I get most of my ME news, after reading the papers and watching the news, from bloggers in the countries I'm reading about. I also read Asia Times and the big Israeli english editions.
I agree. I read some of the blogs from the Christians in Lebanon... There was a totally different perspective as to what was happening and what was being reported.

toby
08-15-2006, 09:43 AM
I agree the media is somewhat biased, but AGAINST Bush, America and Israel!

OrnotBitwise
08-15-2006, 09:45 AM
I agree. I read some of the blogs from the Christians in Lebanon... There was a totally different perspective as to what was happening and what was being reported.
The so-called mainstream media, however, have been relentlessly, reflexively and without reservation pro-Israel and anti-Muslim. Not merely anti-Hezbollah but anti-Muslim.

Sir Evil
08-15-2006, 09:55 AM

There are two sides to every conflict - unless you rely on the US media for information about the battle in Lebanon. Viewers have been fed a diet of partisan coverage which treats Israel as the good guys and their Hizbollah enemy as the incarnation of evil. Andrew Gumbel reports from Los Angeles

How is it that Isreal becomes the bad guys in your eyes? What I have seen in the media is nothing more than the damage inflicted upon lebanon, the doctored photos of the dead, and nazrollah claiming victory.

What I have'nt seen much of was the damage created by the katuysha rockets landing in Israel, the killed soldiers, the dead civilians from this.

I think the better way of putting this is what you get from the media depending on what you would like to hear.....:rolleyes:

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 09:57 AM
The so-called mainstream media, however, have been relentlessly, reflexively and without reservation pro-Israel and anti-Muslim. Not merely anti-Hezbollah but anti-Muslim.
so the mainstream media is antisemitic ?

Damocles
08-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Actually the blogs I read from the people there bespoke of the inaccurate media that portrayed Israel as the bad guys. They spoke of the "party of God" who used citizens as sheilds being the bad guys and the reports of "Christians dying" as false... It was truly interesting reading their perspective as compared to the perspective of the pro-muslim int'l press...

toby
08-15-2006, 10:17 AM
What does the liberal media call a dead terrorist?

a civilian

bob
08-15-2006, 10:46 AM

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article1219241.ece

this sound pretty bias

OrnotBitwise
08-15-2006, 10:48 AM
What does the liberal media call a dead terrorist?

a civilianWhat does the Bush administration call 34 dead children? A good start.

bob
08-15-2006, 11:05 AM
What does the Bush administration call 34 dead children? A good start.

when did they say that ?

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Madeline Allbright when asked about the many dead children from the first gulf war. "It was worth it"

bob
08-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Madeline Allbright when asked about the many dead children from the first gulf war. "It was worth it"

well she isnt in the bush admin now was she

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 11:13 AM
No but the same end justifies the means mentality.

toby
08-15-2006, 11:17 AM
What are you smoking US? That makes no sense at all. NEVERMIND, you rarely do.

bob
08-15-2006, 11:17 AM

how so ?

OrnotBitwise
08-15-2006, 11:20 AM
when did they say that ?
When did the media show the body of someone who was unquestionably a (dead) terrorist and label it as a (dead) civilian?

Toby was wildly extrapolating motives from events -- and events that happened only in his head at that -- again. I was merely pointing this out by putting the metaphorical shoe on the proverbial other foot.

Damocles
08-15-2006, 12:12 PM
What? Somebody not part of the admin says something that you attribute to the administration just because it feels good? Come on, that is truly disingenuous.

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Birds of a feather Damo.
Should I seperate them by party even if they act the same ? I am not that partisan.

Damocles
08-15-2006, 12:42 PM
No, but you should separate them by the fact that one was not a member of this administration and therefore what they say is not part of this admin.

I mean, I could go and say all sorts of things were stated by you if the "If I think it sounds like something they would say" rule applied!

I could just assume that you would say all sorts of things I read and hear from other people and then just attribute it to you... It would be great fun, but not very accurate now... Wouldn't it?

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Me thinks you digress from the topic at the time that my grand offense was committed.

Annie
08-15-2006, 07:17 PM
In all liklihood, that seems to be the case.

Annie
08-15-2006, 07:21 PM
In all liklihood, that seems to be the case.

This should have been included, sorry!

"so the mainstream media is antisemitic ?"

AnyOldIron
08-16-2006, 02:29 AM
How is it that Isreal becomes the bad guys in your eyes? What I have seen in the media is nothing more than the damage inflicted upon lebanon, the doctored photos of the dead, and nazrollah claiming victory.

What I have'nt seen much of was the damage created by the katuysha rockets landing in Israel, the killed soldiers, the dead civilians from this.

Not been watching the mainstream media then?

Having watched ABCnews regularly since this crisis began, and various other US news outlets as and when it is overwhelmingly in favour of Israel.

The majority of the reports have been Israeli-slanted. From the civilians of Haifa to the Russian billionare who built resettlement towns for the Israelis (at the time Israel was denying Lebanon decent aid).

uscitizen
08-16-2006, 07:04 AM
No, but you should separate them by the fact that one was not a member of this administration and therefore what they say is not part of this admin.

I mean, I could go and say all sorts of things were stated by you if the "If I think it sounds like something they would say" rule applied!

I could just assume that you would say all sorts of things I read and hear from other people and then just attribute it to you... It would be great fun, but not very accurate now... Wouldn't it?

Damo, why should I seperate them. I am pretty much non partisan. The subject seemd to be about govt officials not carying about innocent children being killed. I go after the offender not the party, unless of course that offense seems to be one of the partys policy. I believe the "the end justifies the means" attitude is a very bad thing and will slam anyone whom I see using it.

Damocles
08-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Damo, why should I seperate them. I am pretty much non partisan. The subject seemd to be about govt officials not carying about innocent children being killed. I go after the offender not the party, unless of course that offense seems to be one of the partys policy. I believe the "the end justifies the means" attitude is a very bad thing and will slam anyone whom I see using it.
Look. If I were saying that you stated something you didn't say, based on the fact that somebody that I was pretty sure would say the same thing said it, I would be wrong. You are wrong in this case. You should separate them because they are different things.

If I think bob says things that I think you would say, attributing all of bob's statements to you would not be accurate, fair, or truthful. Attributing statements to one administration that were made by another is pretty much exactly the same thing.

uscitizen
08-16-2006, 09:05 AM
HUH? Oh well I give up.