PDA

View Full Version : The Un

bob
08-14-2006, 11:00 AM
how has the UN improved this world ?

maineman
08-14-2006, 11:19 AM
a thought: perhaps you might ask that question of the millions of children who have been saved from starvation by UNICEF. My guess is that they would give you some ideas

bob
08-14-2006, 11:21 AM
a thought: perhaps you might ask that question of the millions of children who have been saved from starvation by UNICEF. My guess is that they would give you some ideas

how about besides humanitarin aid ?

maineman
08-14-2006, 11:29 AM
that wasn't your question, was it?

but.... to play your game....

how about the Korean War?

How about UN observers in all sorts of hot spots around the globe

Immanuel
08-14-2006, 11:40 AM

I definitely do not like the UN, but why in the world would you want to exclude humanitarian aid? Especially after asking the question in the first place and the first answer given was in reference to humanitarian aid?

Immie

uscitizen
08-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Hmm seems like to me the UN was heavially involved in the first gulf war....
But then I guess that was a bad thing ?

klaatu
08-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Hmm seems like to me the UN was heavially involved in the first gulf war....
But then I guess that was a bad thing ?

Was the first Gulf War a bad thing? Saddam should have been allowed to occupy Kuwait?

uscitizen
08-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Just sarcasm aimed at Bob Klaatu :)

toby
08-15-2006, 10:04 AM
How much more effective would the aid have been if it didn't have the waste, corruption and brides required by the UN?

bob
08-15-2006, 10:48 AM

it wasnt, but now it is... somthing wrong with that ?

bob
08-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Just sarcasm aimed at Bob Klaatu :)

whats good about prolonging a war ?

maineman
08-15-2006, 10:50 AM
not a thing...and I answered your second one too.... something wrong with that?

Cypress
08-15-2006, 10:52 AM

Elections.

UN observers, and Jimmy Carter's group ensure that fair and democratic elections take place in emerging democracies.

bob
08-15-2006, 10:52 AM
I definitely do not like the UN, but why in the world would you want to exclude humanitarian aid? Especially after asking the question in the first place and the first answer given was in reference to humanitarian aid?

Immie

no thats a great thing that they are able to do that.. i havent any problems with that answer.... but that shouldnt mean i dont get to ask any other variations of that question.

bob
08-15-2006, 10:54 AM

why are they observing ? why not deal with the problem... isnt that what the un is all about, or are they there too just observer and point fingers ?

bob
08-15-2006, 10:56 AM
not a thing...and I answered your second one too.... something wrong with that?

nope...

maineman
08-15-2006, 10:59 AM
so... now that your question has been answered, are we all done here?

bob
08-15-2006, 11:00 AM
so... now that your question has been answered, are we all done here?

well ... no soup for you!!!

you remind me of the soup nazi on sinfeild

so what good do un observers do ?

Cypress
08-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Elections.

UN observers, and Jimmy Carter's group ensure that fair and democratic elections take place in emerging democracies.

How many bloody examples do you need?

Refugee assistance: UNHCR
Health care: UNICEF
Education and Science: UNESCO

we're done here.

Cypress
08-15-2006, 11:01 AM
How many bloody examples do you need?

Refugee assistance: UNHCR
Health care: UNICEF
Education and Science: UNESCO

we're done here.

Oh, and World Health Organization - the most respected international organization on global health care problems. Like SARS. etc

We're done.

bob
08-15-2006, 11:04 AM
well maine

bob
08-15-2006, 11:09 AM
what sucsessfully have they done too stop any wars ?

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Bobv , appear to be against the UN, but are clueless as to it's functions. How typical.

bob
08-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Bobv , appear to be against the UN, but are clueless as to it's functions. How typical.

no i think the un is great idea, just dosnt seem to be what it should be.

ya they do a great job on human aid... but what else

somthing wrong with me tring to get people opinion on that or am i just saposed to goalong with thing and ask no questions ?

OrnotBitwise
Liberia. Have you ever seen the documentary "Taking Guns From Boys"? I think you should.

bob

no i think the un is great idea, just dosnt seem to be what it should be.

ya they do a great job on human aid... but what else

somthing wrong with me tring to get people opinion on that or am i just saposed to goalong with things and ask no questions ?

bob
08-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Liberia. Have you ever seen the documentary "Taking Guns From Boys"? I think you should.

no i havent... ill check it out

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Well then there is the Balkans problems the UN worked on.

Cypress
08-15-2006, 11:24 AM

that wasn't even your original question.

You're original question was answered. I suspect you were unaware of the multitude of examples you were given, in terms of the UN's function in health care, refugee assistance, science, and social services.

Why are you changing your question now?

bob
08-15-2006, 11:26 AM

You're original question was answered. I suspect you were unaware of the multitude of examples you were given, in terms of the UN's function in health care, refugee assistance, science, and social services.

whats wrong with asking questions ?

what do you want me too start a new threat every time i have a question ?

so either leave it alone, or get over it

bob
08-15-2006, 11:33 AM
whats wrong with asking questions ?

what do you want me too start a new threat every time i have a question ?

so either leave it alone, or get over it

why cypress... do you insiste on being an ass ?

maineman
08-15-2006, 11:33 AM

I served as a UN observer in Lebanon for two years and there weren't any wars started there while I was there. I consider my tour as a UN observer as a great success.

bob
08-15-2006, 11:35 AM
so what would have you done if one was started ?

Cypress
08-15-2006, 11:36 AM

Okay, this is the last time I'm responding to your round-and-round we go game of questions.

Example: Haiti. There would have been a civil war in Haiti without UN peacekeepers there.

bob
08-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Okay, this is the last time I'm responding to your round-and-round we go game of questions.

do you promise ?

maineman
08-15-2006, 11:44 AM
so what would have you done if one was started ?my job was to supervise the truce. If a war HAD started, I wouldn't have had a job to do, so..given the fact that I was, by charter, unarmed...I would have hopped in my jeep and driven south into Israel. I have no doubt that the fact that we were there, monitoring the border... patrolling the area of operation...making our presence felt in every little village.... noting the movements of vehicles.... those actions helped prevent war.

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 11:45 AM
so what would have you done if one was started ?

Bob the UN is not a military organization. They get troops from member nations to sign on to problem areas for peacekeeping purposes.

OrnotBitwise
08-15-2006, 12:00 PM
Bob the UN is not a military organization. They get troops from member nations to sign on to problem areas for peacekeeping purposes.Bingo! The U.N. does not conform to most nationalists' ideas of efficiency. That's because it isn't designed for nationalistic purposes.

AnyOldIron
08-16-2006, 03:57 AM
The UN is only a sum of its parts. Americans often forget the degree of control they have over the UN. The US has used its veto more than any other member of the UNSC.

If you don't like the actions of the UN, maybe a little introspection is needed.

uscitizen
08-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Naaah Anyold, Some would like get rid of the UN thinking it's demise will cure our problems, but we are often the ones causing, contributing to, or obstructing a soloution in the UN.
After all it cant be our (USA) fault.

bob
08-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Naaah Anyold, Some would like get rid of the UN thinking it's demise will cure our problems, but we are often the ones causing, contributing to, or obstructing a soloution in the UN.
After all it cant be our (USA) fault.

no, i dont think that getting rid of the un would solve all our problems

nor do i think that the us is never a fault.

the thing that gets me.. and it probably more assumtion then anything else, but it seems that it dosnt solve the issues, but rather prolongs them, not intentionaly.

OrnotBitwise
08-16-2006, 12:07 PM
no, i dont think that getting rid of the un would solve all our problems

nor do i think that the us is never a fault.

the thing that gets me.. and it probably more assumtion then anything else, but it seems that it dosnt solve the issues, but rather prolongs them, not intentionaly.
It can, certainly. It's a deeply flawed organization, in some ways. The five permanent members of the SC should *not* have absolute veto powers, for one thing.

Consider this, though: do you really want it to be efficient? I'm not joking for once. Do you really want a potentially immensely powerful supra-national government to be *able* to reach decisions quickly? Just like the U.S. government, the U.N. was designed to be inefficient. The mechanisms are different but the goal is the same.

In the more practical sense, I feel that U.N. debate at least has the effect of getting things out in the open. It's a long, long ways from perfect -- Rwanda's proof of that -- but it can help.

bob
08-16-2006, 12:13 PM
It can, certainly. It's a deeply flawed organization, in some ways. The five permanent members of the SC should *not* have absolute veto powers, for one thing.

Consider this, though: do you really want it to be efficient? I'm not joking for once. Do you really want a potentially immensely powerful supra-national government to be *able* to reach decisions quickly? Just like the U.S. government, the U.N. was designed to be inefficient. The mechanisms are different but the goal is the same.

In the more practical sense, I feel that U.N. debate at least has the effect of getting things out in the open. It's a long, long ways from perfect -- Rwanda's proof of that -- but it can help.

ya permanent sc members is kinda silly